Conquer Club

Fantasy Themed Map

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Fantasy Themed Map

Postby IcePack on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:16 am

Any interesting takes / ideas for some kind of fantasy / D&D or GOT inspired type map? How it would function? Bonuses, gameplay etc? We could maybe tie into it clans if we wanna go the “House” route.

Something like clandemonium but with interesting gameplay? Feudal but different? Army types? If KC / KC II, feudal, and clandemonium had a baby how would the gameplay look?

But I’m open to suggestion and fiddling w map software so… if you have something I’d be interested to brain storm

May or may not work itself into a CC map, that’s obviously the intent but I might just suck at it.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: Fantasy Themed Map

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 pm

So you want to make a map, and are looking to brainstorm for ideas?

The process is quite long, so you better be enthousiastic about the concept you'll eventually settle on.
You mention fantasy, D&D and GoT as possible inspirations. What about those inspirations excites you? What is missing in most other maps that your map definitely must have?

There are many different directions you can take from those inspirations. What are you looking for?
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
And a member of the Republic
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby IcePack on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:20 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:So you want to make a map, and are looking to brainstorm for ideas?

The process is quite long, so you better be enthousiastic about the concept you'll eventually settle on.
You mention fantasy, D&D and GoT as possible inspirations. What about those inspirations excites you? What is missing in most other maps that your map definitely must have?

There are many different directions you can take from those inspirations. What are you looking for?

Yes I’m aware of the process and length. I know the look and feel of the map I want, but I’m trying to take inspiration / ideas on gameplay (or thematic ideas that tie into a central gameplay element)

But yeah, brainstorming on ideas hoping something w spark an idea or take something and run with it. I’m sure whatever I land on willl look different by the end but I gotta start with a lump of clay and figuring out whether I have an idea for a pot, a bowl, or a vase so to speak.

Maybe someone’s sitting on an idea that they’ve had but didn’t know how to map it or execute, idk exactly where the process will land me. Just figured I’d throw it out into the world and see what pops up and if it evolves into something

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MichelSableheart on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:54 pm

I don't have specific ideas per se, but am willing to help you brainstorm.

However, the inspiration you list is still rather broad, which makes it difficult to suggest ideas. Which is why I ask what about those sources of inspiration excites you.
As an example, here are some high level feelings/concepts you might take each of the different inspirations:

Fantasy - Magic, Wonder, Adventure, Danger, Dragons, Monsters
D&D - Adventure, Monsters, Races, Classes, Teamwork, Dungeons, Dragons
Game of Thrones - Political Intrigue, Houses, Betrayal, Dragons, Westeros, Winter is Coming

Each of those concepts would result in a completely different map.
MichelSableheart,

Postby IcePack on Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:31 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:I don't have specific ideas per se, but am willing to help you brainstorm.

However, the inspiration you list is still rather broad, which makes it difficult to suggest ideas. Which is why I ask what about those sources of inspiration excites you.
As an example, here are some high level feelings/concepts you might take each of the different inspirations:

Fantasy - Magic, Wonder, Adventure, Danger, Dragons, Monsters
D&D - Adventure, Monsters, Races, Classes, Teamwork, Dungeons, Dragons
Game of Thrones - Political Intrigue, Houses, Betrayal, Dragons, Westeros, Winter is Coming

Each of those concepts would result in a completely different map.

Yeah, that’s sort of what I’m trying to figure out. There’s a lot of concepts / things out there, how could they be tied to interesting gameplay?

Generally, I’m imagining some sort of fantasy stylized map (mostly for show, w the dragons or whatever as mostly pictured interest and unrelated to gameplay) but with either houses or races tied to gameplay mechanics, or perhaps terrain (like dwarves to mountains, elves to Forrest)

Perhaps elves have archers who have more bombard capability, or one house relies on conscripts so they auto deploy, idk.

All a mess of ideas I’m trying to refine into something w interesting gameplay. We don’t need a map for maps sake, so while the theme and specifics can be refined / adjusted to fit, I’m trying to figure out an interesting mechanic or whatever that might be fun to do that ties to the potential themes.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MichelSableheart on Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:13 am

I started my brainstorming with D&D, as that's the source I'm most familiar with.

Race in D&D matters. Every character has 1 race and 1 class, and that unique combination greatly determines how they play.
I think I may have found a mechanic that can replicate that feeling in a CC game.
How about this?

16 starting positions: 8 races, 8 classes.
Each players starts with 1 race, and 1 class (ideally, this is true even for 4 or less players, but I'm not sure if the XML can force that)
Races and Classes can not be conquered(perhaps bombarded in some way). As a result, each player has a unique race/class combination, that changes every game.
Specific bonuses only work in combination with a specific race or class. For example: Dwarven warhammer gives a bonus in combination with the dwarven race, Lockpicks give a bonus in combination with rogue.

The result would be that different locations have different values to different players, resulting in a unique experience.
To really make the connection to D&D, you could have a wincondition holding various treasures.
MichelSableheart,

Postby IcePack on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:31 pm

I dont know how the XML works...

Maybe I'll send in iancanton, my main question is I'm not sure theres 16 different combinations of bonuses or whatever that could be come up with.

But for Ian... within the XML, with one territory (Lets call it Ice Territory)

Is there a way to code >
Start of game, Player A randomly is assigned "Dwarves Territory" and Player B is assigned "Elven Territory" as their starting locations or something.

Turn 1 if "Ice Territory" is owned by Player A, who has Territory "Dwarves" then "Ice Territory" becomes auto deploy +1.
But Turn 2 if "Ice Territory" is killed by Player B and he now owns it, and he doesn't own Territory "Dwarves" he Owns Territory "Elves", can it change to a continent bonus or something?
Turn 3 "Ice Territory" gets retaken by Player A so its auto deploy +1 again.
Turn 4, Player A holds, so earns the +1.

etc.

Essentially, can one territory be changed how the bonuses are calculated based on other territories at the start?

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Donelladan on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:37 pm

Check the Krazy kingdom map :)
it has very similar concept that what you are describing with race and class.
So yes it's possible.

In Krazy kingdom every player start with a kingdom ( = a race ) and has one or two special features ( class).
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby IcePack on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:39 pm

Donelladan wrote:Check the Krazy kingdom map :)
it has very similar concept that what you are describing with race and class.
So yes it's possible.

In Krazy kingdom every player start with a kingdom ( = a race ) and has one or two special features ( class).

I've ignored that map because I haven't really understood it at a glance (never really tried to learn it).

Knowing this however, and what I'm trying to do maybe I should get more familiar I guess.

Thanks for the recommendation. Doesn't answer the Q about changing how each territory works, but does maybe show theres a good number
of mixtures involved to be able to do something with the structure / bonus.

IP

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Donelladan on Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:56 pm

In Krazy kingdom map, bonus also change depending on your feature and kingdom.
For example if you have special feature aquatic, each 2 territory next to a sea give you +1.
If you have the special feature wizard, you get a +2 for 2 blood towers.

So bonus can change depending on condition.
I didn't see a region becoming an auto deploy or getting a decay based on a condition on any map yet. But given the existing possibiltiy with conditions it seems likely that you can.

You can also do conditional border, like you can cross this territory if you have this one. So you could imagine, elves can cross the forest, but dwarves can't. While dwarves can go from mountain to mountain through tunnel, but elves can't. -> there are a lot of such conditional borders in Krazy kindgom
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby IcePack on Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:46 pm

Donelladan wrote:In Krazy kingdom map, bonus also change depending on your feature and kingdom.
For example if you have special feature aquatic, each 2 territory next to a sea give you +1.

I didn't see a region becoming an auto deploy or getting a decay based on a condition on any map yet. But given the existing possibiltiy with conditions it seems likely that you can.

You can also do conditional border, like you can cross this territory if you have this one. So you could imagine, elves can cross the forest, but dwarves can't. While dwarves can go from mountain to mountain through tunnel, but elves can't. -> there are a lot of such conditional borders in Krazy kindgom

Yeah, I'm looking at the map a lot closer now. Seems pretty similar to what we're talking about. IDK if it makes our map worth doing if theres something nearly replica or similar but restylized.
I'll keep looking / trying to understand the full map and see if the thought process / concept would be different enough to warrant, or move onto something else.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:56 pm

Is there a way to issue unique win conditions with XML?

Like within the same game / map:

Player A, Win Condition Hold 123
Player B, Win Condition Hold 456
Player C, Win Condition Hold 789

(Even if it needs to be assigned a territory, and the starting territories randomly dealt to one player)

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MichelSableheart on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:25 am

IcePack wrote:Is there a way to issue unique win conditions with XML?

(Even if it needs to be assigned a territory, and the starting territories randomly dealt to one player)
You could absolutely do that by giving each player a starting territory that can't be attacked, and making that territory part of the win condition.

Thanks for the Krazy Kingdom suggestion, that's a lot like what I had in mind.
MichelSableheart,

Postby IcePack on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:39 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:
IcePack wrote:Is there a way to issue unique win conditions with XML?

You could absolutely do that by giving each player a starting territory that can't be attacked, and making that territory part of the win condition.

Thanks for the Krazy Kingdom suggestion, that's a lot like what I had in mind.

Can you do it where it’s conquerable?

Player A holds Territory A which has Win Condition A

So theoretically if there’s Territory ABCDEFGH and Win Condition ABCDEFGH, a player could conquer and hold multiple potential win conditions? Thus constantly changing win condition availability? Instead of set from random draw that’s static through the game

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MichelSableheart on Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:37 am

As far as I know (but I'm not an expert on the XML, so don't pin me down on this), a wincondition consists of a set of territories and logical operations between them.
You win if you hold territory A AND B AND C is a valid wincondition. You win if you hold territory (A AND B AND C) OR (D AND E AND F) also is a valid wincondition.

This means that you can make a wincondition unique to a specific player by ensuring that a territory that is part of a specific set of wincondition territories can only be held by them.
If it's conquerable, then anyone can get it, and by definition it's no longer unique. Then you're talking about normal winconditions.
MichelSableheart,

Postby IcePack on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 am

MichelSableheart wrote:As far as I know (but I'm not an expert on the XML, so don't pin me down on this), a wincondition consists of a set of territories and logical operations between them.
You win if you hold territory A AND B AND C is a valid wincondition. You win if you hold territory (A AND B AND C) OR (D AND E AND F) also is a valid wincondition.

This means that you can make a wincondition unique to a specific player by ensuring that a territory that is part of a specific set of wincondition territories can only be held by them.
If it's conquerable, then anyone can get it, and by definition it's no longer unique. Then you're talking about normal winconditions.

That’s fair and ty, not used to thinking thru this process while trying to learn the limits / abilities of what can be done / not done.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby iancanton on Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Donelladan wrote:
IcePack wrote:But for Ian... within the XML, with one territory (Lets call it Ice Territory)

Is there a way to code >
Start of game, Player A randomly is assigned "Dwarves Territory" and Player B is assigned "Elven Territory" as their starting locations or something.

Turn 1 if "Ice Territory" is owned by Player A, who has Territory "Dwarves" then "Ice Territory" becomes auto deploy +1.
But Turn 2 if "Ice Territory" is killed by Player B and he now owns it, and he doesn't own Territory "Dwarves" he Owns Territory "Elves", can it change to a continent bonus or something?
Turn 3 "Ice Territory" gets retaken by Player A so its auto deploy +1 again.
Turn 4, Player A holds, so earns the +1.

etc.

Essentially, can one territory be changed how the bonuses are calculated based on other territories at the start?

In Krazy kingdom map, bonus also change depending on your feature and kingdom.

donelladan is correct, bonus can change depending on conditions.

however, i believe that the current xml does not support conditional auto-deploy or conditional decay.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby IcePack on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:55 am

Thanks Ian :) sent BW a message but doesn’t sound promising so, for now maybe I’ll do a simple geographic map and see if it’s even acceptable quality and then I can try and get a little fancy from there

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 am

Is it possible to have victory conditions based on # of troops on a territory?

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby HitRed on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:23 pm

It is not mentioned in the Tools and Guides.
Captain HitRed

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm

HitRed wrote:It is not mentioned in the Tools and Guides.

10-4, thanks!

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Return to Foundry Discussions