Conquer Club

Imperium Romanum [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gimil on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Acctually Qwerts I never notived the roma and alps link until cairns pointed it out. Maybe you should represent the link a little better.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby FreeMan10 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 am

QWERT- I agree, something has to be done to indicate where the call-out maps go. When I first looked at the 6 Mar version, I saw the little sections down at the bottom left, but it really wasn't clear where they went. As you've drawn it, there's no connection between the three Lalpes sections, and their actual location near northern Italia. The Roma section is a bit more obvious, but still not clear. As a matter of fact, they didn't even really register fully as call-outs until I read L.P's comment that you needed to identify them - then it hit me when I went back to look at it.

Every map I've ever seen here in the USA will have some sort of outline around the call-out section and around the area it's detailing, then some sort of connection between the two. The connection may not be a line, it may be a label, but it's there in some way, shape or form. Every map I've ever seen in a newspaper or news magazine will have a larger detail map, then a smaller 'location' map indicating the portion that's being detailed. I'm not sure where you're from (English is obviously not your first language, and I commend you for knowing more than one, we're pretty English-centric here in the US), and maybe these things aren't common there, but I'd imagine that if you took an informal poll, you'd find most Americans expect these types of things.

I think Cairns' version is a bit crude, but I believe it was intended as a demonstration, not as a final version, and in that it's effective. You could use a line, as he did, or maybe different shading, or possibly some sort of special standard in the 'source' and 'destination' territs that could also be identified in the legend as an indicator.

I've seen your other maps and you do great work. I really don't believe anyone's implying that you're "retarded" :lol: Don't get too caught up in the little issues - the Foundry's job is to nit-pick the maps until they're just right - that's why we get such great maps to play here at CC. Keep up the hard work, I believe that this will be another great addition to your collection.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:33 am

qwert wrote:
cairnswk Posted: 06 Mar 2008 18:49 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qwert...i make suggestion for you for the Alps and Roma...

Cairnswk,dont tell me that you also not see clear Roma box,and Alpes Box. Its look that aim realy retarded here :?
First of you have three Latin numbers in map I. II. and III. and if you have a so small IQ,you will very fast know where is where, i realy can not belive that people will not know what these boxes present.
Now you have many maps who is far more complicated then these two boxes.
When i work in Western Front,some guys(i dont want to write names)tell me that i will have many complains about British bombardment,but when map quenched, nothing hepend,because people is not stupid, and very fast understand what is what,and what terittory can bombard and what can not bombard.
I know that Lone is smart person,and that he want to create Issue,with something what is 100% simple,then some maps,and that he very good understand what Roma box present,what Alpes provinces box present,and how these working.

Qwert...i am well aware of what they are but perhaps they could be better. ONly a suggestion Qwert. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:41 am

Well i put all latin numbers in these three alpes provinces,and also add Italy on Alpes Boxes.
FreeMan,all map must be in same shape,Now you have many indicators for Alpes Box(Numbers in teritories,All surounded teritories(Italy,Narbonensis..))There is no chance to miss these three teritories.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:52 am

FreeMan10,people its much smart then you think.
Like i say,now you have several map who is much complicate then these map,like VAterlo(its interesting map but its very complicate),and i dont find in map,that when you stand on artilery,you can not move nowhere from these teritories,and these can be very fatal,for players who dont know these.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:25 am

qwert wrote:FreeMan10,people its much smart then you think.
Like i say,now you have several map who is much complicate then these map,like VAterlo(its interesting map but its very complicate),and i dont find in map,that when you stand on artilery,you can not move nowhere from these teritories,and these can be very fatal,for players who dont know these.

Qwert. That is fine then. Do your own thing! We are not comparing my Waterloo map here. If you don't want to take others suggestions to improve your map then so be it. You fall on your own sword.

What are the three fingers on the bottom on the Alps beside the blue sea area...under III ALPS MARITIMAE...that looks really confusing....and unnecessary.
Private cairnswk

Postby FreeMan10 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:04 am

qwert wrote:Well i put all latin numbers in these three alpes provinces,and also add Italy on Alpes Boxes.
FreeMan,all map must be in same shape,Now you have many indicators for Alpes Box(Numbers in teritories,All surounded teritories(Italy,Narbonensis..))There is no chance to miss these three teritories. emphasis added
I see that you've done that, but really, it wasn't that clear to me when I first looked at it. I'm pretty good with maps, but I was lost on this one.
I know there's "no chance" of missing them, but I did.
cairnswk wrote:That is fine then. Do your own thing! ... If you don't want to take others suggestions to improve your map then so be it. You fall on your own sword.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:22 am

Cairnswk
Qwert. That is fine then. Do your own thing! We are not comparing my Waterloo map here. If you don't want to take others suggestions to improve your map then so be it. You fall on your own sword.

What are the three fingers on the bottom on the Alps beside the blue sea area...under III ALPS MARITIMAE...that looks really confusing....and unnecessary.

Cairnswk,i dont have nothing against Vaterlo,i just want to explane to FreeMan,that in CC some maps not have all explanation,and people not complain,now you angry,and now you will start nit picking,only because i mention your map(and i dont mean nothing bad), Now here you attack artistic parts of map, its better to remove all artistic part of map,and to stay only white background. I realy not understand why people want to create issue,from something what is not problem.
I never coment in yours artistic thing in yours map,these is yours decision.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am

Cairnswk,i can understand yours style of making map,and i give you support for these map style,but i dont mine if you not supporting mine style of making maps,these is yours right. All map makers have some artistic things on map,and it will be ridiculos if all maps have same style. If you think that Frazzle paper,look like three fingers and will be confusing for players,i think that these artistic view on Frazzle paper will definitly not create some big confusing on map,but if people on play start complaining on these Frazzle paper,then i will imediatly change these,and i give you honor word.
Mine appology if i say something bad for yours Vaterlo map,i will never again speak about all yours map again.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:10 am

qwert wrote:I know that Lone is smart person,and that he want to create Issue,with something what is 100% simple,then some maps,and that he very good understand what Roma box present,what Alpes provinces box present,and how these working.

??? i was just trying to help, grudges dont last forever. and as other people said at first glance it isnt to clear.

about the zoom is there a reason why it has such a weird shape?

and your borders look a bit pixaletd
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Gozar on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I do not quite understand how the Roma box fits in.

Do you attack into it from Italia? And if so, do you have to go through praetorians first?
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm

I think those coins should be reduced in size, if not removed completely. The map is already so cluttered, they only add to the confusion, in my opinion.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Lone,Prophet
and your borders look a bit pixaletd

What i say,revenge for yours ROman Empire begun. These is old trick,when you dont know what to say,then its easy to say that borders is pixelated.

about the zoom is there a reason why it has such a weird shape?

Now i will must use Translator to find words to explane how i see these.
-Frazzle paper-
-Heckle-
-Scrap of paper-
-detach,particle,fragment,inconstantly,shape,style,fragment.

Lets try to assemble these phrase.
These is frazzle paper,i mean scrap of paper,who have inconstantly shape.
So i belive that he must have some "weird shape". If you take some paper,from i say Ancient age,he will some inconstantly shapes.
Now i give you a good,valid reason why is look like these,now you must give me contra reason,why he not must be in these shape.

Most funny,that only in mine maps nit picking is bigest, Now i just waith that someon find some one little pixel in corner to ask me,why is in these corner and what is present,and that he confusing all map.
Aim spend so many time here in map foundry and when i say that some maps get all these stamps(G,GP,I) aim become very (i dont know how to write these on english).
"Same right for all map makers"these is empty phrase.Here these not worth nothing,if people realy want to help,he will help,if not he will nit picking,till turn you from here.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Gozar Posted: 07 Mar 2008 23:57 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not quite understand how the Roma box fits in.

Do you attack into it from Italia? And if so, do you have to go through praetorians first?

You see how its easy,if you just want to understand,Gozar you give question and you answer to these question.

InkL0sed Posted: 08 Mar 2008 00:04 Post subject:

I think those coins should be reduced in size, if not removed completely. The map is already so cluttered, they only add to the confusion, in my opinion.

Please explane these with confusion,simple if you see coins, what you bethink.
I realy need to go to psychiatrist. People look Coins and become confused. And nobody what to tell me what is confused with these coins,nobody.
And these is not first time,that someon tell me that some thing in map is confused,but when i ask explanation,people can not explane,and i realy need explanation,to i can understand these confusion.Or aim only here crazy to not see confusion with coins,Artistic shape of Frazzle papers,and others confusing thing what i not see.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Grooveman2007 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:31 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I think those coins should be reduced in size, if not removed completely. The map is already so cluttered, they only add to the confusion, in my opinion.

I like the coins, it would be too bare without them.
The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart.

-Kurt Vonnegut
Private 1st Class Grooveman2007

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:40 pm

qwert wrote:Cairnswk,i can understand yours style of making map,and i give you support for these map style,but i dont mine if you not supporting mine style of making maps,these is yours right. All map makers have some artistic things on map,and it will be ridiculos if all maps have same style. If you think that Frazzle paper,look like three fingers and will be confusing for players,i think that these artistic view on Frazzle paper will definitly not create some big confusing on map,but if people on play start complaining on these Frazzle paper,then i will imediatly change these,and i give you honor word.
Mine appology if i say something bad for yours Vaterlo map,i will never again speak about all yours map again.

qwert...i am not angry. :)
I just say that people only offer you suggestions to make map look better in their eyes...but it seems sometimes you don't want to change it to make it look better, if that is case, then that is your decision.

I don't know what frazzle paper is...what is it? I am not nit-picking for making bad comment, but to offer and understand what you are doing, but i cannot see how those three fingers fit it the map...and if this is creative/artistic idea...i got confused why it shouold be there.

Maybe if it confuse me, then it will confuse other people too.

Sometimes, as it learn qwerty, that less is better.

for the rest of the map i think it is very good, but don't think i pick on you because i don't,,,and i encourage you to speak on my maps, i value your input when you give it whether i decide to take it or not.

let us not argue quwert, that is no good for either of us. but like i always do, i point out things that could be better. if you don't want to change it....then that is fine, but if i am asking the question, then probaly some others will ask the question also.
Private cairnswk

Postby hulmey on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Nice map Qwert :wink:

If this map is confusing than the whole Map Foundry should be sacked already. There are loads more confusing maps around!!!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby hulmey on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Sometimes, as it learn qwerty, that less is better.

Lol, carin's :roll:
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 pm

I don't know what frazzle paper is...what is it?

-Frazzle paper-
-Heckle-
-Scrap of paper-

Well i realy want to explane,but its look that i can not find english words for these Artistic style,or how these write.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:17 pm

qwert wrote:
I don't know what frazzle paper is...what is it?

-Frazzle paper-
-Heckle-
-Scrap of paper-

Well i realy want to explane,but its look that i can not find english words for these Artistic style,or how these write.

I understand now. But do you think "scrap of paper" look is appropriate for good looking map?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:19 pm

hulmey wrote:Sometimes, as it learn qwerty, that less is better.

Lol, carin's :roll:

Yes i get the message hulmey...but there is a difference between "less is more" and mere confusion.
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm

and i encourage you to speak on my maps, i value your input when you give it whether i decide to take it or not.

When i mention yours Waterlo map,aim not thinking nothing bad,i play one time,and i reinforce army on artilery,but when i try to move army on other terittory,i sudenly find that i can not move army,but i dont find any warning about that. Maybe these whas your atention to people learn how to play,without any explanation,and belive me aim very good learn these trap,and second game i won,because mine oponent dont know these and reinforce all army on artilery. Thing what i want to say is that these is yours style of map,and i thinking that its will be unfair from me to give you sugestion to change yours recognise style,to something what you dont like. Aim only one time give sugestion in yours BAttle gazala map,about German Unit symbol,what you apply.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 pm

qwert wrote:
and i encourage you to speak on my maps, i value your input when you give it whether i decide to take it or not.

When i mention yours Waterlo map,aim not thinking nothing bad,i play one time,and i reinforce army on artilery,but when i try to move army on other terittory,i sudenly find that i can not move army,but i dont find any warning about that. Maybe these whas your atention to people learn how to play,without any explanation,and belive me aim very good learn these trap,and second game i won,because mine oponent dont know these and reinforce all army on artilery. Thing what i want to say is that these is yours style of map,and i thinking that its will be unfair from me to give you sugestion to change yours recognise style,to something what you dont like. Aim only one time give sugestion in yours BAttle gazala map,about German Unit symbol,what you apply.

yes thanks qwert...i understand, and i am thinking of applying the word warning to waterloo in the near future, but you only bring it up...no-one else, and this is good comment. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I understand now. But do you think "scrap of paper" look is appropriate for good looking map?

Well if i can find some original Ancient scrap of paper,these will be great,but these is mine artistic view on Ancient Scrap of paper.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 pm

qwert wrote:

Well if i can find some original Ancient scrap of paper,these will be great,but these is mine artistic view on Ancient Scrap of paper.

OK. :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas