Conquer Club

Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:04 pm

Yeah, that makes sense.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:17 pm

I prefer the old version...

You are suffering same problem of all unexperienced map makers... excess of borders. Only 8 non border countries in all the map.

Also, the rect borders between continents looks very strange in this version... when they are separeted, it looks much better, like in USA or Australia (other map).

In fact, the other one is the map Im waiting the most. Maybe you could help the original creator to finish it. It started very very VERY well, but then the creator died, by the way :?
Major Marvaddin

Postby sfhbballnut on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Great improvement, the line from Kimberley to Cairns looks a little clumsy though, you might try using sea ports between them. :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby sfhbballnut on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I prefer the old version...
Also, the rect borders between continents looks very strange in this version... when they are separeted, it looks much better, like in USA or Australia (other map).:?

I disagree, I like the conected look a lot better than the seperated one, it looks more like a map :D :)
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Teya on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 pm

I prefer this version way better than the other aussie map in the making. I want an aussie map to actually LOOK like australia. This 1 does. Also, I think its the aussies that need to be happier with it than other people, like Marvaddin who is from Brazil. Its an aussie map for the aussies. Most other people have their country to play.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:02 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I prefer the old version...

You are suffering same problem of all unexperienced map makers... excess of borders. Only 8 non border countries in all the map.

Also, the rect borders between continents looks very strange in this version... when they are separeted, it looks much better, like in USA or Australia (other map).

In fact, the other one is the map Im waiting the most. Maybe you could help the original creator to finish it. It started very very VERY well, but then the creator died, by the way :?

Thanks for the comments, but sorry mate. I made this map to reflect Australia. That includes having it actually represent the shape of the continent, having real state borders and territories that represent the local areas.

Something like 70% of the continent is desert with very few towns or landmarks so this is why the majority of territories are along the coast and there are so few border territories.

For me, I want to play an Aussie map that represents the country the way it is. If others don't, I'll stop wasting time making the thing. If people do want to play it, it's there choice. You don't like the map you don't have to play it. :D

Postby hasaki on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 pm

With the link from cairns to kimberley, what about moving it to above brisbane and you could call it the brisbane line. The line that was suggested if japan ever invaded during ww2.
There can only be one. OK sometimes two or three.

Highest place- 35
Highest score- 2517
Colonel hasaki

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:37 am

Teya wrote:I prefer this version way better than the other aussie map in the making. I want an aussie map to actually LOOK like australia. This 1 does. Also, I think its the aussies that need to be happier with it than other people, like Marvaddin who is from Brazil. Its an aussie map for the aussies. Most other people have their country to play.
Im from Australia and prefer the other one. The other one looked more true blue aussie. The background represents the official Australian symbols and the way the lines are drawn show the spirit of Australians who cbf getting everything right, with a 'the map is close enough, she'll be right' attitude.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Teya on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:57 am

I dont see how the other map is "more true blue aussie" It looks really bad & my 2 yo niece could draw the shape of this country better. Also, QLD is ONE state NOT 2. The other map was made by a typical queenslander & is liked by the same kind of people. WA is bigger, split that into 2.
At least this map has stayed true to the ALL aussies, not just people from QLD.
And Close enough isnt good enough. It doesnt represent the country properly. Or al all for that matter. Everything about the map is wrong.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:10 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:Im from Australia and prefer the other one. The other one looked more true blue aussie. The background represents the official Australian symbols and the way the lines are drawn show the spirit of Australians who cbf getting everything right, with a 'the map is close enough, she'll be right' attitude.

EDIT: After some quick responses to my decision to discontinue the map, I'm leaving it open at the moment. I'll wait for further poll results before making my final decision.
Last edited by KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BD Juzza on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:14 am

Your rite this map looks 100% better than the other Australian map if the other map was to be made i would not play it at all , keep on going on this map i really like what you have done so far and you have my full suport good luck with it and keep the good work up.
Cadet BD Juzza

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:31 am

Thanks for your support BD Juzza, I've put a poll up to hopefully get a better idea of what people actually want.

Postby Spockers on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 am

I also support this map, I think its coming along really well.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:43 am

Thanks for your support also.

Can I just make a point that people who are here to critisise the map without offering any constructive critisism can keep their comments to themselves.

I also think people need to keep in mind that the site wants maps that are different and don't stick to the same formula. The way I see it, the more maps the better and there's plenty of room for two Australia maps.

So please, just post helpful comments in future. 8) [/i]

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 am

oh well, if u cant beat them join them.

Get rid of the sea routes for starters, they dont make sense. All countries in the northern territory are borders, not smart. This is also true for South Australia. A map of Australia without being split into different sections like the other one is, is going to be difficult to make, due to the lack of natural boundraies the environment offers, I look forward to seeing how you grapple with this idea.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:48 am

Perhaps we could add New Zealand.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Haydena on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 am

KEYOGI wrote:Thanks for the comments, but sorry mate. I made this map to reflect Australia. That includes having it actually represent the shape of the continent, having real state borders and territories that represent the local areas.

But if the gameplay isn't there who is going to play it?

Seriously take into consideration what Marvaddin says, his maps may not look all that brilliant :), but he tries to make the gameplay his mainn concern. Whilst I like looking at a map I don't choose which maps I play by how they look, and the gameplay error Marv pointed out would leave flat rate and no card games going on for months becuase no one could ever hold continents, it's ridiculous.

Oh and you say you built it to reflect australia, can you teleport from the east side to the west side in autralia then?
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 am

Teya wrote:I think its the aussies that need to be happier with it than other people, like Marvaddin who is from Brazil. Its an aussie map for the aussies.

I completely disagree. Its not a map for the aussies, Im sure. It will be better when we get most people liking it, not only the aussies. Even why Im sure its not unanimous among the australians this is the best option... so its not aussies vs the rest... lets try to make something to all.

Teya wrote:And Close enough isnt good enough. It doesnt represent the country properly. Or al all for that matter. Everything about the map is wrong.

Well, its almost impossible represent the country properly... Do you think Brazil map represents Brazil properly? We do what we can about it, but sacrifice playability for geographical accuracy is lunacy. If a map is not playable, doesnt matter how beautiful or accurate it is. Like Haydena said, Im always pointing playability, because I dont know anything about Australia geography, or Philippines geography (although I did Philippines map)... but a map with poorly constructed continents wouldnt be so good, would it?

Returning to the main discussion:
KEYOGI wrote:Something like 70% of the continent is desert with very few towns or landmarks so this is why the majority of territories are along the coast and there are so few border territories.

So FEW border territories??? you misunderstood me...
We should think about a way to give some continents less borders... mountains or rivers, I dont know... the splitted way would be the easiest... By the way, why is the first map sooooo bad? If we not australians can understand the problem, maybe we can think about it...
Major Marvaddin

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Thanks for all the response. The map looks the way it does after my initial lot of feedback. Now I've got more ideas on how to improve the map I can do that.

When it comes down to it though, i'm not willing to sacrifice the look of the map for playability, that's why I wanted to make an alternative Australian map. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and it doesn't have to be used. I was simply offering an alternative for those that weren't happy with the other map.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Why dont u build on happysadfun's idea and make an oceania map, that would get u away from copying jas_in_obits map but will also let Australia be the bulk of your map. You have plenty of space to put Oceania in, all that space to the east. I mean how would u feel if u were making a map u had almost completed like Jas_in_obit has, and then suddenly somebody came and made another map of exactly the same area?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:Why dont u build on happysadfun's idea and make an oceania map, that would get u away from copying jas_in_obits map but will also let Australia be the bulk of your map. You have plenty of space to put Oceania in, all that space to the east. I mean how would u feel if u were making a map u had almost completed like Jas_in_obit has, and then suddenly somebody came and made another map of exactly the same area?

That's why I asked in his thread if it would be rude and I only got one response, which was it wouldn't.

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:14 pm

There seems to be a majority of support for this map, and I've taken recommendations onboard and made some adjustments.

There are now fewer border territories in the hope it would make states/continents easier to defend. There is now a mountain range between NSW and SA to remove that attack option.

What it comes down to, is I think Autralia is a difficult map to make and have everyone happy with it. It's got to be either made to reperesent the country or made to adopt a gameplay friendliness. I don't think there's a happy medium.

Either way, this is my last major alteration of the map. I'm happy to make little adjustments, but I'm not spending any more hours moving things around too much.

So make your final suggestions. If people aren't happy with the map, then so be it. Make your voice heard on whether it should be kept or thrown out.

And gavin_sidhu, the other Australia map has been very slow to progress, taking seven months so far. Again, I'm just providing an alternative, if people don't want it, I don't care.
Last edited by KEYOGI on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 pm

After checking my atlas i sstill cant find where this mountain range of urs came from.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 pm

They're the Flinders Ranges. Been moved a little to accomodate the map and provide an unpassable boundry. I've added it to try and appease those of you that have nothing but negative comments to make.

If you want to talk about geography however, go back and look at the other Australian map. The state borders are completely wrong and states are even missing. Not to mention the fact that the shape of the country altogether is completely fictitious. But thanks for making me point negatives out on jas_in_obits map, becasue until this point I have avoided it.

Now, finally, unless people have constructive comments to make about the map, keep the comments to yourself.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas