Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby Teya on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:22 am

DiM, can you explain to me how working on a bigger map than is allowed is good?
What is the point of putting army shadows on a map if you are just going to have to reduce your map and potentially re-work territories?

making rules on the spot is not your job.

I never said it was my job, and it was a suggestion aimed at the appropriate people.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:52 am

Teya wrote:DiM, can you explain to me how working on a bigger map than is allowed is good?
What is the point of putting army shadows on a map if you are just going to have to reduce your map and potentially re-work territories?

making rules on the spot is not your job.

I never said it was my job, and it was a suggestion aimed at the appropriate people.

suggestions are made using the suggestion form in the appropriate forum not in this thread. :wink:

and yes it is better to work on a big map because this way i can fit better the image in photoshop without having to zoom. i really don't see why adding army shadows has anything to do with the size :wink: i can resize everything except for the shadows and then move them around as i please. in fact i could even write the xml with the coordinates fit for this size and then resize everything and redo the xml. if this is my will then i don't understand how it bothers you? has this map been quenched with an inappropriate size and i wasn't aware? it hasn't even left the ideas forum so i really don't see your struggle :roll:
i say it again. when the time comes a resize will be done. but not now.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:55 am

yeah i already told DIm about the kyprtonite and so have others...Good work on your map so far it is FANTASTIC 8)

Concerning the agrument about how big the map is!!! I remember that MIBI's greek god map was massive.

Im all for having bigger maps. If you dont want to play on it thats your choice but lets cater fot the people who do want to play onthis typr pf map and also enjoy the stunning graphics which you can get on the smaller maps!!!

Whos with me say Aye
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:55 am

Spockers wrote:HI DIM

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR BEACHES??? THEY LOOK LIKE HAY-STACKS.

AND YOUR MOUNTAINS LOOK LIKE KRYPTONITE. THEY DONT REALLY FIT IN AT ALL

GOODBYE

no need to abuse the caps lock i can read even if you write in small caps :roll:

mountain issue has been raised before and has been dealt with a few times. if they still look bad tell me what exactly you want changed. saying they look like cryptonite isn't very helpful in identifying what exactly you don't like.

as for the beaches nobody has complained besides you so i'm gonna leave them like that if nobody else has any complaints.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:56 am

Nay. Anyhow... I think the Map Ideas forum has caused more confusion then it's helped. People are treating everything here like it's near final forge. Nothing in this forum should be anywhere near done. At least that's my understanding.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 am

DiM wrote:
Spockers wrote:YOUR MOUNTAINS LOOK LIKE KRYPTONITE. THEY DONT REALLY FIT IN AT ALL

saying they look like cryptonite isn't very helpful in identifying what exactly you don't like.

I think he means that they are green and crystal looking. Versus brown and more like Mountains he's seen.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:09 am

hulmey wrote:yeah i already told DIm about the kyprtonite and so have others...Good work on your map so far it is FANTASTIC 8)

Concerning the agrument about how big the map is!!! I remember that MIBI's greek god map was massive.

Im all for having bigger maps. If you dont want to play on it thats your choice but lets cater fot the people who do want to play onthis typr pf map and also enjoy the stunning graphics which you can get on the smaller maps!!!

Whos with me say Aye

Aye :roll:
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:12 am

Coleman wrote:Nay.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:12 am

Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:
Spockers wrote:YOUR MOUNTAINS LOOK LIKE KRYPTONITE. THEY DONT REALLY FIT IN AT ALL

saying they look like cryptonite isn't very helpful in identifying what exactly you don't like.

I think he means that they are green and crystal looking. Versus brown and more like Mountains he's seen.

well all the mountains in my country are green. it's called vegetation.
so the green stays. but i'll try to make them less crystal looking even though i don't quite understand what you guys mean by that.

here's a sample of the green in the mountains from my country lot's of green (vegetation) at the bottom with increasing gray (bare cliffs) towards the top and white at the very top (snow)

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 am

Coleman wrote:Nay. Anyhow... I think the Map Ideas forum has caused more confusion then it's helped. People are treating everything here like it's near final forge. Nothing in this forum should be anywhere near done. At least that's my understanding.

i've already said this a few times. at the moment some maps stay in the ideas thread until they are 70-80% done which is wrong. this map as you see it now is surely more than 80% done if you take into consideration graphics and gameplay.
it will probably suffer minor tweaks in the main foundry where the xml will also be produced. that's not how things should evolve. most of the work should be done in the main foundry not in the ideas forum and the nitpicking process like dealing with a few stray pixels or a shade that's just half of px too big should be done in the final forge.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:30 am

let's compare this map to the most recent idea that got moved to the main forum WWII WESTERN FRONT

gameplay
the trilogy has a 100% complete gameplay. it has all the terits the borders and bonuses set. of course minor modifications will be done if considered necessary.
western front has terits and borders but no bonuses. so not fully complete.

graphics
both maps look far better than the required quality to get moved to main but still they need to suffer some modifications. it's worth mentioning that western front got moved to main before it had a legend (and a legend is required)

number of updates
exactly 8 updates for each so they both meet the required number of updates.

user interest
both maps have their fans and support as shown by the number of replies. so no problem here.

in conclusion. even though western front doesn't have bonuses and even though it did not have a graphically designed legend it got moved to the main foundry.
on the other hand the trilogy seems to be subject to all kinds of motives to refuse it's movement. why? only keyogi knows. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:48 am

you see in the photo the mountains dont look like kypronite...Superman is that :arrow:

Anway jokes aside. Why is this map still in the map ideas forum????

Over 160 posts and 2400 views says it should be in the other forum :?

This map is surrended by cow poo....
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am

I'd like to learn about the kingdoms on this map and see more territory names. As for what forum that happens in, meh. This whole 3 forum process is still very much a new thing, and I wouldn't expect more from it then I would from a game in beta. I'm sure they'll set and keep some standards on how things move soon enough.

Edit: Also, you might want to rename the topic with where the latest draft is. The first post isn't really up to date. It wasn't hard to find it on 8, but it was a little out of my way.
Sergeant Coleman

Re: Feudal Wars Trilogy - chapter 1: Age of Might - V8 page

Postby firewarrior101 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:54 pm

GOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD idea :D
Warning! Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Cook firewarrior101

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Coleman wrote:I'd like to learn about the kingdoms on this map and see more territory names. As for what forum that happens in, meh. This whole 3 forum process is still very much a new thing, and I wouldn't expect more from it then I would from a game in beta. I'm sure they'll set and keep some standards on how things move soon enough.

Edit: Also, you might want to rename the topic with where the latest draft is. The first post isn't really up to date. It wasn't hard to find it on 8, but it was a little out of my way.

actually the first post is up to date. it has all the versions there. but i've edited the title to show people where to look.
Major DiM

Re: Feudal Wars Trilogy - chapter 1: Age of Might - V8 page

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm

firewarrior101 wrote:GOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD idea :D

i'm glad you like it but please edit your post and remove the images
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:48 pm

DiM wrote:…I already stated size will be discussed at a later stage.

I understand what you are talking about DiM. It is true there are no size restrictions in the ideas thread. However, don't you think people might want to see what you map will look like once it gets smaller? You have TONS of detail and when you shrink all of it down into the small version I don't think people will be able to understand it.

Plus why not save time and develop the map in the context that it will actually be made. Making the map as its small version first will show where there are issues (text, border, etc).

Making a HUGE map that looks good and plays well might make a very bad map when resized.

Why would you want to spend all of that time making a map only to find that once you resize it, it does not work?

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:…I already stated size will be discussed at a later stage.

I understand what you are talking about DiM. It is true there are no size restrictions in the ideas thread. However, don't you think people might want to see what you map will look like once it gets smaller? You have TONS of detail and when you shrink all of it down into the small version I don't think people will be able to understand it.

Plus why not save time and develop the map in the context that it will actually be made. Making the map as its small version first will show where there are issues (text, border, etc).

Making a HUGE map that looks good and plays well might make a very bad map when resized.

Why would you want to spend all of that time making a map only to find that once you resize it, it does not work?

WM

i don't mind spending a little extra time fiddling with rearranging names and army shadows. it's worth doing when i know i have the benefit of working on a proper sized map for my monitor.
Major DiM

Postby Evil Pope on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm

DiM wrote:
Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:

well all the mountains in my country are green. it's called vegetation.
so the green stays. but i'll try to make them less crystal looking even though i don't quite understand what you guys mean by that.

here's a sample of the green in the mountains from my country lot's of green (vegetation) at the bottom with increasing gray (bare cliffs) towards the top and white at the very top (snow)

I think the problem with yours(mountains) is that, while green is acceptable because of vegetation and such, it doesn't really look like vegetation. It looks smooth and crytal-like(No better way to put it). Also, the vegetation wouldn't be as heavily concentrated on just the mountains, patches of stone would make it look a little better. And there should be a bit more around the mountains, comming off the mountains. It wouldn't appear as if it all stops growing as soon as the mountains stop. So too much green on the mountains, very little around them. It looks un-natural.

Otherwise, the map looks good.
Except Castles feel a little too flat. Maybe they could use a little more detail, they don't really fit in with the look of the rest of the map.
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby Spockers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm

DiM wrote:mountain issue has been raised before and has been dealt with a few times. if they still look bad tell me what exactly you want changed. saying they look like cryptonite isn't very helpful in identifying what exactly you don't like.

as for the beaches nobody has complained besides you so i'm gonna leave them like that if nobody else has any complaints.

If you can't spot the difference between crystal and vegetation, then i bring in to question your graphical ability.

Nobody else has complained about your beaches because they have neither my refined eye and attention to detail, nor my high standards. It's just like the emperors new clothes and you know it.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby Teya on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 pm

I have a problem with the beaches. They look too yellow. Beaches arent fluro yellow like yours are. Yours kind of look radioactive.

I also agree that the mountains need work. They dont blend with the rest of your map. The colour of your map is a pale greeny-brown. The colour of your mountains need to blend more with that colour. At least a gradual blend. At the moment, you have such different colours that it looks like they are just slapped on.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:00 pm

How is this? A Mountain and a beach to the east of the mountain.

EDIT:
DiM suggested that I remove the big picture so here is a small version of just the mountain and a link to the thread where I added the PSD file.

If you want to know how I made this, go there. My beach stunk so there is no tutorial on beaches in this current PSD fil. :(
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Teya on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:21 pm

those mountains are alot better. they at least look like mountains.
The beach however isnt great. Not sandy enough.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Spockers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:44 pm

mountains good. beach looks like a smudge on my screen.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby hulmey on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 pm

fantastic mountains...WEll done WM...I agree withe point about the beaches as well....

Also agree about you making a small map so that we can all see it.
Lieutenant hulmey

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas