Conquer Club

Arms Race! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:13 pm

mibi wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:I just noticed a major problem. Once a player is removed from one of teh countries, they have no way to actually attack back. They can bombard with teh spy or missile but not actually reclaim and territories. And since the missile can only bombard cities and the spy can only bombard presidents, scientists and target acquisitions, a player can just sit back in the bunkers and uranium and the game will never end.

To solve this I think teh spices should be able to attack, not bombard. That way there is a link back and fort between the USA and USSR.

Thoughts

WM

The missile launch can attack every territory, problem solved. Making the spies able to attack opens up a whole new can of worms, people invading via the pies and leaving the missile rather useless.

If the missile can attack any of the other territories then there is only one issue left, after you have defeated your opponent from your own land, you wont be able to get any more cards, since its bombard only from there on out, and you dont get cards for bombardment. But this is not really a central issue anyways.
I think you do get a card. There was a thread discussing this earlier. I can't find it.

But other than the card thing, US missile can attack any USSR territory (and vice versa) does solve the problem.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:13 pm

mibi wrote:
The missile launch can attack every territory, problem solved. Making the spies able to attack opens up a whole new can of worms, people invading via the pies and leaving the missile rather useless.

If the missile can attack any of the other territories then there is only one issue left, after you have defeated your opponent from your own land, you wont be able to get any more cards, since its bombard only from there on out, and you dont get cards for bombardment. But this is not really a central issue anyways.

if the above part highlighted in bold happens, this game could really suit cooks :P
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:14 pm

rebelman wrote:
mibi wrote:

if the above part highlighted in bold happens, this game could really suit cooks :P
Thats right I forgot to show the pie territories. They border Chicago and Moscow and you can attack anything if you hold both. :D :D :D
Last edited by WidowMakers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 pm

you get a car when you bombard - i have often got cards this way in pearl harbour
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby mibi on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:18 pm

WidowMakers wrote:I just noticed a major problem. Once a player is removed from one of teh countries, they have no way to actually attack back. They can bombard with teh spy or missile but not actually reclaim and territories. And since the missile can only bombard cities and the spy can only bombard presidents, scientists and target acquisitions, a player can just sit back in the bunkers and uranium and the game will never end.

To solve this I think teh spices should be able to attack, not bombard. That way there is a link back and fort between the USA and USSR.

Thoughts

WM

he started it.
Captain mibi

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 pm

mibi wrote:

Thoughts

WM

he started it.
HAHA :D
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:46 pm

jasnostj wrote:That map is the Russian Federation, not USSR. And what about Alaska?

your right, its russia, thats my fault. if you are more of an expert maybe you can suggest some better cities. I just went by top population and tried to space them out geographically.

also alaska wont be included because it would distort the map size, c'est la view.
Captain mibi

Postby Incandenza on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:54 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
Incandenza wrote:Please continue with this map. I've been hoping for a proper nuclear war map for some time now.

I'm loving this idea too...

Again - I said this in Oaktowns map...

Should be called "Global Thermonuclear War".

C.
Actually since it is partly mibis map it would be called

Global Thermonuclear War!

How about "Eschaton!"?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby edbeard on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 pm

mibi wrote:1v1:

each player starts with 9 territories randomly on the two countries.

don't forget that in 1v1, 1/3 of the starting territories are neutral. So, each would get 6
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby yeti_c on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:19 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:XML does - but what about the game engine...

There's only one set of dropdowns...

C.
I agree but when you attack the game knows you advance troops and when you bombard the game knows you kill the troops and a neutral replaces them. I am pretty sure.

WM

My point is this - you can't have attack and bombard from the same place to the same place...

As you won't be able to work out which is which...

Obviously you can have attacking and bombarding of different places...

Anyways - why are we talking about attacking and bombarding the same place? I don't think that's even on the map!!

C>
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:13 am

yeti_c wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:XML does - but what about the game engine...

There's only one set of dropdowns...

C.
I agree but when you attack the game knows you advance troops and when you bombard the game knows you kill the troops and a neutral replaces them. I am pretty sure.

WM

My point is this - you can't have attack and bombard from the same place to the same place...

As you won't be able to work out which is which...

Obviously you can have attacking and bombarding of different places...

Anyways - why are we talking about attacking and bombarding the same place? I don't think that's even on the map!!

C>
You are correct. We are not talking about attacking and bombarding the same place. I am not sure why you would even want to bombard a territory if you could attack it. Attack would always be better becasue you increase your number of territories.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 am

How about having named American/Russian Nuclear Physicists as the scientists?

For America you could have Albert Einstein / J Robert Oppenheimer
For Russia you could have Dmitry Mendeleyev / Yakov Frenkel

Just an idea..???
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:16 am

MrBenn wrote:How about having named American/Russian Nuclear Physicists as the scientists?

Just an idea..???

Glenn Seaborg might be better for USA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 am

yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:How about having named American/Russian Nuclear Physicists as the scientists?

Just an idea..???

C.

I thought of Einstein first, and then spent about 5 mins googling for the others, so have no emotional attachment... :wink: ... I just had the idea :roll:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby mibi on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:37 am

MrBenn wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

Just an idea..???

C.

I thought of Einstein first, and then spent about 5 mins googling for the others, so have no emotional attachment... :wink: ... I just had the idea :roll:

its a good idea, although I don't want to get too historical on this one.
Captain mibi

Postby Herakilla on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 pm

have you considered flipping the US so it makes sense geographically even if canada isnt there?
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Keredrex on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:33 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Keredrex wrote:Awesome idea... You may want to put Some Flag like symbols on the ICBM's to distinguish...Myabe blue for us red for Ussr otherwise looks really cool
I am actually making teh missile look like teh Titan 2 (USA) and teh SS-18 (USSR) the will me profiles of teh actual missile with some of the decorations.

And I am going to try and make the map look like 1960-70 radar screens. But we shall see.

I don't know if color is more important that theme (with radar all text, cities and map will be bright green with a dark green monitor (US and bright amber with dull brown monitor (USSR).

So what would you rather see before I start?:
    1) Cleanup version of this style of map
    2) Same layout as above but mono color radar screens that fit the technology of the period

WM

Try to make it look like the technology of the era.... Have you ever played defcon...or even wargames comes to mind. Good luck
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby mibi on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Herakilla wrote:have you considered flipping the US so it makes sense geographically even if canada isnt there?

its not a big deal, from what I understand WM is doing some radar screen thing, so the maps will be separated.
Captain mibi

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:51 pm

mibi wrote:I don't want to get too historical on this one.

If you wanted to amke it a mega arms race, you could chuck Germany into the mix... after all Einstein fled Germany as he didn't want them to make the a-bomb!

And you could make it that you had to get to Germany and capture Einstein - and you can't launch a bomb without him... he could be attacked by any other scientist in the world, but could not make any attacks himself.... [goes off on a tangent, never to return...] :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby mibi on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 pm

MrBenn wrote:
mibi wrote:I don't want to get too historical on this one.

If you wanted to amke it a mega arms race, you could chuck Germany into the mix... after all Einstein fled Germany as he didn't want them to make the a-bomb!

And you could make it that you had to get to Germany and capture Einstein - and you can't launch a bomb without him... he could be attacked by any other scientist in the world, but could not make any attacks himself.... [goes off on a tangent, never to return...] :lol:

we are trying to keep it small and uncomplicated.. but good idea for another map.
Captain mibi

Postby Herakilla on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm

i think in chemsitry class my teacher talked about how there are still some theories that a leading german scientist (NOT EINSTEIN) may or may not have sabatoged the german project lol

cant remember exactly
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:03 pm

OK here is version 2. I only made the small map so that we can work out the size issues and city locations/names better.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Assuming there's one player on each half, how do you conquer the bunkers if the missle cannot bombard them?
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Ogrecrusher wrote:Assuming there's one player on each half, how do you conquer the bunkers if the missle cannot bombard them?
I thought about that earlier to day but forgot to post about it. Good catch. One idea is to let spies attack spies.

Plus another thing I forgot was to indicate that a player can only attack up the missile, NOT DOWN.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:54 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:Assuming there's one player on each half, how do you conquer the bunkers if the missle cannot bombard them?
I thought about that earlier to day but forgot to post about it. Good catch. One idea is to let spies attack spies.

Plus another thing I forgot was to indicate that a player can only attack up the missile, NOT DOWN.

WM

I think the launch should bombard the bunkers. This way people don't invade via the spies. The bunkers will serve their purpose as they should have extra armies on them due to the deployment bones, this is especially the case with adjacent and chained games. Maybe make them +3 to exaggerate the effect.

Also, the map looks really awesome. Really well done and top notch.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas