Conquer Club

Greater China [Quenched] (thanks Widowmakers)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Qwert on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:47 am

qwert wrote
Hinijang terittory its out of map.
You can put some pictures what present neigbours of china in these gray terittory.
What these in north of Ш.Hizаng terittory_

Its look that you dont read my opinion why :?:
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:54 am

qwert wrote:qwert wrote
You can put some pictures what present neigbours of china in these gray terittory.
What these in north of ?.Hiz?ng terittory_

Its look that you dont read my opinion why :?:

srry i did read it but forget to comment about it

the pictures comes later, i want first the names, legenda, bonuses, rivers & other impossible borders, sea routes & other routes

and i didn't understand your other question
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 pm

till now most people do like the normal font, so i will have that till the votes changes
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:17 pm

an update:
put a flag of china in it and put the name china on the flag (also did the texture on the flag)
sea-routes and bridges
legend
trowed the black/white country away

the only thing is that i don't know if the sea routes looks good, i have no idea how to make them better

i think the tekst in the legend looks great and the bridge do too

the only things i have to make no are impossible borders and army shades i think
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:58 pm

i have now addes armie shades:
i don't know if you like them

questions for now:
1) what can i do about the sea routes, i don't like them
2) do you like everything (the new updates)
3) what must i do with imposible borders? must i make the ones there are in real-live or just put them where i want?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Wayyyy Heavy on the east. I guess that is how China is but I dont like it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Qwert on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Its these problem with me?
I will put my qwestin 3 time.
qwert wrote
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:28 pm

I hate the stripped texture and all the fonts you put to vote. I like the flag (not the title being on it) and the texture of the surrounding area.

Plus, I still think the continents are very poorly constructed: Zhejiang is the single country that is not a border country of its continent. And why dont you make a better use of huge territories like Xinjiang?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Sea Routes: Your lines are too thick, in my opinion, though the color is good. A razor thin line with Neon, and a Drop Shadow would look nice, I think.

I'm not a fan of the font (the on-country names), but I could get used to it, I suppose. The block style is hard to read.

Impossible Borders: That's a tough one. You can put them where you wish, of course, and I think very few people would complain (I dropped a mountain range in western Ireland (British Isles Map) and I've heard few complaints). It would be nice to match up such borders with real-life obstacles, though this isn't always possible. China has a lot of mountains in the west, and the Gobi Desert. I suppose the Yellow River would work as well.

... Big China fan, here. Keep it up!
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:41 am

an impassable border could be the great river
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby lozzini on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:21 am

How about a differant font for each continent?
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 pm

qwert wrote:Its these problem with me?
I will put my qwestin 3 time.
qwert wrote

i said that id didn't understand that, what do you mean whit that?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I hate the stripped texture and all the fonts you put to vote. I like the flag (not the title being on it) and the texture of the surrounding area.

Plus, I still think the continents are very poorly constructed: Zhejiang is the single country that is not a border country of its continent. And why dont you make a better use of huge territories like Xinjiang?

i will try other fonts, because 30% of the people said other fonts, and i think thats much enough
i must make impossible borders, i didn't make them yet so thats why they are nearly all borders,
and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;) i did already split up xizang, but i can't find any reason for the others

i don't like the most textures u mostly use (no offence), i wanted something else than an other map, some people like yours some mine ;)

and i will ry to find anather texture for the land around china
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Nobunaga wrote:Sea Routes: Your lines are too thick, in my opinion, though the color is good. A razor thin line with Neon, and a Drop Shadow would look nice, I think.

I'm not a fan of the font (the on-country names), but I could get used to it, I suppose. The block style is hard to read.

Impossible Borders: That's a tough one. You can put them where you wish, of course, and I think very few people would complain (I dropped a mountain range in western Ireland (British Isles Map) and I've heard few complaints). It would be nice to match up such borders with real-life obstacles, though this isn't always possible. China has a lot of mountains in the west, and the Gobi Desert. I suppose the Yellow River would work as well.

... Big China fan, here. Keep it up!

a drop shadow, didn't thought about it yet, thnx, and i will try to make them smaller, but what do you mean with a razor thin line? (i am dutch i don't know everything ;) )

thnx for the yellow river idea, i can make it nearly as in real-live
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:an impassable border could be the great river

can you post an image of that river i don't know wich river you mean, if i go to search i can't find it.

also i have some mountains in mind to make
and mayby the great wall
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am

update:
another texture for the land random china
thinned the sea routes and put a shade after it
changed the armie shades
made 2 impossible borders and a legend for the borders (didn't made the bridges over the river, you can say where i must put them)

do you like one of the 2 fonts i tryed now:
Shanxi
Hebei
i personily like Shanxi
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Wisse wrote:and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;)

Its not supposed to be the real China, with a regional government or something alike. Its supposed to be a CC map. So, yes you can split territories or join them. If you have not a good name, you can call them North Xinjiang and South Xinjiang (just an example)

The new font is better, but I think the letters are very big and you would have room problems.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Marvaddin wrote:
Wisse wrote:and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;)

Its not supposed to be the real China, with a regional government or something alike. Its supposed to be a CC map. So, yes you can split territories or join them. If you have not a good name, you can call them North Xinjiang and South Xinjiang (just an example)

The new font is better, but I think the letters are very big and you would have room problems.

if i make then 1 thing tinyer they are so tiny you can't read them :S
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Countries are ok, but you could do with about 8 more, 36 is a nicer number (3, 4 & 6 go in perfectly)

The font is beautiful! keep it as is please!!! it's one of the best features to look at on the map! (maybe you could make it all one colour to stop a few people complaining) It's one of the best fonts I have seen on maps/in general and it fits perfectly.
Please don't use the stupid other ones.

one last thing, The sea routes and bridges are horrible, the need to suite the map more. personally, i hate bridges anyway, but if you must, have simpler/nicer ones, and the sea routes look horrible as one straight uncut line, i suggest taking a look at a few other maps.

That is the only real nitpick, this is a great map, and I look forward to playing it :wink:
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
Private 1st Class bedplay

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:51 pm

bedplay wrote:Countries are ok, but you could do with about 8 more, 36 is a nicer number (3, 4 & 6 go in perfectly)

The font is beautiful! keep it as is please!!! it's one of the best features to look at on the map! (maybe you could make it all one colour to stop a few people complaining) It's one of the best fonts I have seen on maps/in general and it fits perfectly.
Please don't use the stupid other ones.

one last thing, The sea routes and bridges are horrible, the need to suite the map more. personally, i hate bridges anyway, but if you must, have simpler/nicer ones, and the sea routes look horrible as one straight uncut line, i suggest taking a look at a few other maps.

That is the only real nitpick, this is a great map, and I look forward to playing it :wink:

the problem about the sea routes and bridges is i don't know how to make them better, so if you got idea's how i can mke them better say it :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:00 pm

maybe you could add the really famous bridges across from shaanxi to hubei and shan xi to henan
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:maybe you could add the really famous bridges across from shaanxi to hubei and shan xi to henan

i don't see the point for 2 bridges so close
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 pm

for the sea route, I have just bent it (In my opinion a MUST) and used the "oil-->textured brush" as the brush for the line (in fireworks) i think i could have dont the top line a little better with an s type bend in it though, but you get the idea.

for the bridges, the ends need to be a bit more blurred into the other colour (not just a flat edge) and I think they need to be thinner. (fat short bridges don't look good in my opinion.
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
Private 1st Class bedplay

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 pm

how do you make them rounded? i can't find it,
and i will imporver the bridges
thnx :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Wisse. Didn't realise you were doing a new map as I was a bit busy in the past days. Anyway I am going to give you some feedback but I didn't have time to read the thread so ignore my comments where the issues have already been addressed before.

1. It's IMPASSABLE borders not impossible ;)
2. The fonts in the legend are great but I have problems reading the fonts on the map. You seem to have put a choice, but I actually prefer the ones I cannot read properly. Maybe if you style them a bit they are the best choice. (Xinjiang type)
3. I am still not convinced with the sea routes. Maybe you could try a curvy dotted line?
4. The bridges are a bit ugly. Look into better graphics that create a 3D effect.
5. Try to make the Great Wall of China look more like a wall than an ordinary impassable border.
6. I like the texture of the sea and the flag!

That's all about the visual aspect for now. Keep up the good work! ;)
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas