Conquer Club

Métro Parisien v.17

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Métro Parisien v.8

Postby waauw on Tue May 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Bruceswar wrote:What graphics program are you working with? I will show you something if you can let me know.
Font looks good on the large, but not so hot on the small. This map is getting better.

GIMP 2.8 and thanks, I'm doing my best to get better :)
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 am

Great progress.

=D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby djelebert on Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Really nice job!

The bus lines added and connection between airports can make it really interesting to play.

Just few remarks on design :

- The 13th line is not clear to distinghish from the font

- The white rings are too "flashy", maybe another font colour could be better.

I think number of lines in legend could be taken for bonus indication, as it's impossible to put all, the numbers are not a sequence; and for people who've never been in Paris, it could be confusing.

Hope this map be available early! :roll:
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby macbone on Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 am

Why not bonuses just for holding all the stations on a particular line, like Def to CdV? Or maybe they're not lines after all. I guess breaking them up does make them easier to take.

What about a bonus for holding X number of landmarks?

Have you tried a version with the station names? It looks a bit confusing with the abbreviations. Something like this is a bit easier to read:

Colonel macbone

Postby waauw on Thu May 28, 2015 6:33 am

macbone wrote:Why not bonuses just for holding all the stations on a particular line, like Def to CdV? Or maybe they're not lines after all. I guess breaking them up does make them easier to take.

As you noticed, breaking them up makes them easier to take and hold. Otherwise the bonuses would be unobtainable and indefensible.

macbone wrote:What about a bonus for holding X number of landmarks?

I could do this however I feel it would overcomplicate the maps with too many bonuses. If I add this, I add it in replacement of objectives or in replacement of auto-deploy bonuses.

macbone wrote:Have you tried a version with the station names? It looks a bit confusing with the abbreviations. Something like this is a bit easier to read:

I have. Some of the station names are so long that the map would look overcrowded with text.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.9

Postby waauw on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 am

Ok, since we once again have an active cartographer, I guess I can continue:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

changes:
  • lines are thinner by 2 pixels
  • darkened stations too make less bright on the eyes
  • line 13 darker, to make it easier to distinguish
  • coloured the monuments

djelebert wrote:I think number of lines in legend could be taken for bonus indication, as it's impossible to put all, the numbers are not a sequence; and for people who've never been in Paris, it could be confusing.

The occurence of B- and C-lines are should be sufficient of a hint to distinguish them from bonuses, and I like to keep the line numbers because it fits the theme.
I did adapt to your other remarks.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Given the small number of maps being worked-on, MB hopefully wont be too swamped, although it would be cool if he had some assistance.

Anyway, I haven't studied your map in great detail yet but it's looking good for this stage of development. Lots of bonus talk above although I imagine that can be mostly analysed in the next forum?

The tiles as an outside border is great. =D> They are very clean, later on you may want to embellish with a small touch of graffiti? Or not, just an idea.

On the subject of icons, I'm not sure what is to the left of Cou, or Def? And the small black icons stand-out more (eg. tennis, churches) so maybe they could go a bit grey? It would be cool if the Eiffel Tower were more prominent maybe? Could it go in front of the red line?

Am I right in thinking your stations with bus links are underlined?

Someone pedantic might say that the Bus/Air interchanges need to have symbols touching the station army circles, but I personally think its obvious to players which region the buses/airports belong to.

Good work, we definitely need a Paris map.

=D> =D>

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Teflon Kris wrote:Anyway, I haven't studied your map in great detail yet but it's looking good for this stage of development. Lots of bonus talk above although I imagine that can be mostly analysed in the next forum?

Gameplay has such a large impact on everything I appreciate early comments.

Teflon Kris wrote:The tiles as an outside border is great. =D> They are very clean, later on you may want to embellish with a small touch of graffiti? Or not, just an idea.
Had the same idea, however I reconsidered due to the fact that the board itself took so much place and there was very little wall left for graffiti.

Teflon Kris wrote:On the subject of icons, I'm not sure what is to the left of Cou, or Def? And the small black icons stand-out more (eg. tennis, churches) so maybe they could go a bit grey? It would be cool if the Eiffel Tower were more prominent maybe? Could it go in front of the red line?

That's "la Défense". Quite an impressive buidling, though I should probably work on that one. And I'll see what I can do about the rest as well.

Teflon Kris wrote:Am I right in thinking your stations with bus links are underlined?

Someone pedantic might say that the Bus/Air interchanges need to have symbols touching the station army circles, but I personally think its obvious to players which region the buses/airports belong to.

Good work, we definitely need a Paris map.

=D> =D>

Yes, except apparently I forgot to underline la Gare du Nord(GdN). And thanks.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.10

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

show: starting positions and bonuses

show: gameplay

Changes:
  • cleaned up a bit of sloppiness I noticed when zooming in
  • Eiffel Tower and Défense
  • wrote a couple of names full
  • changed bonuses for lines so they make more sense
  • Étoile now gets a +2 auto to compensate for more easy bonuses on the right
  • added an autodeploy to st.lazare to compensate for easier bonuses on the right
  • removed the victory conditions as they seemed unnecessary

PS: I have no idea what else is expected of me to get this a draft stamp, so I'm proceeding to work on the gameplay.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Nice update, I like the new tower and some of the minor icons fading to grey.

Gameplay-wise, there are a lot of bonuses available but, as its pretty much an adaptation of the classical-bonus-system (as opposed to conquest etc) then, although you may want to tinker with the values of the bonuses, there's nothing that would mean a restructuring of the map and/or connections.

Unfortunately for you, the bonus calculator may not be entirely accurate given that you have overlapping bonuses.

Plus, as you have noticed by adjusting the etoile auto-deploy, it is worth considering the bonuses available in different parts of the map - some maps have well calculated bonuses but may have lots of small bonus areas close together which creates an issue with the drop etc (ie. the player that can grab a bonus and hold with strength first, goes on to take more bonuses quickly and win ...).

:-)

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:43 am

Teflon Kris wrote:Gameplay-wise, there are a lot of bonuses available but, as its pretty much an adaptation of the classical-bonus-system (as opposed to conquest etc)

Not sure I get what you mean.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:35 pm

waauw wrote:
Teflon Kris wrote:Gameplay-wise, there are a lot of bonuses available but, as its pretty much an adaptation of the classical-bonus-system (as opposed to conquest etc)

Not sure I get what you mean.

Just that, the gameplay seems fine for the drafting room as it would only ever need fine-tuning (i.e. the most that would ever be needed would be adjustments to the values of the bonuses).

:-)

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Draft stamp for you!

Hi,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get around to this.

I like the theme you're working with here, and will leave some comments (mostly housekeeping):

- some connections unclear,
eg. Mu -> TE -> PodG ?
eg. SDU -> PSdF ?

- the helipad on Issy is quite difficult to spot (unless you know where it is), whereas the airports CDG and Orly are nice and clear

- the yellow line (Defense -> CdV) is quite difficult to see on that background, and also the colours of the routes aren't the same as those in the legend

- for that matter, I find the bonuses quite difficult to tell apart, as I have to keep referring to the legend then sifting through all the region names on the map to figure out where they are....I thought maybe where one bonus ends you could do a little visual indicator like changing the style on the text or something?
eg. on the Defense -> CdV line it's not immediately clear that Defense -> Lo and CDV -> Chat are each separate bonuses....I feel that a lot of people will assume you need the whole coloured line for the bonus...maybe it would be easier to have each bonus a different colour?

- bus connections...there's a black BUS icon and a blue BUS icon...are they ALL connected or is it just black <-> blue ??
eg. can I get a bus from ChMr -> Pds or do I have to go through a blue one first?

- if using GIMP, you can hold both SHIFT + CTRL when drawing a line or path, it will give you nice 15 degree increments, keeping lines nice and straight/parallel, and also avoiding some minor aliasing issues
eg. the line from Jus -> PldI is wonky

- I know it's a pain to change all the text, but I'm wondering if it's possible to have some more more complete region names and less abbreviation?
eg. Justin (or whatever) where you have Jus
I feel that fleshing out the names will give it more of a Parisian feel! And so long as you pick a nice clear font, they should fit even on the small map.

- some maps (eg. Ireland) have a border around the map for the large version, but remove the border and scale down a little bit for the small version, which buys you some more pixels to work with and makes the small version less squeezed...you could think about doing this (ie. removing the brick outline for the small version)...it doesn't make a huge difference, but when you have a lot of regions already it can help

Up next is gameplay commentary, and we'll think more about graphics later! I'll be back soon to have a closer look at bonus values etc.

Cheers waauw, thanks for your time.
MB
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby waauw on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 am

ManBungalow wrote:the colours of the routes aren't the same as those in the legend

Yeah I've changed the colours so often already that it ended up that way. However I left it as is because the colours aproximate each other sufficiently to be hard to notice and to be clear.

ManBungalow wrote:- for that matter, I find the bonuses quite difficult to tell apart, as I have to keep referring to the legend then sifting through all the region names on the map to figure out where they are....I thought maybe where one bonus ends you could do a little visual indicator like changing the style on the text or something?
eg. on the Defense -> CdV line it's not immediately clear that Defense -> Lo and CDV -> Chat are each separate bonuses....I feel that a lot of people will assume you need the whole coloured line for the bonus...maybe it would be easier to have each bonus a different colour?

The problem is that it will compromise the concept. Either I mention the names of the lines and keep the colours, or don't mention them at all and then I can use whatever colour I like. Let me know what you think is best.

Using various shades of the same colour is problematic as well considering my background isn't unicolour.

ManBungalow wrote:- if using GIMP, you can hold both SHIFT + CTRL when drawing a line or path, it will give you nice 15 degree increments, keeping lines nice and straight/parallel, and also avoiding some minor aliasing issues
eg. the line from Jus -> PldI is wonky

It's supposed to be wonky. That's how the real subway line in Paris curves. I drew my lines straight over a subway-map.

Thanks for the advices though. I worked on the rest.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.11

Postby waauw on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Changes:
  • colour line 1
  • some names written full, some cut to pieces a bit to be able to write a full word, some remain the same
  • heliport clearer
  • cleared up C-line connection at Eiffel tower
  • smaller version has no wall
  • changed text on sticker
  • made ovals slightly smaller to create a bit more space
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:36 pm

Some good improvements, just still not 100% sure about the BUS connections! See above.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby waauw on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 am

ManBungalow wrote:Some good improvements, just still not 100% sure about the BUS connections! See above.

Yeah I wrote it in the sticker to make it absolutely clear, though splitting bus explanations might not be optimal. :|
Will see what I can do about it.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.12

Postby waauw on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

I got myself a co-mapmaker, many thanks to the artistic hero GeneralFault.
Changes:
  • fonts
  • colours
Lieutenant waauw

Postby GeneralFault on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks Waauw, for the nice words!
Cook GeneralFault

Re: Métro Parisien v.12

Postby waauw on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Testing colour blindness:
Protanopia:
Click image to enlarge.

Deuteranopia:
Click image to enlarge.

Trinatopia:
Click image to enlarge.

==> only problem I can find so far is line 9 and 7 for Deuteranopia.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.13

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Changes:
  • Several lines are now shorter, will have to change some bonuses
  • trees
  • fonts
  • fixed some typo's and a wrong name
  • P. Dauphine is no longer connected to line C as IRL. This will enable easier bonus grabbing in the west outbalancing the east.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Extreme Ways on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Maybe it's an idea to change the colour of the Seine a bit? At first sight I thought it was a metroline, but I can't really think of a way to fix it as it's too small to put a nametag on it probably. I don't know if it's any better if you paint little waves on it either, but it's an idea.
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby GeneralFault on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Extreme Ways wrote:Maybe it's an idea to change the colour of the Seine a bit? At first sight I thought it was a metroline, but I can't really think of a way to fix it as it's too small to put a nametag on it probably. I don't know if it's any better if you paint little waves on it either, but it's an idea.

it will be in the next version, if waauwagrees as well.
Cook GeneralFault

Postby waauw on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Wrote up a temporary xml file.
Attachments
Métro Parisien.xml
(28.52 KiB) Downloaded 794 times
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Métro Parisien v.14

Postby waauw on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.