Conquer Club

Team Chat versus Public Chat - Move the Check Box

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Team Chat versus Public Chat - Move the Check Box

Postby stealth99 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Anyone who has chatted in a team game has experienced the frustration of trying to enter a public comment but have it post as a team comment. You can't even copy and paste the comment to the chat window and send it again because it won't accept identical posts. You have to type something different. This problem isn't a serious problem but it is a nuisance that occurs very frequently to many players.

I discovered today why it is that I, and so many others, do this so often. When I am typing in the chat window, another window opens up suggesting chat options and the like, and this new window opens over the check box for "teammate" chat. In fact, while I type, I often wonder if I have the box checked or not and the box is often hidden. I realize that not every user will have these additional windows opening up and covering the check box and that it depends on personal settings, but a very large number of us do share these settings.

Solution: Move the check box to the top of the chat window instead of it's present location, right below the chat entry window.

Benefit: The obvious benefit is a more convenient and more enjoyable chat experience, thus a better game experience.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Re: Team Chat versus Public Chat - Move the Check Box

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 am

" it is a nuisance that occurs very frequently to an unknown amount of players--especially those who have the most difficulty in learning."

FTFY.

which is why I reject this suggestion. Not enough players are that stupid or careless to fall victim to this minor problem.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby stealth99 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 pm

You get to reject this?

My god, if this site has to rely on that judgement then shut her down now. A problem that every single team player that has ever played, has experienced multiple times, and in at least one of every two team games you find this error. Those are simple facts. You are confusing the severity of the problem with the frequency that people are affected. The first one being small does not have to equal the second being small, but that appears to be your entire point.

While the inconvenience is a small one, so is the fix, hence the suggestion. Virtually no downside.

Ye who preaches about intelligence, or a lack thereof, are quite amusing to those of us who understand the difference between big problem affecting few, and a small problem affecting many.

One wonders where your confidence comes from, really?
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:24 am

(1) You really don't know how many people have this problem. You're just making shit up.
(2) You're ignoring the fact that some people learn better than others. You can change the position all you want, but some will keep making mistakes.
Just sayin'.

What browser are you using? How is your chat box expanding and covering the check box?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby frank_tank on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 pm

hey bigballinstalin...

THANK YOU FOR INSULTING MY INTELLIGENCE!! Just so you know:

He isn't making this "SHIT UP" as you put it sooo tactfully

I am ranked as officer on CC

I have a bachelor's degree

OBTW... I have done this mistake several times including recently...

Before making a statement like this... why don't you check it out with several people... of course I am sure all of YOUR FRIENDS will state they have never made a mistake like THIS!!! I am sure at this point you will reply with some witty, snotty comment that will show your intelligence and my obvious lack of....

Many of us don't have hours to devote to this site since we actually have lives outside of CC (I KNOW I KNOW CAN'T BELIEVE WE WOULD EVER MAKE A PUBLIC STATEMENT LIKE THAT)!!! Try to get turns in quickly since in between family, work, other activities, etc...
Sergeant 1st Class frank_tank

Location: outside of buffalo new york state--CC occasionally lists country as canada

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 am

Your yelling doesn't make your position sensible. The ego-tripping about being an undergrad officer of CC doesn't help too.

The main point is that either you're capable of learning, so there's no need for the suggestion, or there's no hope for your kind, so it doesn't matter where you relocate a check box. For example, I can reuse your arguments about people being stressed for time and conclude that they'd still forget to click on/off the newly relocated check box.

OP has some weird browser problem which he doesn't want to correct himself. He just wants to impose costs on everyone else because he's a lazy rent-seeker. He imagines that this problem afflicts many, and that his vision would herald in a Golden Age for CC. It's nonsense, and people should have the balls to say it's nonsense. If you disagree, then think about how to substantiate his claims (good luck).

Some people won't like saying what I'm saying because it'll hurt their feelings, but I don't care for tiptoeing around sensitive cyber children. You wouldn't want a mod explicitly insulting a customer's intelligence, but I don't have any qualms about it. Backlashes are ineffective, so save yourself some time from flaming.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby frank_tank on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:21 pm

wow bigball....

u really live up to your name!!

must suck to live in your world and not be the master and ruler of the universe when people disagree with you!!!!!

i guess if we don't agree with your point of view then we are wrong and u r right???

all for now... have fun and keep working toward that goal of everyone having to agree with you no matter whether u r right or wrong (GGGGUUUDDDD LLUUUCCCKK)!!!
Sergeant 1st Class frank_tank

Location: outside of buffalo new york state--CC occasionally lists country as canada

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Since that fallacious response doesn't address the problems with the suggestion, then we can safely reject this.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
(2) You're ignoring the fact that some people learn better than others. You can change the position all you want, but some will keep making mistakes.

Some people will always make some mistakes. That's just stating the obvious. None of us are perfect. That doesn't mean that systems shouldn't be optimized to reduce the chances of making a mistake.

Where I work, the new plow trucks we bought this year were manufactured with the plow-control levers using a the backwards pattern of back = down and forward = up. This led to a lot of mistakes. Having the mechanics reverse the system to the normal pattern of forward = down and back = up fixed those, without needing to resort to a campaign of calling our drivers insulting names.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 am

Dukasaur wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Some people will always make some mistakes. That's just stating the obvious. None of us are perfect. That doesn't mean that systems shouldn't be optimized to reduce the chances of making a mistake.

Where I work, the new plow trucks we bought this year were manufactured with the plow-control levers using a the backwards pattern of back = down and forward = up. This led to a lot of mistakes. Having the mechanics reverse the system to the normal pattern of forward = down and back = up fixed those, without needing to resort to a campaign of calling our drivers insulting names.

Sure, fixing the lever problem makes sense. Drivers already have intuitive understanding of how the device should work. My general point here is that some systems can be improved when the error is large enough and lies within the effective scope of reform. Attemping to fix the OP's 'problem' won't improve the system because we're dealing with anomalies.

Where's the intuitive place to put the Check box? There isn't one--except for the place which 99.99999% of the CC is already familiar with. OP has a weird problem that seems unique to his browser (it's not CC-related). Relocating the Check box won't fix the fundamental problem of some people forgetting to check/uncheck the chat (they're anomalies). The other guy is a troll. Finally, there's tools designed for relocating the entire chat box.

The system is fine, and personal fixes are available, but attempting to shift an entire subsystem in order to address a few anomalies is wasteful. Trial-and-error + suffering some fools offsets the costs. Case closed.
Major BigBallinStalin

Return to Suggestions