Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 pm

south east Island
Colonel tim02

Postby Coleman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm

If you get what you have on the bottom of Pg 7 done to the whole map with names can we play? :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 pm

it still have alot of work needed althought it's really good
Colonel tim02

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 pm

and in the sig i want a little more than

"special thanks: Gimil"

After all the trilogy was my idea :wink:
I did develop the layout of feudal :wink:

oh and can someone give the original feudal thread a bit of attention? thanks :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:37 pm

tim02 wrote:then what the heck is the thing that looks like a trebuchet

actually i think it looks more like a siege tower :lol:

(it is meant to be a castle, and it is on the south island. the island is not at all east)
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby tim02 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:54 pm

:shock: big deference
Colonel tim02

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Coleman wrote:If you get what you have on the bottom of Pg 7 done to the whole map with names can we play? :lol:

talk to andy to quench it and we'll play :P
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:15 pm

gimil wrote:and in the sig i want a little more than

"special thanks: Gimil"

After all the trilogy was my idea :wink:
I did develop the layout of feudal :wink:

oh and can someone give the original feudal thread a bit of attention? thanks :wink:

tell me what you want on it and i'll put it. :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:16 am

DiM wrote:here's another update. i've made some border modifications to balance the gameplay.

i've also added some army circles.

DiM...hi...i haven't read the thread, so please forgive if i am going over ground that is covered by others....i think this is your latest update....is it not?

just some obvservations...
* the border on the legend is thicker on the right and bottom than the top and left, is this some effect?
* the text on this large map is legible for me, but how will it be on the small version, if I am thinking this is the large verion?
* the army shields - does this map fit into the era of heraldry, i don't know so I am asking?
* the roads appear a bit softer in this map, although some of them still conflict with tert borders, are u planning to alter this conflict?
Apart from that, I haven't expressed before but I luv the glassiness of the water, i think it's fully sick! :wink: :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:58 am

cairnswk wrote:DiM...hi...i haven't read the thread, so please forgive if i am going over ground that is covered by others....i think this is your latest update....is it not?

* the border on the legend is thicker on the right and bottom than the top and left, is this some effect?
* the text on this large map is legible for me, but how will it be on the small version, if I am thinking this is the large verion?
* the army shields - does this map fit into the era of heraldry, i don't know so I am asking?
* the roads appear a bit softer in this map, although some of them still conflict with tert borders, are u planning to alter this conflict?
Apart from that, I haven't expressed before but I luv the glassiness of the water, i think it's fully sick! :wink: :)

yep that's the latest update.
1. hmm never notice the legend thing. it has the same effect all around so it should be equal but after further analyzing i realized it's because of the global lighting. in one place it's shade and in one it's highlight and that's why it appears thicker and thiner. the only thing i can do is remove the shade i guess.
2. for now i'm afraid to think of the small version and all the problems it will bring. i'll tackle those later.
3. army shields. yep it's a battle between medieval feuds. the army circles will change according to the story.
4. what exactly is the problem with the roads? do they make the borders hard to see? the borders are red with a creamy glow especially to make them stand out from the rest and be clear.

i'm gald you like the water. i also like it. i think it's my best water so far.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:44 am

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:DiM...hi...i haven't read the thread, so please forgive if i am going over ground that is covered by others....i think this is your latest update....is it not?

1. hmm never notice the legend thing. it has the same effect all around so it should be equal but after further analyzing i realized it's because of the global lighting. in one place it's shade and in one it's highlight and that's why it appears thicker and thiner. the only thing i can do is remove the shade i guess.
2. for now i'm afraid to think of the small version and all the problems it will bring. i'll tackle those later.
3. army shields. yep it's a battle between medieval feuds. the army circles will change according to the story.
4. what exactly is the problem with the roads? do they make the borders hard to see? the borders are red with a creamy glow especially to make them stand out from the rest and be clear.

yep, really luv the water, in fact the whole map is looking kewl....except for the roads near the cornfield conflicting with the borders there.
DiM, it just seems the lines criss-crossing everywhere...for me its an overkill of lines. is it possible to experiment with colours of borders and road colours so that the borders standout above the roads, if this is your intention (as i understand it)....don't mean to be offensive, but just saying what i see. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:39 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

yep, really luv the water, in fact the whole map is looking kewl....except for the roads near the cornfield conflicting with the borders there.
DiM, it just seems the lines criss-crossing everywhere...for me its an overkill of lines. is it possible to experiment with colours of borders and road colours so that the borders standout above the roads, if this is your intention (as i understand it)....don't mean to be offensive, but just saying what i see. :)

i'll see what i can do. maybe tone the roads down a bit. thanks for the input.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 am

here's V8.

done:
1. lighter and dustier roads. they look less intrusive now and yet they are visible. i hope they fit well.
2. modified the light on the legend to make the sides equal.
3. added the temple bonus to the legend

to do.
1. modify the resource images in the legend to correspond to the new buildings
2. add army shields everywhere
3. add names to all the important places and try to squeeze them in other terits.

V8
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 am

Maybe you could add archers in the castles for ranged attacks or something.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am

Kaplowitz wrote:Maybe you could add archers in the castles for ranged attacks or something.

the problem with that is you need to mark on the map how far they can bombard and its difficult to find a way to do this.

I tried this with the other feudal and it didnt mix to well.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:40 am

gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Maybe you could add archers in the castles for ranged attacks or something.

the problem with that is you need to mark on the map how far they can bombard and its difficult to find a way to do this.

I tried this with the other feudal and it didnt mix to well.

maybe on the key

"[picture of arrow] can attack [picture of X]." The X will be on the map somewhere. and you could color code it. Blue arrow to blue X. idk, just a thought.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:42 am

there will be range attacks but not in this chapter.
wait for chapter 2. :roll:

btw. main foundry? :roll:
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:35 pm

DiM wrote:btw. main foundry? :roll:

AndyDufresne wrote:The idea of a trilogy is interesting, but before getting head first into it all, I suggest getting at least one map done, and testing the waters with that. Working on more than one seems counter, in my eyes. So I'd focus your efforts on the other Feudal Wars map.

--Andy
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gimil on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:03 am

KEYOGI wrote:

AndyDufresne wrote:The idea of a trilogy is interesting, but before getting head first into it all, I suggest getting at least one map done, and testing the waters with that. Working on more than one seems counter, in my eyes. So I'd focus your efforts on the other Feudal Wars map.

--Andy

it was also elaborated that the other feudal map WASN'T part of the trilogy.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28 am

gimil wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:

--Andy

it was also elaborated that the other feudal map WASN'T part of the trilogy.

yeah. agree with keyogi. i really don't see why this map should wait for the other feudal map to be quenched before it can be moved to the main. they have nothing in common except the theme. they are 2 different projects.
when i start making chapter 2 you'll tell me to wait until this one is quenched before moving to the foundry? same with chapter 3?
at this rate all 3 chapters will probably be available for play next year.

i'm actually planning to release chapter 2 sometime this week depending on my free time, and chapter 3 close after. i'd like all 3 maps to be quenched at roughly the same time for the best possible gaming experience.

so as long as this project meets the requirements of moving to the main foundry i really don't see your point keyogi.
borders number of terits graphics gameplay theme. everything is there :roll:
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:51 am

gimil wrote:it was also elaborated that the other feudal map WASN'T part of the trilogy.

KEYOGI wrote:Yes, the original is not part of the triology, but it's all one and the same. It's like The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. :wink:

I'm not arguing a point in one way or another. There is a series of four Feudal Wars maps planned, the last three of them a trilogy. The example I provided sums it up really.

So the aim is to create four maps simultaneously and release them close together? Even when the original shows a major lack of interest?

Again, I'm not trying to prove a point or make an argument, just getting the facts straight. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:40 am

KEYOGI wrote:
gimil wrote:it was also elaborated that the other feudal map WASN'T part of the trilogy.

KEYOGI wrote:Yes, the original is not part of the triology, but it's all one and the same. It's like The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. :wink:

I'm not arguing a point in one way or another. There is a series of four Feudal Wars maps planned, the last three of them a trilogy. The example I provided sums it up really.

So the aim is to create four maps simultaneously and release them close together? Even when the original shows a major lack of interest?

Again, I'm not trying to prove a point or make an argument, just getting the facts straight. :wink:

here are the facts. gimil started feudal wars. i helped. then we decided to do a trilogy totally unrelated to the original. this trilogy is one project and the other map is a separate project. i don't want all four maps to be quenched simultaneously i just want the three maps of the trilogy to be quenched shortly one after another.

if feudal wars classic is successful or not if it gets quenched or not it has no influence on the trilogy. and this goes both ways. as i said numerous times before. the 2 projects have just the theme in common. classic does not require the trilogy to be quenched it can be played as a standalone map and the trilogy does not require classic.
if you are a since fiction fan and in particular an asimov fan let me illustrate using his books.

there's the Foundation series and there's the book I,Robot. you can read I,Robot without bothering to read the foundation and vice versa. and yet they are related by the 3 laws of robotics. reading all of them makes for a more pleasurable experience but it's not necessary.

i hope this helps you get the facts right and move this to main foundry :wink:
Major DiM

Postby Teya on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 am

I think size should be considered before any map leaves the ideas sub-forum. There are VERY clear guidelines on size but people ignore them. If their map wont be moved until it fits with the guidelines, it might stop people ignoring those guidelines.

DiM, the size of maps is something you ignore on a regular basis. You knew exactly what size your maximum should be but you still havent fixed it.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:33 am

Teya wrote:I think size should be considered before any map leaves the ideas sub-forum. There are VERY clear guidelines on size but people ignore them. If their map wont be moved until it fits with the guidelines, it might stop people ignoring those guidelines.

DiM, the size of maps is something you ignore on a regular basis. You knew exactly what size your maximum should be but you still havent fixed it.

i love you too teya. you're just like christmas for me. :roll:

here's what andy said:

The Map Ideas forum will be place where all new map ideas, new maps, and REVAMPS start. A map will start in this ‘Heating’ phase. When map production starts we will be looking for a few things:

a. the map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go. Most of the time, this is pretty self-explanatory for basic maps, but as we are stepping into realms all the time in the Foundry with more and more complicated maps, it’s best to find a plan and make it work early, rather than trying to find one mid-way through production.

b. the map must have a working image (either of the small or large map). This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state. I.E. the working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image. We’d like to see at least two graphical updates while the map spends it’s time in this early stage of the Map Ideas forum. And from the ‘How to Make a Map Thread’ the image must follow these guidelines:

Quote:
Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field).

A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful.

Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. In the event that no response is given by the Copyright holders, the map can still be made, but must consist of completely original artwork.

Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions (eventually) of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

c. the map (or the post) must also include a few basic things for easy reference such as: number of countries currently on the map, the number of continents, descriptions of any unique features or areas, and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

d. the map must have some honest and interested discussion. If no one seems to support your idea or it lacks much appeal, it most likely won’t make it to the next stage.

Once a map has met these early guidelines it will be moved out of ‘Heating’ stage into the next and main stage of development into the Foundry.

i've read that a few times and i could not find a single requirement this map does not meet so it 100% deserves to be moved to main foundry.

as for your concern teya i really don't see any problem with the current size. for all that i know i can make it 4000*4000px as long as it will be resized later. i like to see perfectly on a large map. i originally started this map on a 4000*4000 px because that's how i like it and if it hadn't been for a few problems believe me i would have kept that size through the foundry process until the later stages when i would have resized it properly.

second, there's nothing in the rules saying map size in the ideas forum is a criteria for moving to main. making rules on the spot is not your job.

third. what do you mean on a regular basis? i have just one quenched map. that's not regular basis to me

i already stated size will be discussed at a later stage. :roll:
Major DiM

Postby Spockers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:18 am

HI DIM

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR BEACHES??? THEY LOOK LIKE HAY-STACKS.

AND YOUR MOUNTAINS LOOK LIKE KRYPTONITE. THEY DONT REALLY FIT IN AT ALL

GOODBYE
Private 1st Class Spockers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas