Conquer Club

Can/Should Trafalaxy Be Fixed

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Can/Should Trafalaxy Be Fixed

Postby bamage on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:29 am

A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests to me that there have been fewer than 500 of the mere 2,000 games ever played on this map that were intentionally set up. So, excluding randoms and tournaments. That suggests to me that the foundry process never asked the question: "Is this map any fun?"

That said, it's a good-looking map with a nifty backstory. What went wrong? I know that when I play it I can barely bring myself to click 'Begin.'
Colonel bamage

Re: Can/Should Trafalaxy Be Fixed

Postby plurple on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:41 am

bamage wrote:A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests to me that there have been fewer than 500 of the mere 2,000 games ever played on this map that were intentionally set up. So, excluding randoms and tournaments. That suggests to me that the foundry process never asked the question: "Is this map any fun?"

That said, it's a good-looking map with a nifty backstory. What went wrong? I know that when I play it I can barely bring myself to click 'Begin.'

I have never been a fan of Trafalgar which the map is based on. Though I think I have done better on trafalaxy than I ever did on Trafalgar. I have always found both maps hard to parse on what the bonuses are and so what strategy to use :D
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Colonel plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Donelladan on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 am

It's one of the latest released

https://www.conquerclub.com/public.php? ... order=desc

That's the latest live map.

Compare it to Rail South America, released in 2014, with 4811 games played.
Trafalaxy released in 2018 has 2021 games played.

Nothing is wrong with either of those maps, we've got less players and more map, that's it.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby IcePack on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:58 pm

bamage wrote:A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests to me that there have been fewer than 500 of the mere 2,000 games ever played on this map that were intentionally set up. So, excluding randoms and tournaments. That suggests to me that the foundry process never asked the question: "Is this map any fun?"

What needs to be fixed? Something broken or you don’t like it?
For me compared to trafalgar which has always been confusing, Trafalaxy really helped me understand the map and movements

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby soundcloudmp3 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:48 am

Whether Trafalaxy can be fixed depends on the dedication of its developers to address issues and enhance user experience through feedback-driven improvements.

Mod Edit: Removing suspicious link.
New Recruit soundcloudmp3

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:29 am

IcePack wrote:

What needs to be fixed? Something broken or you don’t like it?
For me compared to trafalgar which has always been confusing, Trafalaxy really helped me understand the map and movements

You're prejudiced since it's your map, lol.

Trafalgar is quite a difficult map, but Trafalaxy is 10 times harder.

In Trafalgar at least the different squadrons are mostly separated in their various areas. You can look at a squadron and it's basically all in an area that your mind can define.

In Trafalaxy with the different squadrons mixed in amongst each other, it's virtually impossible to follow without painstakingly tracing each line to its source.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Keefie on Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:34 am

Both maps cause fits and convulsions.
Colonel Keefie

Postby plurple on Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:13 am

Dukasaur wrote:Trafalgar is quite a difficult map, but Trafalaxy is 10 times harder.

In Trafalgar at least the different squadrons are mostly separated in their various areas. You can look at a squadron and it's basically all in an area that your mind can define.

In Trafalaxy with the different squadrons mixed in amongst each other, it's virtually impossible to follow without painstakingly tracing each line to its source.

It is interesting you say that Duk I have found reading Trafalaxy easier and so have had some success on it compared to trafalgar where I am always a little lost. Thought I only had the 1 win on trafalgar but turns out I won my first 3 :o so am 4/12 but am 3/5 on Trafalxy.

Not that I look to play the maps much :D
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Colonel plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Return to Foundry Discussions