Conquer Club

The Discworld Map..

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I...

Total votes : 0

Re: The Discworld Map..

Postby macbone on Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

To be safe, it might be a good idea to contact Mr. Pratchett again.

Here's an earlier version of Jota's original map:

It looks like he had to remove the turtle, so that might be proprietary material.

But he basically worked from this:

Click image to enlarge.

I love what MB has done. It would be a significant graphics upgrade. Is there a way for us to contact Jota, maybe by sending him an email?
Last edited by macbone on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel macbone

Postby grifftron on Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm

The above is way badass... but comon guys.. lets just make our own maps instead of going after old maps to get medals. If you got the skills... make your own map, unless our maps have a serious problem and are un-playable because of some old graphic glitch... leave em alone.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby IcePack on Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 pm

grifftron wrote:The above is way badass... but comon guys.. lets just make our own maps instead of going after old maps to get medals. If you got the skills... make your own map, unless our maps have a serious problem and are un-playable because of some old graphic glitch... leave em alone.

-griff

+1

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby darth emperor on Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 am

IcePack wrote:
grifftron wrote:The above is way badass... but comon guys.. lets just make our own maps instead of going after old maps to get medals. If you got the skills... make your own map, unless our maps have a serious problem and are un-playable because of some old graphic glitch... leave em alone.

-griff

+1

+2
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 am

darth emperor wrote:
IcePack wrote:

-griff

+1

+2

-3 bitches.

I highly doubt ManB is doing this for a medal. I think it's more likely he realizes what a good map this is to play on, but it sucks graphics wise. You know, like North America did, and that's why they revamped it.

So what if he chooses to spend his time making a map with fine gameplay better? It's his choice, not yours. People are harping about how the aesthetic of this website is very 1996 still, so why don't we focus on the maps that look like they were made back then and correct them so they look nice?
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby darth emperor on Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:
darth emperor wrote:
IcePack wrote:

-griff

+1

+2

-3 bitches.

I highly doubt ManB is doing this for a medal. I think it's more likely he realizes what a good map this is to play on, but it sucks graphics wise. You know, like North America did, and that's why they revamped it.

So what if he chooses to spend his time making a map with fine gameplay better? It's his choice, not yours. People are harping about how the aesthetic of this website is very 1996 still, so why don't we focus on the maps that look like they were made back then and correct them so they look nice?

I didn't like also the revamp of NA map. True, that the aesthetic of the website is very 1996. But new maps come, and they will look more modern. But if you feel more nostalgic than you can play this old maps.

We have many maps, and not every map should be equal. Game play is different, image is different, style is different, why should we have the same "modern" aesthetics. It should be more variate. In 3 years, you'll say the same of the new maps, and you'll be revamping all the maps.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Armandolas on Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 am

I support a revamp...only if you include the giant turtle in it :D
Colonel Armandolas

Postby grifftron on Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Why start with this map then? Why not start with the maps that actually look like crap on this site... I can name at least 10 that should be revamped before this one... some made within the last couple years! Do those first.

Thanks

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Kinnison on Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't think a revamp is vital. It wouldn't hurt, however. I STRONGLY oppose the "example" graphic. It's a beautiful PICTURE, but a crummy map. MUCH more contrast needed for my old eyes.

Please remember, the purpose of a CC map should be first and foremost to be a CLEAR DEPICTION OF THE GAME IN PROGRESS. Looking "stylish" is a DISTANT secondary concern.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby IcePack on Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
darth emperor wrote:
IcePack wrote:

-griff

+1

+2

-3 bitches.

Lets revamp the site to not look 1996, then we can look at the maps.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Ceetar on Thu May 23, 2013 3:37 pm

the new idea looks a little too globe like and not enough disc-like from that angle though.

also, where's Great A'Tuin?
Captain Ceetar

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:48 am

Voted "No" to revamp before I looked at proposed revamp, just a quick glanced made me change my vote. New map looks awesome :)
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am

grifftron wrote:Why start with this map then? Why not start with the maps that actually look like crap on this site... I can name at least 10 that should be revamped before this one... some made within the last couple years! Do those first.

Thanks

-griff

Go ahead and propose some revamps. Joe and his staff probably wouldn't be opposed to it if the graphics were stale and needed a refresh.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby grifftron on Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

In no particular order... and I am sure I missed some.

These are just maps I think would need revamp before DISC world... and just the ones I think people enjoy playing on... haven't even mentioned the bad looking maps that I don't think make good maps at all.

Oh and put this at the top of the revamp list.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Voice on Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Poster child
Major The Voice

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Just goes to show how subjective this kind of thing is.

3/4 of the maps on Griff's list are maps I really like the look of. Midkemdil is positively beautiful, all those bright colours, like a walk through a botanical garden. Jakarta is very nice. Northwest Passage is one of my all-time favourites. Greater China is excellent. None of the others are particularly awful. Gilgamesh looks ancient, but it is supposed to -- that's the whole point.

If we wanted to slam maps, I could provide my own hate list. (OH IT"S SO DAMN TEMPTING, BUT I WON'T) Really it would be an unproductive exercise. Graphics are so incredibly subjective. You obviously hate some things that I like, and vice versa. Pick 10 people and get 10 different lists, I'm sure.
Okay I just can't help saying something about those disgusting First Nations maps... all those multiple shades of brown look like feces and vomit swirled together.

The question here is not whether Discworld is the worst map on the site, but whether a person who has stepped forward and volunteered to improve it should be allowed to try. And I believe he should, not because the map is particularly in need of it, but because in a volunteer situation one has to give the volunteers a great deal of latitude in where they want to spend their energy.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Wow, there is nothing wrong with most of those maps posted by grifftron. Some of them just aren't eye candy, but at the same time well done.

This is an ugly map. Bevel and Emboss is never a good combination.

There are a few others like this.

Oh and Beta map Philadelphia... I absolutely hate it. Cannot read it and won't play it. I mean, most of the maps done by that artist are great, but that one is hideous imo and it's part of the so called "new and better." Where do you start with something like that, when taste is so subjective?

BTW, I like Manbungalow's Discworld. Looks nice.
00:33:53 ā€¹riskllamaā€ŗ will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I doubt it
00:34:30 ā€¹LiveLoveTeachā€ŗ I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Gilligan on Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 pm

the only ones on griff's list I would pick are Madness and Hong Kong.

Also, Portland is very unique. No way it's a poster child for revamping...
Captain Gilligan

Postby grifftron on Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 am

OK ok... maybe I shouldn't of brought up the maps I thought needed revamp over disc world because that is kinda irrelevant.

What I should of went with is, map artists go through weeks and weeks of work onto their maps, and those that have done it before realize that the process can take up to a year if not longer. Is it fair to have all of that work go to waste just to be replaced by another revamped version of their map? UNLESS it is unplayable for some graphic reason or one cannot read the old passed writing on the map? Ill leave you all with that thought because I don't honestly care if you revamp this map or not, I just like stating my opinion and that is all.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ender516 on Sat May 25, 2013 5:32 pm

I tend to agree with you. It seems a bit harsh to throw away someone's hard work just because tastes have changed. I would rather see the site implement a "skins" system on maps so that different versions of graphics could be used by different players on the same map. This could allow old versions and new versions to coexist, as well as specialized ones (more colour-blind friendly, perhaps?) or extra sizes.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 25, 2013 6:16 pm

ender516 wrote:I tend to agree with you. It seems a bit harsh to throw away someone's hard work just because tastes have changed. I would rather see the site implement a "skins" system on maps so that different versions of graphics could be used by different players on the same map. This could allow old versions and new versions to coexist, as well as specialized ones (more colour-blind friendly, perhaps?) or extra sizes.

i would like a skins system for the entire site, like what PokerStars has.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DaveH on Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 am

I think you need to capture more of the spirit of Terry Pratchett's writings and perhaps have a few "magical" links from Ahnk to other parts of the map - and perhaps the linkages across the seas and some other parts of the map carry a -1 or more "bonus"

Discworld II perhaps?
Corporal DaveH

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am

Funny, Wisse (developer of Greater China) stopped in live chat just now to see if we thought he should revamp his map. I said yes, but he doesn't see an issue with his graphics.

I agree with griff that some of the newer maps are ugly but that's subjective. What I like to see revamped are ones that are flat or hard to follow because of the gfx choices made. Of the ones Griff posted, I would say the ones needing revamp are Actium (hard to follow), Greater China (BORING), Hong Kong (1996 era graphics), and Land and Sea (designed by a first year art student). Some of the others you may not like but at least they have graphics instead of flat looking colors thrown onto a map.

I'm fine with CMC being removed. The gfx are nice, gameplay sucks though.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I voted yes. From an administrative standpoint, holding work for the sake of work is backwards thinking. If we can assert ourselves to aim to provide our users with a more top-notch experience in every aspect of the site (yes, yes, things haven't been perfect, I know), then I believe that we certainly should! The perfect solution would be ender's skins idea, but that is something that would take quite a bit of time to setup and complete.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 am

If you like the skins idea, keep in mind that the large/small map size feature has the basic elements of skins in it.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions