Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Guatemala

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What do you think? (Plz be honest)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:46 am

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] Guatemala

Postby jleonnn on Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 am

Mod Note:Abandoned - If resurrected, this one must be checked again.

Map of the 22 provinces of Guatemala

Click image to enlarge.

show: previous versions

What you need to know:
Six regions:

Norte(+5 bonus)
Este(+7 bonus)
Al Sur-Este(+5 bonus)
Al Sur-Oeste(+10 bonus)
ciudad capital(+3 bonus)
Centro(+4 bonus)

*I would have loved to used the spreadsheet of bonuses but I got a bit confused.

*Centro will be coded so that a player will not get it in the start as a luck drop

I'm sorry that I abandoned my last two maps but my com crashed and took all the files with it... This is my 2nd attempt, I will try to recreate the maps tho...

-jleonnn
Last edited by jleonnn on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 am, edited 18 times in total.
Major jleonnn

Re: guatemala

Postby natty dread on Thu May 13, 2010 3:58 am

Well, here's a map of guatemala. What can I say... I know it's an early draft, but the map doesn't really tell me anything about guatemala. Sticking in 2 random photographs doesn't count as a theme...

Btw, ditch the photos. They're making your map look like some kind of tourist advertisement ;)

Also forgive me for saying but the colours of the playable area are horrible. They're all way too bright and saturated, you need to tone them down quite a bit...

As for the gameplay, your bonuses are all over the place. They make no sense whatsoever, but don't worry, that can be corrected in gp shop.

However I'd like you to really focus on the thematic consistency of the map. What is happening in guatemala? What are the major issues of the country? Would any of those things be material for the theme & gameplay of the map? Try to find something you can use.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 13, 2010 4:18 am

jleonnn wrote:*I would have loved to used the spreadsheet of bonuses but I got a bit confused.

Each continent takes up one row in the table. Go along the row and just plug the numbers for that continent into the correct columns.

I ran this map through a spreadsheet and got these approximate bonuses:

Norte: 4-5
Este (should this be 'Oeste'?): 4
Al Sur-Este: 4
Al Sur-Oeste: 6
Ciudad capital: 2-3
Centro: 4

Of course, the capital city would have to start neutral -- though I fear that might make this map too similar to Luxembourg.
At any rate, I think 22 territories is a bit too small. Is there a way you can add more?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 13, 2010 11:28 am

natty_dread wrote:Well, here's a map of guatemala. What can I say... I know it's an early draft, but the map doesn't really tell me anything about guatemala. Sticking in 2 random photographs doesn't count as a theme...

Btw, ditch the photos. They're making your map look like some kind of tourist advertisement ;)

Also forgive me for saying but the colours of the playable area are horrible. They're all way too bright and saturated, you need to tone them down quite a bit...

As for the gameplay, your bonuses are all over the place. They make no sense whatsoever, but don't worry, that can be corrected in gp shop.

However I'd like you to really focus on the thematic consistency of the map. What is happening in guatemala? What are the major issues of the country? Would any of those things be material for the theme & gameplay of the map? Try to find something you can use.

natty, i have to say that this is coming over alsmost dictatorial. Shame on you.
Just cause you've got a map done, doesn't give you the right to tell someone else what to do, and in this you are telling them what to do. If you want to place a suggestion, then i suggest you use the word suggestion, and language that is suggestive.
Dont be so harsh, afterall it's his 1st attempt.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 pm

To be honest, i kind of dig the postcard-esque style of the map. Obviously it needs some graphical work but I think it meets draft requirements for the melting pot.

Gameplay: 22 regions is small, especially considering the capital is going to be a starting neutral. Centro also, being a three territory bonus would typically need a starting neutral.

But there's a special place for small maps on CC and people certainly do love them. The only high recommendations I'd make would be to bump it up to 24 starting territories that way in 8 player games each player gets three territories. You could a) add two territories and group the capital with Centro or b) add two territories or c) come up with something I haven't thought of yet.

Best of luck seeing this through!

The bonuses are very high... I'd say reduce all by 2 or 3 for a start.

Graphics: The colors don't bother me too much, very bright and rainforesty is what comes to mind. They need tinkering but that is better suited for the graphics workshop.

The flag over El Salvador and Honduras is kind of confusing (as in seems to allude that the flag belongs to the nation next door). Personally, I love flags and like seeing them worked into maps (obviously by my history with CC maps). I think it could be tinkered with to work out really nice.

I get kind of a postcard feel from it, but that might be me. If that's what your going for then I'd say take it further, perhaps with a stamp utilizing the flag?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Harsh, cairns? Can you please point out where I'm dictating anyone what to do? I'm giving my opinion and trying to offer something constructive. That's all.

Postby isaiah40 on Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:To be honest, i kind of dig the postcard-esque style of the map. Obviously it needs some graphical work but I think it meets draft requirements for the melting pot.

Gameplay: 22 regions is small, especially considering the capital is going to be a starting neutral. Centro also, being a three territory bonus would typically need a starting neutral.

But there's a special place for small maps on CC and people certainly do love them. The only high recommendations I'd make would be to bump it up to 24 starting territories that way in 8 player games each player gets three territories. You could a) add two territories and group the capital with Centro or b) add two territories or c) come up with something I haven't thought of yet.

Best of luck seeing this through!

The bonuses are very high... I'd say reduce all by 2 or 3 for a start.

Graphics: The colors don't bother me too much, very bright and rainforesty is what comes to mind. They need tinkering but that is better suited for the graphics workshop.

The flag over El Salvador and Honduras is kind of confusing (as in seems to allude that the flag belongs to the nation next door). Personally, I love flags and like seeing them worked into maps (obviously by my history with CC maps). I think it could be tinkered with to work out really nice.

I get kind of a postcard feel from it, but that might be me. If that's what your going for then I'd say take it further, perhaps with a stamp utilizing the flag?

What he said! Although I was thinking more of a tourist brochure on Guatemala myself. It's a good start. One thing I would suggest, is to maybe add in the surrounding countries as territories (that would increase the territory count), but they don't have any bonuses associated with them (see the Peru map).

I like the idea of putting the flag in the countries name, on the other hand it is hard to see, so I say scrap that idea. Maybe you can put the legend on top of the flag? Just an idea, as I also like the idea of incorporating countries flags in the maps when possible, and as long as it fits the theme you are going with.

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to your next update.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Thu May 13, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm by no means saying the map shouldn't be made. In fact I voted for option #2 in the poll. It is a good draft for a first-timer. It's just my personal opinion, that we are starting to have lots of these standard gameplay small-to-medium size geographical maps. I'd like to see something in the gameplay that helps the map stand out from all the other small geographical maps.

I don't know squat about guatemala, so I have no idea what that would be, and since I have a very full schedule in doing research for my own projects, I'll leave that to the mapmaker. But ideally, I'd like to see a theme that relates to guatemala in terms of either history or current political events. The congo draft that was recently seen in melting pot was a good example... that map had a solid theme for a small geographical map. And what's more it had a gameplay that complemented the theme. Shame that it's development was stalled...

So there, that's my advice and you can take it or leave it, up to you.

Postby ghirrindin on Thu May 13, 2010 5:33 pm

natty_dread wrote: I don't know squat about guatemala, so I have no idea what that would be, and since I have a very full schedule in doing research for my own projects, I'll leave that to the mapmaker. But ideally, I'd like to see a theme that relates to guatemala in terms of either history or current political events. The congo draft that was recently seen in melting pot was a good example... that map had a solid theme for a small geographical map. And what's more it had a gameplay that complemented the theme. Shame that it's development was stalled...

So there, that's my advice and you can take it or leave it, up to you.

What the eff is all this talk all of a sudden about "themes" and stories for simple gameplay maps? Isn't it quite clear? It's a touristy map of a nation-state, Guatemala. I think standard maps of underrepresented parts of the world are enough of a "theme" for me as long as they're attractively executed. No offense intended, but I don't really learn all that much about Scandinavia when I look at Nordic Countries, nor are the reasons for an international conflict over a desolate rock made clear when I look at Lunar Wars.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 pm

If tourism is indeed your theme (which it doesn't have to be), maybe you should add an aspect of national parks, monuments, etc:

(source: ParksWatch)
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby jleonnn on Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll get working on it! I think maybe I'll try to make one with photos and one without, I'll see which once you guys like better. But guys, this is not my first time, my other 2 were: viewtopic.php?t=98659 and viewtopic.php?f=242&t=97837&p=2258137&hilit=jleonnn#p2258137 I abandoned them when my computer crashed and wiped out all the files :(
Major jleonnn

Postby natty dread on Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 am

Yes, I remember your singapore draft... That one had some potential IMO.

Well, I took some peek at guatemala wiki page, and it appears this was a country where maya indians used to live. Perhaps you could use that as a theme for your map?

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 14, 2010 7:26 pm

cairnswk wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Well, here's a map of guatemala. What can I say... I know it's an early draft, but the map doesn't really tell me anything about guatemala. Sticking in 2 random photographs doesn't count as a theme...

natty, i have to say that this is coming over alsmost dictatorial. Shame on you.
Just cause you've got a map done, doesn't give you the right to tell someone else what to do, and in this you are telling them what to do. If you want to place a suggestion, then i suggest you use the word suggestion, and language that is suggestive.
Dont be so harsh, afterall it's his 1st attempt.

natty is one of the best guides in this melting pot. He and industrial helix spend countless hours in "melting pot" a week trying to help people and give them Ideas. The guy means little harm and I find one of the few truly good natured good spirited people in this whole damn cc forum.

I dont think he meant to come accross as you think he did.

You are the map making legend cairns.. maybe if you spent more time in melting pot, natty and industrial helix could be a little less critical and maybe not feel like its all up to them to give new map makers the fortitude,stamina, and ideas to succeed.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm

back on topic.. I love the map idea and you have a good start... a better start than most. lot of different ways you can go with this. In Guat. there are impassible jungles and ridges and cool temples and old tribes and para military and millitary, as well as drug farms and drug lords... this is a fun idea you can do a lot of cool stuff with.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby jleonnn on Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 pm

oh ok I see, so maybe like if you conquer a territory with a tribe, or something, you get extra bonuses? And maybe I could replace some of the pics with some of the ancient Mayans?
Major jleonnn

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Im not sure the pics are too bad so far man. You maybe need a theeme though and that could be it.

But since this is the only guat. I guess you really dont even need a theme... sort of like the map brazil.

You definitely will have to add some barriers though...

the temples and tribes would just be kinda cool. I dunno.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby jleonnn on Fri May 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Yeah... well gimme a while. After this is done, I'm gonna remake the Singapore map. Any tips on why my picture gets so blur? Look at the Singapore map, it's not that blur...
Major jleonnn

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 14, 2010 8:31 pm

i dunno man... likely not enough bytes... when you expand it you lose resolution.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby jleonnn on Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 pm

tips on how to solve it?
Major jleonnn

Postby natty dread on Sat May 15, 2010 5:24 am

save in PNG format.

JPEG loses detail because it is based on an algorithm. PNG however is a lossless format so your image will look exactly like it looks in your graphics editor.

Postby jleonnn on Sun May 16, 2010 2:11 am

Yes! Thank you... I remember that I saved my Singapore map in something... but not jpeg, or jpg, or bmp, but forgot what it was hehheh :oops:
Major jleonnn

Re: guatemala(v2)

Postby jleonnn on Mon May 17, 2010 9:01 am

Well I gave it a Mayan theme, put a flag of Guatemala over Guatemala. Just asking you guys what do you think... Also toned down the colours. The grey part with "jleonnn" is where I'm gonna insert new territories
Major jleonnn

Postby fumandomuerte on Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm

The map has this big Peten region as an empty space while it's one of the most important mayan zones. You should add some pyramids or some natural reserves/national parks, otherwise it looks like a very simple Guatemala map imho.
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby jleonnn on Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 am

k
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Sun May 23, 2010 7:16 am

well, I've been thinkin about it for a few days and decided I should have both national monuments, attractions etc. mixed with the tribes and wotnot. What do you think?
Major jleonnn

Next

Return to Recycling Box