Conquer Club

The Great Lakes -- [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:19 pm

I know I said I was going to make a new bridge and dock but they just look awful that small. I came up with this new idea.

Basically the shoreline of any "port territory" ( you will notice there is no longer that name on the map) has been blended into the lake. Plus the arrows have been modified to reflect the colors of the two adjacent attacking territories. Whether they be land or lake.

I feel this is well within the feel of the map and does allow the text for explaining the borders to go away. The arrows are easy to understand but they do not really stand out. Once you look at the map they are easy to see and explain well.
Major WidowMakers

Postby keiths31 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:30 pm

I think the map looks great. I also think some people are being to critical of trivial things. The last map looks great and very user friendly.
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby jnd94 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:09 pm

i like it. the bridges made a bit of confusion and this clears it up
Captain jnd94

Postby spiesr on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 pm

I dislike the way the whole map is on an angle...
Captain spiesr

Postby jnd94 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 pm

spiesr wrote:I dislike the way the whole map is on an angle...

but that is wat makes it different from all the other maps!
Captain jnd94

Postby spiesr on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 pm

jnd94 wrote:

If that is the only thing it has to make it unique, then it should die...
Captain spiesr

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:48 pm

spiesr wrote:
jnd94 wrote:

If that is the only thing it has to make it unique, then it should die...

Except that it isn't the only thing it has to make it unique. I like the real world maps, we need more. Not that I have anything against the more abstract creations.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rollercoaster375 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Okay, so, I think this map looks really cool, however I disagree with the "Syracuse" title. Syracuse isn't really even the largest city in the area. Albany also appears to be in the area.

As for "Watertown"... I've spent years worth of my life in the Adirondacks, and I've never once been to Watertown. I think "Adirondacks" is a very reasonable title, as the entire area really doesn't come down to a single town (And in fact, there really isn't one.)

But yes, just trying to be helpful. I can't wait to be able to play this map =D

Thanks for your efforts.
Sergeant rollercoaster375

Postby Molacole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:43 pm

ok only thing I can come up with at the moment is...

can lake erie attack saginaw?

st. ignace - mackinac arrows
st. ignace - sault st. maria
windsor - buffalo arrows

look like they seperate the two bodies of water. So I was wondering if

windsor - detroit is suppossed to be the seperation or if lake erie can attack siginaw.

Also I like how the font looks a bit wavy and I don't think you should change it if anyone asks you to.

for the syracuse name change debate I would definitely stick with syracuse...
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Enigma on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 pm

i love the blended shorelines- not sure about the arrows pointing into the water. they make good bridges, but not necessarily ports.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby everywhere116 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 pm

The arrows look great! Now I can tell if Detroit attacks Lake Erie or Lake Huron!
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby ruthlessontogeny on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:16 am

rollercoaster375 wrote:Okay, so, I think this map looks really cool, however I disagree with the "Syracuse" title. Syracuse isn't really even the largest city in the area. Albany also appears to be in the area.

As for "Watertown"... I've spent years worth of my life in the Adirondacks, and I've never once been to Watertown. I think "Adirondacks" is a very reasonable title, as the entire area really doesn't come down to a single town (And in fact, there really isn't one.)

In the central new york region (i.e., not new york city or buffalo), syracuse is the largest city. rochester lies in the "buffalo" district on the map, albany lies in "new york city" (and is smaller than syr regardless--95k compared to 147k), and binghamton, utica, rome, oswego, and ithaca are all considerably smaller than syracuse. check wikipedia if you doubt it either the location or population statistics.

re: watertown vs. adirondacks, again, the debate centers around whether one sticks to a municipal theme. the rest of the map names territories based on major cities within that territory. going with that criteria, watertown is the largest city in northern new york state.
Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Sergeant 1st Class ruthlessontogeny

Postby steve monkey on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:56 am

great looking map, can't wait to play on it. I think the fading some of the territories into the lakes, together with the accompanying arrows, makes it very clear which territories can attack the lakes or not. A good job =D>

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby spinwizard on Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:00 am

looks amazing...good job :D
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:08 am

Molacole wrote:ok only thing I can come up with at the moment is...

windsor - buffalo arrows

windsor - detroit is suppossed to be the seperation or if lake erie can attack siginaw.
Saginaw does not have shoreline and an arrow pointing into erie so it cannot attack
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gilligan on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 am

How do you know where the lakes end?
Captain Gilligan

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:59 pm

what happened to the flags of the states? that was cool, put it back!... lol i like the old map better
Sergeant 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby wiggybowler on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:05 pm

I really like this map and can not wait to get to play it but not sure exactly where each lake ends.
Assassin of Spamalot
Major wiggybowler

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:33 pm

wiggybowler wrote:I really like this map and can not wait to get to play it but not sure exactly where each lake ends.
I guess I really don't see how people can't understand the lakes. There are 5. Only 1 lake borders three others, Huron. Lake Ontario is connected to Erie. Erie to Huron. Huron to Superior and Michigan. There are no borders because there is no need.

Or I can put this another way. If you have a lake, follow the water till you get to the next army circle for the other lake. These can attack each other.
Major WidowMakers

Postby rollercoaster375 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:06 pm

ruthlessontogeny wrote:
rollercoaster375 wrote:Okay, so, I think this map looks really cool, however I disagree with the "Syracuse" title. Syracuse isn't really even the largest city in the area. Albany also appears to be in the area.

In the central new york region (i.e., not new york city or buffalo), syracuse is the largest city. rochester lies in the "buffalo" district on the map, albany lies in "new york city" (and is smaller than syr regardless--95k compared to 147k), and binghamton, utica, rome, oswego, and ithaca are all considerably smaller than syracuse. check wikipedia if you doubt it either the location or population statistics.

re: watertown vs. adirondacks, again, the debate centers around whether one sticks to a municipal theme. the rest of the map names territories based on major cities within that territory. going with that criteria, watertown is the largest city in northern new york state.

Eh... It's pretty darn close as to whether or not Albany's in that area. And while Syracuse may have a larger population than Albany itself, Albany/Schenectady/Troy [AKA the capital region] is essentially one city, with a greater population (And I don't need to check Wikipedia, I lived there for 10 years.) and beyond that, Albany is much more well known (And if it is in the NYC territory... That's a recipe to offend people from the area—They're awefully proud that they don't live in NYC).

While I understand the theme, the problem lies in that there simply isn't a definitive town/city in that region. So much so, that a large amount of people in the area have very little clue where Watertown is. I only did because I've seen it on weather maps before.
Sergeant rollercoaster375

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:39 pm

wow.... Watertown is a horrendous name for that area. I live about half an inch away from the watertown army circle and I have never even heard of it.

Adirondacks or North Country is much better.

by the way, there is a watertown in about 20 different states.
Captain mibi

Postby Molacole on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:48 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Molacole wrote:ok only thing I can come up with at the moment is...

windsor - buffalo arrows

Saginaw does not have shoreline and an arrow pointing into erie so it cannot attack

yeah I was trying way to hard to find something wrong. truth is I think the map is close to completion and I would play it as is.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:50 pm

What Port Territory Explaination/layout is the best?

Anchor symbol in each port plus explanation (Current pic page 7)
48% [ 21 ]
Change the outline of the lakes. Showing where they can/can't attack
23% [ 10 ]
Add docks to and from the land/lakes plus explanation
27% [ 12 ]

Total Votes : 43
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby sammy324 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:45 am

Another possibilty for "watertown" could be Lake Placid. It's not a big town, but for its olympic history and reputation as a touristy place, it should be considered.
Corporal 1st Class sammy324

Postby MR. Nate on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:05 am

OK, the spreadsheet link is down, or I would have figured this out myself.

Are Pennsylvania & New York together worth 4? I'm wondering if there needs to be another border on one, but without a change in bonus. Right now, if someone holds New York & Pennsylvania, they're holding 8 territories with 2 Borders. That seems too easy, but like I said, you've got the spreadsheet.

By the way, I love the fact that this map doesn't have a bunch of text explaining everything. It's very freeing.

wiggybowler wrote:I really like this map and can not wait to get to play it but not sure exactly where each lake ends.
OK, really? Do you see where the lakes get really skinny? Those are called rivers or straits, not lakes. Therefore, the lake ends there. Which one was it that is confusing you?
Corporal MR. Nate

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas