Conquer Club

Feudal War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:36 am

KEYOGI wrote:
gimil wrote:yeti_c me and DiM have a new project in the works you might be intrested in.

So you three are already doing this map and you have another in the works? Why the need for two graphics people and a coder? I think any map should have a maximum of two people working on it, a third seems rather pointless. :?

2 heads are better than one and 3 are better than 2 :)

we want to do a series of maps all tied by a story. being a rather large project i feel that 3 people is an ok number.
because we have different styles and techniques and we can enhance eachother's work.

i make a nice castle and gimil makes a nice path, i do a bridge, gimil adds a village and so on. :lol:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 am

yes both me and DiM work on graphics.

But we have diffirent skills.

And we can learn from each other in teh procees :wink:

EDIT: DiM fast posted me :evil:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:39 am

KEYOGI wrote:Personally, I don't feel the map warrants being moved. From what I understand, this map isn't feasable under the current XML system and I don't believe the map has sufficient support to continue its development.

We'll just have to wait until Andy gets back so the matter can be discussed. It's nothing personal against you gimil, I'm just a bit anal about moving maps until I'm sure they're ready. :wink:

you're joking, right?? :roll:

what do you mean the map does not have enough support? :shock:

carribean map has had far less support than this and it's now quenched. at some point in the carribbean thread there were only 2 people posting. me and edbeard. adn it was quenched when it had 110 replies. this map has more support than the carribean. i think it deserves to be in the main forum.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:41 am

Come on DiM, the majority of the comments in this thread are from yourself, gimil or yeti_c. Those posts don't really count when you three are involved in making the map.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:51 am

KEYOGI wrote:From what I understand, this map isn't feasable under the current XML system

The map is feasable under the XML.

Bombardment
Bonus Deployment on terr
and maby even the mission terrs

KEYOGI wrote:Come on DiM, the majority of the comments in this thread are from yourself, gimil or yeti_c. Those posts don't really count when you three are involved in making the map.

this is true but NO ONE is really helping to push ANY maps through. Once Andy returns i think there needs to be a serious discussino and this ideas sub forums existance. but thast jsut my opinion :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:53 am

KEYOGI wrote:Come on DiM, the majority of the comments in this thread are from yourself, gimil or yeti_c. Those posts don't really count when you three are involved in making the map.

look at my posts i wasn't involved until later on. at first i was just an usual bystander that watched the progress and gave advice.

also other people came and posted here they did not give much feedback because probably they thought things are running smoothly.

here are the people that posted here except you me gimil and yeti_c:
Kaplowitz - likes it
Spockers - doesn't like it but he's an idiot and should be ignored.
Telvannia - likes it.
hulmey - likes it
thegeneralpublic - likes it.
snufkin - likes it
d.gishman - likes it.
edocsil - likes it.
Fireside Poet - likes it.
JupitersKing - likes it
Sparqs - likes it
Steel Panzer - likes it
The1exile - gave feedback but did not express opinion
hatterson - gave feedback but did not express opinion

i'm counting 11 yes 2 neutral and 1 no.
by my math this map does have support.
:wink:

also if you look at other maps that are in ideas this thread is the most active. it's more active than most of the maps in the main forum or the final forge too.

it's summer, people are on vacation or outside enjoying the weather. that's why recently the whole foundry is kinda dead. and despite this deadness this thread just keeps going. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:02 am

KEYOGI wrote:Personally, I don't feel the map warrants being moved. From what I understand, this map isn't feasable under the current XML system and I don't believe the map has sufficient support to continue its development.

We'll just have to wait until Andy gets back so the matter can be discussed. It's nothing personal against you gimil, I'm just a bit anal about moving maps until I'm sure they're ready. :wink:

Keyogi - what part of the map do you think is not feasible with the current XML?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby fireedud on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:04 am

Fireedud- likes it
Kaplowitz - likes it
Spockers - doesn't like it but he's an idiot and should be ignored.
Telvannia - likes it.
hulmey - likes it
thegeneralpublic - likes it.
snufkin - likes it
d.gishman - likes it.
edocsil - likes it.
Fireside Poet - likes it.
JupitersKing - likes it
Sparqs - likes it
Steel Panzer - likes it
The1exile - gave feedback but did not express opinion
hatterson - gave feedback but did not express opinion
Cook fireedud

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:05 am

DiM wrote:it's summer, people are on vacation or outside enjoying the weather. that's why recently the whole foundry is kinda dead. and despite this deadness this thread just keeps going. :wink:

Yes, and yourself, gimil and yeti_c are the only ones really keeping this thread alive.

From the list you posted, little of the comments from these people have actually been helpful comments, they've just been yay or nay. I feel this map at least needs to develop a little further to catch peoples interest and imagination.

Anyway, I've taken this discussion to PM with gimil, so I think we can leave the discussion there.

I wish the map well, but I don't have high hopes... it's just my opinion.

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:08 am

Its been decided that this discussion will be put on hold until Andy returns.

So lets get back to the map

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:11 am

yeti_c wrote:Keyogi - what part of the map do you think is not feasible with the current XML?

yeti_c wrote:The problem is that these 2 maps won't be able to be played (as is) with out the neutrals - as the need for each player to start with a castle cannot be fulfilled with the current system...

If the XML was tweaked further then these maps could work but at the moment the need for the forcing of neutrals is paramount.

You said it yourself yeti. I admit I struggle with the more complex XML features, but this is coming straight from you, someone I have faith in.

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 am

KEYOGI wrote:
DiM wrote:it's summer, people are on vacation or outside enjoying the weather. that's why recently the whole foundry is kinda dead. and despite this deadness this thread just keeps going. :wink:

Yes, and yourself, gimil and yeti_c are the only ones really keeping this thread alive.

From the list you posted, little of the comments from these people have actually been helpful comments, they've just been yay or nay. I feel this map at least needs to develop a little further to catch peoples interest and imagination.

Anyway, I've taken this discussion to PM with gimil, so I think we can leave the discussion there.

I wish the map well, but I don't have high hopes... it's just my opinion.

i don't really see where's the problem. so what if the 3 of us are keeping the thread alive?

at least the thread is doing better than most of the others.

and you still haven't responded to my comment about the carribbean. map. that map also had little feedback and it got quenched.

you say you wish the map well and yet you refuse to take it out of ideas thread. :wink:
the prison riot map doesn't even have graphics and it's still out of the ideas ideas forum despite the fact it does not have graphics, teritory names and finished gameplay.

this one has a 100% finished gameplay, has most of it's graphics done and you say it's not worth moving :wink:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 am

KEYOGI wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Keyogi - what part of the map do you think is not feasible with the current XML?

yeti_c wrote:The problem is that these 2 maps won't be able to be played (as is) with out the neutrals - as the need for each player to start with a castle cannot be fulfilled with the current system...

If the XML was tweaked further then these maps could work but at the moment the need for the forcing of neutrals is paramount.

You said it yourself yeti. I admit I struggle with the more complex XML features, but this is coming straight from you, someone I have faith in.

it is actually possible. simply make all the terits except the castles start as neutrals. :wink:

what yeti was talking about was a new feature that would allow you to code what castle each player gets. like red gets X castle blue gets Y castle, etc.
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 am

DiM wrote:the prison riot map doesn't even have graphics and it's still out of the ideas ideas forum despite the fact it does not have graphics, teritory names and finished gameplay.

I'm not responsible for moving all maps from ideas to the main forum, there are other mods that do this as well. I have personally only moved one map myself, but can we please leave this issue for now. If you wish to continue discussion on the issue, feel free to PM me.

As for your comment on the Caribbean map, I think edbeards initial work showed a lot more promise than the initial stages of this map. But sersiously, continue this discussion via PM if we must.

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 am

KEYOGI wrote:

I think ehs jsut worded it wrongly.

I think he means that unless there some kind of XML update that garuntees each player to start with a castle then to make the gameplay work there need a full map of nutrals so that there is only 6 terrs left.

If there was a new feature thats allows you to code say:

Code: Select all
<country>

<name>Castle 1</name>
        <borders>
            <border>Castle Grounds</border>
        </borders>
     <player start>10</player start>
</country>

This idea would allow each palyer to garuntee a start on a caslte and allow some more terrs to be open at the start of a game.

but right now this is possible.

It jsut requires ALL terrs to be neutral (except castles) to ensure that everyone gets a castle

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Teya on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:51 am

I dont like the idea, however I will try to provide some helpful feedback.

The castles dont seem to blend with the map. To me they seem to be floating on it.
I dont like how green the map is. There isnt really any variation at all. You have some brown splotches that dont seem to blend in very well. You have 4 in the top half of the map & 3 in the bottom half of the map and they are in line with each other (if that makes sense). I feel they need to be more random.
With how green the map is.... yes the map needs to be green but if you used slightly different shades around the map I think it would be a bit more realistic. If you look at an arial shot of farmland for instance, you get a large variety of greens and even browns.
The river looks stationary. Rivers arent like this. Some texture would help alot. (yes I know the graphics are not done, Im just trying to help) But the texture of the river should be a bit different from the lake.

DiM mentioned that gameplay was 100% finished.... something that is bothering me is that Feudal Empire needs to attack through Lake Side and Sothern Plains to get to the nameless castle in the bottom left corner and the rebel territory. Is this correct? Or have I missed something somewhere? If I havent missed anything and this is how the gameplay is, if you are lucky enough to be deployed in either castle on the left you will have a very high chance of winning.

Are you going to have any trouble putting army numbers in some of the smaller territories?

Oh, one last thing about the green.... is there a reason the legend is also green?
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:52 am

Gimil - Correct

Keyogi - As DiM pointed out that comment was taken out of context in this discussion - at present this map will play like the "Conquest" mode that Coleman suggested...

If you want it to play like a "Normal" risk map then the need to be able to force "scenarios" is necessary.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:01 am

Teya wrote:The castles dont seem to blend with the map. To me they seem to be floating on it.

Working on it :D

Teya wrote:I dont like how green the map is. There isnt really any variation at all. You have some brown splotches that dont seem to blend in very well. You have 4 in the top half of the map & 3 in the bottom half of the map and they are in line with each other (if that makes sense). I feel they need to be more random.

I still plan of some more landscaping like cliffs etc. right now most of my map time is on playing arounmd will tools and filters to get a good result

Teya wrote:With how green the map is.... yes the map needs to be green but if you used slightly different shades around the map I think it would be a bit more realistic. If you look at an arial shot of farmland for instance, you get a large variety of greens and even browns.

Ill look into it.

Teya wrote:The river looks stationary. Rivers arent like this. Some texture would help alot. (yes I know the graphics are not done, Im just trying to help) But the texture of the river should be a bit different from the lake.

Again playing with tools and filters. The closes i got was a texture that was to big and noticeable.

Teya wrote:DiM mentioned that gameplay was 100% finished.... something that is bothering me is that Feudal Empire needs to attack through Lake Side and Sothern Plains to get to the nameless castle in the bottom left corner and the rebel territory. Is this correct? Or have I missed something somewhere? If I havent missed anything and this is how the gameplay is, if you are lucky enough to be deployed in either castle on the left you will have a very high chance of winning.

Not eaxclty. Bonuses come from teh castle, villages and gold mine+merc camp. Each of these have been spaced out to make sure each castle has a desent chance to gain something.

Teya wrote:Are you going to have any trouble putting army numbers in some of the smaller territories?

Possible but there wont army circles at hte moment so i dont think there will be to much of a problem.

Teya wrote:Oh, one last thing about the green.... is there a reason the legend is also green?

Its not finished yet. lol

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Teya on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:11 am

gimil wrote:
Teya wrote:DiM mentioned that gameplay was 100% finished.... something that is bothering me is that Feudal Empire needs to attack through Lake Side and Sothern Plains to get to the nameless castle in the bottom left corner and the rebel territory. Is this correct? Or have I missed something somewhere? If I havent missed anything and this is how the gameplay is, if you are lucky enough to be deployed in either castle on the left you will have a very high chance of winning.

Not eaxclty. Bonuses come from teh castle, villages and gold mine+merc camp. Each of these have been spaced out to make sure each castle has a desent chance to gain something.

Im still not 100% clear... Feudal Empire and nameless castle have to go through alot of other territories to get to each other. I feel it is too far and another connection or 2 could be made somewhere. I dont know if it is needed cos I have no idea what you plan to do/not do. How important is the rebel territory? Could that be used as a stepping stone to get around the map easier? Or is that a totally crap idea?
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Coleman on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:22 am

I'm pretty upset this is still in map ideas personally. Not much else to say.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:24 am

Teya wrote:
gimil wrote:

The rebel territoies is needed. i need 6 castles so that this game is do-able for 6 palyer people. If i was able to make my map a little larger i probably could do what you want but i think im already pushing teh guidlines.
Im still not 100% clear... Feudal Empire and nameless castle have to go through alot of other territories to get to each other. I feel it is too far and another connection or 2 could be made somewhere. I dont know if it is needed cos I have no idea what you plan to do/not do. How important is the rebel territory? Could that be used as a stepping stone to get around the map easier? Or is that a totally crap idea?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Teya on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:27 am

It is late and Im having trouble getting my point across clearly. (its not even clear in my head)

Im not saying get rid of the rebel territory castle. Im wondering if it would matter if it had another connection between it and feudal empire.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:29 am

Teya wrote:It is late and Im having trouble getting my point across clearly. (its not even clear in my head)

Im not saying get rid of the rebel territory castle. Im wondering if it would matter if it had another connection between it and feudal empire.

yeah it would make the 2 castle a little 2 clsoe and risk a palyer being taken out early in hte game.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Teya on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:34 am

Yeah, I get your point.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby gimil on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

lol

maby KEYOGI would let me push the height guideline further and and i can open it up a little more. But i dont see it happening :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas