Conquer Club

MapStarter 2017

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

MapStarter 2017

Postby iancanton on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:12 pm

CC is known for its incredible maps, created by many talented community members over the years. With so many maps already, the focus of Team CC hasn't been to create more maps recently. However, we decided it is time to...

Bring The New Maps

MapStarter 2017 is Cartography meets KickStarter on CC... a way of encouraging a new wave of creativity, and new playing experiences for our players, all while rewarding the mapmakers for creating great stuff that people want. Mapmakers should note that a number of new features such as Stages and Transformations have been developed, but are yet to used. It's been rumored that bigWham will personally kick in to any maps using these features.

Here is the MapStarter process:

• Make a map proposal by starting a thread in the Melting Pot: Map Ideas forum with "MapStarter:" at the start of the topic
  • Proposals with a map image will move to the Drafting Room forum
  • A valid proposal, which must always have a mapmaker, receives approval from the cartography team
  • All approved proposals receive a reward of 10 Cakes in CC11 (while it is still running) as well as a general contribution medal
  • Other players commit credits to the map project by posting in the map thread, withdrawn from their accounts shortly after the commitment is made
  • Credits are held in escrow until the project is either fulfilled or cancelled
  • If credits are not available from a player, then the commitment is withdrawn
  • A minimum amount of 1,000 Credits committed will be required for a map to proceed as a MapStarter
  • A map will be created within 12 months, unless otherwise stated by the proposal
  • The project will be cancelled if the map is not released to beta after the time period has passed, unless agreement is achieved between mapmakers and funders representing at least 50% of committed funds
  • If the project is cancelled, then all committed credits are returned
  • CC will match all committed credits (so total reward will be 2x the committed amount)
  • Reward pool is distributed equally to project participants, unless an alternative scheme is agreed by all participants in advance
  • Rewards are distributed on milestones, being 50% on beta release and 50% on transition to live map.

Six hours to go!

ian. :)
Last edited by iancanton on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: MapStarter 2017

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Can existing draft maps be changed to MapStarter Projects, that haven't entered Beta yet? :)

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby iancanton on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:23 am

the mapmaker can indeed apply for his or her map to take part in MapStarter 2017, using the same method.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:52 am

Can we have more simplified maps focussing more on basic tactics, rather than special rules?

People often ask me why I don't play anymore given my record and feedback. One of those reasons is that the game added a ton of new rules and map specific complications.

Often the maps devised are a quarter to a third taken up by special rules.

So, I guess what I would ask would be less of a focus on novelty, and more a focus on core play.

But hey, I'm just a person who stopped playing.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:12 am

A seasoned military commander would find that to be nonsense.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby owenshooter on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 am

are the foundry activities also going to be moved to the GD with the upcoming changes? seems like you have an entire forum to put this in... perhaps and announcement would have been more appropriate, vs. hijacking the GD... this could breath some much needed life into the foundry!!-Bj
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Keefie on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:52 am

owenshooter wrote:are the foundry activities also going to be moved to the GD with the upcoming changes? seems like you have an entire forum to put this in... perhaps and announcement would have been more appropriate, vs. hijacking the GD... this could breath some much needed life into the foundry!!-Bj

GD is for discussion about Conquer Club.

This is about Conquer Club.

The End.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dakky21 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:33 pm

This sounds like fun but I fear it will end like #GCCM... which also brings the point of what people want... maybe you can change a concept so people first vote for which kind of map is needed?
Captain dakky21

Postby Hooch on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby HuSongHua on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Sounds like a great initiative to me!
Private HuSongHua

Postby dakky21 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Should we post ideas as text there (literally) or each submission should have a piece of graphics, at least rough sketch?
Captain dakky21

Postby IcePack on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 pm

If you are a map maker and are considering making a map, let it be known here and come see me if your map is one of the following:

1) a BR friendly map
2) a map designed (size wise) to be iPhone & iPad friendly
3) a map that is related to clans somehow (similar to clandemonium in concept, but can be any type of map doesn't have to be the same exactly)

I'll support any of the above projects with credits to the designer.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Ltrain on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:Image

A seasoned military commander would find that to be nonsense.

looks fun to me
Major Ltrain

Postby dakky21 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm

If i'm not mistaken this map is already in the beta stage? So this one can't count as mapstarter project...?
Captain dakky21

Postby Xatrius on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:20 am

I'd love to see a Boston map :D
Cadet Xatrius

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:48 am

Kabanellas!
Were are u u are needed for more awesome maps!
Sergeant 1st Class Lord Arioch

Postby TX AG 90 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Can you be more specific about how players can commit to a map project (especially for those of us who don't know how to navigate a forum)?

I searched today and couldn't find any ideas to commit credits too.

Thanks,

TX
Private TX AG 90

Postby Keefie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Lord Arioch wrote:Kabanellas!
Were are u u are needed for more awesome maps!

and cairnswk, he's made some crackers.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

TX AG 90 wrote:Can you be more specific about how players can commit to a map project (especially for those of us who don't know how to navigate a forum)?

I searched today and couldn't find any ideas to commit credits too.

Thanks,

TX

Go to the Melting Pot:
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=63

So far, five mapstarter projects have been posted. None of them have been approved (the program just began yesterday, so it will take some time.) However, you can start looking at them, and if there's any that you like, once you see that they've gotten preliminary approval, you can post in their threads pledging your credits.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby dakky21 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:52 pm

What I still don't understand here is: are we meant to write textual proposals in there OR make maps to the end? If the proposal is accepted by the Cartography team, who will make a map? Cartographers or the one proposing the idea?
Captain dakky21

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:09 pm

dakky21 wrote:What I still don't understand here is: are we meant to write textual proposals in there OR make maps to the end? If the proposal is accepted by the Cartography team, who will make a map? Cartographers or the one proposing the idea?

The person proposing the idea is in charge of it and has to see it through to the end. It doesn't have to be a solo project. If the proposer doesn't think he can do it by himself, he can recruit a team to help.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:11 pm

dakky21 wrote:What I still don't understand here is: are we meant to write textual proposals in there OR make maps to the end? If the proposal is accepted by the Cartography team, who will make a map? Cartographers or the one proposing the idea?

My understanding is, the one making the map. The MapStarter project is to encourage them by potentially earning many more credits then before. But if someone proposes an idea and it takes off / gets a lot of support, I suppose there is potential to get more on the team to help create it.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby iancanton on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:28 pm

IcePack wrote:Can existing draft maps be changed to MapStarter Projects, that haven't entered Beta yet? :)

the existing mapmaker can feel free to propose it for MapStarter if he wishes.

of the proposals made so far, only one has a mapmaker. i've edited the opening post to make it clear that proposals can be approved only if there is a mapmaker, otherwise there's no-one to draw the map.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dakky21 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:53 pm

iancanton wrote:of the proposals made so far, only one has a mapmaker.

Don't be confused, I'm not a mapmaker ;) Unless I am automatically a mapmaker by drawing a map. You need to state that in first post, that only suggestions with at least a draft image will count. This way you're encouraging people to post their ideas and reducing chances for original ideas.
Captain dakky21

Postby iancanton on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:16 am

dakky21 wrote:I'm not a mapmaker ;) Unless I am automatically a mapmaker by drawing a map.

that's the idea.

dakky21 wrote:You need to state that in first post, that only suggestions with at least a draft image will count.

it's possible for an idea to appear first, then for the approval to happen after the proposer recruits an artist to draw a draft image.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions