Conquer Club

Proposal: Create Uniform Guidelines for Map Creation Posts

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Proposal: Create Uniform Guidelines for Map Creation Posts

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:48 pm

There are few things that I've noticed throughout the Map Foundry that would make map creation simpler, as far as the review process goes.

I can only think of a few things right now, but I'm sure all of you have ideas also.

Items I think would help:

1. Not allowing maps to be developed in paint, the first draft or two is fine, but unless the user is truly skilled in paint, other programs should (and can) be used.

2. Posting new versions of the map as new posts, instead of editing the first post throughout development. Obviously this would allow for easier development and discussion of the map.

3. Some sort of ban (even though thats totally the wrong word) of people spam begging for a map to be final forged, then quenched. It takes time for a map to develop and spamming the map won't help anybody.

I guess I just wanted to throw these out there as suggestions for the Foundry, like I said earlier, some simple guidelines would, imo, help both the map-makers and those trying to aid the map-makers.
Private DublinDoogey

Re: Proposal: Create Uniform Guidelines for Map Creation Pos

Postby zim on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:24 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:There are few things that I've noticed throughout the Map Foundry that would make map creation simpler, as far as the review process goes.

I can only think of a few things right now, but I'm sure all of you have ideas also.

Items I think would help:

1. Not allowing maps to be developed in paint, the first draft or two is fine, but unless the user is truly skilled in paint, other programs should (and can) be used.

2. Posting new versions of the map as new posts, instead of editing the first post throughout development. Obviously this would allow for easier development and discussion of the map.

3. Some sort of ban (even though thats totally the wrong word) of people spam begging for a map to be final forged, then quenched. It takes time for a map to develop and spamming the map won't help anybody.

I guess I just wanted to throw these out there as suggestions for the Foundry, like I said earlier, some simple guidelines would, imo, help both the map-makers and those trying to aid the map-makers.

Doogey,

I'm 100% in agreement with point 1. {As an aside I think we should update the list of "recommended apps" as they are mostly bit map based and it's a lot easier to do this kind of work in a vector based program like illustrator.}

On point 2. I think it's worth having the old versions so that people can catch up with the history of a map. Perhaps having the first message contain a link to the current version in the thread? I also think a version numbering convention would be helpful, doesn't need to be elaborate just have people number the files sequentially and keep the same base file name throughout development.

I understand what you're aiming for in point 3 but don't know what the right way to enforce it is a ban seems worse than the problem.

Other things I think would be worthwhile:

1. A standard spreadsheet for calculating "power ratings" of continents, etc. Not for this to be the final word on what the bonuses are but to give us a common starting point.

2. An update to Jota's army placement tool that shows where you have clicked when you place the armies.

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Your points are great zim

As for what I meant about pics... the way you did was good, the way other's have done, where they repeatidly replace the picture in the original post is bad, in my opinion.

I also think we should add something about images must be images, not just links to a freewebs or imageshack page.
Private DublinDoogey

Return to Foundry Discussions