Conquer Club

Cairns Coral Coast [Quenched] - Loaded!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:02 am

Samus wrote:
cairnswk wrote:So where to from here?????? :roll:

Infinity.....and BEYOND!!!!!

Samus is in a good mood this afternoon...my time!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 am

cairnswk wrote:
Samus wrote:
cairnswk wrote:So where to from here?????? :roll:

Infinity.....and BEYOND!!!!!

Samus is in a good mood this afternoon...my time!

Heh, 4 am here, just being loopy before I go to bed.
Major Samus

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:44 am

cairnswk wrote:
boberz wrote:as i said it was good and i dint have an issue and i like it. What does the text look like without the outline i think it might tidy it up a liitle

Do you mean the Title text Boberz?

no i mean the names of territories it might be emboss or some other effect whatever it is i dont like it
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby bigbullyweedave on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:54 am

This looks a lovely map, one of the nicest looking ones, very summery - good work cairnswk!

Can't wait to play it :D
Colonel bigbullyweedave

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:47 am

boberz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
boberz wrote:as i said it was good and i dint have an issue and i like it. What does the text look like without the outline i think it might tidy it up a liitle

Do you mean the Title text Boberz?

no i mean the names of territories it might be emboss or some other effect whatever it is i dont like it

oh ok...Thanks for the feedback Boberz....its actually a glow around the text. I'll see if some others don't like it, and if so, i'll remove it. But I think it adds a pleasant aura to this map.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:49 am

bigbullyweedave wrote:This looks a lovely map, one of the nicest looking ones, very summery - good work cairnswk!

Can't wait to play it :D

bigbullyweedave - your summery adjective is well received. Thank you.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:51 am

Any more feedback????
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I don't know if it's done, but I think at the very least it should be marked [Final Forge] so people can say their final piece before it's quenched. I think you're basically waiting on Andy to say where it's at.
Major Samus

Postby Qwert on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:31 pm

These map is not for final forge(belive me when andy see these he will put imediatly in final forge)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 pm

Qwert, I'd appreciate it if you didn't troll in other topics. I've warned you before. Thanks,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:12 pm

I haven't really posted much in this thread, because I still see no appeal in this idea at all. It's just a small region of a state of Australia with no historical value or interest beyond anyone who lives in the area. If there was to be a map of such a specific area of Australia, I would have thought the Darwin area would be more appropriate since it's probably seen the most action as far as conflict goes.

As for the map itself, I still think it could use some major visual updates. It is a very cramped map to begin with, I don't think those trees, mountains and tableland rises help this at all.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Samus on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I haven't really posted much in this thread, because I still see no appeal in this idea at all. It's just a small region of a state of Australia with no historical value or interest beyond anyone who lives in the area.

See, now this I don't really get. To me, fighting over CCC is just as valid as fighting over France or Iberia. I don't take South America on the Classic map and think "boy, isn't this an interesting area?" I think fortify my two borders based on the layout of the other players. The "brilliant idea" behind a map lasts one or two games. After that, I want something that doesn't look bad and has the playability to make for fun games. The poll DiM did showed that most people are the same way.

The Foundry can be very proud of the visuals in Australia, Chinese Checkers, and King of the Mountains, but I'm already done with all those maps from a gameplay standpoint.

This map I would play repeatedly.
Major Samus

Postby DiM on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:56 pm

really like this map.
it has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes me wanna play it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Qwert on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Now i got you Andy, why you ignoring my topic, please remove old vote poll.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Enigma on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:08 pm

you missed the glow around the name on High Is. and Frankland Is. sorry if this has already been pointed out.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:31 am

Samus wrote:I don't know if it's done, but I think at the very least it should be marked [Final Forge] so people can say their final piece before it's quenched. I think you're basically waiting on Andy to say where it's at.

Samus, your positive contribution is valued as always.

I was not looking exactly for Andy to Final Forge it. I would not be so presumptious to expect that this map could be Final Forged within about 6 weeks. But I am interested in more feedback - postitive feedback would be nice! :)

29Mar V24 Update below includes:

* All borders gausian blurred to 0.5
* Shift in some territories' names and army shadows to centre more

Enigma wrote:you missed the glow around the name on High Is. and Frankland Is. sorry if this has already been pointed out.

* Glow fixed on High and Frankland Islands as requested by Enigma, thanks for that, something I missed. :oops:

DiM wrote:really like this map.
it has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes me wanna play it.

"je ne sais quoi" - Wiktionary Idiom - je ne sais quoi. An intangible quality that adds or makes something attractive or alluring.

DiM - you can come by anytime and post such comments; much appreciated :D

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:38 am

qwert wrote:These map is not for final forge(belive me when andy see these he will put imediatly in final forge)

Qwert, thanks for responding.

U say these map IS READY to go to final forge or NOT READY?
I am sorry that your english language is hard for us to hear what u say.
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 am

cairnswk wrote:
Samus wrote:I don't know if it's done, but I think at the very least it should be marked [Final Forge] so people can say their final piece before it's quenched. I think you're basically waiting on Andy to say where it's at.

Samus, your positive contribution is valued as always.

I was not looking exactly for Andy to Final Forge it. I would not be so presumptious to expect that this map could be Final Forged within about 6 weeks. But I am interested in more feedback - postitive feedback would be nice! :)

Well, I don't really view marking it "Final Forge" as saying "it's about to be quenched." I just know that marking it that will get a lot more attention and feedback, and will help move towards finishing the map. You have satisfied all the concerns people have posted so far, I think it's ready for more commentary.

I don't really see any downside since a map can be in Final Forge for weeks, but Andy might have a different view on Final Forge. I'm not entirely clear on what that tag means, I just know you'll get more views and responses.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:08 am

Samus wrote: I'm not entirely clear on what that tag means, I just know you'll get more views and responses.

Thanks once again. I hear what you say.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:14 am

keyogi :) Glad to hear you voice, thanks for your comments.

KEYOGI wrote:I haven't really posted much in this thread, because I still see no appeal in this idea at all. It's just a small region of a state of Australia with no historical value or interest beyond anyone who lives in the area.

I am sorry that is has no appeal for you, but there are others out there who have indicated an opposite opinion, particularly some foreigners to this region and indeed Australia. I would also disagree with your statement about having no historical value or interest beyond anyone who lives there. I would like to see you say that to the thousands of tourists (722,000 pax international visitors bewteen Jul 06-Jul 07) who regularly visit this region as a jumping off point for diving, marlin and reef fishing, swimming, sunbaking, bushwalking, eco-tourist adventures, white water rafting and clear creek water swimming. All those who come and spend their money here; the Grey Nomad brigade who travel Australia in caravans and pack into Rocky Creek and Mareeba caravan parks annually; WWII servicemen and women from both Australia and the USA who return every year to celebrate the Battle of the Coral Sea and the army encampment regions of Rocky Creek, Mareeba, Atherton, Port Douglas, and Cairns. Much of the Battle of the Coral Sea was fought by planes leaving from Mareeba airport; and not to mention the interest shown recently from those able to afford the land and development here - the area is once again positively booming. Also of interest, is the fact that the Fruit Pickers region around Mareeba supplies much of Australia and oversees markets with various tropical fruits that are in great demand. Hence it's name as a region on this map. You will recall the recent Cyclone Larry that almost wiped the Banana Crop off the map for twelve months - that is centred on Innisfail. The entire coastal region from Port Douglas to Mission Beach and beyond has been a major contributor in Qld to the supply of sugar cane that you may so enjoy in all your eats. Dairy Farmers is the major sponsor of the North Queensland Cowboys Rugby League club, and this region happens to have the longest milk run in the world - all the way to Darwin. The Cairns to Kuranda territories hosts one of the most scenic and robustly engineered rail journeys in the world - the Kuranda Scenic Rail , and also has the first ever SKYRAIL over tropical rainforest which is extremely popular with tourists. The Great Barrier Reef became a World Heritage area in 1981; and the entire region is home to unqiue World Heritage Tropical Rainforests. It would be rude of me to show my ignorance of the importance of this region, rather I would appreciate the region for what it provides. Cairns also BTW has the the sixth largest international airport in the country. As for the current drought situation, please remeber to be kind to us if you decide you want our annual water supplies in the near future. :)

If there was to be a map of such a specific area of Australia, I would have thought the Darwin area would be more appropriate since it's probably seen the most action as far as conflict goes.

Yes, keyogi, Darwin did receive a lot of conflict action during WWII - in fact 243 poeple were killed there, airfields and troops deployed, and apart from the bombing that's about all. Oilfields and fuel depots were shared between all major regions in Australia, as were US troops. Cairns, Mossman, and Townsville on the east coast were also bombed during that war although no-one was killed. You will have your opportunity to attack Darwin in the Battle for Australia map, which is currently available for feedback in my signature block.

However, if rights to be made into a map are judged by the amount of battle action in that sphere of the world, then I would question the validity of your Conquer 4 [Vacation] map as a viable map for CC. I am not a nasty person and am all for more variety in the maps we have to play and your concept is extremely viable and a very good idea. You have my support there.

It is a very cramped map to begin with, I don't think those trees, mountains and tableland rises help this at all.

Appreciate your comments here, but I beleive and am sticking by it, that those mountains, trees and tableland rises are possibly what gives this map its certain "je ne sais quoi". I deliberately chose to work on this map knowing that the arrangement of mountains, rivers and other geogrpahical features might just be positive aspects for a good tactical map. Large numbered territories eg 60 will always be cramped when width is comfined to approx 600px for small maps. All maps don't have to be dark and warlike; they can be filled with strategy and fun. This map is tropical in colour & flavour & ambiance, so do hope on board and savour it!! :D

And I would also to express my appreciation for the contribution of those who have posted positive support for this map. Champagne glasses all round, I believe. Clink! Clink!
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:19 am

there's a border i'd like changed. in the curent layout there's a little 2 px border between inisfail and mena creek. if that was the intention make the border more clear if not here's an example.

a little border:

modified to have no border:

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:13 am

DiM wrote:there's a border i'd like changed. in the curent layout there's a little 2 px border between inisfail and mena creek. if that was the intention make the border more clear if not here's an example.

a little border:

modified to have no border:

DiM, thanks for picking that up...I beleive it was ear marked previously, but I guess the change may have got lost. Anyway...as below...

Private cairnswk

Postby Enigma on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:50 pm

well, i have to say i didnt like this map much at first, but it is growing on me. it does seem a little cramped, but it is playable, and i assume that this is the small version. i play the small maps, and this isnt any more cramped than some of the others.
my biggest issue was that the geographical area simply has very little appeal for me. but i agree with samus. and it is actually a rather unique map, because it is more the idea of a tactical battle as opposed to global strike.

one note- you put a waterfall in the corner of topaz, palmerston, and nerada. the cyan of the water is the same colour as that of the dairy farmers continent- so some might think that you can attack from nerada to topaz. i would just move the waterfall to the left slightly, or continue the darker blue riverline all the way to the mountains, to make the divide clear.

btw- the bridges are really nice- same idea as lone.prophet's netherlands but the blur keeps it from being copycat.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Enigma wrote:one note- you put a waterfall in the corner of topaz, palmerston, and nerada. the cyan of the water is the same colour as that of the dairy farmers continent- so some might think that you can attack from nerada to topaz.

Thanks Enigma for feedback....the legend however tells everyone that waterfalls are not passable, and if you di9d try to attack that way it would surely come up as an illegal move. I will seen if there is any alternation the the waterfall I can create.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53 am

Enigma wrote: it does seem a little cramped, but it is playable, and i assume that this is the small version. i play the small maps, and this isnt any more cramped than some of the others.

Enigma - yes this is the small map.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas