Conquer Club

WWII Pearl Harbor - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Pearl Harbor

Postby joel07 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

When is the map done?? i want to play it now :D
Cook joel07

Re: Pearl Harbor

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:02 pm

joel07 wrote:When is the map done?? i want to play it now :D

Joel....i applaude your enthusiasm...thank you...but i think there is maybe a couple more weeks of sorting out issues to be done. Sorry, but i'm sure you'll have plenty of fun when its up live. Please don't hesitate though to ask questions and make suggestions on it. :)
Oh and don't forget to drum up some support with your friends for it, thanks.
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Pearl Harbor

Postby joel07 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:
joel07 wrote:When is the map done?? i want to play it now :D

Joel....i applaude your enthusiasm...thank you...but i think there is maybe a couple more weeks of sorting out issues to be done. Sorry, but i'm sure you'll have plenty of fun when its up live. Please don't hesitate though to ask questions and make suggestions on it. :)

Ok!
Cook joel07

V15 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 pm

What's changed:
* the spiel on aircraft bonuses
* oil storage area design - should be clearer now what AAs belong to what

Private cairnswk

Re: V15 Update

Postby Sparqs on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 pm

cairnswk wrote:What's changed:
* the spiel on aircraft bonuses
* oil storage area design - should be clearer now what AAs belong to what

The update looks nice!

I like the hex pattern in the background of the oil tap and I think the color changes to the AA walls is good. I'm not sure it's enough to really make clear that they are part of the Oil Storage bonus, though.

If I were looking at this fresh, I think what would throw me off is that the bonus is named Oil Storage and has a picture of an oil tank, and you've got these 8 oil tanks... I'd think that was it. Plus, the other land-based bonuses have distinctive markers (pennants & roofs).

What about adding some small oil storage tanks? Something about the diameter of the Control Tower. Move one of the Oil AA guns over (like FIS AA) and put a little tank there. Maybe three small tanks to the right of the Oil Tap army circle. What do you think?

I agree with you on the Aircraft wording - it's clear but a bit too long. Since you say this has a few weeks to go, that's something easily changed when the right wording comes up.

Though honestly, I don't know what weeks of work you have left. Are you planning to tweak the bonuses or other aspects of game play?
Sergeant Sparqs

Re: V15 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Sparqs wrote:The update looks nice!

I like the hex pattern in the background of the oil tap and I think the color changes to the AA walls is good. I'm not sure it's enough to really make clear that they are part of the Oil Storage bonus, though.

If I were looking at this fresh, I think what would throw me off is that the bonus is named Oil Storage and has a picture of an oil tank, and you've got these 8 oil tanks... I'd think that was it. Plus, the other land-based bonuses have distinctive markers (pennants & roofs).

What about adding some small oil storage tanks? Something about the diameter of the Control Tower. Move one of the Oil AA guns over (like FIS AA) and put a little tank there. Maybe three small tanks to the right of the Oil Tap army circle. What do you think?
Yeh, i can explore that idea - sounds good.

I agree with you on the Aircraft wording - it's clear but a bit too long. Since you say this has a few weeks to go, that's something easily changed when the right wording comes up.

Though honestly, I don't know what weeks of work you have left. Are you planning to tweak the bonuses or other aspects of game play?

Well, sparqs, who knows what issues others might come up with.
This map has only been in the Forum since 14 May, My first map took 2 + 1/2 months before it was quenched....so there is still some way to go yet. And yes, there may be some tweaks to gameplay yet. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Maybe only i see these.Yours shadows go over some names-Naval Hospital-Oficers Club-Navy Yard
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:51 pm

I haven't been very active in this thread and I think it's a lovely map but it is a bit too busy as well. I don't think anything can be done about that at this stage, will have to see how it feels when I first play it...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:06 pm

qwert wrote:Maybe only i see these.Yours shadows go over some names-Naval Hospital-Oficers Club-Navy Yard

Fixing that now qwert....thanks :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I haven't been very active in this thread and I think it's a lovely map but it is a bit too busy as well. I don't think anything can be done about that at this stage, will have to see how it feels when I first play it...

Hi Ruben...thanks. :) Yes it is busy with 72 terts...i think this is because unlike traditional territories which have sometimes broad borders with space inside those border for the eyes to take scope of the space, there are lots of OBJECTS on this one and tracer attack lilnes don't help either. But i must say the tracer attack lines look far better than straight lines. i think there will be lots of attacks happening on this one when in play.
Private cairnswk

Postby fireedud on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:29 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:I haven't been very active in this thread and I think it's a lovely map but it is a bit too busy as well. I don't think anything can be done about that at this stage, will have to see how it feels when I first play it...

Hi Ruben...thanks. :) Yes it is busy with 72 terts...i think this is because unlike traditional territories which have sometimes broad borders with space inside those border for the eyes to take scope of the space, there are lots of OBJECTS on this one and tracer attack lilnes don't help either. But i must say the tracer attack lines look far better than straight lines. i think there will be lots of attacks happening on this one when in play.

It would be fun playing a realtime freestyle 6-player terminator game.
Cook fireedud

V15 Update - Small changes

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Here are some modifications to V15.
Please refresh your browser with the Shift key.

Private cairnswk

Postby hulmey on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:43 am

There is far too much going on with this map..... Its a great idea but i think you really need to making it less confusing coz i cant see this getting played at all the way it is!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:50 am

hulmey wrote:There is far too much going on with this map..... Its a great idea but i think you really need to making it less confusing coz i cant see this getting played at all the way it is!!

Thanks Hulmey.
Private cairnswk

V16 Update

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:46 am

* This effort entails some artistic license on the shoreline on the left so that it engulfs the legend and moves tokens out of the water.
* Also a granite slab has been added to the bottom to provide background to the "Destructions".

Private cairnswk

Postby hulmey on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:57 am

No need to thank me....

Love the idea of this but im finding it really confusing...Theres just too much going on
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby The Random One on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:36 am

I'm looking at this map, and... I don't know what the deal is with AA. It uses the new ranged attack features? Or just has a one-way border with the territs indicated?

I believe this is said somewhere earlier on the thread, but I shouldn't need to search it to understand what the map does.

Oh, but I won't be a downer... the map is awesome. I love big maps, and I love maps that are not just another map. Hooray. :D
Cadet The Random One

cool :D

Postby BOLLIExWOLLIE on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:36 am

it looks like a difficult map :)
buth it will be nice to play :) i'm sure 'bout that!
good luck with creating more maps :D
the more you create :p the more we'll play :D
by the way i'm new over here :)
Cadet BOLLIExWOLLIE

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:40 am

hulmey wrote:No need to thank me....

Love the idea of this but im finding it really confusing...Theres just too much going on

Hulmey...I'm sorry you find it confusing...and yes there is a lot going on....one could kind of expect that with Pearl Harbor. Perhaps you have to be like all good generals before going into battle and that is to study the terrain before beginning battle. Afterall the only thing that doesn't p[lay like a risk traditional game is the AA Bombardments and the fact that the planes can't attack each other. :wink: BTW, thanks for finally dropping back in!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:46 am

The Random One wrote:I'm looking at this map, and... I don't know what the deal is with AA. It uses the new ranged attack features? Or just has a one-way border with the territs indicated?
Thanks for dropping in The Random One - I don't see any one way borders marked at the entrances to the AA Batteries...do you? Therefore why would you think such. Yes the AAs do use the new feature, but that's all. The only One ways on the map are from Oil Tap to Navy Yard, from NAvy HQ ro Oil Tap, from Oklahoma to K6 and from K6 to Oil H. Maybe however, i need to put the one way indicators into the destructions.

I believe this is said somewhere earlier on the thread, but I shouldn't need to search it to understand what the map does.
i don't recall that but i could be wrong....

Oh, but I won't be a downer... the map is awesome. I love big maps, and I love maps that are not just another map. Hooray. :D
Glad to see you find there is some difference here.
Private cairnswk

Re: cool :D

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:50 am

BOLLIExWOLLIE wrote:it looks like a difficult map :)
buth it will be nice to play :) i'm sure 'bout that!
good luck with creating more maps :D
the more you create :p the more we'll play :D
by the way i'm new over here :)

BolliexWollie...welcome. :)
Yes probably a difficult map...something to really battle over, and sink ones teeth into.
Thanks for the kudos...appreciated! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby jako on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:53 pm

this map is really looking good. i think the finishing draft will be awesome. my finger is just itching to try it out and pronbably get my ass kiked at it too lol :lol: but i do kinda feel like it is a bit cramped in. i understand the feeling of crowdedness that was the original pearl harbour but too cramped could overall affect the quality of gameplay.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:58 pm

jako wrote:this map is really looking good. i think the finishing draft will be awesome. my finger is just itching to try it out and pronbably get my ass kiked at it too lol :lol: but i do kinda feel like it is a bit cramped in. i understand the feeling of crowdedness that was the original pearl harbour but too cramped could overall affect the quality of gameplay.

Thanks Jako...glad to hear you're looking forward to it.
I'll see what I can do about the cramp feeling in next version.

Private cairnswk

Postby Stoney229 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 pm

aircraft is spelled wrong ("airrcaft")
Lieutenant Stoney229

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Stoney229 wrote:aircraft is spelled wrong ("airrcaft")

Thanks Stoney229...fixed already on the next version as we speak. :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas