Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Danelaw

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Danelaw(Ver 5)(6/24/09)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm really liking the direction the map is going. :)

A few text based things:
  • At the top you've mispelled corresponding.
  • You use "Attack" both in the same area and at the bottom of the map, though CC's term is "Assault." Just so you know.
  • Same goes for "Territory" -- CC's term is "Region"

Regarding some graphic based observations:
  • I'd rather see your title enlarged slightly, and expanded into some of that empty space in the top left corner. I'd also like to see your signatures perhaps located somewhere else.
  • Northumbria's internal borders are different than the internal borders of other bonus zones, though I'm sure you are aware of that.
  • For the most part, I like what you've done with the ships so far. Definitely look into cleaning and polishing them up a little when time is appropriate.
  • Your insets and legends similarly could use some polishing when time is appropriate---perhaps you could look into using some decoration to go with the theme? I think this map could perhaps benefit from some Anglo-saxon art/cultural additions.
  • And I have a feeling the text will have to be boosted up in size when it comes to the Small Map.
Good work so far!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby el-presidente on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:41 pm

I love summer, I have so much time to work on this.

New version, changes are pretty noticable, font colors and boarders. Sorry I forgot to change attack and territories, Will do that next time, but that can wait.
Private el-presidente

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:39 pm

You should update the first post with the new version. I like the new boarders and text. some of the ships need to be improved a bit.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: Danelaw(Ver 5.1)(6/26/09)

Postby sailorc on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:58 pm

looks like a very interesting map. the more I look at it the more I want to try it out.
Lieutenant sailorc

Postby peanutman on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Have been browsing the foundry for a while and am finally taking the plunge to actually be active. So, hello to all! Starting off with a minor suggestion/correction.

In the text at the bottom left, should read : "You start off ..."
Sergeant 1st Class peanutman

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm

I much prefer the graphics now that the lines of long/lat have gone - looking well good :D

I'm sure there are many things you are working one so I'll just give you a couple of quick easy ones:

(1) In the bonus box it is worth stating that the bonus is for 'All Settlements' and 'All Cities' (assuming I have this right).

(2) Can the Danish Kingdoms attack each other? I'm guessing you're idea is that they cant, as in New World? Its worth indicating this somehow on the map - perhaps in the top box which explains that the kingdoms can attack corresponding ships, it could say they can ONLY attack corresponding ships?

Keep up the progress :D
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby el-presidente on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:07 am

DJ Teflon wrote:I much prefer the graphics now that the lines of long/lat have gone - looking well good :D

I'm sure there are many things you are working one so I'll just give you a couple of quick easy ones:

(1) In the bonus box it is worth stating that the bonus is for 'All Settlements' and 'All Cities' (assuming I have this right). No, it is for one city or one settlement.

(2) Can the Danish Kingdoms attack each other? I'm guessing you're idea is that they cant, as in New World? Its worth indicating this somehow on the map - perhaps in the top box which explains that the kingdoms can attack corresponding ships, it could say they can ONLY attack corresponding ships? Ya, I meant to change that working around more, I will.

Keep up the progress :D
Private el-presidente

Postby el-presidente on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Minor update, the last one was really version 6 so this is 6.1.
Private el-presidente

Re: Danelaw(Ver 6.1)(7/1/09)

Postby sailorc on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 am

Assault is misspelled as assult twice, once in top, once in bottom. otherwise, I really like how the map is coming along
Lieutenant sailorc

Postby mibi on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 pm

I can barely read those territory names as is. Your small map will be illegible. Darkening them up would help.
Captain mibi

Postby el-presidente on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 am

mibi wrote:I can barely read those territory names as is. Your small map will be illegible. Darkening them up would help.

I'll work on that. Do you know if the small map has to be identical, or can the font be darker on the small map?
Private el-presidente

Postby mibi on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:32 pm

el-presidente wrote:
mibi wrote:I can barely read those territory names as is. Your small map will be illegible. Darkening them up would help.

I'll work on that. Do you know if the small map has to be identical, or can the font be darker on the small map?

You can and should adjust the small map to suit. I changed the font entirely for the supermax small map.
Captain mibi

Postby el-presidente on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:00 pm

IN that case, I think I will make it a little darker for the small version, but to me it is fine, If other people have the same problem I will change it.
Private el-presidente

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:36 am

Minor thing: you've spelled Lincoln as Lincon.

More importantly though, I feel there is an issue of historical accuracy- you are using modern counties set out in the 19th century for a 9th century map. I also believe that Northumbria extended up to Lothian at that time (also your map cuts off at the modern English-Scots boarder which looks wrong. I suggest you research either the native anglo-saxon and welsh territory names (such as Dorn Saete instead of Dorset) or use Danish names. I would also think that it would be possible to move your territory boarders to anglo-saxon lines without disrupting the gameplay too much but all I see at the moment is a modern england map with a few ships stuck round the edge.

Edit: some of these may help,
http://www.heversham.org/graphics/rb19_big.gif
http://www.heorot.dk/anglosaxon-map.jpg
http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/englis ... /axenl.jpg
http://history.wisc.edu/sommerville/123 ... ngland.GIF
http://www.heritage-history.com/maps/ph ... il032b.jpg
http://vikingrune.com/wp-content/upload ... gland1.jpg
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby Beko the Great on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 am

First of all congratulations on this map and the way it has evolved ;)

Second, their's a territory unnamed between Cumberland and Westmorland

Third, is their any historic reason for some regions of denmark attack specific regions of England? Why Glorg attacks Whales for example?

Why two boats for each region if they attack closer positions in England?

Cheers ;)
Major Beko the Great

Postby el-presidente on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Beko the Great wrote:First of all congratulations on this map and the way it has evolved ;)
Thanks
Second, their's a territory unnamed between Cumberland and Westmorland
It is part of lancashire but I have to figure out what to do about it.
Third, is their any historic reason for some regions of denmark attack specific regions of England? Why Glorg attacks Whales for example?
No reason
Why two boats for each region if they attack closer positions in England?
For gameplay reasons.It is easier to balance the starting positions if there are two ships rather than one.

Cheers ;)

@Balsiefen- I thought it was accurate, but i will look into it more.
Private el-presidente

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:01 am

Cities /Settlements- Location & Bonus Values

I can this this being a major discussion. Do the settlements also auto-deploy?

Starting positions with quicker access to the cities are going to be an advantage with the current set-up - the solution could be to have more cities or to tinker with the boats / landing positions. Maybe also, setting different sizes of neutrals on different rutes to the cities may help (i.e. smaller neutrals where access is less direct).

Even with some tinkering, I imagine that it would be difficult to establish equality between the starting positions, in which case, the +4 bonus for a city may be a little high? Players would race for the cities and the first to hold would have a major advantage. Perhaps amending this value may be worth considering - to make sure that the cities don't pretty much become a game-winning certainty?

Having said all that, at this current stage of development, you have interesting 'invading' gameplay which can be nade to workwithout major overhaul. I like it. =D>

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi guys! :)

I'm agree with some concerns i found in the last 5 pages...
The small version could have some problem with text (specially on the yellow zone).
Zone names are also more visible than territory names in the small version.
Text in the legends are difficult to read in a small version of this map.
Try to work on names for historical accuracy

About gameplay i suggest a mix of everything people suggested you.
Only 8 ships, all danemark lands can attack all ships (agree with lt_oddball, it helps not to have a default game to play) , ships return neutral each turn. Danemark --> ships -->land one way attack.
Maybe add an objective should help. All cities is good. A player can have a different plan for each game, use his troops to reach england in different points and try a conquest holding all the cities.Obviously you have to cut the ships that land exactly in the city territories, like E2 in Morgannwg and cut the autodeploy bonus for cities (not for settlements, if you like)

Bonuses :? Have you did a small test with a bonus spread sheet? i'm not sure that some values are good. But i see DJ Teflon is here around and he can help you more than me about this ;)

Finally there are some small things:
Northumbria, that small part of land on the left side of westmoreland is a part of Lancanshire? Or is an old border?
Legend text is not well paginated in the upper small box.
The main title, you should work on this...now it is too small, you have space in that corner, use it! :)

Looking forward you're next update.
Have a nice day
thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby el-presidente on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:25 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Hi guys! :)

I'm agree with some concerns i found in the last 5 pages... I will make it a little darker
The small version could have some problem with text (specially on the yellow zone).
Zone names are also more visible than territory names in the small version. I will work that too.
Text in the legends are difficult to read in a small version of this map. I might just start working on the small version but that will be annoying.
Try to work on names for historical accuracy I'm trying.

About gameplay i suggest a mix of everything people suggested you.
Only 8 ships, all danemark lands can attack all ships (agree with lt_oddball, it helps not to have a default game to play) , ships return neutral each turn. Danemark --> ships -->land one way attack.
Maybe add an objective should help. All cities is good. A player can have a different plan for each game, use his troops to reach england in different points and try a conquest holding all the cities.Obviously you have to cut the ships that land exactly in the city territories, like E2 in Morgannwg and cut the autodeploy bonus for cities (not for settlements, if you like)

I think that would end poorly, since the people who go first will just break through any nuturals and then the people who go last can land on the same places and just get rid of the weekended other players who had to attack nuturals to get there.

Bonuses :? Have you did a small test with a bonus spread sheet? i'm not sure that some values are good. But i see DJ Teflon is here around and he can help you more than me about this ;)

Finally there are some small things:
Northumbria, that small part of land on the left side of westmoreland is a part of Lancanshire? Or is an old border?
Legend text is not well paginated in the upper small box.
The main title, you should work on this...now it is too small, you have space in that corner, use it! :)

Looking forward you're next update.
Have a nice day
thenobodies80
Private el-presidente

Version 7 new gameplay

Postby el-presidente on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Nuturals each route is 17 nuturals to a city, exept the one, but it gets a 2 settlements close and the east anglica bonus.

THE NEW GAMEPLAY
Lets you decise where you want to land. this could give an advantage to the last player to go, but the first player can just wait them out
Private el-presidente

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:03 am

I like the new gameplay idea - will give it some more thought over next couple of days - it would be really interesting with FOW. Not sure the bonus calculator is relevant to this kind of 'base' gamplay.

MrBenn's map may give you a solution for the Wetmorland / Lancs border (although it may be better closer to the coast):

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68337

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:45 pm

what is stopping someone from taking a boat, then going and attacking some other statring point? The attacks should be one way, now that it is objective, it is ok if thre is no way to eliminate oppoenents, unless it is assasin.
hmmm......
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby el-presidente on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:40 pm

captainwalrus wrote:what is stopping someone from taking a boat, then going and attacking some other statring point? The attacks should be one way, now that it is objective, it is ok if thre is no way to eliminate oppoenents, unless it is assasin.
hmmm......

hmm indeed. Is there a way to make it only objective? das scollaB was like that but it was taken down, was that why?

What do people think of the nuturals? Should they in general be increased or decreased?
Private el-presidente

Postby naxus on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:10 pm

el-presidente wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:what is stopping someone from taking a boat, then going and attacking some other statring point? The attacks should be one way, now that it is objective, it is ok if thre is no way to eliminate oppoenents, unless it is assasin.
hmmm......

hmm indeed. Is there a way to make it only objective? das scollaB was like that but it was taken down, was that why?

What do people think of the nuturals? Should they in general be increased or decreased?

Since thier was no way to kill your opponents in Das Scholls the games ended up going on forever.
Haggis_McMutton wrote:2. Anyone else find it kind of funny that naxus is NK'd right after insisting that we're all paranoid?
Corporal 1st Class naxus

Re: Danelaw(Ver. 7)(7/28/09)New Gameplay

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:13 am

if the boats are killer neutrals, everyone is just gonna get screwed over and over. there isn't even an auto deploy on denmark...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box