Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 8:14 am

Coleman wrote:We were play testing but everyone got tired and quit. Anyway I think we were doing something wrong. Can East German Division 4 attack West German Division 4, 8, Central German Division 6, and East German Division 6 or is it just East German Division 6?

We were doing the former...

Also, trying to take the turrets first doesn't seem to work, because everyone hates you when you do that. :lol:

I'm keeping track of how things look before each round via power point, I'll upload it when we finish sometime later today.

Oh, and it is my Birthday Today. I'm officially 20 as of roughly 2 hours ago. :roll:

The trenches are linear, you cant warp to other trenches so east german 4 can attack east german 6, east german 6 can attack central german 6.

Why do people hate when you take the turrets (batteries)? too powerful? i should also mention that the trees that separate the divisions are passable. they are just graphic borders.

and happy birthday! i've been savign a beer for the occasion, cheers.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 8:18 am

Wisse wrote:i think the turrets don't belong to the map, i don't like the graphics of them
and i think you need to change the font of the numbers that are red

are you saying the batteries dont below from a game play standpoint or a graphical standpoint? and I like the red number font, its small, legible, and german gothic, what more could you want.
Captain mibi

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 am

mibi wrote:
Wisse wrote:i think the turrets don't belong to the map, i don't like the graphics of them

are you saying the batteries dont below from a game play standpoint or a graphical standpoint? and I like the red number font, its small, legible, and german gothic, what more could you want.

graphically

mayby something i can see better at my 1920 x 1200 resolution screen XD
nah make it a little bit bigger and its fine, or keep it as you like if no-one complains
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 9:12 am

Wisse wrote:
mibi wrote:

graphically

nah make it a little bit bigger and its fine, or keep it as you like if no-one complains

ok its a little bit bigger, as well as have some extension inside the battery so its obvious that only battery 3 can attack using the big gun. also added a small ammo box.

Captain mibi

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am

mibi wrote:
Wisse wrote:
mibi wrote:

graphically

ok its a little bit bigger, as well as have some extension inside the battery so its obvious that only battery 3 can attack using the big gun. also added a small ammo box.

size is good :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Coleman on Wed May 02, 2007 10:19 am

mibi wrote:
Coleman wrote:I think you are still going to have a tough fight ahead of you over the bonus arguments. People don't like directed game play, they think that what a place may be 'worth' is what it should give. I disagree and it makes me wonder how Alexander's Empire made it without giving the seas a bonus. I think the Division bonus is the incredibly easy to defend 18 territories, and I'll love winning against people who doubt it.

I actually quite like the map exactly as it is right now, unless you have some graphical updates planned. I feel that quenching this map would be a good step in the right direction for the rights of the map author to create their own visions. I look forward to play testing this soon.

EDIT: One complaint for when you have me doing the xml. Centering a lot of those circles is going to be hell. Do you think you could give me a version with numbers pasted in centered? That really helps speed up the centering process.

Are you saying there should be a division bonus or not? And yes i can give you a versio with the army numbers pasted on there... but no two army circles are identicle so centering wont be a big deal i thinks.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby spinwizard on Wed May 02, 2007 10:23 am

WOW, it looks great! how did u make the legend...(sorry if i ask this alot)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 10:24 am

Coleman wrote:
mibi wrote:
Coleman wrote:I think you are still going to have a tough fight ahead of you over the bonus arguments. People don't like directed game play, they think that what a place may be 'worth' is what it should give. I disagree and it makes me wonder how Alexander's Empire made it without giving the seas a bonus. I think the Division bonus is the incredibly easy to defend 18 territories, and I'll love winning against people who doubt it.

I actually quite like the map exactly as it is right now, unless you have some graphical updates planned. I feel that quenching this map would be a good step in the right direction for the rights of the map author to create their own visions. I look forward to play testing this soon.

EDIT: One complaint for when you have me doing the xml. Centering a lot of those circles is going to be hell. Do you think you could give me a version with numbers pasted in centered? That really helps speed up the centering process.

Are you saying there should be a division bonus or not? And yes i can give you a versio with the army numbers pasted on there... but no two army circles are identicle so centering wont be a big deal i thinks.

yeah i couldnt quite make sense of this sentence "I think the Division bonus is the incredibly easy to defend 18 territories, and I'll love winning against people who doubt it. "
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Wed May 02, 2007 11:43 am

mibi wrote:
Coleman wrote:
mibi wrote:

yeah i couldnt quite make sense of this sentence "I think the Division bonus is the incredibly easy to defend 18 territories, and I'll love winning against people who doubt it. "

If you own all the division territories (of which there are 24, which is what I should have said) you will probably also have the bunkers and the batteries which makes the divisions really easy to hold.

I finished my game, not sure how useful this will be:
http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/D-Day.ppt

I was pink. I made the colors go along with the way CC does things, I was really my metallic silver guys, but that isn't important.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Coleman wrote:
If you own all the division territories (of which there are 24, which is what I should have said) you will probably also have the bunkers and the batteries which makes the divisions really easy to hold.

I finished my game, not sure how useful this will be:
http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/D-Day.ppt

I was pink. I made the colors go along with the way CC does things, I was really my metallic silver guys, but that isn't important.

wow that ppt was really helpful! .. seriously.. thanks for effort you put into that. It appears that players were warping from trench to trench, instead of following the line.. is this correct? also I was surprised at how easily you were able to take and hold the beach from the get go. you had a good start three for sure, but im surprised they let you get away with it. also it was silly for teal not to take his ships back, the +7 is the highest in the game for that. It also seems people didnt man battery 3 at all.. just the out side trench. you guys knew you could attack through the blasted out walls right?

im not sure i would make any changes based on your game but you know what happened better than I, so what are your thoughts?

thanks coleman, you are taking play testing to a new level!
Captain mibi

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed May 02, 2007 2:54 pm

it's a picky little point really, but if this is a beach on the Normandy coast then North is down, and therefore, east & west divisions are the wrong way round!
great looking map
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 3:17 pm

spinwizard wrote:WOW, it looks great! how did u make the legend...(sorry if i ask this alot)

the base is a stone type texture. the flags are off wikipedia with some subtle shadows brushed on. flags have a drop shadow layer effect. splatter brushes were used to dirty the flags. all this goes under a solid black layer at 64% opacity. all text goes on top of that. splatter bushes use to dirty the title.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 3:19 pm

fluffybunnykins wrote:it's a picky little point really, but if this is a beach on the Normandy coast then North is down, and therefore, east & west divisions are the wrong way round!
great looking map

yeah this was brought up early on. I could flip the map but it would give the whole thing a different feel. I could also just flip the compass and west would be east, but this might also be confusing. if more people bring it up i can post an image of the map flipped and people can vote on it.
Captain mibi

Postby edbeard on Wed May 02, 2007 3:30 pm

shouldn't the legend say

-1 plane and its parachute

I realize it doesn't fit, but isn't that what you mean?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Coleman on Wed May 02, 2007 4:06 pm

I'll do it again, we were warping a bit which wasn't correct and changed a lot of things. I don't recall anyone attacking through the blasted out walls but I think everyone knew they could. The batteries were used to attack a lot actually, I couldn't show every move but my beach was taken repetatively by blue when he was still alive, but my rolls were good enough that I could take them back in my own turn.

As far as changes I thought it was too easy to get both turrets, but now that I know the way the line is supposed to work that shouldn't be happening anymore. I'll have to have another game before I know for sure. The person I had playing green doesn't want to play again so I might not get another 6 person game. I'll have to see how things go. Everyone was really cool about me entering stuff in after every round, so that helped.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Vote in the poll.

1. Original. Incorrect historical polarity.

2.Vertically flipped. Correct historical polarity, North is up.

3. Horizontally flipped. Correct historical polarity. North is down. (East/west references reversed)

Omaha Beach map, correct historical polarity, north is up.
Last edited by mibi on Thu May 03, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Captain mibi

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm

i don't see any difference in 1 and 3
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby mibi on Wed May 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Wisse wrote:i don't see any difference in 1 and 3

east and west test are reversed.
Captain mibi

Postby RobinJ on Wed May 02, 2007 4:44 pm

^The East and West divisions have been reversed to make it more accurate.

Edit: damn - fastposted

Personally, I hate the 2nd option - makes me feel like one of the bad guys. Chose 3rd for historical accuracy but just don't use the second 1!
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby Guiscard on Wed May 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Option 3 is by far the best.

Just wanted to complement you on really top noth graphics again here Mibi.

Also, you've spelt closest wrong in a couple of places :D
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Wisse on Wed May 02, 2007 4:52 pm

i voted 2
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby sully800 on Wed May 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Well, I've missed out on this map until right now, but I must say I am quite impressed again mibi. Top notch design for sure.

I prefer version 2, though some things about it would need to be fixed if you actually chose that layout. Since it was originally designed from the other perspective and then flipped, some of the shadows/effects seem off. Anyway, they all look good, but I think it should at least change to version 2 or 3. Between the two it doesn't really matter (I don't feel that I'm the Germans in version 2, I would feel a part of which ever group my armies lie in- same argument I made in Siege! Then again, I've always said that North doesn't need to be directed upward, as long as its indicated properly on the map, so either version works for me).
Major sully800

Postby Wisse on Thu May 03, 2007 2:40 am

you say "+7 for each ship" but much people forget the tiny ships then
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Coleman on Thu May 03, 2007 7:02 am

Wisse wrote:you say "+7 for each ship" but much people forget the tiny ships then

... I think you messed up what you were trying to say, that doesn't make any sense.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Wisse on Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 am

Coleman wrote:
Wisse wrote:you say "+7 for each ship" but much people forget the tiny ships then

... I think you messed up what you were trying to say, that doesn't make any sense.

i meant much people would not mind the tiny ships they would think that they only need the big ships for the bonus
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas