Conquer Club

Dust Bowl [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you want to have the map changed so Dust territories are given out evenly?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 52

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm

RjBeals wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote: I'd consider adding a representation of dotted/dashed lines to that little message, to make it more clear.

I was waiting for Andy to show up in my thread. Yes you are correct, and I did plan on clarifying a little better than it is now. I can add a dotted line to the legend to keep it clear.

And it's not "only make attacks in the Dust Bowl regions" it's only make attacks across states. You can attack territories within the states all you want.

If that isn't clear, let me know. THanks.

so north platte cant attack imperial?
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Yes. Both territories are within the same state (Nebraska). Territories can attack other territories normally within states - you just can not cross the bold state line borders except where there are dotted lines. This is essentially the drought areas.

Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 pm

RjBeals wrote:Yes. Both territories are within the same state (Nebraska). Territories can attack other territories normally within states - you just can not cross the bold state line borders except where there are dotted lines. This is essentially the drought areas.

ok i get it.... the dotted lines are a bit hard to see though
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 pm

mibi wrote:ok i get it.... the dotted lines are a bit hard to see though

Hard to see... do you suggest making them a different color?
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:09 pm

RjBeals wrote:

no, maybe just more space between dots. they are so close it looks line a solid line almost.
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:12 pm

mibi wrote:
RjBeals wrote:

no, maybe just more space between dots. they are so close it looks line a solid line almost.

Speaking of vector curves... I didn't save my paths for those dotted line strokes - I'll recreate them though and stroke em' with more space between dots. Maybe tomorrow.
Private RjBeals

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:55 pm

my concern is that some of the bonuses seem very large for the number of borders they have. e.g. new mexico is basically aussie on classic, 2 borders and 5 territories but its worth 2x as much
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:59 pm

'Aussie' 1 border, 4 territories.

New Mexico 2 Borders, 6 territories.

Not equivalent.

Nebraska is equivalent to South American though, but is worth 3.

I'd say all the bonuses are inflated to make up for the drought region by 1.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:15 pm

mibi wrote:What about making logan a drought region, Im not sure of the historical aspect, but it would balance out NM a bit since its the only state with only one drought region... seems to be a strong hold there.

yeti_c wrote:My major problem is the straight lines with the drought areas...Droughts don't stop because there's a state line?!

Both of these suggestions have been applied. I also turned North Platte into a non-drought region to keep the drought regions at 12. Plus the +3 Bonus for Nebraska is better suited with 1 border to hold (Imperial).

Coleman wrote:I'd say all the bonuses are inflated to make up for the drought region by 1.
This is true. I always find it more fun to have many bonus regions and larger bonuses.

Aerial Attack wrote:Maybe give the states a wee bit of red background tint?
Tried - but looked horrible. I think I've fixed the problem though.

mibi wrote:maybe just more space between dots. they are so close it looks line a solid line almost.
done.

* I also took down the overall saturation of the map slightly (not as much as the previous post) - but I decreased the saturation of the non-state backgrounds. It makes the playable map states more focused and seperated.

* I used Aerial Attack's suggestion to reword the Central Drought Region to make it a little more clear. I think it's pretty clear now.

* Couple of minor adjustments to borders, centering names / circles. Aligning text areas on the legend. Added army numbers to give a feel of how it will look when it's finished.
Private RjBeals

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:18 pm

wow, nice job Rj its looking good :wink: keep up the good work.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Coleman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:40 pm

To keep the Dusty/Dry look - should I desaturate the map?
  • (A) Keep the normal saturation levels. - 33% - [ 5 ]
  • (B) Desaturate the Map to give it an older look - 66% - [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:05 pm

RjBeals wrote:Image

mibi wrote:What about making logan a drought region, Im not sure of the historical aspect, but it would balance out NM a bit since its the only state with only one drought region... seems to be a strong hold there.

yeti_c wrote:My major problem is the straight lines with the drought areas...Droughts don't stop because there's a state line?!

Both of these suggestions have been applied. I also turned North Platte into a non-drought region to keep the drought regions at 12. Plus the +3 Bonus for Nebraska is better suited with 1 border to hold (Imperial).

Coleman wrote:I'd say all the bonuses are inflated to make up for the drought region by 1.
This is true. I always find it more fun to have many bonus regions and larger bonuses.

Aerial Attack wrote:Maybe give the states a wee bit of red background tint?
Tried - but looked horrible. I think I've fixed the problem though.

mibi wrote:maybe just more space between dots. they are so close it looks line a solid line almost.
done.

* I also took down the overall saturation of the map slightly (not as much as the previous post) - but I decreased the saturation of the non-state backgrounds. It makes the playable map states more focused and seperated.

* I used Aerial Attack's suggestion to reword the Central Drought Region to make it a little more clear. I think it's pretty clear now.

* Couple of minor adjustments to borders, centering names / circles. Aligning text areas on the legend. Added army numbers to give a feel of how it will look when it's finished.

I'm leaving for the weekend - Then I'll be home for Monday & Tuesday - but leaving again Tuesday night for a week long Thanksgiving trip. I'll be gone till the following Monday. Needless to say, I'll be leaving this map as is for a while - until I get back. Hopefully there will be some good feedback for me when I get home :wink:
Private RjBeals

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:24 pm

I think it looks amazing as is. The gameplay has just enough of a twist to it to satisfy my needs personally, while not being so complicated that it will take forever to learn. It certainly won't be one of those maps that knowing the tricks give you an almost guaranteed win like some others.

The color scheme is just right, both for the time period and for that region of the country. It took a few visits to the thread for the curved border of the drought region to really click with me, but it does now, so that is wonderful.

I don't mind the bonuses being inflated just slightly as with the drought penalty it will all even out in the end.

Is there really anything else that needs to be done to this map? It appears as though the XML is done.

I wouldn't mind if Bartlesville were there instead of Tulsa, that way my hometown would be on a map, but it won't fit, so it's understandable. ;)

Great job, RjBeals, I'm looking forward to the map, and already have a tournament planned around it for when it gets released.

Regards, Optimus Prime
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Is there really anything else that needs to be done to this map? It appears as though the XML is done.

I didn't think it was ready yet!? But the XML will be simple once the map is in FF...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby I GOT SERVED on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Firstly, the segment saying that territories can only attack other states via the dustbowl is kinda unclear. And also, can I attack a non-dust bowl territory from a dust bowl territory from a different state? i.e. attacking El Paso from Logan?

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:45 pm

To get to El Paso from Logan you will have to go through XIT Ranch.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:To get to El Paso from Logan you will have to go through XIT Ranch.

On that note - is there a river or something we could stick on that border at all?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:10 am

yeti_c wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:To get to El Paso from Logan you will have to go through XIT Ranch.

On that note - is there a river or something we could stick on that border at all?

C.

Would it help if I put an image of the state borders (the thicker brown lines) in the legend as an impassible border?
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:11 am

yeti_c wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:Is there really anything else that needs to be done to this map? It appears as though the XML is done.

I didn't think it was ready yet!? But the XML will be simple once the map is in FF...

C.

It's not done at all. I just made the bitmapped armies to visually see how it would look. Once I get finished with the large map, I'll start work on the small map. Then the xml will be last.
Private RjBeals

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:23 am

Shows you how much I know about XML then doesn't it?
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 am

RjBeals wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Would it help if I put an image of the state borders (the thicker brown lines) in the legend as an impassible border?

Might work - then put ...... borders as passables...

That way you could remove the paragraph about "must attack through dustbowl" as that would be superceeded...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:
RjBeals wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Might work - then put ...... borders as passables...

That way you could remove the paragraph about "must attack through dustbowl" as that would be superceeded...

C.

Does this make it more clear?

REV-08
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 pm

I know i spelled between wrong :?
Private RjBeals

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Bang on... (except for betwen!!!!!!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Herakilla on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:06 pm

i just wanna make the drought clear, since it says "over" some people (like me) would take the for a division meaning you have (# of drought)/(# of normal) or does it actually mean the difference of drought minus normal with negatives being 0?
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas