Conquer Club

Greater China [Quenched] (thanks Widowmakers)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby johloh on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:44 pm

ur rivers look weird

i think they look off because they look like they are raised above the land, instead of being a depression. maybe switch the direction of the bevel?

-i like the look of the ocean
-maybe outline or drop shadow on the text/symbols in the legend? i think it needs something
-the text of shaanxi should be realigned in the territory i think, or atleast move the army bubble down near the words
-same with antrui (id move the text up and to the left)
-i dont like the continent being only 2 regions i might include it with another, you already have a lot of small continents, and no really big major ones.
-i also dont think anyone would go for the purple continent without taking the blue one next to it, maybe combine the two for a larger continent?
-give the bridges that cross water shadows (like the sea route has)

I really do like the overall clean style of the map though...I just think the continents might want some more reworking....
Major johloh

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm

johloh wrote:
ur rivers look weird

i think they look off because they look like they are raised above the land, instead of being a depression. maybe switch the direction of the bevel?

-i like the look of the ocean
-maybe outline or drop shadow on the text/symbols in the legend? i think it needs something
-the text of shaanxi should be realigned in the territory i think, or atleast move the army bubble down near the words
-same with antrui (id move the text up and to the left)
-i dont like the continent being only 2 regions i might include it with another, you already have a lot of small continents, and no really big major ones.
-i also dont think anyone would go for the purple continent without taking the blue one next to it, maybe combine the two for a larger continent?
-give the bridges that cross water shadows (like the sea route has)

I really do like the overall clean style of the map though...I just think the continents might want some more reworking....

-ok
-i try to do something to the legend
-i'll look to those 2 country names and shades
-i'm sorry but thats a important continent i can't add that to anather
-and i won't add the purple to the blue because i don't think all people will do that and i think it needs a bonus on it own
-i'll give the bridges a shadow
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Well lets see...

I like the general look of the map, it feels different compared to most others. I rather like your Impassable Legend. I'd suggest do something similar with the bonus legend in style...curvature wise. I think the soft edges feel better on the eye.

In regards to the rivers looking weird, I think it may be the fact that your ocean is 'below' the land, while the rivers seem to be 'above', popping out.
Also, I think it might be beneficial to play around the with ocean's color a little more, perhaps slightly darker (not too much).

Going with the rivers...the bridges, I'd play around with the look and style of that a little more...and not all bridges have to be north and south...they can be angled. Something to keep in mind. In regards to the sea routes, don't really like that either. Perhaps a sea route, if you change it all, would be better for the two bridge areas over the ocean.

Also, eh, I'm not so keen on the non-gameboard texture...or maybe it's the color? I'm not sure. Maybe more of a gray-brown?

Also not a fan of the impassable borders thus far. If you go with the raised mountains in the west, I'd make them even 'taller' and 'wider'. They don't feel like mountains...they look like hills. Also, the great wall graphic feels like a piece of sand paper.

I rather like the font, but I'm afraid for it in some places in the east. This is the problem that has always plagued the China Map idea...fitting the names in properly so they can be read easily. For the most part, you've done it, but maybe you could shrink the font slightly... I don't know.

Second to lastly, the White Stars aren't cutting it for me. They don't seem to stand out enough. Maybe you can find a better image or color. Have you considered....instead of using a star...using some sort of Chinese Language Character? Just to keep with the theme of the map.

Lastly, I thought I'd just point this out, I'm not sure if anyone else has...but I bet many people will love Shanxi and Shaanxi...just like people love Ireland and Iceland, and the Cagayan and Cayagan... ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:29 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Well lets see...

I like the general look of the map, it feels different compared to most others. I rather like your Impassable Legend. I'd suggest do something similar with the bonus legend in style...curvature wise. I think the soft edges feel better on the eye.

In regards to the rivers looking weird, I think it may be the fact that your ocean is 'below' the land, while the rivers seem to be 'above', popping out.
Also, I think it might be beneficial to play around the with ocean's color a little more, perhaps slightly darker (not too much).

Going with the rivers...the bridges, I'd play around with the look and style of that a little more...and not all bridges have to be north and south...they can be angled. Something to keep in mind. In regards to the sea routes, don't really like that either. Perhaps a sea route, if you change it all, would be better for the two bridge areas over the ocean.

Also, eh, I'm not so keen on the non-gameboard texture...or maybe it's the color? I'm not sure. Maybe more of a gray-brown?

Also not a fan of the impassable borders thus far. If you go with the raised mountains in the west, I'd make them even 'taller' and 'wider'. They don't feel like mountains...they look like hills. Also, the great wall graphic feels like a piece of sand paper.

I rather like the font, but I'm afraid for it in some places in the east. This is the problem that has always plagued the China Map idea...fitting the names in properly so they can be read easily. For the most part, you've done it, but maybe you could shrink the font slightly... I don't know.

Second to lastly, the White Stars aren't cutting it for me. They don't seem to stand out enough. Maybe you can find a better image or color. Have you considered....instead of using a star...using some sort of Chinese Language Character? Just to keep with the theme of the map.

Lastly, I thought I'd just point this out, I'm not sure if anyone else has...but I bet many people will love Shanxi and Shaanxi...just like people love Ireland and Iceland, and the Cagayan and Cayagan... ;)

--Andy

hmm soft edges didn't think of that i try that ;)

i'll change the sea color, and the rivers

i'll look to other sea-routes, and i will change the directions of some brigdes, however thats more work than you think it is ;)

and yes the brown color looks to warm i think, i'll make it more gray

wider mountains is no problem i'll do that

i've downloaded that font and its now "4" and if i do it to 3 it is to small :S, but i'll make it readable

thanx for the symbol idea :)

P.S
you missed hunan & henan XD
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby johloh on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:31 pm

i've downloaded that font and its now "4" and if i do it to 3 it is to small :S, but i'll make it readable

dont forget you can do font sizes like 3.5 too!
Major johloh

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:32 pm

johloh wrote:

dont forget you can do font sizes like 3.5 too!

thnx a lot!

P.S
its 3,5 by me i have the eropean version ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby santon836 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:47 am

Keep working!
This is a good map.

I do like the rivers, they look good.
The small lift-up effect makes it more clear and 'impassable' in my vision.
Private santon836

Postby Wisse on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 am

santon836 wrote:Keep working!
This is a good map.

I do like the rivers, they look good.
The small lift-up effect makes it more clear and 'impassable' in my vision.

i already made my rivers better ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby happysadfun on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:56 pm

Please don't use the communist flag. It hurts my head.

Nei Mongol should be split.

Other than that, looks good.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Wisse on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:58 pm

search google, can you find anather flag? and china is still a bit communist i think (most in the west)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Wisse wrote:search google, can you find anather flag? and china is still a bit communist i think (most in the west)

The flag is fine. Don't worry about it...there are more important things to focus on in this map. And anyway it is China's flag...anyone who doesn't like it should complain to the People's Republic of China. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:34 pm

happysadfun wrote

what to say in these opinion? Maybe he must go to school again.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 am

qwert wrote:happysadfun wrote

what to say in these opinion? Maybe he must go to school again.

i think he is just a bit older than me and still has school, :P
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Anarchy Ninja on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:37 am

The flag is fine. Don't worry about it...there are more important things to focus on in this map. And anyway it is China's flag...anyone who doesn't like it should complain to the People's Republic of China.

i was getting worried till i read this, the communist flag has a hammer and a sickle i thought most people knew this :lol:. i supose it is an easy mistake though both are red and contain gold and china is run by the communist part of china, besides wat other flag could be used then the chinese one
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchy Ninja

Postby Wisse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am

the long awaited update ;)

changed the wall of china, it looks more like a wall now
changed the rivers
changed the mountain
changed the sea route
changed the rivers
changed the army shades
changed the font size
changed the legends with a emboss
changed the kapitals

i hope you all like he new changes :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Qwert on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:50 am

do you have some graphic mistake in W,Xizang and E.Xizang borders, and you must create better wall, look in Guiscard topic, hes wall look better but can be more realistic.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:57 am

qwert wrote:do you have some graphic mistake in W,Xizang and E.Xizang borders, and you must create better wall, look in Guiscard topic, hes wall look better but can be more realistic.

that isn't a mistake E.Xizang is a sort of a plateau
and i don't want to make the same wall as Guiscard ;) because it doesn't fit in my map, and its not nice to sea the same wall on 2 difference maps
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby johloh on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:09 am

-i like the rivers better now, they look 'right'
-is the great wall that curvy in real life?
-i might ditch the phillipines island down in the lower right corner, does not add anything...
Major johloh

Postby Wisse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 am

johloh wrote:-i like the rivers better now, they look 'right'
-is the great wall that curvy in real life?
-i might ditch the phillipines island down in the lower right corner, does not add anything...

-thnx
-i don't know, but it doesn't have to be exactly as the real one ;)
-well it looks nicer to me with it, without it i think something is missing
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Qwert on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:27 am

Guiscard have similar wall like you now, and people say that must be better, but these only my opinion :wink:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:17 pm

qwert wrote:Guiscard have similar wall like you now, and people say that must be better, but these only my opinion :wink:

i know ;)

but gyes i need more replys, i have now fixed the thing qwert sayed before, that the left border of Xinjiang doesn't fit, i have fixed that, and now the only thing i can do is making the picture in the impassabale borders legend of the ountains better,

mayby someone can tell me how to check the cordinates in photoshop? and how much i have to add to it because otherwise it comes to high and to far to the west?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Samus on Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I don't know if you're past the point of changing countries and regions around, but here's some stuff you ought to know. I will assume with 28 countries this map is intended for 4 people. Given that:

There is slightly more than 22% chance someone will start the game holding Jinan.

There is about a 4.3% chance someone will start the game with Beijing, another 4.3% chance for Shenyang, and yet another 4.3% chance of someone having all 3 symbols upon initialization. It is more or less a certainty that at least one of the players will start the game with 2 of the 3 in at least one of these regions.

If left as is, I would anticipate a LOT of complaints about how one or two of the players start with a huge advantage.
Major Samus

Postby MountainLion on Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Has anyone here ever played "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" on NES, SNES, or Playstation?

This reminds me of that game. :)
Major MountainLion

Postby Wisse on Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:35 am

Samus wrote:I don't know if you're past the point of changing countries and regions around, but here's some stuff you ought to know. I will assume with 28 countries this map is intended for 4 people. Given that:

There is slightly more than 22% chance someone will start the game holding Jinan.

There is about a 4.3% chance someone will start the game with Beijing, another 4.3% chance for Shenyang, and yet another 4.3% chance of someone having all 3 symbols upon initialization. It is more or less a certainty that at least one of the players will start the game with 2 of the 3 in at least one of these regions.

If left as is, I would anticipate a LOT of complaints about how one or two of the players start with a huge advantage.

i made this map especialy for 3/4 players and if they begin with that they are lucky ;) i have even seen a player against me on the Alexander's empire map and he had Mauryan empire at the start, its just luck ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:40 am

last update, can't do anything more without comments, so please comment
also i want to know how to get the cordinates with photoshop

changed the rivers, they look more like rivers now
changed the left border of Xinjian, so that it does fit
changed "China" in the flag
changed the "mountains" in the impassable borders legend
changed the font of the legends

please, please comment, i don't know anything that i can aprove and i don't know how to find cordinates
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas