Conquer Club

Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby jaydog on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:22 am

well Rev. right down to basic map design. seriously, they could have mad a entire new map, but instead he just copied the map they were working on, changed a few borders, inserted some meaninless mountains and are trying to pass it off as an original.

maybe I am bias, as they are 2 of my RL good friends, but this looks like a rip off to me.

sorry if i have offended, but seriously now, what original work have you done?
Lieutenant jaydog

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:18 am

jaydog wrote:well Rev. right down to basic map design. seriously, they could have mad a entire new map, but instead he just copied the map they were working on, changed a few borders, inserted some meaninless mountains and are trying to pass it off as an original.

maybe I am bias, as they are 2 of my RL good friends, but this looks like a rip off to me.

heres what keyogis done in my mind... hes taken their map which they werent working on and was just falling to the depths of the foundry with a promise of "we'll work on it sometime" and he's taken it and prettied it up and worked on it to the point of where it is.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby happysadfun on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:33 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:umm.... so what are the mountains for? They dont seem to be blocking much.

They avoid you from seeing a quad border.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 pm

jaydog wrote:well Rev. right down to basic map design. seriously, they could have mad a entire new map, but instead he just copied the map they were working on, changed a few borders, inserted some meaninless mountains and are trying to pass it off as an original.

Ok, guess I'll put my pitch in.

1. It's Australia, how different do you expect it to be? OMFG! I got a map of Australia with its states and territories and went from there. If you actually look at a map of Australia you'll see that my map actually sticks to the state and territory borders. The other map you're referring to does not, they're there in a rough way, but they are in no way accurate. Hell, Victoria doesn't even exist on the map.

2. I really don't get your comment about ripping it off and changing a few borders. Their map is split, mine is whole. I created all the territories myself.

3. Have you read the whole thread, the first page even. I put this up as an alternative to those that were unhappy with the way the first map was heading. I felt it didn't represent Australia at all. I made my offer, asked if it would be rude in the original maps thread. No one seemed to care then.

4. The other map has been in development for 8 months and it seems nothing has been done for about 6 months. If the creators of that map came and posted a finished version I'd be happy to let them take the Australia map claim, they were first to it.

5. This thread suggests my map is prefered anyway, but I would have the curtousy to let the other map finish its development. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7999

6. Original work. It is all my work, the only thing that is not original is the idea of an Australia map.

7. Last of all, this has been discussed before. Now leave it alone and if you want something to say about the actual map, please go ahead. Threads like yours do not help the development of the map.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:44 am

It seems the other version will never get done.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby w3a2 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:18 pm

i like this one over the other.

THERE YOU HAVE MY VOTE

but if you add say, NZ (2 territory continent accessible from NSW VIC &/or TAS) i think it will be enough of a different spin and make it nice. my opinion, but seriously i don't care.

maybe there's a market for Oceania as a map (taking Indonesia->New Guinea->Aus->NZ+some smaller Pacific Islands).

MAYBE I WILL DO THAT
Private 1st Class w3a2

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Oceania is a good idea, and something I may have considered if I hadn't put so much work into this before people started having a problem with it.

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:21 am

Changes made:

Re-worked a lot of territory borders to give some of them some much needed space.

Changed a few of the border territories. Kimberley now borders NT instead of Sandy which has been renamed Port Hedland. There are a few new names around, including Uluru which replaces Simpson and has been moved West.

I put the mountains back to their original place and added some new ones on the NT/SA border. SA is back to its 3-bordered territories.

I removed the lake from Lake Eyre as it served no great purpose.

I updated the legend on the right side of the image with an icon for river crossings.
Last edited by KEYOGI on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:01 am

Still think Lake Eyre should connect to Broken Hill because otherwise expansion from NSW to Qld or Qld to NSW will not provide any extra borders to defend.

Think you got the bonuses pretty much perfect.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 am

I can make Lake Eyre and Broken Hill border each other, my only concern is Lake Eyre would be attackable from 4 countries in 3 continents. I tried to reduce the difficulty of holding Lake Eyre by introducing those mountains and taking it's border away from WA.

How about I do the Lake Eyre/Broken Hill border and extend Western Downs across to the West, removing the Lake Eyre/Mt. Isa border? I also feel this would make Queensland harder to defend, which is a good thing.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:55 am

thats not bad, i see Lake Eyre as a middle East or North Africa of Classic, a highly desirable country.

Also i think you should change the mountains (design of) between uluru and S. Australia, they look weird, cardboardy.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby jas_in_obit on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:13 am

Having trouble finding time to finish the map, if we can get it up and running for veiwing later we will but at this stage dont hold it up on ur account. The map does look ok, good work.
Sergeant 1st Class jas_in_obit

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Well, well, good job.

1- Uluru name looks like African, I would keep it Simpsom (very minor thing)
2- I would maintain Lake Eyre, it was good to add some spice, I think.
3- I was liking how Lake territory was one step bridge from Western to Queensland, I would maintain it connected to W. Australia.
4- Is "Legend" a good title for the, huhh, legend? Replace it for something like "Bonuses", or something, and put unpassable in a separated box.

Beyond these minor things, that are suggestions, my complaints are just the puzzle pieces looking and both Victoria and S. Australia being green, I still dislike it.

But very good job, and I think we are almost done. :)
Major Marvaddin

Postby steve monkey on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 pm

Uluru is the Aboriginal name for Ayers Rock

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 pm

uluru, african, lol. Uluru is a much more recognised then simpson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uluru
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:37 pm

Marvaddin wrote:

I agree. This isnt me begging for a final forge however I do believe this map meets the parameters as it is pretty done. Then he shall post a picture with numbers etc.. and we will all pick at that until it is quenched.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Well, well, good job.

1- Uluru name looks like African, I would keep it Simpsom (very minor thing)
2- I would maintain Lake Eyre, it was good to add some spice, I think.
3- I was liking how Lake territory was one step bridge from Western to Queensland, I would maintain it connected to W. Australia.
4- Is "Legend" a good title for the, huhh, legend? Replace it for something like "Bonuses", or something, and put unpassable in a separated box.

Beyond these minor things, that are suggestions, my complaints are just the puzzle pieces looking and both Victoria and S. Australia being green, I still dislike it.

1. I think the name should stay. As has been mentioned, Uluru is the aboriginal name for what was known as Ayers Rock. I feel Uluru should remain as it is.
2. Do you mean the lake itself? I can put it back in, I just thought it felt a bit cluttered with it there. Also, it meant the number would be over the lake itself, making blue numbers next to impossible to read for that territory.
3. I think we have big issues with South Australia, as you mentioned, it's the only state to border all others. Therefore, if Lake Eyre was to be a one step bridge from Queensland to WA, it would make holding it even harder. The bonus could be increased to compensate, but I don't think it would help. I feel that once Lake Eyre is bordering Broken Hill, it will be about right difficulty wise.
4. My only problem with changing the Legend title, is I don't have room to put another title in for the natural borders key. I'm open to suggestions for a new title for the legend though.

I'm hoping to have an update done at some point in the next 12 hours. Comments or suggestions before I post it?

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:42 pm

I think South Australia might be a lost cause, just make it like Asia in Classic. You could get rid of all the mountains and give it a really hight bonus (like 6 or something). It would end up like one of those continents in the Ireland map.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:02 pm

So, we have update 1 with Lake Eyre adjusted and the "puzzle" look gone.

Update 2 has the mountains removed with the bonus and key being adjusted accordingly.

Comments and opinions!?
Last edited by KEYOGI on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:25 pm

looks good, I think you need the mountains. This is a very good visual map and should make for an interesting game
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby cowshrptrn on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:49 pm

The mountains below uluru coudl defiantely stay. they could even be extended to completely isolate uluruin the continent
Private cowshrptrn

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:03 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:The mountains below uluru coudl defiantely stay. they could even be extended to completely isolate uluruin the continent

I like them where they are, but it is questonable
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:39 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:The mountains below uluru coudl defiantely stay. they could even be extended to completely isolate uluruin the continent

That could also be acheived without the mountains altogether.

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:06 am

I like it better with the mountains.. looks empty without it.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:36 am

reverend_kyle wrote:I like it better with the mountains.. looks empty without it.
It does look a bit empty without mountains. If u choose that version put back lake eyre that didnt do anything, and maybe add an uluru, just to make it feel less empty.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas