Conquer Club

Hong Kong [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:13 am

Could u organise the key from most bonus troops to least? I know its not done in most maps, but it would make it soo much easier.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby casper on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 am

hey all.. finally an update on this map. here are the changes from the last one.

- removed black border
- changed bonuses according to comments
- changed color of connections over water to match borders
- renamed Kwun Tung to Lok Ma Chau because it was only one letter off from Kwun Tong
- renamed Hong Kong territory -> Victoria
- minor text tweaks to make it easier to read on small map.

i did not change the sea. i like it the way it is. and i think the purple of Sai Kung is different enough from the sea - especially since the sea has those lighter blue 'waves'. pretty easy to differentiate.

i've coded the xml and double checked it and it's ready to go. as far as i'm concerned it's done and i'd love to get it up on the site. thanks to everyone who gave input on this. :)

Major casper

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:03 am

It looks real nice. I preferred the key when it was in black, but it really doesnt matter.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:48 am

this is like final forge quality on page 2 id say thats impresssive...
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:49 am

A small change i think you could make would be to join Kau Sai to Clearwater Bay.

I hate countries which only have one border, they are coming more common in maps but in the classic map is not present.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:48 pm

Hopefully I'll be around more tomorrow to work in the Foundry. Currently busy with all day courses.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby casper on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:34 am

here's what it looks like with armies....

Major casper

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:13 am

I agree Kaisaui to Clearwater Bay is best.. it cant be put up without that..
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby casper on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:47 am

yeah you guys are right. clearwater bay should connect to kau sai. otherwise there are not one but two territories with only one neighbor. thanks for pointing it out. i will edit and repost in a few days. until then if anyone has any more suggestions, lay em on me. especially any about playability. any problem areas? i'm still not sure the continent borders are open enough...besides kowloon which will be the toughest to hold.
Major casper

Postby dcowboys055 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:03 am

i will be first to play this i think its great, however i dont know much about the nitpicky stuff on maps
Captain dcowboys055

Postby Vader_09 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 am

I like the map but i agree with every1 when they say u need to change the color of the ocean.
Sergeant 1st Class Vader_09

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:07 pm

Now that I'm back and have more time...I'll try to catch up on things.

---I'd have to agree that adding the mentioned connection would help out that continent quite a bit, and keep movement much easier.

---As for other gameplay mechanics... I'd look into the bonuses.
  • Lantau = fine
  • New Territories = could be knocked to a 4 due to only 3 entrances, but still can make an argument for 5 due to the many countries that make up the continent
  • Kowloon = also seems be fine, could be maybe a 5.
  • Plover Cove = seems off. Consider it has 4 borders and 7 countries, but only a bonus of 4. While Kowloon has 4 borders and 8 countries, but is worth 2 more armies.
  • Hong Kong = 3 borders and 6 countries, but a value of 3? Maybe a 4 would be better. Something to consider
  • Sai Kung = 3 borders, 8 countries. 4 seems alright, could make an argument for 5, but I think for 4 might be better suited.

As for the visuals...

---I suggest looking into playing with the color tones of the continents. I like that they are bright. It's something that hasn't been experimented with very often here. But the white lettering on the current orange is a little harsh for my eyes.

---Also, I'd look into perhaps making the border's a slightly gray color, similar to what is going on in the green continent. Just so there isn't so much white in the central area.

---If possible, look into making the connection point between Dabu and Sha Tin a little more prominment. Perhaps be erasing a little land.

---As for the ocean, I like it the way it is. But it seems others do not. Maybe post a few images of varying degrees or ideas you have. Then you can see where people's interests lie.

---Also, maybe look into fiddling with China's colors a little, and making it not seem so flat.

---And you've done a pretty good job of centralizing the coordinates, A few seem off still. Make sure you go through and recenter those that are a slightly off.

I hope to see a new version coming soon!

--Andy

Postby Ronaldinho on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:21 pm

map looks good. Well done
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:25 am

Looks really nice!
I would suggest making the circles slightly lighter, so blue's armies show up better.
Maybe make the light blue waves a slightly greener shade of pale blue so that the overall look of the ocean is less purple and therefore more distinct from the continents.
this is probably a pain, now that you've worked on the mountains already, but how bout clearing the mountains from round Tai Wai (so it at least connects with Dabu, but maybe Sha Tin as well) and extend that range west to divide Kwai Tsing & Tsuen Wan. And keep Wong Tai Sin protected. That way you don't increase Kowloon's borders, but do reduce linearity. Just a thought. There may be reasons why this is not a good idea, that I've not thought through...
cheers
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby happysadfun on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:35 pm

save the map its dying but good
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:45 pm

Happy, you don't need to bump every map that falls down the page a little ways. The Developmental Atlas located at the top of the Foundry is to keep things on record, so maps don't fall into the Foundry Furnace forever. I appreciate your enthusiasm though. ;)

--Andy

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:56 pm

this is at least final forge worthy.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby dussle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:19 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:---As for other gameplay mechanics... I'd look into the bonuses.
  • Lantau = fine
  • New Territories = could be knocked to a 4 due to only 3 entrances, but still can make an argument for 5 due to the many countries that make up the continent
  • Plover Cove = seems off. Consider it has 4 borders and 7 countries, but only a bonus of 4. While Kowloon has 4 borders and 8 countries, but is worth 2 more armies.
  • Hong Kong = 3 borders and 6 countries, but a value of 3? Maybe a 4 would be better. Something to consider
  • Sai Kung = 3 borders, 8 countries. 4 seems alright, could make an argument for 5, but I think for 4 might be better suited.

I agree with Andy for some of this, but I think New Territories should definitely stay a five, Plover Cove should be a five, Hong Kong should stay a three, and Saikung should become a 3.

Also, is there a more fitting name for this? Hong Kong is the name of the map and of a "continent.
Sergeant dussle

Postby zarvinny on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 pm

dussle wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:---As for other gameplay mechanics... I'd look into the bonuses.
  • Lantau = fine

I agree with Andy for some of this, but I think New Territories should definitely stay a five, Plover Cove should be a five, Hong Kong should stay a three, and Saikung should become a 3.

Also, is there a more fitting name for this? Hong Kong is the name of the map and of a "continent.

I agree- BUT - saikung Should NOT BECOME a three. Plover -5, NT - 5, Kowloon -6, hong kong 3,
Lieutenant zarvinny

Postby carl on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Great Job! can't wait to play it!
Private carl

Postby dussle on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am

zarvinny wrote:
dussle wrote:
  • Lantau = fine

I agree- BUT - saikung Should NOT BECOME a three. Plover -5, NT - 5, Kowloon -6, hong kong 3,

Yeah... I didn't look very hard @ Saikung. You're right, it should stay as a three.
Sergeant dussle

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:36 am

carl wrote:Great Job! can't wait to play it!

I agree.
Major Marvaddin

Nice

Postby Faxmax on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:39 pm

Looks like a good start, when you're done I'll definetley play on the Hong Kong map...
Corporal 1st Class Faxmax

Postby casper on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:31 pm

ok i'm gonna get back to work on this.... final(?) update soon.
Major casper

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:55 am

Marvaddin wrote:
carl wrote:Great Job! can't wait to play it!

I agree.

Thats rare.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas