Conquer Club

Duck & Cover [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby I GOT SERVED on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:30 am

I have to say, I love the progress this map's made. That said, Maybe you should switch the colors of Asia and Europe around. I like that Asia was purple. I wasn't a big fan of the grey. So I suppose by making Europe green, that'd (hopefully) make everybody happy.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:53 am

Large and small. Here's what I've done:
• Made the large map smaller by losing some dead area on the globe itself... now 635x635; small is 575x575.
• Reworked the mushroom clouds, which did look like trees. A bit less cartoonish now though, so it's a toss-up.
• Tried Andy's idea of dashes on USA... honestly, each option has looked fine to me, so I'll bend to the will of the mob on this one.
• Cleaned up around Bert's cloudy eye - we don't want the public thinking that nobody is changing his water!

Re. colors... I think I'm hearing that the colors themselves are good, but there's a requet to swap the green and purple. I think the green on the right balances the map, esp. with the tree, but I'm open to suggestions.

Re. yellow talk bubble... yes, my original thought was that it's the same color as North America because Bert is on "our side" so to speak. Also, I like the offset fill and stroke, which we'd lose if I drop the color.

Re. the tree... good or bad? What if I stuck the monkey in there with his stick of dynamite? :twisted:
Captain oaktown

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:03 pm

first time to comment this map :wink:

-colours are good, I like them now
-the tree is just fine, it indeed gives Bert a nice place in the map
-The lines you added in Usa Only S***(sorry for the expression :) ) it's like it's raining there, I liked the stars better

questions:
-are you going to put army circles or just projected on the map?
-is S.E Asia connected with Mexico?
(sorry if you already told this but I haven't had much time to follow everything)

Good job on everything, I like your maps oaktown!
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Gnome wrote:questions:
-are you going to put army circles or just projected on the map?
-is S.E Asia connected with Mexico?
(sorry if you already told this but I haven't had much time to follow everything)

Good job on everything, I like your maps oaktown!

Thanks gnome. In answer to your questions:
1. Look back a few pages and you'll see examples of numbers w/o circles. I think it works.
2. Asia and Mexico connected? Somebody should buy you an atlas for christmas. :D But seriously, I should probably clip the bottom of South East asia so nobody thinks there's a magical portal between Burma and Guatemala. Good catch.

Raining in USA? Hmm... I'll put in something more fun... little squiggles maybe.
Captain oaktown

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Were you high when you thought of this idea? But I like it anyways.
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:10 pm

oaktown wrote:2. Asia and Mexico connected? Somebody should buy you an atlas for christmas. :D But seriously, I should probably clip the bottom of South East asia so nobody thinks there's a magical portal between Burma and Guatemala. Good catch.

hehe well I've always been bad in geography at school :wink:
But it was just because in world maps the world is round so the left edge of the page actually borders the right side of the page :P
So I thought you maybe had did the same in this map :)
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

One note

Postby azdragon on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Here is a note to make it more real. During the cold war most the US bombers were located in Alaska. I don't remember any located in greenland. It make much more Historic Logic if the airplane was moved from Greenland to Alaska.

Also I would divide western Europe into two nations. And reduce the number of mushroom clouds....this many makes it almost imposable to defend, there is no real internal space, but then my favorite map is World 2.0 so I love internal space.
- Jason Dragon
- JasonDragon.com
Lieutenant azdragon

Re: One note

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 pm

azdragon wrote:Here is a note to make it more real. During the cold war most the US bombers were located in Alaska. I don't remember any located in greenland. It make much more Historic Logic if the airplane was moved from Greenland to Alaska.

Also I would divide western Europe into two nations. And reduce the number of mushroom clouds....this many makes it almost imposable to defend, there is no real internal space, but then my favorite map is World 2.0 so I love internal space.

All valid points...

If you go back a few pages we started with the bombers in Alaska, but there was a potential coding problem... when attacking from Alaska to Siberia, are you attacking or bombarding? it was either move the bombers or lose a russian nuclear strike target, and it made more sense to move the bomber.

Dividing western Europe would be fine, but I'd have to lose a territory someplace else. I'm open to suggestions that keep the terit count to 24.

Reducing the nuclear targets would indeed make bonuses easier to hold, but the theme of the map is global nuclear war... as Bert the Turtle tells us, the bomb can drop at any time, with warning or without warning. I'd like to see targets on everything, but that would be a mess. Again, I'm open to suggestions.
Captain oaktown

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:54 pm

If you were going to add a territory to Europe, the only logical one to take away seems to be S.E. Asia.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:If you were going to add a territory to Europe, the only logical one to take away seems to be S.E. Asia.

--Andy

I think I would rather leave SE Asia and make Canada one big nuke-able territory... with the US-UK route it's no longer the bottleneck it was, and it makes North America more attainable.

That would make N. America a +4 total with 6 territories, and Europe a +3 with four territories: UK, Scan, France, Spain. Spain would be the only dead-end on the map. Thoughts?
Captain oaktown

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Hm, could do that, though I particularly liked how North America was set up. But that could also work.

--Andy

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:11 pm

right... i actually think i like it best as is, with western europe left alone. Korea, India and South East Asia were all hot spots for conflicts in the 1950s, so I think they each deserve their own territories on this particular map. Meanwhile, Spain, France, and Italy were reeling and rebuilding from the previous two decades of war.
Captain oaktown

Postby asl80 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm

just a quickie - really not sure about the dashes oaktown, dots were much better - just needed to be sunken in or camoflauged a bit.

I've no preference to either mushroom cloud - both ok, who knows. maybe you'll find another one to try out as things move along.

Colour balance on the map is good, think your right, the green on the right balances the tree - which looks like with support it stays (liked the monkey call, but probably too much for that corner)

No. of territories and selection is good.
Don't think i'd like to see canada/alaska/greenland amlagamated, i think its good buffer between the russia/us bonuses.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby I GOT SERVED on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 pm

So here's what I think:

-Firstly, put the background for the USA bonus back to the stars. That looked nicer than the dashes.

-Scrap the tree all together.

-Swap the colors of Europe and Asia.

Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby d.gishman on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:59 pm

-colours are perfect

-the tree should be removed

-USA should have continuous dashes, not short little diagonals.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:20 am

Continuous diagonal lines might be something to consider...but I think the colors look perfect the way they are. And I don't see any real reason to get rid of the tree.

In regards to adding a territory or taking one away, I think should probably stay the way it is...though making Canada just one territory was an interesting idea.

--Andy

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 am

you need to change the USA back to stars.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Coleman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 am

Unit_2 wrote:you need to change the USA back to stars.
The stars sucked. :(
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yamahafazer on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:02 am

Ok here's what I think...

1. EVERYTHING is fine the way it is except the dashes in the US... I think you should go back to the small stars but put less in... maybe halfing or quortering the number you put in.

2. Please please please please don't change the colours. They look very nice to me and I think that it would be ruind by changing them.

3. I like the mushrooms very much. Nice work.

4. I like the tree. I think it would be nice to see what it would look like with the munkey in there and then we could see what everyone thinks about him. It could be a nice tuch... or it could ruin it. It's hard to tell with out seeing what it would be like.

:D
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby oaktown on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:18 am

what I'm hearing is that all of the issues in question are matters of personal taste, so I'm never going to make everybody happy about everything. I am leaning toward:
• leaving the color scheme as is
• leaving the territory arrangement as is
• changing the mushroom clouds
• leaving the tree, and maybe inserting the monkey on a trial basis
• keep plugging away at a winning USA background... I think the idea of a pattern over the yellow is correct, I just have to hit on one that I like. I haven't been in love with any option so far. Maybe I'll post samples of six or seven and run a poll.
Captain oaktown

Postby asl80 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 am

sounds good oaktown.
That's right, just gonna have to go for what's good for you in the end.

But i'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing those samples.
So look forward to them perhaps ...
enjoy.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby I GOT SERVED on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:16 pm

oaktown wrote:what I'm hearing is that all of the issues in question are matters of personal taste, so I'm never going to make everybody happy about everything. I am leaning toward:
• leaving the color scheme as is
• leaving the territory arrangement as is
• changing the mushroom clouds
• leaving the tree, and maybe inserting the monkey on a trial basis
• keep plugging away at a winning USA background... I think the idea of a pattern over the yellow is correct, I just have to hit on one that I like. I haven't been in love with any option so far. Maybe I'll post samples of six or seven and run a poll.

The only question I have is what are the new mushroom clouds going to look like? I personally think that the current ones look fine as is.

Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby yamahafazer on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:17 am

I like the mushroom clouds too. But I guess it depends on what others think.

Looking forward to seeing the samples of the US teretorys.

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:32 pm

Thank you oaktown.

The green looks MUCH better.

Everything else looks good to me :D
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby yamahafazer on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Congrats on the quech by the way Oaktown... I've only just seen

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas