Conquer Club

Conquer Man [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby tim02 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't think it should be symmetrical for the reason of we have cross-word it was symmetrical and it wasn't the greatest hit so I think that this map has great potential if you change to non-symmetrical.
Colonel tim02

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:47 pm

tim02 wrote:I don't think it should be symmetrical for the reason of we have cross-word it was symmetrical and it wasn't the greatest hit so I think that this map has great potential if you change to non-symmetrical.

It is non-symmetrical
This map has a symmetrical layout but not symmetrical gameplay. I.E. Attacking and borders are different all over the board.

Chinese Checkers is symmetrical. Every bonus area was the same.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby hecter on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:02 pm

You still have to clean it up a bit (like some overlapping colours), but other than that, I think it's great. Maybe, though, you could add a few more fruit, and make it so that every bonus is different.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby yamahafazer on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:14 am

I think it's looking very good. 2nd revision is much better than the 1st. Why don't you put some more fruit in?
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby drake_259 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:47 am

its better than the 1st but i think the aliens and diamonds shouldn't be able to attack its own kind and he fruit bonus should be a bit less
Corporal drake_259

Postby hecter on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:00 am

drake_259 wrote:its better than the 1st but i think the aliens and diamonds shouldn't be able to attack its own kind and he fruit bonus should be a bit less

I like the idea that they can attack each other. It makes the map more challenging and a bit smaller.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby drake_259 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:08 am

hecter wrote:
drake_259 wrote:its better than the 1st but i think the aliens and diamonds shouldn't be able to attack its own kind and he fruit bonus should be a bit less

I like the idea that they can attack each other. It makes the map more challenging and a bit smaller.

yeah thats a good point but if they can't attack eachother it makes it more like the pacman game
Corporal drake_259

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:24 am

drake_259 wrote:
hecter wrote:

yeah thats a good point but if they can't attack eachother it makes it more like the pacman game
I agree, it is less like actual pac man but so is risk in general. I chose to have them attack to allow the board to flow better.
Major WidowMakers

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:20 am

WM....I have big apologies to make.....on page two where you replied to myself, Coleman and the Good Rev....i accidentally hit the wrong button "edit" instead of "quote" and have gone in and replied Thanks to my post but also deleted your reply to the other posts, hit the Preview button, it looked OK and it still didn't dawn on me what i was doing.
But it seems i have deleted your reply to those issues and it's too late to get them back. My BIG BAD. :oops: :shock:
I'll be more careful next time...but this was bound to happen sooner or later....still no excuse!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:27 am

this map just SCREAMS animated gif.

edit: deleted the animated pacman image which I guess didn't appreciate the direct link. :(
Last edited by oaktown on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:11 pm

oaktown wrote:this map just SCREAMS animated gif.
SHHH. That was supposed t be a surprise. :wink: I planned on animating each character and some of the legend as soon as everything settled down.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:22 pm

If you are planning on adding just one fruit, we should make it a cupcake instead.

1) It fits the CC theme better.
2) Using fruit may cross us back into the other side of the fair use line. Aliens instead of Ghosts was a good move, fruit -> cupcake would be a good one as well.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Coleman wrote:If you are planning on adding just one fruit, we should make it a cupcake instead.

1) It fits the CC theme better.
2) Using fruit may cross us back into the other side of the fair use line. Aliens instead of Ghosts was a good move, fruit -> cupcake would be a good one as well.
I agree. The fruit can go. But I really want some Bonus suggestions for the groups and placement of borders. Regardless of what the spaces look like,

HOW MANY PELLETS PER COLOR AND WHERE DO THEY GO.

Suggestions on those only please (for right now)
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:52 pm

My first thought:

I have a couple stray reds....
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:54 pm

Coleman wrote:My first thought:

I have a couple stray reds....
But then it is almost symmetrical and the colored diamonds are right by their pellets. Based on the poll the community wants non symmetrical gameplay. I don't feel this does that.

Plus with only having 5 colorers it would be really hard to hold all of the pellets (see 2nd picture page 2)

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Right, I'd actually want 8 continents myself and have them not look the exact same or match the diamonds, but what I just did was pretty easy. :oops:

Anyway, I should be updating News right now anyway. I'll give it another shot when I have more time.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yamahafazer on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:23 am

How come there's no teritory in the box where the aliens start on the normal game?
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 am

yamahafazer wrote:How come there's no teritory in the box where the aliens start on the normal game?

I'm not the map maker, but it would seem to me that these are all territories where the Conquer Man can go. He was never able to go into the regeneration box in actual Pac Man (then again, this might be a nice CC variation).
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Get rid of continents.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Version 3
OK here is the next update

Changes:
-Switched the fruit to cake to eliminate any potential issues with the actual Pac-Man game.

Issues:
1) Aliens and Diamonds being able to attack each other.
    A) Stay like the actual arcade game and not allow it
    B) Use it for better gameplay
I choose B for the reason that many maps at CC have attribute that may not be completely true. This attack feature will help break up the very large (in terms of territory count) board.

2)How should Conquer-Man, the Diamonds and Aliens start out?
My initial idea was 8-10 on Conq-Man, 2-3 on each diamond and 1 one each Alien

3)Dont' have any continents
This suggestion by unriggable would greatly reduce the complexity of the map and allow it to go through the foundry (IMHO) very fast. No arguing about bonuses, placement or borders.
The XML could be adjusted to allow increased bonuses based ont he number of pellets controlled
    1-21 = divide by 3 to get bonus
    22-32 = divide by 4 to get bonus
    33-50 = divide by 5 to get bonus
    51-72 = divide by 6 to get bonus.

You get the idea. That way the more you have the harder it is to keep all of your borders safe.

There are reasons I like this idea and reasons I don't. Let's see what everyone else thinks.
Well?

Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:48 pm

1) Better Gameplay FTW

2) I'd suggest 8 on Conquer Man, 6 on cake, 3 on Diamonds, 1 on Aliens.

3) I prefer continents.

4) I'd rather have a cupcake then a cake, but meh. :lol:

5) Version 3? *checks laundry list* Has a legend, it's unique, sidesteps copyright, no size problems, looks playable, interested discussion. You are moved sir. :)
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:05 pm

I agree with everything Coleman said. Especially, the cupcake thing - CC has a "suck it up, cupcake" shirt, after all.

Here's a minor quibble:

WidowMakers wrote:3)Dont' have any continents
This suggestion by unriggable would greatly reduce the complexity of the map and allow it to go through the foundry (IMHO) very fast. No arguing about bonuses, placement or borders.
The XML could be adjusted to allow increased bonuses based ont he number of pellets controlled

1-21 = divide by 3 to get bonus
22-32 = divide by 4 to get bonus
33-50 = divide by 5 to get bonus
51-72 = divide by 6 to get bonus.

Doing a quick math calculation, I noticed that every time you are on the verge of the next territory divisor - you actually LOSE two bonus armies by going over. So, unless you can get a whole bunch of terrs or can get one that offsets the lessened bonus - you'll stagnate (esp. in no cards games).

Not sure how much people will not like that. I'm also sure it will get posted as a bug again and again.

P.S. The army numbers for the teal ghost are a bit low
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:25 pm

Coleman wrote:2) I'd suggest 8 on Conquer Man, 6 on cake, 3 on Diamonds, 1 on Aliens.

3) I prefer continents.

4) I'd rather have a cupcake then a cake, but meh. :lol:

2)Fine By me
3)I am sort of split on this one

Aerial Attack wrote:Doing a quick math calculation, I noticed that every time you are on the verge of the next territory divisor - you actually LOSE two bonus armies by going over. So, unless you can get a whole bunch of terrs or can get one that offsets the lessened bonus - you'll stagnate (esp. in no cards games).

Not sure how much people will not like that. I'm also sure it will get posted as a bug again and again.

This was a quick idea. We would actually adjust the XML so this would not happen

I think I am leaning towards unriggable's idea on no continents.

4) FINE!! Let them eat CUPCAKE!!!
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm very much leaning towards continents... :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:10 pm

I really suggest you dump the continents. Make it more interesting and different.
Cook unriggable

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas