Conquer Club

Methods & Trick Party

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Methods & Trick Party

Postby grifftron on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:15 am

Just wondering if you map makers ever get together and share methods and tricks for graphics.

If you have already passed a map on CC and would like to share ideas or teach me how to do certain tricks and what not please feel free to PM me and we can swap skype accts.

Skype has the neat feature of "share screen" which lets you see the entire screen of the person you are talking with (In case you didn't know already). It is a very fun way to learn new tricks and what not on different graphic programs like Photoshop or Gimp.

I am very interested in learning more then I already know (which is not much) on photoshop. If you have the free time to show me some stuff let me know. If you don't have a mic or just don't want talk that's OK too, typing is alright.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Methods & Trick Party

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 am

There use to be a fair amount of public forum sharing:
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=73566&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=73575&start=0

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby grifftron on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 am

AndyDufresne wrote:There use to be a fair amount of public forum sharing:
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=73566&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=73575&start=0

--Andy

Ah yes I read those a couple years ago when i joined... but this is more for talking and communicating live, I learn a lot quicker this way, already had a good response from a few people already and added on skype, hoping to get more interested in this, I think it would be a great way to share ideas and learn from each other, or just plain out teach others as I myself am looking to learn more then to teach :)

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:47 am

If you have specific questions on how to do something, a lot of the other mapmakers have been known to post examples, descriptions, and even full tutorials in a map topic under development.

Best of luck, hope you find some brainstorming and mentoring partners!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:56 am

You could join the mapmakers consortium user group. I've been planning to implement some kind of method sharing thread over there.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:59 pm

The thing with user groups or other threads that show you how to do stuff is I could skype with someone, "share screen" and learn something in a matter of minutes as they explain and show me visually what it is what they do with something rather then spend 30 min to an hour reading the same thing and trying to go back and forth messing with it myself and referring back to the thread to make sure I am doing it right.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 am

Yeah, then you're just limited to the advice of people who 1) use skype and 2) have the time to advise you in real time. But I guess every plan has it's ups and downs.

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:00 am

natty_dread wrote:Yeah, then you're just limited to the advice of people who 1) use skype and 2) have the time to advise you in real time. But I guess every plan has it's ups and downs.

Stop being a dick :roll:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:16 am

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Yeah, then you're just limited to the advice of people who 1) use skype and 2) have the time to advise you in real time. But I guess every plan has it's ups and downs.

Stop being a dick :roll:

Why don't you stop being a dick to me? Lately, whenever I see your posts, you've been taking small digs at me whenever you have the chance. If you have something against me, just say it, and maybe we can work things out like adults... or if that's too much to ask, then just ignore my posts, foe me, whatever.

Grifftron doesn't need you to defend him from imaginary insults. If he's offended by my post for some reason I'm pretty sure he's perfectly capable of telling it to me himself. For that matter, nothing in my post was in any way meant as any kind of dickery, the fact that you interpret it as such frankly says more about you than me.

Postby grifftron on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:55 am

Well I already got a few "big" time map makers interested and added VIA skype... I know there are other ideas and ways to do this like some have posted, but of course this is the way I like to do it, so if you like to do it another way feel free :)

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah that's fine... of course you'll do it the way that suits best to you

Postby RjBeals on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 pm

widow and I shared screens once, it was awesome. That guys a genius. What also helped me was sharing psd's. Both mibi and widows have given me there completed psd's and just picking through the layer and styles, and learning how they built the map was a good learning experience also.
Private RjBeals

Postby grifftron on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:31 pm

RjBeals wrote:widow and I shared screens once, it was awesome. That guys a genius. What also helped me was sharing psd's. Both mibi and widows have given me there completed psd's and just picking through the layer and styles, and learning how they built the map was a good learning experience also.

That would be very interesting also.. why don't you go ahead and send me all your psd files of your past projects :twisted: :lol:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Return to Foundry Discussions