Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Fri May 23, 2008 6:15 am

Erland wrote:But why do some players get 3 for territory bonus and others only one, in the same game?? See for instance 2495720 or 2495724.

I'm pretty sure this is because the xml was updated between his turn and yours - and unfortunate case of suck it up :(
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 23, 2008 6:24 am

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:
Erland wrote:But why do some players get 3 for territory bonus and others only one, in the same game?? See for instance 2495720 or 2495724.

I'm pretty sure this is because the xml was updated between his turn and yours - and unfortunate case of suck it up :(

Correct.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Renee_W on Fri May 23, 2008 8:41 am

DiM wrote:can anybody that finished some games tell me if the map plays good? are there any changes required?

so far bryguy seems to like it. any other thoughts?

sorry i don't have time to play it and i'm actually curious. :mrgreen:

I've played 4 3 player games(seems almost impossible to get 6 players to join an AOR map) My games may not be very representative since the competition tends to be poor. I've won 3 out of the 4 and the one I lost was the single most unbelievable dice screw I've ever seen. Sanctuary does look to have some very unbalanced power if properly exploited early.(I've never had sanctuary and only 1 opponent really tried to use it and he was too little too late.) Xi strikes me as the most powerful of the regular lands. No die off light resistance and bombard ability makes it fairly easy to pick up 3 runes and a village in 2 maybe 3 turns.

Early thoughts the blood waters should have higher starting neutrals as should the runes around Xi.
Colonel Renee_W

Postby DiM on Fri May 23, 2008 10:00 am

i was thinking the same about xi and i'm considering upping each rune by 1 neutral or at least rock rune 1.

as for the sanctuary, i've heard mixed rumours of it being either too powerful or too weak. i think it is neither. if used properly it can be a really good starting point. if not then it can be your death.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby t-o-m on Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 am

DiM wrote:i was thinking the same about xi and i'm considering upping each rune by 1 neutral or at least rock rune 1.

as for the sanctuary, i've heard mixed rumours of it being either too powerful or too weak. i think it is neither. if used properly it can be a really good starting point. if not then it can be your death.

ive been in sanctuary 3 times!

and on each of them ive managed to get ALL of the blood water terits in the 1st round. (well nearly all)
so i feel satisfied!

one thing i dislike is:

i was in Mua, had 1army re-enforcement, then i attacked ubb because i needed a card. the next round i couldnt get ANYWHERE because i was in Ubb and i had 1 re-enforcement!
so i didnt get a card or a terit!

so dont play this map with cards i say!
Major t-o-m

Postby DiM on Fri May 23, 2008 2:48 pm

i have received a number of pms regarding this map. all kinds of opinions.

some people think the sanctuary is overpowered others think it's too weak.
some people liked the 3 army bonus others didn't.

some say xi is at an advantage.

because i want to offer the best possible experience to players i want your help to tweak the gameplay.

i'm thinking this:
1. raise the number of neutrals on the blood waters from 1 to 2.
2. reintroduce the 3 armies per turn from terit bonus
3. raise rock rune 1 from 1 neutral to 2 neutrals.

thoughts/opinions/feedback.....
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Theguyoverthere on Fri May 23, 2008 7:03 pm

I actually adore all three of those ideas, Dim!
Captain Theguyoverthere

Postby MOBAJOBG on Sat May 24, 2008 10:13 pm

DiM wrote:i have received a number of pms regarding this map. all kinds of opinions.

some people think the sanctuary is overpowered others think it's too weak.
some people liked the 3 army bonus others didn't.

some say xi is at an advantage.

because i want to offer the best possible experience to players i want your help to tweak the gameplay.

i'm thinking this:

thoughts/opinions/feedback.....

Of course, the santuary is broken and I would support the suggestion to raise the initial number of neutral armies for All blood waters and Rock Rune 1 from 1 to 2 armies. :)

I can't give a comment on the #2 recommendation due to the lack of actual game playing experience on this map. [3rd edit] I think this is not even necessary if you've tweaked the bonuses fairly and correctly.

[2nd edit after having read edbeard's post]Note: I would support the suggestion to raise the initial number of neutral armies for Rock Rune 2 and Forest Rune 1 from 2 to 3 armies. :)
Last edited by MOBAJOBG on Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby edbeard on Sat May 24, 2008 10:16 pm

DiM wrote:some say xi is at an advantage.

these people should post in here and give details about the strategy to exploit this advantage. My reason for asking this has nothing to do with me having Xi in my AOR: 3 game.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 am

o so i want to make these modifications:

1 and 3 are easy but 2 i have no idea how it needs to be done.

so somebody please tell me, cause yeti_c is gone for the whole week.
Major DiM

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Sun May 25, 2008 9:43 am

DiM wrote: 2 i have no idea how it needs to be done.

so somebody please tell me, cause yeti_c is gone for the whole week.

