Conquer Club

Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:37 am

here's the version yeti_c sent me and lack.

i've removed the double countries:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k9veth

direct link:

http://fs09n4.sendspace.com/dl/b9ae3d87bb6f25100500dbca02673777/467bb47a23bc1fe8/k9veth/AoM_003.xml

sent to lack.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:18 am

in 2 hours i'm leaving town and i won't be able to login. the links above are the latest xml version with yeti_c's modifications according to forza az's post and with the doubled countries removed by me.

hopefully there aren't any more mistakes. and hopefully lack comes online and updates the xml [-o<
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby lackattack on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 am

Hey guys, thanks for all your hard work. I installed the latest XML fix and we should be up to date.

I want to apologize for the delay on my side. It's my brother's wedding this weekend and I've been tied up helping with preparations and stuff!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:33 am

thanks a lot lack.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:42 am

Just to reconfirm - If anyone finds any new issues here - please please let me know and I can organise fixes.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Forza AZ on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:49 am

lackattack wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all your hard work. I installed the latest XML fix and we should be up to date.

I want to apologize for the delay on my side. It's my brother's wedding this weekend and I've been tied up helping with preparations and stuff!

I was just checking the new XML, and I don't think it's the last update, as still the -2 is in there for all 4 ports, while this has to be +2. Didn't check all, but I have the latest update on my computer now, and that one I really checked completely and is correct. I have uploaded it to my own webspace and it's here.

Edit: Never mind, I didn't refresh, so I got the old one apparently. The one online now is the correct one.
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07 am

PANIC...

No - wait... DON'T PANIC!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07 am

lackattack wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all your hard work. I installed the latest XML fix and we should be up to date.

BTW - Cheers - and congrats to your bro...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 am

what a bother lol
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Age of Merchants - question

Postby zarvinny on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:16 pm

ok, i searched map foundry for age of merchants and couldn't find the map's topic. My question is that on the map it states "ports connect to other ports and docks", but while all the ports are indeed connected, I cannot attack docks from ports. I think I am missing something. the Puertos can attack each other, where do the docks come in?

thank you
Lieutenant zarvinny

Postby The1exile on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm

AoM main thread is here where you may get a better response - the reason you probably couldn't find it is that you weren't searching final forge
Lieutenant The1exile

I like it so far

Postby abel on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I understand the need for taking things seriously. Thanks to everyone that makes these games work. I don't like it when Microsoft releases buggy software that they charge money for. I don't mind having a day of mayhem because the bugs weren't all worked out on a new map for a site that has a strong community element. 8)

If you need any beta testers in advance, I'm in. If you need somebody to double-check code, probably not.

I think this is probably the most ambitious map yet. I can't really complain, but I feel a bit guilty in round two already having 14armies/turn because of the Pirate's Cove. But only a little guilty :twisted:

I won't call it a bug, but I've decided it's a little like if you occupy WashDC, you get a bonus army for every US airbase in the world. It seems like a bit too much power for one player. Not that I'm complaining of course. :)
Major abel

Postby benjikat on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 pm

Fantastic that this is fixed now - is definitely my favorite map - congrats to DiM on getting it through the foundry.

I have noticed another small typo (although it doesn't affect gameplay:

There is both "Coffee and Tobacco to Manchia Market" and "Coffee and Tobacco Manchia Market", so they show up seperately in the scripts.
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:19 am

benjikat wrote:Fantastic that this is fixed now - is definitely my favorite map - congrats to DiM on getting it through the foundry.

I have noticed another small typo (although it doesn't affect gameplay:

There is both "Coffee and Tobacco to Manchia Market" and "Coffee and Tobacco Manchia Market", so they show up seperately in the scripts.

Cheers Benji - I'll get that fixed up.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:31 am

I have sent the fixed XML to lack and DiM... and it has been uploaded by Lack. You may need to Hit a Hard Refresh to get this read correctly by BOB.

On another point... DiM... I would consider raising the Pirate Cove Neutral level to say 6...

I think the Pirate Cove bonus is one of the best bonuses going in this map... thus making it harder to get would be good... especially as if you're the guy that lands next to it on the drop you're quids in as you can bag the Cove and a Port - then take over the ports 1 by 1 until you have the map by the scruff of the neck...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:31 am

i've thought about it time after time. but i think 3 is ok. because if others let you keep the ports and gain lots of bonuses it's their fault. the hard part in getting the pirate bonus is not getting the pirate cove but in holding the ports. and since the ports are very valuable for getting other bonuses and also moving across the map i'm sure they are rather hard to hold.
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:55 pm

I kind of like the way the pirate cove works. Whoever ends up with it really behaves like a pirate most of the game. Being in the best position to bust trades and ravaging ports.

However, actually winning a 6 player as the 'pirate' ends up getting a little hard. Even in a 2 player I played going for the cove first ended up not being a great choice for me. I'd say it is balanced as is.

What I find strange is to be honest I really wasn't that into this map during development, but shortly after release and especially after the fix it has become one of my absolute favorites.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:47 am

Coleman wrote:I kind of like the way the pirate cove works. Whoever ends up with it really behaves like a pirate most of the game. Being in the best position to bust trades and ravaging ports.

However, actually winning a 6 player as the 'pirate' ends up getting a little hard. Even in a 2 player I played going for the cove first ended up not being a great choice for me. I'd say it is balanced as is.

the main problem with the cove is that you have all your armies split to protect all the ports and that makes you weak. plus all the other players need the ports to make their foreign trades. and just as a pirate you are more likely to get attacked.

yes the pirate cove can get you a big bonus fast exactly like a pirate would, but in the long run fighting all those pesky peacefull merchants proves very difficult and you'll end up losing.

Coleman wrote:What I find strange is to be honest I really wasn't that into this map during development, but shortly after release and especially after the fix it has become one of my absolute favorites.

that's a natural phenomena. the map had a new concept and people are reluctant to new things especially when they are used to something that works well.

as i said numerous times before this map was bound to be a great success or a miserable failure.

i'm glad you like it.

PS: now my only hope is that life in prison will be easier to make. the first step is always the hardest. and AoM is just the first step in a series of new concept maps.
Major DiM

Postby zarvinny on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:50 pm

My only beef with the map, so far that I can think of, is the capital letters G and H on the map. The H looks out of this world, and I mistook it for a G, and the G's I've mistaken for C's. It would be nice, though not 100% necessary, to perhaps tweak those letters a bit.
Lieutenant zarvinny

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:57 pm

zarvinny wrote:My only beef with the map, so far that I can think of, is the capital letters G and H on the map. The H looks out of this world, and I mistook it for a G, and the G's I've mistaken for C's. It would be nice, though not 100% necessary, to perhaps tweak those letters a bit.

i agree the H is strange but it is a stylized hand writing font. but look at the bright side, there's only one country that starts with H. (Huaretas) :P

about mistaking G for C i'm a bit puzzled. look at the G, it has a vertical line that makes it different than the C :roll:
Major DiM

Postby fireedud on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Wherre did you think of the names for these territories?
Cook fireedud

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:35 pm

fireedud wrote:Wherre did you think of the names for these territories?

some are real names (puerto antigo) or names from books or movies but most are products of my imagination. i basically thought of names that should sound spanish.

PS: funny thing tombi is the nickname of my wife. :lol: i wanted to insert several nicknames of friends but this one was the only one that fitted with the rest. :P
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 pm

OMG
this map is so confusing :evil:
I have no idea what im supposed to be doing and im about to lose :evil:
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:20 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:OMG
this map is so confusing :evil:
I have no idea what im supposed to be doing and im about to lose :evil:

don't be mad. just read the rules twice and take a good look at the map. i have some games with a lot of people that had no idea what to do and after they read the rules and studied the map they now say they love the concept. the worst part is that they are kicking my ass on my own map.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:21 pm

bet that feel liek shite :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas