Conquer Club

Scalable Vector Graphics

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Scalable Vector Graphics

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm intrigued by this topic, because I see it as a means to integrating the gameplay and graphics of a map into one file, but I don't have any real experience with SVG. Does anyone in the Foundry have any opinions on how effectively SVG can be used for the quality of graphics we have come to expect here at CC? Should we be asking for SVG support alongside PNG, GIF and JPEG? Would its scalability mean the end of a need for two map sizes?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, I can tell you Good Morning Woodboro was done almost entirely in SVG, as was most of the other stuff I've posted recently. It's a very convenient format, and you can do a lot with it. On the other hand, it's not so good with filters that take a lot of calculation, so for stuff like glowing and blurring, you'll probably want to touch it up with a raster program. The same goes for textures -- though there may be a good way to do those that I haven't explored yet.

Fortunately, you can insert raster images into SVGs pretty conveniently (or at least with Inkscape you can), so it's not difficult to mix the two. Though if you're going to scale those up and down, you'll want the rasters to have a fairly high resolution.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Return to Foundry Discussions