Code: Select all
<!-- Reinforcements overrider -->
<minreinforcement>1</minreinforcement>
<reinforcements>
<reinforcement>
<lower>1</lower>
<upper>100</upper>
<divisor>101</divisor>
</reinforcement>
</reinforcements>

Just change the above 1 to 3 if you want 3 at all times and never any more. If you want it to act like normal territory bonus i.e. 4 for 12 etc, then just delete that whole section of code.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby The Weird One on Sun May 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Dim. You've done it again. I love it. I do think that the sanctuary gives a bit too much of an advantage.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby DiM on Sun May 25, 2008 4:32 pm

ok thanks benjikat, i'll do it tomorrow and send it to lack.

glad you like the map weird one. indeed some people think the sanctuary is too advantaged but that should change with the new modifications.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 am

so i have spent some time thinking and finally decided on the following modifications:

1. terit bonus returns to 3.
2. rock rune 1 from 1 to 2 neutrals
3. blood waters from 1 to 2 neutrals
4. fick village dropped from 5 to 3
5. haet village from 4 to 2
6. gunn village from 5 to 3

if there are no complains or further suggestions i will send these to lack tomorrow.

here are the files:
xml: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0wzz5
small: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250 ... lcop-6.jpg
large: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250 ... 1co-13.jpg
Major DiM

Postby The Weird One on Mon May 26, 2008 10:49 pm

For lack of anything better to say:

=D> =D> =D>
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby DiM on Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 am

files sent to lack :mrgreen:
Major DiM

Postby MOBAJOBG on Tue May 27, 2008 9:23 am

I've played 2 games (1-1) and ironically, the outcome of both games were determined by the Santuary. :lol:
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby The1exile on Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 am

I dunno about the blood water increase... I haven't played it to check,but I know that the only time I did play (I won, from the sanc, nag posted the beginning earlier) I definitely felt perched very precariously (so, I took someone's castle for insurance purposes :mrgreen: ). Without the ability to easily rock the blood waters for a reasonable start bonus, I think it might just be too hard to win... it being nearly impossible to build there, and now harder to expand otu to attack.
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby stevieQ on Wed May 28, 2008 11:24 am

I think these changes will help considerably. The biggest problem I see with this map at the moment is that if you get a run of bad dice in round one and take one territory but not a rune, then you are completely screwed the rest of the way. You can't get any extra armies on the territory and you can't effectively use your armies from your castle as you have blocked off the best route.

I think I saw that the bonus is going back to three armies which I think will help considerably.

I also agree that changes to the bonuses for bloodwaters will be helpful.

So maybe this post is premature.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Lieutenant stevieQ

Postby rocky mountain on Wed May 28, 2008 5:51 pm

DiM wrote:3. blood waters from 1 to 2 neutrals

i notice the +3 reinforcements are back, but it doesn't look like these have changed.... or do you have to start a new game to make work?
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby Theguyoverthere on Wed May 28, 2008 7:26 pm

sweet but there's one castle being neglected... mua. It's horrrrrible! 6 and 5 on the runes, with 3 in the way, and 5 on the village...
Captain Theguyoverthere

Postby blakebowling on Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 pm

when I attack neutral bloodwaters from any other port, I can attack and win but not advance, its like im bombarding.
However when another player occupies a bloodwater I am able to conquer it and advance.
can someone help me with this
Private blakebowling

Postby watkinsdouglas on Thu May 29, 2008 3:51 am

The map is great, and I love the other two, especially Age of Realms: Magic. That being said, I've got to say that I think Sanctuary has an unfair advantage. The reason is that they can attack and conquer any port from the blood waters. So, at the beginning of the game, they automatically command the oceans, which all connect. I really think that this needs to be looked at. Maybe make the blood waters so they can be attacked and conquered from any port? (This may be old news, if it is, just ignore me.)
Sergeant watkinsdouglas

Postby DiM on Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 am

rocky mountain wrote:
DiM wrote:3. blood waters from 1 to 2 neutrals

i notice the +3 reinforcements are back, but it doesn't look like these have changed.... or do you have to start a new game to make work?

i think a new game has to be started. in the xml they are correct.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 am

Theguyoverthere wrote:sweet but there's one castle being neglected... mua. It's horrrrrible! 6 and 5 on the runes, with 3 in the way, and 5 on the village...

the village is a port so i can't lower it without making the island vulnerable. as for the resources they are just like aoria, 6 and 5 with 3 in the way.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas