Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 am

angola wrote:My frustration is that while it's awesome there are a ton of new tournaments, I for some reason never get Great War tokens so I can't join them. I've been playing a lot of Poison Rome games trying for tokens, but it seems like my opponents tend to get them and not me.

Do you get the cannon tokens for wins in Great War tournaments? Anyway, I'm sure it's just more of CC's lovely random generator.

Sent five tokens your way! Happy to encourage anyone who is showing an interest in this series, and don't let a token shortage stand in your way...:)

And typically, yes, in most Great War tournaments, at least some of the players get some of their tokens back. The prize structure varies, but typically the winner gets back more tokens than he put in (sometimes 4, sometimes even more), the 2nd and 3rd place players get back between one and three tokens (averaging the same as what they put in therefore). The 4th and sometimes the 5th place player get 1 token (half back).

And yeah, you've obviously gotten a rough ride from the random juju.

I won't let a famous name from the tournament world swing in the wind...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby angola on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 am

Thank you!
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:37 pm

angola wrote:My frustration is that while it's awesome there are a ton of new tournaments, I for some reason never get Great War tokens so I can't join them. I've been playing a lot of Poison Rome games trying for tokens, but it seems like my opponents tend to get them and not me.

Do you get the cannon tokens for wins in Great War tournaments? Anyway, I'm sure it's just more of CC's lovely random generator.

I'm feeling a bit of the same. I'm in so many tourney's and when they end I will gain a bunch more but these things never seem to end lol. I guess I'll have to fire up some basic games on rome and try my luck
Brigadier mookiemcgee

Postby IcePack on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:06 pm

This is where trading / auctioning / selling of inventory would come in handy. Those of us who have extra could dish them out to guys who want it for a few measely credits

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm

IcePack wrote:This is where trading / auctioning / selling of inventory would come in handy. Those of us who have extra could dish them out to guys who want it for a few measely credits

+1

mookiemcgee wrote:I'm in so many tourney's and when they end I will gain a bunch more but these things never seem to end lol.

Yeah, the last year saw too many long tourneys and not enough short ones. We're making a conscious effort to change that, but it will take time to have an effect.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Could you offer trading within tribes maybe? No direct benefit to tribe, and would encourage a sense of community within them... A reason to use the forums even.
Brigadier mookiemcgee

Postby IcePack on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

I think it’s a feature that’s been thought of / discussed but idk if it’ll get implimented or what. I doubt it would be just Tribes etc if it goes up it would be for the community as a whole (I assume)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm

If a few more people join, we can run a few rounds of Great War Trivia in the chat rooms!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225401
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Our Remembrance Day promotional week was a great success. Tons and tons of tournaments filled.

Meanwhile, looks like the Lutsk tournament is all wrapped up. That's the first Twelfth Quarter tourney to finish...:D
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:The Spreadsheet

Over the last couple of weeks, LiveLoveTeach has been adding tons of functionality to the spreadsheet. There are now links to every single iteration of every tournament. There's also now an author field and other things. If you haven't fully explored this yet, I recommend you have a look.

Great work, LLT!

:D
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Passchendaele is up and running.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby biscuit boy on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 am

Is the great war token random machine working? It's been 3 weeks since I have gotten 1 and I have 50+ active games. With all the tournaments getting created I have ran out.
Private 1st Class biscuit boy

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am

biscuit boy wrote:Is the great war token random machine working? It's been 3 weeks since I have gotten 1 and I have 50+ active games. With all the tournaments getting created I have ran out.

I sent you a few to get you going. In general, though, you do only get one every few weeks from the random drops on login. To get more, you need to win public games on token-dropping maps.

The current list of token-dropping maps:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207817&p=4556455#p4556466
World 2.1
Classic Cities: London
Germany
World War I Gallipoli
Battle for Iraq!
Italy
Rail Europe
Poison Rome
Land and Sea
4 Star Meats
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby biscuit boy on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks Dukasaur. I forgot about those public games... I tend to only play the tournament games to keep my load of games manageable.
Private 1st Class biscuit boy

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:17 am

biscuit boy wrote:Thanks Dukasaur. I forgot about those public games... I tend to only play the tournament games to keep my load of games manageable.

Yeah, 10-4.

I think we need to look at maybe dropping tokens for tournament games as well. There's a lot of people now who play tournament games exclusively, and we don't want to choke them dry.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jfm10 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

Can i donate 30 of my Great War Cannons to a pool and have Duk distribute when players ask for some?
Corporal jfm10

Postby Mad777 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

jfm10 wrote:Can i donate 30 of my Great War Cannons to a pool and have Duk distribute when players ask for some?

good point, I have 61 of those and don't plan on joining Great War tournaments, if it can be donate I will be more than happy to do so, but I'm not sure if there is a way to do like that
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby IcePack on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am

There isn’t, admin would have to manually take away and add it themselves
That being said if duka gets the admin to do it or code something to automate it I have 64 to contribute to the pool

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm

If it can be done, I have 70 that can be donated to the pool.
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

jfm10 wrote:Can i donate 30 of my Great War Cannons to a pool and have Duk distribute when players ask for some?

Mad777 wrote:

good point, I have 61 of those and don't plan on joining Great War tournaments, if it can be donate I will be more than happy to do so, but I'm not sure if there is a way to do like that
IcePack wrote:There isn’t, admin would have to manually take away and add it themselves
That being said if duka gets the admin to do it or code something to automate it I have 64 to contribute to the pool
LiveLoveTeach wrote:If it can be done, I have 70 that can be donated to the pool.

I would love to have the ability to do that, or even to have an inventory-trading feature on the site.

Sadly, I don't. Meanwhile, perhaps you guys could just once in a while join some of these tourneys...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I guess I will have to, despite I didn’t want to increase my game count like I told you thru PM... 8-)
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:-------As I take a seat just past the Battle Map. Gen. Currie leader of the Canadian forces stands in the middle of the War room, and goes on to speak,"I would like to say The fighting at Passchendaele took a great bravery by all involved. The efforts of all these men were truly remarkable. But I would like to read of the names of 9 Canadians, who did acts of some super human nature. That has earned them all the Victoria Cross:
1-Pvt.Thomas Holmes
2-Cpt Christopheer
3-Sgt. George Mullin
4 Maj. George Pearkes
5 Pvt. James Peter Roberson
6 Cpl. Collin Barron
7 Pvt. Cecil Kinross
8 Lt. Robert Shankton
9 Lt. Huge Mckenzie
-------"I would like to Honor at this time all THE CARRIER PIGEONS of PASSCHENDAELE. One of whom, wounded badly was able to make it to it's objective in delivering an important message.Died shortly after. Is awarded the Victoria Cross. I would like the world to know ,those birds are the real victoers of the battlefield."

-------As Currie walks away ,the War room goes quiet for along time. As we all remember all the lost souls , animals and men of both sides of THE BATTLE OF MUD.

Very nice!
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Looking through the highlighted tourneys, the vast majority are cases where the tourney probably paid out more medals than it really should have. This is not a problem. If some people raked in a little bonus, I'm not worried about it. The opposite situation, where the number of Battle Medals is significantly less than the Difficulty Rating, is gratifyingly rare. There are, in fact, only three tourneys where this is an issue:
  • Heligoland Bight, from Oct 2014
  • Race to the Sea, from January of 2015, and
  • Trentino, from June of this year
The last, Trentino, is still active, so I'll just edit those to include a Battle Medal for 2nd place. For the first two, I will give the extra Battle Medals manually.

For the 2nd place winners in the 3 iterations of Heligoland Bight:
Donaldp03
macbone
Bullet Justice

For the 3rd place winners in the 4 iterations of Race to the Sea:
Awoodness
igotaished
stealth99
Osman76
]

Done.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

The Zeppelin

(No, not the Led Zeppelin! This is about the kind that flies and drops bombs. :D )

Rigid airships, or Zeppelins, were one of the new technologies that changed the world in the early part of the 20th century. They played a small but significant part in the Great War.

General ideas of this tournament. The rapid pace of technological change is represented by Escalating spoils. The wide open movement that airships allow are represented by a random choice of Unlimited or Parachute forts. There are No Trenches in the sky. Round 1 will be sunny, but after that the effect that the weather had on operations will be represented by random sun/fog.

1. Small hot air balloons known as Konming Lanterns were first used for signalling as early as China's Han Dynasty. The first hot air balloons large enough for human passengers were flown by the Montgolfier brothers in 1792. The first military application of a Montgolfier-style ballon was at the Battle of Fleurus during the French Revolutionary Wars. However, Napoleon disbanded the balloon project in 1799 and development stopped for 50 years. In the middle of the 19th century, people became interested in the concept again and there was extensive use of observation balloons during the Franco-Prussian War and the American Civil War. Work on airships of various designs continued in France, Britain, Germany and the United States throughout the second half 19th Century. The first fully-controllable airship was the French Army's La France, launched in 1884.

Tournament Round 1: Military ballooning had been used in ancient China (Three Kingdoms of China), during the French Revolutionary Wars (France 1789), during the (American Civil War) and the Franco-Prussian War (Unification Germany). 4 X 5-player Standard games, all sunny.

2. Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin served as an observer with the Union Army in the American Civil War and was introduced to the concept. After the war, he met a German balloonist in St. Paul, where he made his first flight and was hooked for life. He early on had ideas which would eventually pay off. He made his first sketches in 1874, of a new kind of airship with many small bags contained in a rigid frame. Many years of struggle and disappointment followed, but he never gave up. In 1895 his idea was patented and in 1900 the first prototype was built. The third prototype, LZ3, was launched in October of 1906 and from then on Zeppelins were a going concern. Between 1906 and 1914, Zeppelins carried 37,250 people on over 1,600 flights without an incident, ushering in the age of air travel.

Tournament Round 2: I don't want to re-play maps like Unification Germany and American Civil War -- although they represent key events in Count von Zeppelin's career, we've already seen them in Round 1. In the second round, let's go with Steamworks and its ballooning motif. 3 X 5-p games.

After Round 2 we're done with the background and getting into the war itself. We will therefore cut the field from 20 players to 14 before starting Round 3.

3. The Zeppelins of WW1 are known for their raids over England, but in fact those were a tiny part of their duties. Zeppelins operated by the Navy patrolled the North Sea and other coasts. Their range and their ability to stay aloft for long periods made them ideal scouts and patrols for the Navy. Zeppelins participated in several naval battles including Dogger Bank, but their real importance lay in what they were able to observe during quiet periods: British minelaying operations, convoy movements, weather conditions, and much else. Altogether more than 1000 missions were flown.

Tournament Round 3: The Zeppelins were great Naval scouts. Maps reflect North Sea trading nations: British Isles, Nordic Nations, Netherlands, Denmark, and Europa. 5 X 7-p Standard games.

Ten players advance to Round 4.

4. Meanwhile, bombing raids began on the England. The first raids were against naval targets along the coast (Extreme Global Warming). Four months later the first attack was made on London (Classic cities London). Over the next two years there were several hundred casualties, but the actual strategic effect of the bombing was trivial. The real value of the raids was in fear and psychological stress on the civilian population (Duck and Cover). Technological development continued on both sides: the British introduced barrage balloons, searchlights, and incendiary ammunition, while the Germans countered with inert gas fire retardants, gas ventilation shafts, better steering, more powerful engines, and higher and higher altitudes (Arms Race). With the steadily increasing altitudes, the bombing got less and less accurate, although it hadn't been particularly effective to begin with. It was more or less a game of luck (Poker Club).
    wikipedia wrote:A total of 84 Zeppelins were built during the war. Over 60 were lost, roughly evenly divided between accident and enemy action. 51 raids had been made on England alone,[N 1]in which 5,806 bombs were dropped, killing 557 people and injuring 1,358 while causing damage estimated at £1.5 million. It has been argued the raids were effective far beyond material damage in diverting and hampering wartime production: one estimate is that the due to the 1915–16 raids "one sixth of the total normal output of munitions was entirely lost."[105]

Tournament Round 4: Bombing of cities, although inaccurate, caused great panic. 5 X 5p Terminator games, one on each map listed above.

5. The Finale: 6 players advance to the final and scores are reset. Four of the five maps represent the first four rounds. Round 1 is represented by American Civil War, Round 2 by Steamworks, Round 3 by Denmark, and Round 4 by Duck and Cover. The final map, Dark Continent, represents the ill-fated attempt to use a Zeppelin to resupply Lettow-Vorbeck's forces in German East Africa.

-- DK
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives