Conquer Club

Arms Race! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:16 am

How are you planning on resetting the neutrals on the warhead?

You *could* use the new "killer neutrals" tag...

At the start of (the player who holds its) turn this would reset the armies there to X. (x is set in the XML - assuming 1)

Or you could go for the decay route - leaving a 1 for that person (and therefore allowing them to deploy on the warhead and start bombarding again?)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 am

I believe they are going for the decay route (that's why it says 'armies reset to 1 at start of turn). And, they'd put the decay up to 9999 or something.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:50 am

edbeard wrote:I believe they are going for the decay route (that's why it says 'armies reset to 1 at start of turn). And, they'd put the decay up to 9999 or something.

Indeed - but this map was made before "killer neutrals" were made available...

So the option could be switched!?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 am

that might be interesting to have a 'delay' in the action.

One might assume once you've conquered the missile and gain the bonus, you've probably won. But, in the cases where you don't, having to re-conquer the missile launch could be interesting. That extra turn in between 'launches' might let someone back into the game.

QUESTION: can the missile launch bombard the opposing missile? I suppose it has to, otherwise it'd be possible for a never-ending game. But, is this intended?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:15 am

Does the killer neutral take effect before or after bonusses are calculated?

If it is before, then it would be impossible to get the bonus for the entire missile... :?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:19 am

No - it's the "missile launch" territory that resets - so you still hold the missile...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:20 am

On another note - 2 player FOW games on this will be awesome... a short battle to chose a side... then who can get the vital territories quick enough to get the missile - without being able to see what the other player is doing - until KABOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:45 am

yeti_c wrote:
edbeard wrote:I believe they are going for the decay route (that's why it says 'armies reset to 1 at start of turn). And, they'd put the decay up to 9999 or something.

C.
Good idea yeti. I had not thought about that. But it makes sense. That way a player must at least attack and kill several neutrals on the "missile launch" territory every turn.

The legend will now read.
-resets to 1 neutral at start of turn

instead of
-armies reset to 1 at start of turn

edbeard wrote:QUESTION: can the missile launch bombard the opposing missile? I suppose it has to, otherwise it'd be possible for a never-ending game. But, is this intended?
Good point. I can't believe I missed that. I guess it has to be able to.

There are two options:
Code: Select all
Currently-Players missile launch territory can bombard ANY territory of the opposing nation (USSR-missile >>>> ANY USA tert or USA missile section) and vice versa

OR

Code: Select all
Need new XML to allow winning condition of owning all of one country (USA or USSR) and the other country is all neutrals (from bombarding)

So I guess that it will be the first option. That is the way the legend is worded and I don't have space for new text anyway.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 am

yeti_c wrote:On another note - 2 player FOW games on this will be awesome... a short battle to chose a side... then who can get the vital territories quick enough to get the missile - without being able to see what the other player is doing - until KABOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

C.
Actually since the missile launch can bombard any foreign territory, once a player occupies it, they will see the rest of the map. FOW become pointless once that territory is held. Spies work against FOW as well bu tin a much more limited way.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:55 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:On another note - 2 player FOW games on this will be awesome... a short battle to chose a side... then who can get the vital territories quick enough to get the missile - without being able to see what the other player is doing - until KABOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

C.
Actually since the missile launch can bombard any foreign territory, once a player occupies it, they will see the rest of the map. FOW become pointless once that territory is held. Spies work against FOW as well bu tin a much more limited way.

WM

Only the player with the missile will be able to see the rest of the map though... so you won't see your impending doom!!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.
Good idea yeti. I had not thought about that. But it makes sense. That way a player must at least attack and kill several neutrals on the "missile launch" territory every turn.

instead of

I thought the whole point of the armies being reset was to avoid stockpiling armies onto the missiles. With the launch territory being reset to neutral, I can build up a notable stack on the Warhead terr instead of the Launch.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:11 am

MrBenn wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

instead of

I thought the whole point of the armies being reset was to avoid stockpiling armies onto the missiles. With the launch territory being reset to neutral, I can build up a notable stack on the Warhead terr instead of the Launch.

You could've done that before... but it's a one way border - so once they're on the launch - it's use em or lose em!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 am

yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

instead of

You could've done that before... but it's a one way border - so once they're on the launch - it's use em or lose em!!

C.

You could have stockpiled on the warhead when the launch had a -9999 decay, but you wouldn't have been able to do anything with them (ie they would have been trapped by your '1' on the launch territory)...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 pm

MrBenn wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

instead of

C.

You could have stockpiled on the warhead when the launch had a -9999 decay, but you wouldn't have been able to do anything with them (ie they would have been trapped by your '1' on the launch territory)...

Ah yes - you make a very good point...

Doh!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:35 pm

How about having a neutral killer on the launch (some sort of jettison), AS WELL AS 'radioactive decay' on the warhead itself?

This way you'd still have to battle some neutrals before bombarding, and you wouldn't be able to stockpile.

For the record, the decay should be 235, to represent the isotope of Uranium-235, which is commonly used in Nuclear weapons... You could call it Uranium Decay or something...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:10 pm

MrBenn wrote:How about having a neutral killer on the launch (some sort of jettison), AS WELL AS 'radioactive decay' on the warhead itself?

This way you'd still have to battle some neutrals before bombarding, and you wouldn't be able to stockpile.

For the record, the decay should be 235, to represent the isotope of Uranium-235, which is commonly used in Nuclear weapons... You could call it Uranium Decay or something...
That will not work because you need to hold the entire missile , president and launch code to get the +25. If there are neutral killers on the missile, the bonus will never be awarded.

I like the idea of keeping the MISSILE LAUNCH terriroty a decay to 1 army (-9999 decay). That way armies stuck on the warhead will be pointless the next turn.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

instead of

My head is spinning now - has this debate gone full circle?

I still like the idea of 235 decay... but not bothered if you choose to stick with 9999.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby fireedud on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:04 pm

WidowMakers wrote:

edbeard wrote:QUESTION: can the missile launch bombard the opposing missile? I suppose it has to, otherwise it'd be possible for a never-ending game. But, is this intended?

WM

WHAT!!?! I mentioned that a few months ago
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:04 pm

fireedud wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM

WHAT!!?! I mentioned that a few months ago
Sorry I forgot. I lot of time has passed since then.

So basically the map is done as is. I just need to fix the spelling error miissile
Major WidowMakers

Postby Incandenza on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 pm

If Missile Launch is going to be able to bombard the opposing missile, you might want to specifically denote that in the legend.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:30 am

Incandenza wrote:If Missile Launch is going to be able to bombard the opposing missile, you might want to specifically denote that in the legend.
There you go.

Version 10

Fixed:
- The +25 bonus text now reads Entire Missile instead of only warhead
- Spelled Miisile properly in legend, new reads missile
- Added "opposing missile" to the bombardments for the missile launch territory.

The missile launch territory will continue to have player army decay. As suggested by MrBenn, it will be called Uranium 235 Decay and will keep a player from stockpiling on the warhead and then attacking.

The only issue I can see with using uranium decay at the name is that it uranium has a half life of millions of years. People might complain that the decay we have in this game is 24 hours minimum. :-)

WM

Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:27 am

Was The Russian Leader "President"? or was he something else?

Perhaps change to "Head of State"

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 am

WidowMakers wrote:The missile launch territory will continue to have player army decay. As suggested by MrBenn, it will be called Uranium 235 Decay and will keep a player from stockpiling on the warhead and then attacking.

The only issue I can see with using uranium decay at the name is that it uranium has a half life of millions of years. People might complain that the decay we have in this game is 24 hours minimum. :-)

I like this - also it means that in a Build or stalemated game this might provide a good limit that can be reached to win the game.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 am

PS - "Launch" territory will also need to be bombarded for the victory too...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:45 am

yeti_c wrote:Was The Russian Leader "President"? or was he something else?

Perhaps change to "Head of State"

C.

It was a Soviet "Premier" I think.
Corporal pepperonibread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas