Conquer Club

The Discworld Map..

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I...

Total votes : 0

The Discworld Map..

Postby ManBungalow on Sun May 19, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm a big fan of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and I'm really pleased that CC has a Discworld map.

However, I played a game on said map and realised how dated it looks. And, while Jota created a map with sound gameplay, it doesn't really capture the spirit of the Disc for me.

I've messaged nobodies about this, and he's suggested that I make this thread and a poll. Since Jota no longer visits this site, I need popular demand to undertake a revamp.

Here's a preview of what I'd like to achieve:

Click image to enlarge.

Audience, cast your votes now.

Current map image:
http://maps.conquerclub.com/Discworld.S.jpg
Colonel ManBungalow

Re: The Discworld Map..

Postby Gilligan on Sun May 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Wow, wow, okay, um, upload this.
Captain Gilligan

Postby greenoaks on Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

awesome proposed revamp.

you have my support.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun May 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Yep - its cool - do it
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Seamus76 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm just not sure on this yet. I love your version and pretty much all of your work, and think it is a definite upgrade to the current version, but as a map maker i'm pretty sure I would be less than happy to make a map and come back after a period of time only to see my map no longer exists. It's one thing if the original cartographer is involved, which I know he's not on the site anymore, so I'm really on the fence about this. If it's the will of the people though, then it is what is. I guess my next question would be what constitutes the will of the people, 10 votes, 50, 1000?
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:44 am

Well, I personally think that discworld can be considered one of the maps on CC that really needs to be revamped. It's not ugly, but as ManB said, it really shows as a dated map.
So, I'm totally in favour of having it revamped. :)

About the original mapmaker, I understand that usually we ask to the original mapmaker to give permission to revamp the map, but in this case Jota is no longer available so we don't have a way to contact him.
So, considering that he gave the permission to CC to use the images as long as the site will see them fit, we're going to apply what is written in our map agreement and we will allow ManB to work on a only-graphics revamp if there's a community desire for it.

No gameplay changes will be applied on the map apart in the case that a very important issue will arise.

Any suggested change on the gameplay will be evaluated not only by the mapmaker but also by the CAs and its application on the map will be dependant only to the playability of the map. We need to keep in mind this map has been in play for a long time so we don't want to give the cummunity a totally new map to play but just one with a more appealing look.

Then, Conquer Club Community....do you want the graphics of this map revamped?

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 am

As long as the map isn't as dark as the above. I like the easy to distinguish quality that the original low-res map has. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby grifftron on Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 am

Cool map you made there, but I don't see why we need to revamp all the classics on this site.... take that talent and make a new map instead of revamping a perfectly fine, playable map.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby takman2k on Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

Vote to Revamp.

That map has always scared me some how but i bet its just like an Italy or Egypt map in playing. I think any new creation would get attention. However, i would also reintroduce it with a tourney, or *spectacle*.
Sergeant 1st Class takman2k

Postby IcePack on Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

It's way to dark, unless thats changed i vote no.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 am

My assumption is the vote is for ManB to get a thread for an official revamp - not for this one to go forward.

Anyone who doesn't vote to revamp the old sad maps like discworld can PM me for a foot straight up their ass. The graphics of this site are crap (I mean the UI, not the maps) and we really need awesome looking maps. Discworld is an example of a map with very good gameplay that needs a more modern look.

tl;dr? Vote yes or I'll f*ck you up.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:My assumption is the vote is for ManB to get a thread for an official revamp - not for this one to go forward.

Yes, actually the point is understand if a revamp will be welcomed or not.
I assume ManB posted his current draft to give an idea of what he would like to do while testing the general consensus.

Ace Rimmer wrote:Anyone who doesn't vote to revamp the old sad maps like discworld can PM me for a foot straight up their ass.

:lol:
This goes right now into my signature.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby darth emperor on Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

grifftron wrote:Cool map you made there, but I don't see why we need to revamp all the classics on this site.... take that talent and make a new map instead of revamping a perfectly fine, playable map.

-griff

Same here. Is not an outdated map, it's a classic map. If we continue like that, every few years we are going to be revamp all the maps.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby laughingcavalier on Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm

It's a fake! I don't see any turtles.
And everyone knows discworld is flat.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Honestly, can anyone really compare this:

Click image to enlarge.

to this:

and not think that the first looks better? Not perfect, but compare them and look. Don't be complacent, demand that maps are as beautiful as Tisha (and her maps).
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby laughingcavalier on Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Well I voted yes, but no map could be as beautiful as tisha.
And there is an important point of comparison.
Neither map has turtles.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby regan the great on Mon May 20, 2013 3:59 pm

i say leave it alone its a great classic map,go use your talents on something new.
Major regan the great

Postby shrub on Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm

I think the large point of Discworld being flat has been missed...

Turtle would be cool, but I do like the classic.
Wanted : New doubles partner, one who can actually get good, or even reasonable dice :)
Clive wrote: some people have lives. i envy them.
Major shrub

Postby frankiebee on Mon May 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Im against a revamp. I like nostalgia, and especially on theme based maps I would never like to see a revamp. When the England map was revamped I thought it was a shame that one of the oldest maps was totally changed in graphics, as I rather fancy old scool looking shit.

But Discworld would be another story. England was a map based on a country and it would maybe be kinda weird to make another England map. Discworld is a classic map, one of the first based on a theme that had little to do with the real world, It looks like a map from 10 years ago, yes, but hey, so does look the entire lay out of CC.

Use your talent and map making skills to make Disc World 2.0 with fancy graphics and more complex and fun game play, I see no need to completely change the lay out of a map that is a CC history piece.

(For the lulz: My first 2 years on CC I always thought the map was called ''Disco World'', and I didn't understand shit about why the graphics had nothing to do with Disco :lol: )
Colonel frankiebee

Postby Dako on Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 am

Revamp is good but skip the effects, stars and sun and stuff like that. Add elephants and a turtle with good light colors and you have my go. Proposed map in OP doesn't look good to me and I prefer current version over proposed right now. But revamp would be cool.
Colonel Dako

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 am

I'm in favour.

Some richer colours like you have there would be nice.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby takman2k on Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:My assumption is the vote is for ManB to get a thread for an official revamp - not for this one to go forward.

Anyone who doesn't vote to revamp the old sad maps like discworld can PM me for a foot straight up their ass. The graphics of this site are crap (I mean the UI, not the maps) and we really need awesome looking maps. Discworld is an example of a map with very good gameplay that needs a more modern look.

tl;dr? Vote yes or I'll f*ck you up.

Thats 15 feet now, if you need my size 13 to help out, i can!
Sergeant 1st Class takman2k

Postby ender516 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am

Does anyone have any details of the permission given by the Discworld copyright holder regarding this map? Does CC have the right to alter this map or create another in its place?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Ace Rimmer on Tue May 21, 2013 12:29 pm

ender516 wrote:Does anyone have any details of the permission given by the Discworld copyright holder regarding this map? Does CC have the right to alter this map or create another in its place?

No details in public, not sure if jota ever gave any to the foundry people or directly to lack before this went live. Here's what he posted on the forum:

viewtopic.php?p=8286#p8286

So I would assume as long as it's all derivative work (nothing copied from Pratchett) then it should still be fine.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby laughingcavalier on Tue May 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
ender516 wrote:Does anyone have any details of the permission given by the Discworld copyright holder regarding this map? Does CC have the right to alter this map or create another in its place?

No details in public, not sure if jota ever gave any to the foundry people or directly to lack before this went live. Here's what he posted on the forum:

viewtopic.php?p=8286#p8286

So I would assume as long as it's all derivative work (nothing copied from Pratchett) then it should still be fine.

Yes I too read the permission granted being as valid for a revamp as it was for the original map.
Major laughingcavalier

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions