Conquer Club

Conquer 4 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 5 [I]

Postby gimil on Mon May 26, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks cicero, yeti is on holiday atm. Well see what he says about this once he gets back.

Any other issues from anyone?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 26, 2008 10:21 am

gimil wrote:Thanks cicero, yeti is on holiday atm. Well see what he says about this once he gets back.

why would anyone go on holiday when you've got CC!
oh that yeti, he's crazy!

gimil wrote:Any other issues from anyone?

i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
the "#4 #6" and the other "#4" next to the glowing thing on the legend isnt very bright, but is still readable -but if it was a bit lighter i think it would be better.
overally, wll done =D>
Major t-o-m

Postby gimil on Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 am

t-o-m wrote:i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
the "#4 #6" and the other "#4" next to the glowing thing on the legend isnt very bright, but is still readable -but if it was a bit lighter i think it would be better.
overally, wll done =D>

Your looking at hte wrong image . . .

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 26, 2008 10:28 am

gimil wrote:
t-o-m wrote:i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
overally, wll done =D>

Your looking at hte wrong image . . .

how embarrassing! :oops:

ok now looking at the right image i see nothing wrong with it!
Major t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 am

gimil....in the rule 2 example, have you got the correct number of rows and columns showing because one example looks short and doesn't quite represent the correct conquerage if you kwim.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 am

cicero wrote:Gimil

My thoughts, illustrated below, are that:
  • effectively stating the rules twice is redundant, hence my removing them from below the "CONQUER * 4" title.
  • removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter
  • the mixing of a "tick" with a "no entry sign" - when explaining rule 2 - is slightly confused. Perhaps the "=" and struck through opposite are better ?
  • "indicate" is more appropriate than "represent" in the flashing spaces text
Though I've not done it in the image I think it would be useful to remove the top line of spaces in the first example under rule 2 - for consistency with the last example and also to reduce the height of the image. The same 5 or 6 pixels could be lost underneath the map title.
[Excuse my rough graphic work, done by pixel manipulation rather than something more sophisticated ... and breaking your flashing spaces in the process. Some of the fonts/font sizes are certainly wrong too.]

I think I agree with everything Cicero has said...

Essentially - the Rule #2 examples MUST say how many they actually equal... I like the "Not Equal" bit too.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:59 pm

so, how does everybody see a game going down on this map? since there's no place to hide, I'm not sure what a winning strategy will look like... try to carve out a corner? grab the easiest four?

I know that the game is called Conquer Four, but does a set of four have to be called a Conquer Four? What if instead the first line of text said "Conquer Four in a row to create a set: +2" - this way throughout the rest of the legend you can just refer to a Conquer 4 as a set, which is far less clumsy.

Regardless, consider rearranging the legend like this:
1. First line of text as is (or as above).
2. First three examples of connect 4s, as is.
3. "Two (sets/Conquer 4s) may share one space.
4. Second of examples, with pulsating shared circles.
5. Additional rows of examples, current rows 3-6.
6. "Two sets may NOT share more than one space."
7. The three bottom examples with "ā‰ " etc.
Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.
Captain oaktown

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm

oaktown wrote:so, how does everybody see a game going down on this map? since there's no place to hide, I'm not sure what a winning strategy will look like... try to carve out a corner? grab the easiest four?

I know that the game is called Conquer Four, but does a set of four have to be called a Conquer Four? What if instead the first line of text said "Conquer Four in a row to create a set: +2" - this way throughout the rest of the legend you can just refer to a Conquer 4 as a set, which is far less clumsy.

Regardless, consider rearranging the legend like this:
1. First line of text as is (or as above).
2. First three examples of connect 4s, as is.
3. "Two (sets/Conquer 4s) may share one space.
4. Second of examples, with pulsating shared circles.
5. Additional rows of examples, current rows 3-6.
6. "Two sets may NOT share more than one space."
7. The three bottom examples with "ā‰ " etc.
Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.

Hmmm - also good suggestions from Oak...

Especially about the last legend line.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cicero on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:51 am

oaktown wrote:Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.
yup
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby gimil on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 am

Reorganised. I want to make sure I got the layout right before I redo the animation.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 6 [I]

Postby Beko the Great on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:43 am

Love the Idea! Graphics are cool for me, as well as bonus... er... Think I've nothing to add ....
Major Beko the Great

Postby cicero on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Further to Gimil's latest image, please see my rough image below.
Note that I'm not suggesting that this one is 'correct' and Gimil's is 'wrong'. Bear with me if I use it to make the following points:
  • as stated previously I believe that effectively stating the rules twice is redundant, hence we should remove them from below the "CONQUER * 4" title (1a) ... taking Oaktown's point about not needing to explaining the pulsing we should remove this (1b) which allows the whole image to be 'shorter' as shown.
  • as stated previously I believe that removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter (2) ... note also the use of "=2", "=4", "=6" etc rather than "+2", "+4". "+6" etc - for consistentcy
  • At (3) there are actually three possible lines in the first "may only share two" example hence both "not equal 4" and "not equal 6" are necessary. Colours and size as in gimil's latest image are better.
  • At (4a) and (4b) wording, colours and size as in gimil's latest image are better.

[Excuse my rough graphic work, again done by pixel manipulation rather than something more sophisticated ... hence why I have not taken the time to incorporate all that is better about gimil's latest revision.]

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:37 pm

cicero wrote:[*]as stated previously I believe that effectively stating the rules twice is redundant, hence we should remove them from below the "CONQUER * 4" title (1a) ... taking Oaktown's point about not needing to explaining the pulsing we should remove this (1b) which allows the whole image to be 'shorter' as shown.
Done

[*] as stated previously I believe that removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter (2) ... note also the use of "=2", "=4", "=6" etc rather than "+2", "+4". "+6" etc - for consistentcy
Can you better explain this one better please?

[*] At (3) there are actually three possible lines in the first "may only share two" example hence both "not equal 4" and "not equal 6" are necessary. Colours and size as in gimil's latest image are better.
I think the not equal to 4 will be enought for people to get the messege.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cicero on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm

gimil wrote:
cicero wrote:
  • as stated previously I believe that removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter (2) ... note also the use of "=2", "=4", "=6" etc rather than "+2", "+4". "+6" etc - for consistency
    Can you better explain this one better please?
In your last image the 'explanation of rule 2' uses the "equal sign" and the "not equal sign".
I am suggesting that the 'explanation of rule 1' should also use the "equal sign" and not a "plus sign" instead as this is inconsistent.

Hopefully my intention is clearer ?

gimil wrote:
cicero wrote:
  • At (3) there are actually three possible lines in the first "may only share two" example hence both "not equal 4" and "not equal 6" are necessary. Colours and size as in gimil's latest image are better.
    I think the not equal to 4 will be enough for people to get the message.
It may be. Happy to let it go dependant on other opinions ...

Sergeant cicero

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks cicero, ill hopefully have an update tomorrow

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:22 pm

gimil wrote:Thanks cicero, ill hopefully have an update tomorrow

Gimil, i am watching this from a Graphics-lickers POV....just so you hadn't thought i had forgotten about you. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:04 am

cairnswk wrote:

Gimil, i am watching this from a Graphics-lickers POV....just so you hadn't thought i had forgotten about you. :)

ive been a little slow cairns with some comp issues. I hope to be back onto the maps today thou :D

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 am

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

ive been a little slow cairns with some comp issues. I hope to be back onto the maps today thou :D

no worries gimil...i suspected something of that manner...either that or you were having too much summer holiday fun. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:13 am

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

no worries gimil...i suspected something of that manner...either that or you were having too much summer holiday fun. ;)

Acctually I began working on monday so my CC time has been cut in half. The other night I reformatted my computer to factory settings and lost the memory card with all my backups on it. After 2 days of stress I finally got everything back and found all my files.

Here, I think I captured everyones suggestions:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 7 [I]

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

The last +4 bonus example, and the last rule 2 example seem redundant. I'd say drop the upper one and keep the lower one.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby rocky mountain on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm

i do not get the explanation of 2 sets may not share more than one space. what happened to the animation? what with the =2 is bad and the =4 is good? it doesn't make sense... the animated way made a lot more sense.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby liamo6969 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:25 pm

is this like a map that we will be able to play? cause atm i am confused if this is a priavte/separate game or something tht is coming to cc!
Lieutenant liamo6969

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:32 pm

liamo6969 wrote:is this like a map that we will be able to play? cause atm i am confused if this is a priavte/separate game or something tht is coming to cc!

All of the maps in the Map Foundry may become maps, there are no private maps :)

I think it should say "+2" rather than "=2" on the bonuses.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 pm

animations were cool. i'd like them back

it really clears up the rules
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby sfhbballnut on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:53 pm

looks pretty self explanatory to me, glad this is getting some attention again
Corporal sfhbballnut

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas