Conquer Club

Cairns Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Cairns Metro V3

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't really have a problem with the connections. The only thing I would suggest is moving the Yorkey's Knob*-City Tinnie connection's City terminus a bit west so there's no confusion that it's a separation connection from the Yarrabah-City one.

*What kind of a name is Yorkey's Knob? Crazy Aussies...
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I don't really have a problem with the connections. The only thing I would suggest is moving the Yorkey's Knob*-City Tinnie connection's City terminus a bit west so there's no confusion that it's a separation connection from the Yarrabah-City one.

*What kind of a name is Yorkey's Knob? Crazy Aussies...

Thanks Zeak....
Yes we love a bit of good humour, but this one's history is real and can be found here if anyone is interested!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:49 pm

[adv. idea]

:D
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm

i think the mini map is way too small.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 pm

The problem with increasing the minimap size is that it overlaps Lake Morris, and you can't have that. Moving Lake Morris (going against reality) is not an option. But if you move the minimap to where the Tinnie and Road connections info is now, I think you can enlarge it a bit. Then move the tinnie/road info to the bottom left corner, where it should fit fine.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 am

Or maybe moving the details on the map a few pixels to the right.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 am

Consider moving the minimap to the connections place - and vice versa...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:15 pm

yeti_c wrote:Consider moving the minimap to the connections place - and vice versa...

C.

so do you think it fits or looks better there....nah! :(

Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm indifferent on the minimap - I think it looks equally good/bad in either place.

The new ocean is much better :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby benny profane on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:21 pm

A few quick thoughts:
-Even though the region is relatively obscure, the layout is interesting enough to make a good map.
-Will it say on the legend that Lake Morris is +1?
-Is it worth considering breaking up Gordonvale into 3 territories?
-I don't think the mini-map is too small, and it looks best in the bottom left.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:47 pm

I preferred the original location of the minimap, and the title looked better at the top. Is there enough space in the bottom-left corner for the minimap and the tinnie/road rule?

Speaking of the connections, I expect that 'Boat (tinnie) Connections' would be more widely understood than ' Tinnie (boat) Connections'; it's only a minor thing, but it took me a couple of reads to work it out ;-)

The tinnie routes look awfully congested at the rivermouth; It's a bit of a struggle to notice that Yarrabah doesn't link up to Edmonton East.

How averse are you to tweaking the actual geography of the region? I know it's where you reside, but you could slightly move the Crystal Cascades--Lake Morris river to the right a bit to free up a bit of space?? Equally Yarrabah could move along the coast a bit, and you could shave off some of the right edge??
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby onbekende on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:44 am

again a map by cairnswk :D And seeing I got no terr names I will just use colors (hopefully you can distinct the continents I use)

Top left (dunno the name in english):
6 terr, 3 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 4 (unlss you want to give your own house a bonus, 4 is really enough.

Light Blue:
4 terr, 4 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus of 4 (seems alright)

Pink:
3 terr, 2 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus of 2 (2 is indeed better, seeing it can later be used for a continentgrab with minimal defences needed)

Green:
4 terr, 4 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 4 (seems alright)

Orange:
4 terr, 4 def/att, 4 cont => Bonus of 4 (alright)

Purple:
6 terr, 5 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 6 (alright, smack in the middle, fighting all the time)

Brown:
2 terr, 2 def/att, 2 cont => Bonus od 2 (alright)

Light Brown:
4 terr, 3 def/att, 2 cont => Bonus of 3 (3 is indeed better, will be taking together with yellow soon anyway)

Gray:
5 terr, 4 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus od 4 (really 4, as with the top-left side this will also grow into a easy defendable continentgrab)

Yellow:
2 terr, 2 def/att, 2 cont => Bonus of 2 (good)

as for the map itself, following notes:

- Lako Morris is a stand alone territory I presume? Only attackable from Konimba (purple)?
- Searoutes stretch long and strange, I would suggest to add a East Trinity <=> City route otherwise the Yellow/Light Brown gets easy bonus for 2 defences.
- Landroute at the left gets taken over by the map, offcourse this is clear to me how it goes (even shown on minimap thats over it) but there will be whiners.
- Bridge linking Machans Beach on the left and seemingly Airport/Freshwater on the right, is this to keep?

rest can't say much, yet :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Re: Cairns Metro V4

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Version 4
1. Moved map right and took some territory from Yarrabah to do it.
2. Inset the mini-map as a road sign (similar to NYC map I know) but i think this looks good.
3. Changed the Northern Beaches colour from blue to olive, but i don't think that is final colour.
4. changed tinnie connections to light blue - i think this is better - yes.

onbekende wrote:again a map by cairnswk :D And seeing I got no terr names I will just use colors (hopefully you can distinct the continents I use)

Thanks onbekende....i will examine bonuses soon.

MrBenn wrote:I preferred the original location of the minimap, and the title looked better at the top. Is there enough space in the bottom-left corner for the minimap and the tinnie/road rule?

Speaking of the connections, I expect that 'Boat (tinnie) Connections' would be more widely understood than ' Tinnie (boat) Connections'; it's only a minor thing, but it took me a couple of reads to work it out ;-)

Yeah, this is purely an ozzie expression and i'd prefer to keep this as is...it wouldn't hurt for the rest of the world to become familiar with some ozzie expressions too :)

The tinnie routes look awfully congested at the rivermouth; It's a bit of a struggle to notice that Yarrabah doesn't link up to Edmonton East.

Fixed

How averse are you to tweaking the actual geography of the region? I know it's where you reside, but you could slightly move the Crystal Cascades--Lake Morris river to the right a bit to free up a bit of space?? Equally Yarrabah could move along the coast a bit, and you could shave off some of the right edge??

I think that has been addressed also....yes?

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:35 pm

benny profane wrote:A few quick thoughts:
-Even though the region is relatively obscure, the layout is interesting enough to make a good map.

Nicely positive, thanks :)

-Will it say on the legend that Lake Morris is +1?

Yes

-Is it worth considering breaking up Gordonvale into 3 territories?

Possibly....as soon as i can find a suitable name.

-I don't think the mini-map is too small, and it looks best in the bottom left.

Agreed and moved back there in V4.
Private cairnswk

Re: Cairns Metro V3(P4) - Designing

Postby MrBenn on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:56 pm

I like the new background colours. It's a subtle change but I like it ;-)

The new legend is fantastic - I'm not completely sold by the green on the tinnie/road sign, but the poles are really good.

It took me a while to work out that you'd shifted things to the right without stretching/resizing things... There's a small bit on the left edge that will need touching up - it looks like some sort of polygon-shaped basemap showing through - it''s mainly the lighter green shapes that look out of place.

The tinnie routes look a bit clearer, although it is possible that somebody might think that East Trinity links to City. Would smoothing the 'overhang' from City into the river help?

All-in-all it's coming on nicely ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Cairns Metro V5(P4) - Designing

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm

MrBenn wrote:I like the new background colours. It's a subtle change but I like it ;-)

The new legend is fantastic - I'm not completely sold by the green on the tinnie/road sign, but the poles are really good.

It took me a while to work out that you'd shifted things to the right without stretching/resizing things... There's a small bit on the left edge that will need touching up - it looks like some sort of polygon-shaped basemap showing through - it''s mainly the lighter green shapes that look out of place.

The tinnie routes look a bit clearer, although it is possible that somebody might think that East Trinity links to City. Would smoothing the 'overhang' from City into the river help?

All-in-all it's coming on nicely ;-)

Mr B

Does this look better....?

Version 5

Private cairnswk

Postby benny profane on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:20 pm

All the changes look great!
For the sake of clarity, you might want to move the road connection from Trinity Point to Yarrabah a little higher up where it connects to Yarrabah.
Other than that, everything is pretty clear.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm

benny profane wrote:All the changes look great!
For the sake of clarity, you might want to move the road connection from Trinity Point to Yarrabah a little higher up where it connects to Yarrabah.
Other than that, everything is pretty clear.

Fixed in Version 5 above, please refresh your browser 2 C :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Yup, nice cairnswk! But to be fair I've liked it from the beggining. The new sign is sweet though. SWEET.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Yup, nice cairnswk! But to be fair I've liked it from the beggining. The new sign is sweet though. SWEET.

Kewl :)
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:05 pm

v5 is on page 3 not 4 as the title says :mrgreen:

anyway back to business.

1. please save the image as png and make the background transparent instead of white. it would look much better
2. the wave rings on the title sign look a bit unnatural. perhaps making them slowly fade away towards the edges would look better
3. i'm not a big fan of lake moris. i know it starts neutral so it's not such a big deal but i just don't like 1 terit bonuses. perhaps splitting it in half and making 2 terits with a bonus of 2 would be better and make the otehr terit connect to crystal cascades
4. on the minimap the east trinity bonus doesn't make it clear that yarrabah and trinuty point are part of the same continent. perhaps making the beaches up north a bit bigger (just on the minimap) and moving the 4 in the middle would help.
5. some continent names are hard to read or are overlapped by borders/army circles. ex: redlynch, city heights
6. the minimap has a white rim that turns green on the left side.
7. also the poles holding the minimap kinda look like some sort of ... ummm... phallic symbols :lol:
8. the bridge in Machans Beach borders both the airport and the freshwater terits? if the answer is yes then i think a split bridge would do a better job. something like a Y tilted 90 degrees clockwise like this: -<
9. the redlynch - freshwater bridge has a gradient between the terits colours while others aren't coloured in terits colours
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 pm

This map needs more flavor. I don't like the Overlay text either, it looks too watermark-ish. THe boat connections needs to be better presented, its all clusterfucked in a square centermeter there. The title and its integration is great though, nice touch.

Hows that for an open face comment sandwich. :twisted:
Captain mibi

Re: Cairns Metro V6

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 pm

DiM wrote:v5 is on page 3 not 4 as the title says :mrgreen:
:oops:

1. please save the image as png and make the background transparent instead of white. it would look much better
2. the wave rings on the title sign look a bit unnatural. perhaps making them slowly fade away towards the edges would look better

Fixed.

3. i'm not a big fan of lake moris. i know it starts neutral so it's not such a big deal but i just don't like 1 terit bonuses. perhaps splitting it in half and making 2 terits with a bonus of 2 would be better and make the otehr terit connect to crystal cascades

OK I've split that into two terts, and connected it with some walking tracks.

4. on the minimap the east trinity bonus doesn't make it clear that yarrabah and trinuty point are part of the same continent. perhaps making the beaches up north a bit bigger (just on the minimap) and moving the 4 in the middle would help.

Done.

5. some continent names are hard to read or are overlapped by borders/army circles. ex: redlynch, city heights

Fixed.

6. the minimap has a white rim that turns green on the left side.

Fixed.

7. also the poles holding the minimap kinda look like some sort of ... ummm... phallic symbols :lol:
Sorry if you have a one-track mind Dim, but i think they're very realistic and certainly what we use here in Oz just for such things. :)

8. the bridge in Machans Beach borders both the airport and the freshwater terits? if the answer is yes then i think a split bridge would do a better job. something like a Y tilted 90 degrees clockwise like this: -<

Done

9. the redlynch - freshwater bridge has a gradient between the terits colours while others aren't coloured in terits colours

Yes i see that, and i'll look at that shortly when i decide on what to do with the bridges.

Version 6 below
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:46 pm

mibi wrote:This map needs more flavor. I don't like the Overlay text either, it looks too watermark-ish. THe boat connections needs to be better presented, its all clusterfucked in a square centermeter there. The title and its integration is great though, nice touch.

Hows that for an open face comment sandwich. :twisted:

Thanks mibi for those comments.
I'm not sure we're going to be able to do something about the boat connections as this is where they EXIST.
However, i'll examine all for you.
Aren't you watching your own Presidential Debate? I am.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

looks much better now.

just one more thing. you moved the ... erm .. ph...poles around and now they don't touch the bottom of the map. instead they just seem to float in mid air.
i think you should not extend them towards the bottom of the map but instead do what you did with the title sign. make the poles stick in the map itself.
put some dirt and some grass at the foot of the poles and they'll look great.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas