Conquer Club

Feudal War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby snufkin on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:42 pm

If you go for the mercenary tents then I think they should be round or octagonal or something more romanesque.. though the palisades suggested also sound good.

rest of the map looks great!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:55 am

to make a palisade i get a brown circle, then make one side lighter, and the other a bit darker, then copy and paste it to make a circle,
example shown below:
this was done using a brown cross, then using gimp i burnt the bottom pixel and the bottom right pixel, then dodged the top pixel and the top left one, then added yellow to the middle to make it look like the wood had bu cut to make a spike.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby gimil on Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:00 am

can u explain that a little better it steps please i got lost reading what you wrote.

thanks.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:11 am

Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 am

thanks yeti_c some of these ideas look good.

right now ive settled for making the legends thinknig up terr naems and identifing where everything goes so i can get this map into th emain foundry

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 pm

here is a step by step for my wooden walls, but it is created for gimp, you might still be able to use it though, i put images in to help.

feel free to ask questions, if it does not make sense.

I think you should have people around, would it be hard to make it a gif, and have them moving round the villages.

if i have time i might see if i can create a example.

Postby gimil on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:20 pm

sounds good ill get onto that tonight and have an update ready for tommorow

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 am

UPDATES:
-Added terr no.
-begun merc camp
-added legends
-Reduced the size of the villages slightly

TO-DO LIST:
-finish merc camp
-Add castles
-Add gold mine
-Increase the quality and complete of the legends
-Tweek some boarders so there more visable

Each terr has a number. For teh purpose of identifing the terrs there will be a scaled down map put into the legends which will have names of sections of land that relate to teh numbers.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:15 am

I like it.

how much more work are you planning to do on the camp, because the palisade does not look too good.

I think you should make the villages bigger, maybe either make the buildings bigger, or add more buildings to the villages.

Maybe add more roads and paths around the map, maybe add some fields and stuff around the villages.

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:57 am

Telvannia wrote:
how much more work are you planning to do on the camp, because the palisade does not look too good.

The camp still needs alot of work. It seem whenever i transfer the map from ma laptop to my desktop the quality chages which has resulted in the wooded post not lookign so good.

Telvannia wrote:I think you should make the villages bigger, maybe either make the buildings bigger, or add more buildings to the villages.

The vilages were made smaller becasue i want teh castle to look hugh in comparison

Telvannia wrote:Maybe add more roads and paths around the map, maybe add some fields and stuff around the villages.

Roads will be put in once i do the castles and i paln on doing extra scenery at some point.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:11 am

Telvannia wrote:

I prefer it to yours... (No offense) I like it a shade darker...

But I agree - it could do with some tweaking...

Otherwise - the Map is coming along a treat.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 am

Naming...

I think each Castle should have a proper name...
i.e.

Castle Indomitable
Castle Fearless

Or similar...

Villages need some nice names from the countryside... Stick a pin in a map of the UK...

The area surrounding each village could be it's "parish"...

Northern plains around the Mine?

I'm a bit worried about your river crossings bringing 2 castles too close to each other...

Should the left castle be swapped with the left village?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:51 am

the river crossing are going on

the very east end of the board
the very north part of the river
and ones going to the south of the island

thast where i intented to put them to begin with so i built the gameplay with them in mind. no 2 castls will be to close

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Not intending to stir any trouble, but is there actually any interest in this map? There's only seems to be about 3 or 4 people following the thread.

With the dimensions of the current map, I'm guessing this is the large version. I'm wondering how this is going to work at all for a small version considering the small and cramped nature of the map already.

One last little thing... I can't determine any continent names. As an example, how am I supposed to know the difference between all the "1" named territories?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 pm

yeti_c wrote: the Map is coming along a treat.

It hasnt made that much progress yet, just small bits of graphics. I think that more people would like it if you put the map with all of the graphics (castle, mine, w/e) then let people critique it.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:13 am

KEYOGI wrote:Not intending to stir any trouble, but is there actually any interest in this map? There's only seems to be about 3 or 4 people following the thread.

come on chaps let ave a riot, we can firebomb other map ideas with spam.
then when we are blocked from the forum we become martyrs.
whos with me?

dont all shout at once! :lol:

but back to being serious, many maps have had little support to begin with then gained support as they got further on. So i think gimil continues this map and maybe other people will take a interest.

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:34 am

yep keyogi i agree with telvannia. this map does seem to have few supporters but frankly i think it's because of the stage of development. only in the last update we saw the continents and the bonuses and the important details. i'm sure more and more will come after the gameplay debates start.

also please look at the carribean islands map. it had only ~110 replies when it was quenched. so it seemed there's not much interest and yet it's quenched ad doing good.

or AoM map. there were times when i posted updates by myself with absolutely no feedback. and yet the map is the most played of the 5 newly quenched.

so don't stomp this thread and please move it to the main forum.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:59 am

the reason its not getting much support is because the forum has slowed down since the introdction of the sub forums. i can go offline for 15 hours at a time and come back and 2 threads have been commented in the ideas forum.

KEYOGI i can understand your concerns but, no offence, you havent been around to see how little activity there is. My htread is acctually one of teh more active in the forum.

as for the rest of teh graphics i havent found a floor plan of for 5 other castles. and im not sure how to go about the gold mine.

i just put what i could in to get this moved to where it will get more feedback.

the only other threads with 7 pages are DiMs other 2 ideas

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby hatterson on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:21 pm

This may have been covered earlier, I just didn't feel like looking through the whole thread.

How do you get across the rivers? Are there going to be bridges? or maybe areas to ford?
Sergeant 1st Class hatterson

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:54 pm

hatterson wrote:This may have been covered earlier, I just didn't feel like looking through the whole thread.

How do you get across the rivers? Are there going to be bridges? or maybe areas to ford?

the are plans to add bridges:

gimil wrote:the river crossing are going on

the very east end of the board
the very north part of the river
and ones going to the south of the island

thast where i intented to put them to begin with so i built the gameplay with them in mind. no 2 castls will be to close

Extra thoughts:
gimil wrote:as for the rest of teh graphics i havent found a floor plan of for 5 other castles. and im not sure how to go about the gold mine.

Im sure if you google castle plans, you will come up with one or two.

Also for the gold mine, you maybe able to get inspiration from images from google.

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:30 pm

here's 2 gold mines to give you an idea. i know they look like crap but i did them in 2 minutes. it actually took longer to upload them and post here :lol:

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:57 pm

The second is nicer
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:37 pm

DiM how did u get that texture? its gave me an idea.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:52 pm

which texture?
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm

gimil wrote:the reason its not getting much support is because the forum has slowed down since the introdction of the sub forums. i can go offline for 15 hours at a time and come back and 2 threads have been commented in the ideas forum.

KEYOGI i can understand your concerns but, no offence, you havent been around to see how little activity there is. My htread is acctually one of teh more active in the forum.

Firstly, I think the fact the map has been in the ideas forum has little to do with it. mibi's SUPERMAX map has had little activity since being moved to the main forum, if anything it's had less input from the community.

Secondly, despite my short absence, I still had a look over the previous pages of the thread. Besides yourself and yeti_c who are making the map you have only DiM and Telvannia providing feedback. JupitersKing had some input early on but hasn't been back since.

On topic: my previous questions were not answered. Also, let me get this straight... the only territories that do not start neutral are the castle territories which will be assigned to players? While an interesting idea, I think gameplay would be horrendous.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas