Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Magic [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby rebelman on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:28 am

Coleman wrote:I really think it should be 50 neutrals on the Sanctuary and not 100.

i disagreeespecailly as with bonuses you could easily have 40/50 troops coming your way by round 5 / 6 - if you were laying this in fog you could have the sanctuary taken and held before any of youropponents realise you are there
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:52 am

rebelman wrote:the price of petrol and the cost of living in general

Damn straight - it's gone up over 10p a litre - almost upto 15p now!!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Awesome

Postby Keredrex on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:58 am

1st I must say I love Age of realms and can't wait to play ch. 2....2nd I had an interesting thought...
What if instead of Winning by holding the sanctuary for one round
you give the Sanctuary a Bombard Any castle or village and
a high bonus like 8 or 10, Whatever would be an outrageous Number.....
that way it gives the conquerer the ability to wipe the map of his enemies....and (one) small chance for another player(s) to stop him...

u could always make the win condition....Conquer Sanctuary & all villages and castles....that way you dont have to clear the entire board which could get boring

Or maybe not since this is a story to break a spell..... either way i still think the idea above is cool, Do You?
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Re: Awesome

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:06 am

Keredrex wrote:1st I must say I love Age of realms and can't wait to play ch. 2....2nd I had an interesting thought...
that way it gives the conquerer the ability to wipe the map of his enemies....and (one) small chance for another player(s) to stop him...

u could always make the win condition....Conquer Sanctuary & all villages and castles....that way you dont have to clear the entire board which could get boring

Or maybe not since this is a story to break a spell..... either way i still think the idea above is cool, Do You?

The problem with allowing the sanctuary to bombard - is that it allows the player who captures it the chance to stop the players - before they have a chance to stop them...

Whereas with the Objective - the one player takes the Sanctuary - and then all other players have an equal chance to take it back...

If you have such a big win condition - then it will never be used.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MPL on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:36 am

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, =D>

I loved the other map

Mabye you should make more docks unusable I like that Idea
Sergeant 1st Class MPL

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:17 am

Coleman wrote:I really think it should be 50 neutrals on the Sanctuary and not 100.

i'm torn between 50 and 100, it would really need some play testing and unfortunately my regular testers are going on a long vacation (a tour of europe)

so i'm relying on the foundry, i need opinions. 50 or 100??
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:18 am

lord voldemort wrote:question in assasin, can u take the sanctuary ftw still?

the objective overrides anything and grants a win no matter what the gametype is.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:19 am

rebelman wrote:

i disagreeespecailly as with bonuses you could easily have 40/50 troops coming your way by round 5 / 6 - if you were laying this in fog you could have the sanctuary taken and held before any of youropponents realise you are there

well if i see a guy getting 50-60 troops per turn then you can be sure i'll not sit in my corner and let him hide in the fog. i'm gonna try and find out what he's doing. :wink:
Major DiM

Re: Awesome

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:20 am

yeti_c wrote:
Keredrex wrote:1st I must say I love Age of realms and can't wait to play ch. 2....2nd I had an interesting thought...

The problem with allowing the sanctuary to bombard - is that it allows the player who captures it the chance to stop the players - before they have a chance to stop them...

Whereas with the Objective - the one player takes the Sanctuary - and then all other players have an equal chance to take it back...

If you have such a big win condition - then it will never be used.

C.

i agree with yeti_c here.
Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:21 am

its looking good DiM..cant wait
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby owenshooter on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 am

this will be great, even more stuff you can't ever try to get because you are dead in 2 turns!!! at least it is a little more stuff to look at and enjoy as you wait for your turn that never happens.-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:45 am

DiM wrote:

i'm torn between 50 and 100, it would really need some play testing and unfortunately my regular testers are going on a long vacation (a tour of europe)

75?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby benjikat on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 am

DiM wrote:

In chapter 1, there is an objective of hold all the castles, but if you do that you have basically won anyway, or would within a turn or 2.

In order to make this map have the alternative win condition matter more, then as small a number as possible should be used. Personally I think 100 is too high and will rarely be attempted by anyone other than the board leader anyway.

So rather than giving an answer, instead I pose a question: how relevant does the alternative win condition want to be? How often should that be the way the game is won? We can then figure out an appropriate number.
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:58 am

i think people wil try, esp in fog, which seams to be the most common way age of might is played..i think 75 is good..remembering that there will also be high neutrals on the dock and the ice path
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:59 am

benjikat wrote:
DiM wrote:

In chapter 1, there is an objective of hold all the castles, but if you do that you have basically won anyway, or would within a turn or 2.

In order to make this map have the alternative win condition matter more, then as small a number as possible should be used. Personally I think 100 is too high and will rarely be attempted by anyone other than the board leader anyway.

So rather than giving an answer, instead I pose a question: how relevant does the alternative win condition want to be? How often should that be the way the game is won? We can then figure out an appropriate number.

true. i'd like to see games won by taking and holding the sanctuary. and i'm willing to go as low as possible without the fear that by round 2 somebody could rush the sanctuary and win.
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 am

DiM wrote:
Herakilla wrote:it is still oil no matter how you look at it

not realy, i would not want saudi oil on my salad but i do love olive oil.

vegetable and animal oils were used because those are less flammable and only the wick burns. put some gasoline and you no longer have a light source but a bomb :roll:

gas is refined :roll:

but seriously no matter how many armies you put on the sanctuary there will always be a chance that some1 can somehow rush and get it first turn lol!

i say use 75 and make it harder for players to reach each other as this would encourage going for the sanctuary

also make the island around the sanctuary have a really high decay since its very close to the spell and then can feel the affects even more
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby rebelman on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am

DiM wrote:
benjikat wrote:
DiM wrote:

true. i'd like to see games won by taking and holding the sanctuary. and i'm willing to go as low as possible without the fear that by round 2 somebody could rush the sanctuary and win.

agreed - it would be great if people opted for the sanctuary option but its vital that its not made too easy but don't go too low otherwise you are in wheel of fortune mode again with the game more based on luck, drop and first turn than skill.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 am

here is an image with proposed neutrals.

i have did quite a lot of modifications from chapter 1
first i focused on each player getting a fair chance at the resource pairs

so:

xi, fygie and ghyr have to take 5 terits with 12 neutrals
borun 4 terits 13 neutrals.
aoria and mua 3 terits with 14 neutrals.
so i changed some resource neutrals (see on the map)

then i tweaked the neutrals that lead to the sanctuary. these may seem a bit unbalanced as some castles have to kill 13 to get to sanctuary while others have to kill more. BUT when you think that you must go with 100 or more troops i don't think 3 troops will make a difference.

Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:27 am

i really like the paths you added in
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 am

Herakilla wrote:but seriously no matter how many armies you put on the sanctuary there will always be a chance that some1 can somehow rush and get it first turn lol!

i say use 75 and make it harder for players to reach each other as this would encourage going for the sanctuary

also make the island around the sanctuary have a really high decay since its very close to the spell and then can feel the affects even more

of course there's the chance that a guy deploys 6 troops on aoria kills the 3 in aheo, advances 5, kills 5 in ieme, advances 4, kills 5 in u'rl advances 3 and then atacks 2 dice vs 2 dice and gets 25 perfect rolls and kills the 50 neutrals.
it is possible but highly improbable.
basicaly to do it in turn 1 means you must roll perfect dice like this:
3 3v1 rolls
5 3v2 rolls
and 25 2v2 rolls.

the chances are really really slim. :lol:

anyway i'm thinking of making a high decay rate there but i really don't have the legend space to explain this high decay :(
and if i don't explain it then people will report bugs that they lost 5 instead of just 1 because of the decay. :(
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 am

if you make a new shield that would show which territories suffer from this extreme decay would you have room to just say

(insert the shield here) lose X instead
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby benjikat on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 am

DiM wrote:of course there's the chance that a guy deploys 6 troops on aoria kills the 3 in aheo, advances 5, kills 5 in ieme, advances 4, kills 5 in u'rl advances 3 and then atacks 2 dice vs 2 dice and gets 25 perfect rolls and kills the 50 neutrals.

To get to be able to attack the sanctuary at all is less than 1%, let alone the next 50!
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:42 am

benjikat wrote:
DiM wrote:of course there's the chance that a guy deploys 6 troops on aoria kills the 3 in aheo, advances 5, kills 5 in ieme, advances 4, kills 5 in u'rl advances 3 and then atacks 2 dice vs 2 dice and gets 25 perfect rolls and kills the 50 neutrals.

To get to be able to attack the sanctuary at all is less than 1%, let alone the next 50!

it is still a chance and that you have to be aware of said chance
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 am

Herakilla wrote:
benjikat wrote:

it is still a chance and that you have to be aware of said chance

i'm willing to take that chance :lol: let's not get crazy if getting to the sanctuary in turn 1 is less than 1% imagine how low it is to actually kill all the troops in the sanctuary :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:57 am

Herakilla wrote:if you make a new shield that would show which territories suffer from this extreme decay would you have room to just say

(insert the shield here) lose X instead

i don't have room to say anything in the legend. it is already filled with text and it's already going to be a bitch to resize it and keep the text readable for the small version.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas