Conquer Club

3rd USAS Contest -- Maryland

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which CC map best represents the state of Maryland?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Operation Drug War -- because the TV series "The Wire" is set in Baltimore and enormously popular there
7%
England -- one of the original English colonies, a good choice to represent the USA's origins as an English colony
7%
British Isles -- For much the same reason, but noting that the "English" kings were actually kings of Great Britain and Ireland
45%
Baseball -- because the great Babe Ruth and a long list of other baseball greats are from Maryland
9%
Iberia -- Fort George Meade, an important military installation is there. General George Meade was originally born in Cadiz, Spain.
3%
Land and Sea -- Annapolis is the sailing capital of the U.S. It is also home to the U.S. Naval Academy. Also, Tom Clancy, writer of geopolitical thrillers, is from Maryland
29%

Total votes : 157

3rd USAS Contest -- Maryland

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Part of the USA Supertournament event.

Several maps in the USA have not been decided. These are indicated in the original list by "TBA". These contests are being run to determine the best maps to represent states which have not already been decided.

This contest is the third in the series, and it is here to determine the map which best represents Maryland.

Suggestions and reasoning:
  • Operation Drug War -- because the TV series "The Wire" is set in Baltimore and enormously popular there
  • England -- one of the original English colonies, a good choice to represent the USA's origins as an English colony
  • British Isles -- For much the same reason, but noting that the "English" kings were actually kings of Great Britain and Ireland
  • Baseball -- because the great Babe Ruth and a long list of other baseball greats are from Maryland
  • Iberia -- Fort George Meade, an important military installation is there. General George Meade was originally born in Cadiz, Spain.
  • Land and Sea -- Annapolis is home to the U.S. Naval Academy, which trains sailors and Marines. Also, Tom Clancy, writer of geopolitical thrillers, is from Maryland

General Rules of the Contest
  • There can be no duplications. A map that is already assigned to another state cannot be used again.
  • Before a poll is put up, the thread will be open for at least a few days for people to add suggestions.
  • Anyone can make a suggestion, but please limit yourself to one suggestion.
    If the list is short, I may accept a 2nd suggestion from people who have already made one.
  • Once the poll has been posted, no more suggestions will be accepted.
  • The poll will run for at least a week.
  • Once the poll closes, if any suggestion has a majority of the votes, it will be accepted.
  • If no suggestion has a majority, but the top suggestion has more votes than the 2nd and 3rd place suggestions combined, it will be accepted.
  • If neither of those is true, the top 3 suggestions will be referred to the Community Team for a final decision.
  • The person who made the winning suggestion will get a lovely Image GA medal.
  • If the winner was chosen by clear majority or by the "1>(2+3)" rule, then the winner will also get 1000 credits!
  • If the winner was chosen by a Community Team shortlist procedure, then the winner will get 400 credits and the authors of the other two suggestions on the shortlist will get 300 credits each.

show: states already decided
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: 3rd USAS Contest -- Maryland

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Previous suggestions:
Operation Drug War (jmyork)
England (thorthoth)
Baseball (groovysmurf)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 pm

In addition to those, there are two "America" maps which have not yet been used -- Fractured America and USA 2.1.

There are 5 more TBA states after this one. I am hoping they will get used at some point.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby groovysmurf on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:00 pm

The reason I suggested Baseball for Maryland is because Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat, was born in Baltimore and attended Saint Mary's Industrial School. Other Major League Ball player besides "The Babe" born in Maryland include Cal Ripken Jr., Billy Ripken, Lefty Grove, Frank (Home Run) Baker, Harold Baines, Al Kaline, Denny Neagle and Jimmie Foxx.
Last edited by groovysmurf on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
āœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæ
āœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæāœæ
Colonel groovysmurf
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby djelebert on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

I suggest Iberia.

NSA Headquarter, Fort George G. Meade is in Maryland. It's also USCYBERCOM, DISA, DCS and MICECP headquarter.

George Gordon Meade was born in Cadiz in Spain. I don't put his biography as I think American already know his biography and his part in American Civil War, as Major-General United States Army.
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 pm

I chose the England map for Maryland as it was originally a English colony founded by a charter granted to Cecil Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore in 1632.
Obviously a number of other eastern states also began as English Colonies, but since all the other English colony states, except North Carolina, already have other maps chosen for them. it seems that Maryland would make a good choice to represent the U.S.A.'s English origins.

By the way, looking ahead, I intend to suggest the U.S.A. 2.0 map for North Carolina because it's extensive use of airplane motifs will make it a fitting tribute for the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk and the Birth of Flight.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby jmyork82 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am

Operation Drug War was chosen for Maryland because of the crime drama series The Wire. The Wire was set in Baltimore, Maryland and was an accurate depiction of Baltimore's institutions and how they were effected by the drug trade. For those who are familiar with the show will see the obvious link to this map and would think it a great choice. Although, this is not a popular map and will probably lose the vote to more player friendly maps. Below is a link for people to follow if they need more information about the show and how it would relate to Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

ā€¢ Baseball players are kind of born, like, everywhere...
ā€¢ An obscure reference to a long-ago cancelled TV show.
OR
ā€¢ A commemoration of the English colonial foundations of the United States.

Gee, this is such a hard decision.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:49 am

I suggest British Isles.

As Thorthoth pointed out, Maryland was one of the original 13 English Colonies - and was established by a charter in 1632 that was granted to Cecil Calvert, the 2nd Baron of Baltimore, after his father - George Calvert - died 2 months prior.
However, this charter was granted by King Charles I, who was, in fact, the King of Great Britain and Ireland - not just the King of England. British Isles contains all of the land that King Charles I was once sovereign over.

As an additional fun fact, Maryland was named after Queen Henrietta Maria, who was the Queen Consort of Great Britain and Ireland, but was born in France.
http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/01 ... /name.html
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby jmyork82 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:54 am

Thorthoth wrote:ā€¢ Baseball players are kind of born, like, everywhere...
ā€¢ An obscure reference to a long-ago cancelled TV show.
OR
ā€¢ A commemoration of the English colonial foundations of the United States.

Gee, this is such a hard decision.

The Wire wasn't canceled. And not an obscure reference to Maryland. People from Maryland, especially from the Baltimore area revere the show. It was a Biopic of the city of Baltimore.

But, I get that you have to sell your suggestion, which means belittling other suggestions while making yours sound like the perfect representation of the state. "Let's play on a map of England because that is SO Maryland"

But like I said, my map isnt a popular one, so when it comes to a vote, its going to be either you or groovysmurf.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby TX AG 90 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't put his biography as I think American already know his biography and his part in American Civil War, as Major-General United States Army.

You give us way too much credit...
Private TX AG 90

Postby TX AG 90 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 pm

But like I said, my map isnt a popular one, so when it comes to a vote, its going to be either you or groovysmurf.

I think more people like Operation Drug War than Baseball - THAT map is horrid!
Private TX AG 90

Postby TX AG 90 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm

I was going to go with Halloween Hallows since Poe is from Baltimore and buried there. The Ravens are named after hi poem. However, Kansas took that map.

I then was going to go with American Civil War since the state of Maryland itself was divided during the war. However, Virginia rightly has that one.

I'm going to have to go with my 3rd choice:

In Honor of Tom Clancy, one of the greatest American writers, I will go with Land and Sea. Clancy who was born and raised in Maryland and was part owner of the Orioles up until his death, always had his hand on the geopolitical pulse of the entire world. He predicted Russia's invasion of the Crimea years before it happened. He wrote of a riot in Libya in which American agents died years before Benghazi. He wrote a book about North Korea's nuclear program many years ago. Many of his books involved Naval strategies as well as military strategies of land forces. Land and Sea would be perfect.
Private TX AG 90

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 am

TX AG 90 wrote:I was going to go with Halloween Hallows since Poe is from Baltimore and buried there. The Ravens are named after hi poem. However, Kansas took that map.

That would have been a good one...
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby TX AG 90 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 am

In Honor of Tom Clancy, one of the greatest American writers, I will go with Land and Sea. Clancy who was born and raised in Maryland and was part owner of the Orioles up until his death, always had his hand on the geopolitical pulse of the entire world. He predicted Russia's invasion of the Crimea years before it happened. He wrote of a riot in Libya in which American agents died years before Benghazi. He wrote a book about North Korea's nuclear program many years ago. Many of his books involved Naval strategies as well as military strategies of land forces. Land and Sea would be perfect.

In addition, Annapolis is considered the sailing capital of the US (if not world) and is home to the US Naval Academy, which trains Naval Officers AND Marine Officers - Land and Sea is perfect.
Private TX AG 90

Postby djelebert on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 am

Apparently, Maryland hasn't interest... :-)
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

djelebert wrote:Apparently, Maryland hasn't interest... :-)

We had plenty of lead time available, so I left suggestions open longer than usual. Six suggestions is a decent crop.

Poll is up now.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm

It should have been Fractured America, in honor of the NSA headquarters. Oh well.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm

There seems to be some confusion...
I WILL CLEAR IT UP.

At the time of the founding of Maryland in 1632, Charles I was King of three separate Kingdoms: England, Ireland and Scotland. Great Britain as a unified kingdom did not yet exist.

The various royal titles of Charles I are irrelevant to the FACT that the Charter of Maryland was granted to an Englishman and settled by English colonists,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Great_Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Maryland

It would be a historical travesty to use the vague and less accurate Great Britain map in place of the more accurate and precise England map.

It should also be mentioned that my idea for an England map is what conceptually led that otherwise dull-witted LLT to the starting gate with her misguided great Britain map idea.
So I deserve all of her votes

And she should also be banned... perhaps for being racist to Scottish and Irish people.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Thorthoth wrote:There seems to be some confusion...
I WILL CLEAR IT UP.

At the time of the founding of Maryland in 1632, Charles I was King of three separate Kingdoms: England, Ireland and Scotland. Great Britain as a unified kingdom did not yet exist.

The various royal titles of Charles I are irrelevant to the FACT that the Charter of Maryland was granted to an Englishman and settled by English colonists,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Great_Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Maryland

It would be a historical travesty to use the vague and less accurate Great Britain map in place of the more accurate and precise England map.

It should also be mentioned that my idea for an England map is what conceptually led that otherwise dull-witted LLT to the starting gate with her misguided great Britain map idea.
So I deserve all of her votes

And she should also be banned... perhaps for being racist to Scottish and Irish people.

Please allow me to provide you with more relevant facts and references than Wikipedia.

maryland.gov wrote:Maryland's name honors Queen Henrietta Maria (1609-1669), wife of Charles I (1600-1649), King of Great Britain and Ireland, who signed the 1632 charter establishing the Maryland colony.

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/01 ... /name.html

royal.uk wrote:He became heir to the throne on the death of his brother, Prince Henry, in 1612. He succeeded, as the second Stuart King of Great Britain, in 1625.

https://www.royal.uk/charles-i-r-1625-1649

So it appears to me as though Great Britain did indeed exist.
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Bashing Wikipedia is a cheap shot, as is trying to gain credibility by linking modern 'UK' sites.
If anything, some of those modern British/UK sites are more likely to be intentionally vague and inaccurate about when Great Britain became a political entity. They have every reason to try to over-solidify the recent origins of the now quite shaky ''United Kingdom''.

Here is a great video that also explains some of those political changes. The second half is most relevant. Again, it is stated that the Kingdom of Great Britain is founded in 1707.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby tzor on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 pm

We need a map that emphasizes crabs. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby Will Lee on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17 pm

I vote for British Isles for no better reason than that I like th real Britsh Isles.
Sergeant Will Lee

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:29 pm

TX AG 90 asked me to add that the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis trains both sailors AND marines. I was able to add it in the OP, but I don't want to change the wording in the poll, because these forum polls are touchy and data can be lost with even a trivial edit.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Thorthoth wrote:There seems to be some confusion...

You're welcome to argue for your suggestions and against other people's. Try to keep ad hominems out of it, though.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Next

Return to Announcement Archives