Conquer Club

Holy Roman Empire 1648

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 - V25 Pg.1 and 11 - 19May08

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Graphics are amazing! Great JOb!
Private RjBeals

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 - V26 Pg.1 and 12 - 20June08

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 pm

One of the greatest joys of the Foundry is when someone new stumbles in and starts a map...AND has the dedication, spirit, and skills to take it somewhere. :)

I'm a big fan of the texture for the map, it's a plus I say. The water, not so much. It feels lackluster. Maybe it's the color, I'm not sure. But it doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the map.

The Title text stretch doesn't look very pleasant. Perhaps consider a slightly different presentation (or even font).

I also think with the graphics style of this map, a different representation of the bridges is in order. The "land connecter" doesn't seem to fit.

Your color scheme seems to be pretty good, I think I like it. Though Piemont and that continent could use a little change, just make it more visually different from Burgund area.

Good luck!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby pamoa on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:32 am

First an explanation about the color scheme. It is the result of triple layer mix:
behind a yellowish old paper filling
above the grey level land texture (google image)
on top the color scheme itself: grey levels for bordering state and colors for HRE

Kaplowitz wrote:I think you should make the colors a little stronger, its kind of hard to tell what is what.

sorry I don't get what you cannot see ?!?
t-o-m wrote:I'm not too keen on the glow on the influences and things like that. Maybe change the ocpacity to be lower, or take some of the spread of the glow off, or find a new way to do the same job as the glow but would make it better

Me neither, as said above it is still an open question. But I'll wait for a while and see if some ideas pop out!
AndyDufresne wrote:...I'm a big fan of the texture for the map, it's a plus I say. The water, not so much. It feels lackluster. Maybe it's the color, I'm not sure. But it doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the map.
The Title text stretch doesn't look very pleasant. Perhaps consider a slightly different presentation (or even font).
I also think with the graphics style of this map, a different representation of the bridges is in order. The "land connecter" doesn't seem to fit.
Your color scheme seems to be pretty good, I think I like it. Though Piemont and that continent could use a little change, just make it more visually different from Burgund area.

I'll work on some texture for the water, although it's very touchy not being too decorative.

What does bother you about the title?

You allready commented about bridges and I did hope this could fit but I'll think about something else, less "plain".

I'll try to shift slightly the density of southern europa. But the actual organisation result from the necessity to put west europa in a more bright color to get it clear that holland and danmark are part of it. Then I put the darker sahde in east europe to be clear that prussia is not part of it. So the medium sahde was for south europe
Last edited by pamoa on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby oaktown on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:19 pm

this is looking sharp.

little things:
• does anybody find it more clear to say "each set" rather than "per set" in the legend? i know it's minor, but I did say these are little things.
• the Vor-Pommorn title is closer to the Hinter circle than the Hinter title is... I can promise you I will mis-deploy there at least once.
• could you make the border between the above two territories just a few pixels longer? It could be overlooked.
• Space between "river" and "Connect" in the left legend?
• In the influences list, some are nouns and some are adjectives... Rome should be Roman or Austrian should be Austria, etc.
• I didn't notice at first that there has been a victory condition added since I was last around... maybe this should be somehow made more prominent, because it's pretty important!
• Apologies if this has already been settled, but the western region has as many territories, borders, one more bordering terit, and equal bordering regions as russia in the east, yet is worth more. I guess the difference is that it doesn't hold any canons and thus doesn't contribute to the rest of the game? If that's the intention I'm fine with it, I just thought I'd bring it up - you all can tell me to shove it.
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:37 pm

small map?Can you show small map?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grayhawke on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:53 pm

oaktown wrote:this is looking sharp.
• Apologies if this has already been settled, but the western region has as many territories, borders, one more bordering terit, and equal bordering regions as russia in the east, yet is worth more. I guess the difference is that it doesn't hold any canons and thus doesn't contribute to the rest of the game? If that's the intention I'm fine with it, I just thought I'd bring it up - you all can tell me to shove it.

The spreadsheet values were reduced by 0.5 for each cannon within a region; so, yes, the eastern region has been reduced from 3 to 2.

For the influence bonus I find the phrase "per set" to be quite natural and understandable, but equally have no objection to "each set".

For the list I would suggest adjectives - Electoral, Prussian, Spanish, Austrian, and Ecclesiastical
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:08 am

qwert wrote:small map?Can you show small map?

Easy boy, as it's a big job. I prefer to do it once, instead of making corrections on 2 maps. So I'll work on it later but don't worry you will see a small map. :)
oaktown wrote:• does anybody find it more clear to say "each set" rather than "per set" in the legend? i know it's minor, but I did say these are little things.
• the Vor-Pommorn title is closer to the Hinter circle than the Hinter title is... I can promise you I will mis-deploy there at least once.
• could you make the border between the above two territories just a few pixels longer? It could be overlooked.
• Space between "river" and "Connect" in the left legend?
• In the influences list, some are nouns and some are adjectives... Rome should be Roman or Austrian should be Austria, etc.
• I didn't notice at first that there has been a victory condition added since I was last around... maybe this should be somehow made more prominent, because it's pretty important!...

grayhawke wrote:For the influence bonus I find the phrase "per set" to be quite natural and understandable, but equally have no objection to "each set".
For the list I would suggest adjectives - Electoral, Prussian, Spanish, Austrian, and Ecclesiastical

"per set" "each set" is the same for me as english is not my mother language, if nobody is angaist I'll change it.

I know Vorpommern name is not ideally placed. But it was the only place without going over a border which was told to be a problem in a intervention above. I know it could need some adaptation from players but as you said a minor point. So I'll stick to it for the moment.

The border between Vor- and Hinterpommern will be fixed

I tried to put a space line between river and connect, the problem is that it break appart the legend and make two blocks of text wich is disturbing the eye. And as it is a minor information graphic comes above readability.

For influence bonuses I would be more keen with State names than their adjective. To my point of view it does fit better with the other territories names on the map. But I'll wait for more input on this. (Electors, Prussia, Spain, Austria and Rome). Another possibilty is to use the family names ?!

I will make the special winning conditon more prominent when I'll work on this legend
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 am

yeti_c wrote:I like this - first time I'd popped in here in a while - but the new GFX are really coming along.

I also like the simple - gameplay - with an objective too.

Great stuff.

C.

agreed
General Blitzaholic

Postby grayhawke on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 am

pamoa wrote:... For influence bonuses I would be more keen with State names than their adjective. To my point of view it does fit better with the other territories names on the map. But I'll wait for more input on this. (Electors, Prussia, Spain, Austria and Rome). Another possibilty is to use the family names ?!

In English I feel the adjective to be more natural, but if we are trying to keep in harmony with the territorial names why not use German for the Influence Bonuses?
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 am

pamoa wrote:... For influence bonuses I would be more keen with State names than their adjective. To my point of view it does fit better with the other territories names on the map. But I'll wait for more input on this. (Electors, Prussia, Spain, Austria and Rome). Another possibilty is to use the family names ?!

grayhawke wrote:In English I feel the adjective to be more natural, but if we are trying to keep in harmony with the territorial names why not use German for the Influence Bonuses?

The problem with german names is that it would be the same with 2 territories and the end of the legend should remain in english
Einfluss Bonus (Kurfürstenkollegiums): Kurfürsten, Preußen, Spanien, Österreich, Rom / per set, hold all.
So let's stick to english and if you say it's better with adjectives it's OK for me. As I said before english is not my mother language.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ogrecrusher on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 pm

I dislike the piece of dead land below Krain. Why not make it part of that territory?
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby grayhawke on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Ogrecrusher wrote:I dislike the piece of dead land below Krain. Why not make it part of that territory?

It's part of the Venetian Republic (Venedig)
Cadet grayhawke

HRE v27

Postby pamoa on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 am

Click image to enlarge.

new features: water texture, title, bridges, europe south color density, influence bonuses bg and txt, pomerania border.
Cadet pamoa

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 - V27 Pg.1 and 13 - 29June08

Postby Lone.prophet on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 am

i think you can best make the borders black so they fit with the mountains
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby grayhawke on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:25 am

Two minor points:
  • For the Influence Bonus "Rome" looks out of place; I think "Bishops" would be a better description
  • The army circle for Hinter-pommern would I think be better placed above the cannon
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:53 am

Lone.prophet wrote:I think you can best make the borders black so they fit with the mountains

They are two reasons they are red. First the graphical differenciation between territorial border and region border has been requested in many other map to help a quick determination of the regions limits. So I anticipated it. As I didn't want to make thicker borders which a bold design not enough elegant for that type of map. And to include it in the graphic theme I choose the red, which is with black (for main borders) and yellow (for background) the three colors of the empire flag: double-headed black eagle on a golden background with red claws and beak.

grayhawke wrote:Two minor points:
For the Influence Bonus "Rome" looks out of place; I think "Bishops" would be a better description
The army circle for Hinter-pommern would I think be better placed above the cannon

"Bishops" is fine for me.
Sure, closer to the name... I should have seen it
Cadet pamoa

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 am

For the Influence Bonuses box, I'd change the bottom text to read "Each set +2/Special condition:/hold all to win". Capitalize the "e" in Each, the "s" in Special, and add a colon after "condition"
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby pamoa on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:14 am

ZeakCytho wrote:For the Influence Bonuses box, I'd change the bottom text to read "Each set +2/Special condition:/hold all to win". Capitalize the "e" in Each, the "s" in Special, and add a colon after "condition"

I'll do it
Cadet pamoa

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:44 pm

The title in the upper left doesn't do it for me. I'm not exactly sure why...perhaps it's the color behind it, and the semi-blurred image...

--Andy

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Nice Pamoa:D Andy's right...The title Is weird somehow
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby grayhawke on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Nice Pamoa:D Andy's right...The title Is weird somehow

I think the previous title was better - perhaps try putting it in a frame to match the bonus map bottom right? (Though to do so the word order might need changed to "Imperium Romanum Sacrum")
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:34 am

AndyDufresne wrote:The title in the upper left doesn't do it for me. I'm not exactly sure why...perhaps it's the color behind it, and the semi-blurred image...

Unit_2 wrote:...The title Is weird somehow

grayhawke wrote:I think the previous title was better - perhaps try putting it in a frame to match the bonus map bottom right? (Though to do so the word order might need changed to "Imperium Romanum Sacrum")

I'll try something else.
Title word order was allready discussed, if I can I'll stick to the "official" title.
And Andy are you fine with bridges now?
Cadet pamoa

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Bridges look fine. I'd maybe consider a slight color alteration just so the southern bridge isn't the same color as the continent near it.

--Andy

Postby oaktown on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm

gameplay issues I feel still need some attention:
• victory condition is still easily overlooked (I know, you're aware of it)
• the western region bonus is going to throw somebody off since it's not contiguous. The trouble as I see it is that the color of that region is such a neutral color that when you look at the mini-map you don't immediately put those territories together. Somebody who isn't using BoB will take Burgund and Frankreich and expect a bonus on their next turn. I see why it's a neutral color - they're all frontier/border territories - but something needs to be draw attention to the netherlands and denmark in the small map.

I know Vorpommern name is not ideally placed. But it was the only place without going over a border which was told to be a problem in a intervention above. I know it could need some adaptation from players but as you said a minor point. So I'll stick to it for the moment.

Instead of moving the title, move the Hinter army circle to be above the cannon, and thus closer to the correct territory name.
Captain oaktown

Postby pamoa on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:16 pm

oaktown wrote:gameplay issues I feel still need some attention:
• victory condition is still easily overlooked (I know, you're aware of it)
• the western region bonus is going to throw somebody off since it's not contiguous. The trouble as I see it is that the color of that region is such a neutral color that when you look at the mini-map you don't immediately put those territories together. Somebody who isn't using BoB will take Burgund and Frankreich and expect a bonus on their next turn. I see why it's a neutral color - they're all frontier/border territories - but something needs to be draw attention to the netherlands and denmark in the small map.

I'll try to improve those 2 points.

grayhawke wrote:...army circle for Hinter-pommern would I think be better placed above the cannon

oaktown wrote:Instead of moving the title, move the Hinter army circle to be above the cannon, and thus closer to the correct territory name.

pamoa wrote:...Sure, closer to the name... I should have seen it

As grayhawke said and I answered... it was obvious. :oops:
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas