Conquer Club

Classic map

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Classic map

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:57 am

Got most of the article written but the only piece that is not there is who is Lynn for the lucky charms map. If you know, ask them to come forward, if you are them, please come forward.
It has been a very long time since this map was even on the site so I think it is safe to come out of the box now.

Please do not post the answer in the thread

Guys and Gals, I need some info over the coming week about the best loved Classic map. As some of you know, I am doing a piece for the Dispatch on revamped maps and the one area I have not been able to get info on is the revamp of classic. sully800 has left the site so he is of no info, I have found various images like this one

from a thread started by gimil.

I know of the classic shapes and classic art but info on these would be great. I tried to PM MrBenn but he has not been on the site for a couple of days (I believe he was the FF at the time).

Any info that you have on this, can you PM it to me and not post in the thread. This is so that the rest of you get to read it at the same time and not have the surprise spoiled. ;)

One other favour, if any of you have images of maps before they were revamped, it would be great if you could let me have them as well.

Thanks all.

koontz.
Last edited by koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Revamped Classic map (answers needed)

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 am

Classic Shapes was done by someone who went by the moniker "Lynn." I still to this day do not know who that is, and have never seen a post by said person in the Foundry itself. I went to bed one night with that map you've got there for Classic, and woke up the next morning with Classic Shapes in its place.

Classic Art was a product of what was called the Star Chamber. There were six members, I remember WidowMakers, Incandenza, MrBenn, oaktown, gimil, and yeti_c. I could be wrong, you can doublecheck with the medals given out for Classic Art. It was a map taken from concept to reality in less than a week, since Classic Shapes was more or less utterly reviled by everyone.

The present classic actually started as simply "World Cities," with a flavor of gameplay SIMILAR, but not identical to Classic. At some point (and you'd need to get with MrBenn for this), it was decided to tweak the gameplay to perfectly match Classic and replace the still-not-liked-as-much-as-the-original Classic Art and Shapes (both maps were kept live even after Classic Art went up). It got announced as The New Classic in the main foundry, and proceeded from there.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 am

TaCktiX wrote:Classic Art was a product of what was called the Star Chamber. There were six members, I remember WidowMakers, Incandenza, MrBenn, oaktown, gimil, and yeti_c. I could be wrong, you can doublecheck with the medals given out for Classic Art. It was a map taken from concept to reality in less than a week, since Classic Shapes was more or less utterly reviled by everyone.

I can promise you that I had nothing to do with that map!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 am

gimil wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:Classic Art was a product of what was called the Star Chamber. There were six members, I remember WidowMakers, Incandenza, MrBenn, oaktown, gimil, and yeti_c. I could be wrong, you can doublecheck with the medals given out for Classic Art. It was a map taken from concept to reality in less than a week, since Classic Shapes was more or less utterly reviled by everyone.

I can promise you that I had nothing to do with that map!

Yes, gimil is right, he has nothing to do with that. The people who developed Classic Art were mibi, WidowMakers, oaktown, Incandenza, yeti_c and MrBenn. In addition must be said that, last March, their map medals were switched to a general contribution medal for consistence. In fact the map was developed without going through the Foundry Process.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 am

Ah, switch gimil for mibi. I got it in my head that all the present CA's were involved with it, and three others.

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:08 pm

If I recall correctly, the Classic map has been through more than a couple of revamps!

The original classic was revamped slightly to adjust some of the region colourings, clarify borders and add colours to the legend.
A later revamp took the appearance of a flying saucers invasion when the opacity/darkness of the army circles was changed to enhance visibility.
Classic Shapes appeared overnight one day; the Star Chamber convened and Classic Art was born (and completed) during a 24hr mapmaking session.
As others have stated above, Classic Cities (World Cities) subsequently went though the foundry proper and was selected to replace both Classic Shapes and Classic Art - although Classic Shapes lives on for members of the Cooks Academy .
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:52 pm

MrBenn wrote:...although Classic Shapes lives on for members of the Cooks Academy .

Well, the territory naming, yes, but not the map itself.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:...although Classic Shapes lives on for members of the Cooks Academy .

-Sully

Sully, if the map is different, can you grab a copy and send it to me please.

Thanks guys.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully

Sully, if the map is different, can you grab a copy and send it to me please.

Thanks guys.

The map is not different. It just has the letter number combo still A1, N4, etc
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 am

If someone can get these in order for me and double check the names to make sure the right person gets credit and let me know if any maps are missing.
Click image to enlarge.

gimil
Click image to enlarge.

?
Click image to enlarge.

mibi, WidowMakers, oaktown, Incandenza, yeti_c and MrBenn
Click image to enlarge.

sully800

So who gets credit for the classic (lucky charms) map and is that the same one the SoC uses?
Do I have the original map from when the site started? and if not, can I have it or am I allowed to show it. I know we had legal problems which caused all of the revamps.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:40 am

The lucky charms map has only the epithet "Lynn." I was never told who that was, nor has anyone professed to having put it out.

As for the original, gimil didn't do that, and I'm also not sure who did. Minus a few minor tweaks (which might have been done by gimil, I forget), it was original to the site when it first launched.

Postby natty dread on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:44 am

I think it was lackattack's "graphic designer friend" who made the first Classic map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am

natty_dread wrote:I think it was lackattack's "graphic designer friend" who made the first Classic map.

Demonart developed the maps that Conquer Club initially launched with.

I think everyone has pretty well answered the questions in this topic, but if there are any others, I can stop by again.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 pm

wow 2nd and 3rd are really really horrible. yuck.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby macbone on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Yeah, Shapes and Art were kind of painful to play. I wasn't around for the original Classic, but I was thrilled when the new Classic went live. We still use the naming from Shapes in our training, though - Deploy to N4, attack N6, that kind of thing.
Colonel macbone

Postby MrBenn on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Here are some links to old threads/announcements that might help...
There was a brief "touch-up" of the map in Jan 2008: viewtopic.php?p=1074030#1074030
In April later that year the flying saucers arrived when lack took it upon himself to change the army circles with no prior warning. The fallout resulted in the following thread/poll: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=48700
Classic Shapes/Classic Art (Oct 2008): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67707
Classic/World Cities (Oct 2009): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98456
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 pm

My god you guys are a fountain of knowledge. It is going to take a while to sift through everything. Thanks everyone, will try to get the article to fit it all in and do it justice. Looks like Classic might just get its own edition.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby oaktown on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Classic Art wasn't the greatest piece of art ever made here, but the process was fascinating and I'm proud of what we did. A group of us watched as mibi threw the basic elements together in a webcast before our eyes, while the rest of us error checked, wrote the XML, came up with names and the theme, etc. We passed the .PSD file around to whomever had time to fix connections, add troop containers, etc, and the entire thing was done in under 24 hours.

Proves that it doesn't need to take 9 months to make a CC map... though I'd agree that it takes more than 24 hours to make a really good map.

If anybody knows who made ClassicShapes, they aren't telling. No, it wasn't me.
Captain oaktown

Postby zimmah on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 pm

DiM wrote:wow 2nd and 3rd are really really horrible. yuck.

guess you never saw them then? i placed on them for a while, they were basicly just created as placeholders until we got some better "classic" map because the previous classic map was taken out to prevent copyright claims or something.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby RjBeals on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm

oaktown wrote:If anybody knows who made ClassicShapes, they aren't telling. No, it wasn't me.

... I'm sure there's a couple of old timers who may know the secret.
Private RjBeals

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:32 pm

oaktown wrote:Proves that it doesn't need to take 9 months to make a CC map... though I'd agree that it takes more than 24 hours to make a really good map.

some of the best maps out there were done in a LOT less than 9 months and this is no mystery to anybody. :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:34 pm

zimmah wrote:
DiM wrote:wow 2nd and 3rd are really really horrible. yuck.

guess you never saw them then? i placed on them for a while, they were basicly just created as placeholders until we got some better "classic" map because the previous classic map was taken out to prevent copyright claims or something.

no. i was out of the picture when the whole hasbro problem appeared and copyright laws made lack wet his pants and change the dice change the terms and change the maps :lol:
Major DiM

Re: Classic map (answers needed) Who is Lynn?

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:16 pm

And when the article is hitting a major thesis, still some stumbling blocks.

Got most of the article written but the only piece that is not there is who is Lynn for the lucky charms map. If you know, ask them to come forward, if you are them, please come forward.
It has been a very long time since this map was even on the site so I think it is safe to come out of the box now.

Please do not post the answer in the thread
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby RjBeals on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm

some things are better kept secret.

(and it wasn't me either).
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:48 am

koontz1973 wrote:who is Lynn?

The CAs at the time (oaktown, gimil and I) do not know.
There's a slim chance that Andy or Twill may know.
Lack will probably know.

My gut instinct tells me that not really very many people care that much now in any case...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions