Conquer Club

Archipelago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Archipelago v5 (Pg. 1&9) - UPDATED May 2

Postby jiminski on Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm

hehe i realise that this is most imperfect and not spelt correctly ('ARCHGO' in case you were wondering ;) ) but how about the working of the title made from the island shapes? I appologies if this is noobish behaviour but hehe your map inspires me.

Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 pm

jiminski wrote:hehe i realise that this is most imperfect and not spelt correctly ('ARCHGO' in case you were wondering ;) ) but how about the working of the title made from the island shapes? I appologies if this is noobish behaviour but hehe your map inspires me.

I love it! But dont use the actual continents, make new ones the shape of letter.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Re: Archipelago v3 (Pg. 1&5) - Updated 4/25/2008 - New Poll

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri May 02, 2008 5:59 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Put that title back up. its perfect!
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby InkL0sed on Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Mjinga wrote:Ruben Cassar and wcaclimbing: Thanks! :) I'll work on it.

InkLOsed: I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. This real-life map of Norway, this satellite photo of Europe, this satellite photo of the island of Kahoolawe, and CC's own Scotland map all demonstrate very jagged coastlines.

It's not jaggedness that makes it look realistic -- but some of it looks like actual shapes. I'd say mostly the Rol Archipelago looks especially funky. It's hard to describe, but there is a difference.

Also, a note about that -- larger islands can be fine with the look you have now, but the small islands look pretty unbelievable (in the literal sense of the word).
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Mjinga on Fri May 02, 2008 6:09 pm

jiminski: Hehe! I lĆøve it! I was going to do something like that, but I was too lazy to do it fast last night, so I kinda went middle roads for update 4.

Kaplowitz and wcaclimbing: I can do a version of each. :) There can be a poll once Zeak figures out how to get the options to work.

EDIT:
InkLOsed: How would you rather they looked? I can have a go at it if you've got a pic to demonstrate? Sorry but I'm not picking up the difference from the way you describe it.
Last edited by Mjinga on Fri May 02, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Jiminski + Kaplo - It's a good idea. I think I like it. But I agree that we shouldn't use the existing continents for it. What if we were to make the letters island-shaped but color them with the same style as the legend box/island?

Wcaclimbing - I see the appeal of that title. I myself don't happen to like the colored-in sections, but maybe we can work in a theme using regular text with small colored islands surrounding it like that, but slightly different. Unless the colored-in letters were the part you loved.

Here's what we'll do for the title. Version 6 will have multiple versions and, if all goes well, I'll be able to put up a poll and we'll vote on them. The options will be the original title from v1, the title from v4, the title from v5, the new island-letter idea of Jiminski/Kaplo, and a redone title in the style of the v4 title.

Any other title suggestions to work on for then?

Also, if everyone is happy with the attack lines, we'll curve them and make them pretty for v6.

Edit: Well, I didn't coordinate very well with Mjinga on that reply :? You guys will just have to put up with a set of redundant replies :lol:

InkL0sed - I think some of the jaggedness can be removed, but as a general style, I think some sharp bits are needed.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby jiminski on Sat May 03, 2008 8:20 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Jiminski + Kaplo - It's a good idea. I think I like it. But I agree that we shouldn't use the existing continents for it. What if we were to make the letters island-shaped but color them with the same style as the legend box/island?

Whatever works best! I just used what i had handy... so if you can create purpose-built letter-shaped-islands or island-shaped-letters, then grand!
As to the colours, i am not sure, It may be nice using the colours of the map(this could be distracting?) and i am sure the legend style would look good too.

Maybe try both ways and see?
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat May 03, 2008 9:16 am

jiminski wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Jiminski + Kaplo - It's a good idea. I think I like it. But I agree that we shouldn't use the existing continents for it. What if we were to make the letters island-shaped but color them with the same style as the legend box/island?

Whatever works best! I just used what i had handy... so if you can create purpose-built letter-shaped-islands or island-shaped-letters, then grand!
As to the colours, i am not sure, It may be nice using the colours of the map(this could be distracting?) and i am sure the legend style would look good too.

Maybe try both ways and see?

Im sure you know this, but if you make them black, then you can use a color overlay to easily change the color back and forth.

Postby fireedud on Sun May 04, 2008 10:24 am

For the islands of dektel and Fenur, can you bring the army shadow completely off, like in Rol Archipelago and Iori Archipelago?
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 04, 2008 11:41 am

fireedud wrote:For the islands of dektel and Fenur, can you bring the army shadow completely off, like in Rol Archipelago and Iori Archipelago?

Sure thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The titles have all been made. They're posted in the first post, and I'll put them below. Due to technical problems (the forum software hates me :evil: ), I can't make a poll right now that comes out correctly. So, the poll will be up soon as Gimil fixes things :D

Poll Options
1) Version 1:
2) Version 4:
3) Version 5:
4) Continent shapes used for letters:
5) Islands used for letters with gray coloring:
6) Islands used for letters with continent coloring:
Last edited by ZeakCytho on Sun May 04, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun May 04, 2008 12:53 pm

5 ftw, maybe 6, but i think i like five better.

Postby rocky mountain on Sun May 04, 2008 7:44 pm

i like 6 best
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sun May 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Here's my idea for the title:

Take the the title from version 5 and put the small islands around it that were in the version 4 title. Don't fill in the closed sections because that makes it hard to read. :|

Either that, or I would vote for the colored island-letters, but they need to be sharpened up. As they are now, it takes a little studying before you figure out what they say.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby jiminski on Mon May 05, 2008 5:44 pm

I have looked, gone away. looked again ... gone away again many times and i am pretty sure i like Option 4 best.. it's tough isn't it!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby gimil on Mon May 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Here you go.

Alothough I feel the current graphics you have are less than decent. There color scheme doesnt really run together well. Texture and other things don't looks so great. Im sorry but nothing pops out to me as exciting in this map :(
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon May 05, 2008 10:17 pm

gimil wrote:Image

Here you go.

:D

gimil wrote:Alothough I feel the current graphics you have are less than decent. There color scheme doesnt really run together well. Texture and other things don't looks so great. Im sorry but nothing pops out to me as exciting in this map :(

Sorry :(
Once we finish messing around with titles, we can try alternate color/texture schemes.

In more positive news, something about the move to the foundry made the poll work! I figured it was worth a try, since it's a new forum and all, and it worked, so go vote!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby gimil on Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:

Here you go.

:D

gimil wrote:Alothough I feel the current graphics you have are less than decent. There color scheme doesnt really run together well. Texture and other things don't looks so great. Im sorry but nothing pops out to me as exciting in this map :(

Sorry :(
Once we finish messing around with titles, we can try alternate color/texture schemes.

In more positive news, something about the move to the foundry made the poll work! I figured it was worth a try, since it's a new forum and all, and it worked, so go vote!

It was only your thread that was doing it which was hte weird thing. :P
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Archipelago v5 (Pg. 1&9) - Title Poll [I]

Postby rocky mountain on Mon May 05, 2008 10:29 pm

i was the first vote caster :D
i actually do agree with gimil about the colours...
good job on the stamp, and good luck for future!
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby jiminski on Tue May 06, 2008 1:24 am

Here you go.

Alothough I feel the current graphics you have are less than decent. There color scheme doesnt really run together well. Texture and other things don't looks so great. Im sorry but nothing pops out to me as exciting in this map :(

congratulations on getting the stamp.

Taste is, by its very definition, subjective and i could not disagree with gimil more.
The Colours are vibrant; contrasting beautifully and the shape and simple toning of the islands go to form a visually exciting, high impact work of art.
i do not say that to be in opposition to gim for its own sake but to reiterate that the graphics and colouring are very popular with at least one user.

well done chaps
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby bryguy on Tue May 06, 2008 8:07 am

wow, im amazed this got moved... oh well maybe ill come to like this map ;)

Congratz on getting to the main foundry!

and heres some things i think ya need

1) New colors
2) a volcano
3) hurry up with the poll
4) btw u can take the poll down anytime by going under the poll options on the first post and clearing everything
5) new bonuses
Corporal bryguy

Postby jiminski on Tue May 06, 2008 9:02 am

sheese .. tough crowd
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby bryguy on Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 am

jiminski wrote:sheese .. tough crowd

nah im just trying to be helpful, anyways also i noted another thing

6) modify the attack lines/delete some
Corporal bryguy

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 am

congrats guys
Major t-o-m

Postby Mjinga on Tue May 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Yay! We got idea-passed! Thanks gimil. :)

Thanks, t-o-m and jiminski!

bryguy:
1) Which do you suggest?
2) We did a poll on that and the winner was "No volcano" in terms of something that actually affected gameplay. Did you mean that you just want the mountain to be a volcano graphically?
3) Zeak fixed it. :)
4) Yeah, we tried, but it wasn't working for some reason before.
5) What would you suggest?
6) Which ones?
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue May 06, 2008 3:21 pm

jiminski wrote:

Here you go.

congratulations on getting the stamp.

Taste is, by its very definition, subjective and i could not disagree with gimil more.
The Colours are vibrant; contrasting beautifully and the shape and simple toning of the islands go to form a visually exciting, high impact work of art.
i do not say that to be in opposition to gim for its own sake but to reiterate that the graphics and colouring are very popular with at least one user.

well done chaps

I agree with you on everything you just said. This map looks good even without lots of textures and blended colors.

As for the poll, could you quickly make a version of the title that I suggested before, just to see how it looked? I would vote for Version 4, but I dislike how you filled in the spaces in the letters completely full of color.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas