Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:58 pm

hulmey wrote:i think the layout is all wrong of this map Coleman....It should be fighting up the beaches...The machine gun bunkers should be straight onto the beach not in the fields!!!!How it is there is no real fighting!!!

I think im going to give this a go myself

the german defenses were all up in the bluffs and cliffs above the seawall. the beach was just a killing field.

but i wish you luck with your version.
Captain mibi

Postby spinwizard on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:37 pm

spinwizard wrote:how did u make the holes in the sea wall?
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:33 pm

spinwizard wrote:
spinwizard wrote:how did u make the holes in the sea wall?

i made the sea wall then i used the lasso tool to take out a section of it, then i cut up the section and reinserted bits of it back into the gap adding a 1px drop shadow.
Captain mibi

Postby Qwert on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:55 pm

It baffles me how you have a problem with the same style on both of my maps, when 80% of the maps on the site are essentially expansion packs of the Classic map.

In some point you right,80% of map have no story, only story is the map present these and these country, and so little map present some battles(like my eastern front and iwo jima) or yours Siege, what present something new, but i must say that visualy these D-Day map looks like Siege, because design is same like Siege, but these only my opinion, and if people agree with these, then ok.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:12 pm

mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:i think i've stated my point pretty clearly whether you want to do it my way or your way it's entirely up to you. so i won't bother you anymore on this issue.

It baffles me how you have a problem with the same style on both of my maps, when 80% of the maps on the site are essentially expansion packs of the Classic map.

no. you don't understand. i don't have a problem with the style on both maps.
i like siege, is great. but i want this one to have a different style. for the reasons i stated in previous posts.

and yes lots of maps are variations from classic and i already told you i'm not a fan of the classic recipe: take real country, draw borders, add texture, put bonuses and quench.

i like innovative maps weather it's the them the gameplay or the bonus system. i like both your maps it's just that they are too similar for my taste. probably siege will get quenched when lack returns from his vacation. i will play it a lot. then after some time d-day will get quenched. i won't play it because it's too much like siege. the only reason that would make me play it would be the new xml upgrades.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 pm

your joking right mibi....Go and watch the film saving private ryan...Thats what u must try and create...

The bunkers are either on cliffs or onthe tops of the sand dunes not stuck in a field which has no stragetic importance...

U cant call this map D-Day if you choose to take the direction your taking with it!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:07 pm

hulmey wrote:your joking right mibi....Go and watch the film saving private ryan...Thats what u must try and create...

The bunkers are either on cliffs or onthe tops of the sand dunes not stuck in a field which has no stragetic importance...

U cant call this map D-Day if you choose to take the direction your taking with it!!!

i agree. if this was the setup of the land on D-day, the defence would have been conquered immediately with few losses.

PS: better call this one "siege the beach" :wink:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:11 pm

DiM wrote:
hulmey wrote:your joking right mibi....Go and watch the film saving private ryan...Thats what u must try and create...

i agree. if this was the setup of the land on D-day, the defence would have been conquered immediately with few losses.

PS: better call this one "siege the beach" :wink:

yeah i suppose the pill boxes should be moved up to be able to attack the inland beach areas. this would be more accurate, but wouldnt it make the beaches extremely hard to take?
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 pm

Coleman wrote:Also, and everyone is probably going to hate this... I'd almost rather this map was called Beach Attack or Invasion and all the historical references to D-Day removed for a few reasons:

1) Staying historically accurate limits creative license.
2) Another group has a d-day map in development that is probably more historically based.
3) It would cut down on a lot of the history related bickering.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:32 pm

Coleman wrote:
Coleman wrote:Also, and everyone is probably going to hate this... I'd almost rather this map was called Beach Attack or Invasion and all the historical references to D-Day removed for a few reasons:

1) Staying historically accurate limits creative license.
2) Another group has a d-day map in development that is probably more historically based.
3) It would cut down on a lot of the history related bickering.

yeah I hear you, but I would rather not to that unless I had to, the historical aspect does add a lot of value especially on situational maps like this one. but if it comes to that, i could call it Beach Invasion! or something.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:37 pm

ok i moved one pill box up to the beach to make it even more of a killing zone. If i brought the other two up i think it would give the defenders too much of an advantage. keep in mind 12 of the 18 beach areas can be attacked from the turrets and 8 of the 9 inland beach areas have an enemy border.

thoughts?

oh and behind the center pill box is empty for now until i figure out what to do with that area.

Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:52 pm

I'm just popping in quick while I've got sometime. I've been looking forward to a few 'battle-esque' maps for sometime now, and this could certainly be promising. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby hulmey on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:00 am

mibi, this is very rough but it looks much better...The machine guns can be attacked from the side as wwould happen in real life...

Lieutenant hulmey

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 am

hulmey wrote:mibi, this is very rough but it looks much better...The machine guns can be attacked from the side as wwould happen in real life...

and then the heavy guns would go behind in the corners? i can do what you have there, but wouldnt the defender be too powerful, it seems the beaches would be enitre unholdable at that point. maybe the bonues can adjust ... i dunno...
Captain mibi

Postby hulmey on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:48 am

well people arent going to start with the bunkers straight away!!!!

Also you could allow the destroyers to attack the bunkers!!!!
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:28 pm

hulmey wrote:well people arent going to start with the bunkers straight away!!!!

Also you could allow the destroyers to attack the bunkers!!!!

destroys cant attack the bunker because then people wouldn't need to go through the beach.. just fortify through a destroyer.
Captain mibi

Postby Gozar on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Just lower the bonuses on the flats to keep the defence from being too strong. Or raise the ones on the beach.
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby hulmey on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:44 pm

but they have to get the destroyer in the first place...Theres 3 bunkers not one....

It also depends on how many bonuses you will give to destroyer!!

Can destroyers attack one another? There are many questions left unanswered and its better you sort out the gameplay and then everyone can have their say.

I do suggest that the bunkers you leave them near the sand...
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Molacole on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:49 pm

everytime I see maps like this I get excited and then I'm told the XML wont work for the ideas I have, but idc and I'll keep hoping for the same thing time and time again!

any chance we could see the bunkers or pill boxes attack the battle ships and vice versa with 1 way forts or something like that? I know that's a problem so would there be any way to attack that area and only allow immediate fortification through troop advancement after winning a dice roll? Is that even possible with xml?

I just want to see maps where ranged attacks are possible and not turned into attack routes. Something like being able to attack 3 fields away, but not 1 or 2 feilds close. Even better would be being able to attack, but not advance and only being able to fort it with troops adjacent to that territory. That's what these types of map truely need imo...
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm

hulmey wrote:Can destroyers attack one another? There are many questions left unanswered and its better you sort out the gameplay and then everyone can have their say.

uh yeah.. thats why there are dotted lines connecting the ships
Captain mibi

Postby dominationnation on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:06 pm

there are going to be a lot of interesting things that we can do with this map once the xml changes are made. Im looking foward to seeing this as the first map with plenty of new things
Cook dominationnation

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Molacole wrote:any chance we could see the bunkers or pill boxes attack the battle ships and vice versa with 1 way forts or something like that? .

that doesnt make much sense... the battleships kept largely out of range of the coastal defenses and mainly were attacked via the air.
Captain mibi

Postby Molacole on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:23 pm

mibi wrote:
Molacole wrote:any chance we could see the bunkers or pill boxes attack the battle ships and vice versa with 1 way forts or something like that? .

that doesnt make much sense... the battleships kept largely out of range of the coastal defenses and mainly were attacked via the air.

The way the navy works is to bombard the landing zone from the sea and then send in waves of troops to control the beach. That's just how it's done when the navy gets involved. Omaha beach didn't really play out to exactly what I was mentioning, but to make it play out the same way the war did you would have to give anyone located in the ships or on the beach a huge disadvantage otherwise it will portray the battle as poorly as having the option to attack from the battleships.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:56 pm

Molacole wrote:
mibi wrote:

The way the navy works is to bombard the landing zone from the sea and then send in waves of troops to control the beach. That's just how it's done when the navy gets involved. Omaha beach didn't really play out to exactly what I was mentioning, but to make it play out the same way the war did you would have to give anyone located in the ships or on the beach a huge disadvantage otherwise it will portray the battle as poorly as having the option to attack from the battleships.

well bombardment of the German defenses was largely ineffective anyways as the germans were too dug in. and during the assault both the plains and the battleships over shot the beach in their bombardment worrying that they might hit their own soldiers, so they killed a lot of norman cows, but few germans.

if attack but not conquer moved were available it might be an option, but no use wating around for that to happen.
Captain mibi

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:35 pm

i like this map idea...makes me think of saving private ryan....great movie
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas