Conquer Club

Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Lupo on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:42 am

It's really a great map! Congratulations!

About the Ice Cap concept, it would need to be evalueted carefully.
I mean, consider it as a continent seems to me not realistic... i would prefer these territories were consider as the sea in alexander the great map.

PS: I apologise, in advance, if i reapeated something that has already been said.

could you take into account the following map? it shows sea ice concentrations during December:

"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:33 am

Lupo wrote:It's really a great map! Congratulations!

About the Ice Cap concept, it would need to be evalueted carefully.
I mean, consider it as a continent seems to me not realistic... i would prefer these territories were consider as the sea in alexander the great map.

PS: I apologise, in advance, if i reapeated something that has already been said.
someone discussed the alexander's sea before. I think it's good the way it is.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:17 am

I also think its good the way it is, and i cant make the ice cap as large as in that picture for playability reasons. I might end up reducing the bonus of the polar ice cap to 2, but we will have to wait and see which is best.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:16 pm

I like the way this map is shaping up! So lets see...

Visual Appeal:
  • I like the color choices and usage of them. They seem to fit well with the map, even the ocean!
  • Fonts--Simple and nice, I like them.
  • Bonus Legend...it's coming along. The colors in there are alright, though N. Islands and E. Asia are a little bright. Perhaps tone yellow down and make it a little more like the color on the map.
Gameplay:
  • With the addition of East Asia (are there any better names than East Asia and West Asia? Ack, oh well :)), it does make Western Asia a better continent, capturing and holding wise.
  • It also makes North America much more attractive, you've only 3 borders now for a bonus of 5...with a nice expansion possibility into N. Islands...keeping your border amount at 3 the whole way up to capturing North Greenland. It makes N. America stronger along with N. Islands. One thing to consider perhaps, if you or others feel that area is too strong, adding a route from Victoria Island to North American Ice. Doing so wouldn't change the borders on N. Islands, and adds more travel options, and makes the strong N. America expansion less easier, so if someone does grab N. America and N. Islands, instead of getting a bonus of 8 for 2 borders, they would get 8 for 3 borders. But just an idea to consider.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nyg5680 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:18 pm

its lookin pretty good keep it up :)
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:06 pm

I've toned down a couple of colours in the legend and rearranged it a bit to keep them readable. I have added that connection between North American Ice and Victoria island. Also, i've decided to keep Ireland there, as the playability is good with it (i.e., the continent bonuses and the # of countries). I moved the name chutkotka and its army circle a bit, because it annoyed me how that border went right through the 'a'.

Last edited by Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fitz69 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Some delineation defining solid ground would help players orientation in regard to the real world. maybe give the ice a less solid look?
Also, A direct route to the North pole from Iceland as well as Murmansk would represent cold-war submarine missions.
Cook Fitz69

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Fitz69 wrote:Some delineation defining solid ground would help players orientation in regard to the real world.

I think the solid ground is obvious enough in this map

Fitz69 wrote:maybe give the ice a less solid look?

What do you mean by that? Could you clarify?

Fitz69 wrote:A direct route to the North pole from Iceland as well as Murmansk would represent cold-war submarine missions.

I am only trying to represent the arctic in this map, not the cold war.

Postby DublinDoogey on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:40 pm

Looks like Hokkaido is slightly hiding under the land layer, not a big deal, but it caught my attention, otherwise I'm loving the map
Private DublinDoogey

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:12 pm

I think he means make the ice look more like 'ice'. I.E. not always plain white, perhaps a little transparent, with a hint of blue or something. But I don't mind it the way it is.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:04 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:Looks like Hokkaido is slightly hiding under the land layer, not a big deal, but it caught my attention, otherwise I'm loving the map

Taking a look at it, it did seem like it was under the land layer, but i checked, and its actually the positioning of the word that makes it look that way. I've moved it down to avoid this. Since it was only a very minor update, i've just edited the previous map.
AndyDufresne wrote:I think he means make the ice look more like 'ice'. I.E. not always plain white, perhaps a little transparent, with a hint of blue or something. But I don't mind it the way it is.

Thanks for clearing that up, I've tried tinkering around with transparency and slight colour changes, but it didnt seem to look right, so I'll just keep it the way it is.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Why dont you edit the shape of North American Ice to connect with Victoria Island instad of drawing a connection line? or did you try this and thought it didnt come out right?

Still don't like your key, maybe get rid of the black border line.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:44 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:Why dont you edit the shape of North American Ice to connect with Victoria Island instad of drawing a connection line? or did you try this and thought it didnt come out right?

Still don't like your key, maybe get rid of the black border line.

I didnt extend North America to connect to Victoria Island, as it would seem strange if it did connect but didnt connect to Elsemere Island (which i can't do for playability reasons). As with the key, here are 2 versions, one with a thiner line, and one with no line, which do you like better?

Postby cowshrptrn on Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:50 pm

i'd say keep it as it is, if people dont' liek it then thin line, but i think no line looks very unprofessional.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:08 am

You might want to sqare up the edges in the one without the line to make it look better, you can keep the top left hand curved.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby cowshrptrn on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:29 am

i dunno, i think its fine as is, it'll look wierd and assymetrical if you do that..
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:39 pm

From the arguments I've seen, i think I'll leave it how it is, perhaps thin the line out a bit

Postby happysadfun on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:43 pm

It's a great map! If you could darken East Asia a bit...
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Wisse on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:26 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think he means make the ice look more like 'ice'. I.E. not always plain white, perhaps a little transparent, with a hint of blue or something. But I don't mind it the way it is.

--Andy

i'm glad i have a mac and are using safari :P
download firefox and you see it good...
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 pm

ok, ive been busy with school work the past few days, but heres the next update. I've left the legend as it is, i will change it if i see a very convincing argument. The only change i've made was to darken East Asia

Postby Fitz69 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 am

Fitz69 wrote:Some delineation defining solid ground would help players orientation in regard to the real world. maybe give the ice a less solid look?
Also, A direct route to the North pole from Iceland as well as Murmansk would represent cold-war submarine missions.

What I meant was someting more like a bolder type of line along the coasts.
Another thing I noticed now was that the connecting blue lines (Svalbard-Norway etc) tend to disappear against the blue seas.

Other than that, can't wait to play it!
Cook Fitz69

Postby dafranca on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 am

This map is great! Why isn't in Final Forge yet?
Sergeant 1st Class dafranca

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:08 pm

dafranca wrote:This map is great! Why isn't in Final Forge yet?

I'm not sure, but i think its because i have one more major suggestion to attend to which i've been delaying: a north symbol in the middle pointing in all directions.

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Fitz69 wrote:What I meant was someting more like a bolder type of line along the coasts.
Another thing I noticed now was that the connecting blue lines (Svalbard-Norway etc) tend to disappear against the blue seas.

Other than that, can't wait to play it!

I've decided not to thicken the lines, i might change that later. I have brightened some of the connecting the lines a bit so they dont dissappear into the seas. And i have finally put the north symbol.

Postby s.xkitten on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:38 pm

don't like the north symbol on top of the map...in the corner or something is fine, but not on top...and personally, its just a game, i don't really care where north is to begin with... :roll:
Sergeant s.xkitten

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas