Conquer Club

Cairns Coral Coast [Quenched] - Loaded!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Teya on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 pm

I still dont think this map is worth continuing. You only have 1 person giving you input.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks Teya, I'd like to give it a couple more weeks, and see if circumstances change.

I do think however, that 7 people have had input so far, not just one; and 26 people have voted. No HOT HOT stats, but a start is a start.

Perhaps if people are interested in good game play as indicated in the map preferences poll, Samus may have provided good advice to get thing rolling.

May I ask if there are any enhancements that you would like to see?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:01 pm

What are the table land rises? if they are impassible objects some of them are a bit misplaced, if not they should just be removed, they are confusing. Try to make the title area look a bit better, the writting looks squished, and the background is a bit off
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Teya on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:39 pm

No, sorry I cant offer any advice as the map has absolutely no intrest for me. Im an aussie and it still doesnt appeal to me.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 am

Bad Speler wrote:What are the table land rises? if they are impassible objects some of them are a bit misplaced, if not they should just be removed, they are confusing. Try to make the title area look a bit better, the writting looks squished, and the background is a bit off

Bad Speler, hi...no they are not impassable objects. they simply indicate the boundary of the Tablelands in height as compared with the coast. I was trying to create some 3D effect.

Perhaps they do not need to be indicated in the Legend, rather than removing them.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:23 am

Bad Speler...this might clear things up....as to what's passable and not!

Private cairnswk

Postby santon836 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:33 am

I don't like the dimmed colors...
They give the map a dark and a bit unhappy feeling.
It is a tropical beach, if i'm right. (I can be totally wrong)
Private santon836

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:08 am

Yes, that new passable/unpassable legend helps.

Title Area looks much better but im not sure about the font. For me, i dont like the radial gradian on every territory, but perhaps im a minority. With the tableland rises between Julatten and Port Douglas, it is a bit hard to tell wether Daintree and Julatten border or not, consider putting anoher mountain there to make sure no one gets confused if it is indeed unpassable. Also, if those are mountains try giving it a brown or grey colour, not forest green.

Cairns Coral Coast 11Mar V7 Update

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Bad Speler....thanks for you input. I have changed the total feel of the map in the V7 update below.

Private cairnswk

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:55 pm

looks much better! now how about making fitsroy Is and N. & S. Franklin Is not look like circles (unless thats how they are actually shaped)

Postby Teya on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:16 pm

Are you making the large or small map first? Part of the reason this doesnt appeal to me is it is so compact so it looks a little cluttered.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Samus on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Teya wrote:Are you making the large or small map first? Part of the reason this doesnt appeal to me is it is so compact so it looks a little cluttered.

I think this is the small version, so the large will feel less cluttered when he makes that.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Teya....thank you for responding. This is the small map at 600 x 526...at present. Certainly I would not want it to become any wider for the small map. And the large map would be no larger than 800px.

Samus had assisted to devise this map at 60 territories for a large game...they are realistic, and to give you an idea of real distances....Cairns to Innisfail is only 1 hour drive; Cairns to Daintree is just over 1 hour drive; Cairns to Mareeba is 1 hour drive; and Cairns to Atherton via the Gillies is 1 hour drive.

It is a very compact area, and as you correctly pointed out before this applies because it is a regional map. I think if there was any less territories, the game play wouldn't be as great. Perhaps if I extended the map length-ways, this might not be an issue for you. What do you think? Should I give it a go?
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:It is a very compact area, and as you correctly pointed out before this applies because it is a regional map. I think if there was any less territories, the game play wouldn't be as great. Perhaps if I extended the map length-ways, this might not be an issue for you. What do you think? Should I give it a go?

No, this is just the nature of a large (60 territory) map. The small version looks cluttered and it's pretty much just unavoidable. If you messed with the length it would cause problems with needing to scroll down to attack, and possibly wouldn't be able to see part of the map as you click to attack there. People can just use the large version.
Major Samus

Postby Teya on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:07 pm

I think the map would look better if it was made taller. Not only would it help with the cluttering, it would give territories more room for shadows. which I think you will need.
I dont think you should add more territories, just extend the map a bit.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Teya on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:10 pm

Samus wrote:If you messed with the length it would cause problems with needing to scroll down to attack, and possibly wouldn't be able to see part of the map as you click to attack there. People can just use the large version.

Not everyone can use the large version. This is why I think large maps should be made first, it avoids the guessing factor.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 pm

OK....let me test it.

I will complete the XML for this small map and post the test result as an image...that might help determine if the map is too overcrowded, and how it looks for a small map.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:39 am

Results of XML test below...i don't think it is too crowded! Compact yes, but not overcrowded.

Private cairnswk

Postby Molacole on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 am

Not sure what the raised land represents, but if it means it's a one way attack from high ground to low ground you've got yourself some fixing to do.

If a player gets eliminated from the main land (high ground) he is going to lose. He wont be able to attack up hill from what it looks like. :roll:
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:00 am

Molacole...no the legend indicates that this is PASSABLE. It is only there to indicate a change in height as one goes from the coast to the tabeland....I was trying for the 3D effext.
Private cairnswk

Postby Molacole on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:03 am

ahhh ok I didn't notice the word passable. Too focused on the rest of the map I guess.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:39 am

And below shows the HOT SPOT xml test on the lareg version, sorry about the font...it will not be like this in the final draft.

Private cairnswk

Postby MasterZ on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:00 am

Looks nice :)
Current Score: 11-23
Largest Streak: Current / win / lose: 2 loss / 4 / 8
Current / Least / Most: 1053 / 992 / 1153
Private MasterZ

Postby santon836 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 am

I don't like the new bridges.
The old ones looked like bridges, which i like.
Private santon836

Postby Teya on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:58 am

I personally think the small map is very crowded with the numbers on the map. The number in emerald creek barely fits. And that is only a single number. If it was a 10 it wouldnt fit. I also dont think the lakes has enough room. And they are only the territories that I can be bothered typing.

I think this map may benifit from having army shadows. Yellow and grey numbers arent easy to read in the yellow continent and I dont think grey numbers would be easy to see in the grey continent. Army shadows will help with that.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas