Conquer Club

How escalating is escalating?

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How escalating is escalating?

Postby CultureClash on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:36 am

We are taught not to attack on our first turn in part as you don't want to be first to 5 and have to cash in a rubbish set of cards.
So my question is and I think this ought to be in the society FAQ'a section or get sticked or something....

How much does the troop number for cashing in go up for each set of cards deployed?

Is there an ideal number to get on the spoils bandwagon?
(ie. where the troop number becomes worthwhile but not too far into the game that you've allready lost too much ground to those who have allready cashed in.)

Side question, are there maps you teach/play on where going for some region bonuses does pay off in escalateing games? (ie on huge maps like 2.1)

Any answers/thoughts on these welcome.

CC
Corporal 1st Class CultureClash

Re: How escalating is escalating?

Postby lt.Futt on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:42 pm

CultureClash wrote:We are taught not to attack on our first turn in part as you don't want to be first to 5 and have to cash in a rubbish set of cards.

The real reason is that power is important. When SoC staff only goes in a clinch in classic escalating set up, some of us need to cash first. Cash first might not be the biggest challenge. Every player has a individual style and individual point of view even the basics is the same. What`s important is power, timing and to read the board + experience, practice, learning by lots of failing and some luck.

We prefer not to attack in first round for two combined reasons. #1 No rush, really. #2 We want at least 5 troops on our attacking spot. 5 troops minus 2 (loss) = 3.

CultureClash wrote:How much does the troop number for cashing in go up for each set of cards deployed?

After the value of 15 troops it`s + 5 for each set. When skilled players meet, one set often reach the value of (much) more than 50 troops.

CultureClash wrote:Is there an ideal number to get on the spoils bandwagon?
(ie. where the troop number becomes worthwhile but not too far into the game that you've allready lost too much ground to those who have allready cashed in.)

I guess no. It all rely on the circumstances.

CultureClash wrote:Side question, are there maps you teach/play on where going for some region bonuses does pay off in escalateing games? (ie on huge maps like 2.1)

It depends on the circumstances. Once I ran the whole World 2.1 where I was the only player without bonus areas. I did cash a set of 50 and received 3 troops for 4-5 terits.
Major lt.Futt

Postby benga on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:12 pm

You just have to find strat that suits you best.

I guess by now you got the basics
other stuff will come with time
and experience.
Sergeant benga

Postby dhallmeyer on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 am

On the big maps with easy bonuses, you want to keep pace with the ones who are drawing 6-7 per turn. but you don't need to expend your whole army to do it. the cards will even things out soon enough, you just don't want to be a target when they do.
Captain dhallmeyer
Senior SoC Training Instructor
Senior SoC Training Instructor

Return to SoC Training Grounds