Conquer Club

[GO] Add Bots as Combatants in multiplayer games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] Add Bots as Combatants in multiplayer games

Postby Fazeem on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Bots should be able to added to multiplayer games of all types to add another level of unpredictability to game options. I am not sure if that is already the plan and we are just in a early stage of development or if this was an aspect that has not been considered yet as a way to simply utilize what is existing in features

Standard human vs human vs bot or a Team human vs team human vs team human vs team bot or a Assassin human vs human vs human vs bot

yet another dynamic added to the line up of gameplay options that will further challenge the present devotees and entice new comers to stay
Lieutenant Fazeem

Re: Add Bots as Combatants in multiplayer games?

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't see this as a likelihood until the bots get more clever. At present, in a high-ranked game they would be making something tantamout to random moves, which would inevitably annoy greatly whoever the target of the random attack was.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Gilligan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I don't see this as a likelihood until the bots get more clever. At present, in a high-ranked game they would be making something tantamout to random moves, which would inevitably annoy greatly whoever the target of the random attack was.

+1
Captain Gilligan

Postby Fazeem on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I don't see this as a likelihood until the bots get more clever. At present, in a high-ranked game they would be making something tantamout to random moves, which would inevitably annoy greatly whoever the target of the random attack was.
I see what you are saying but still digress in that I have seen players acting far more random then the bots in most of my games. You never know what may or may not set someone off and that seems far more random and annoying to me lol. Seriously speaking though that deliberate randomness may be enough to offset the other deliberate randomness of the dice which would definitely change approaches in game play. Imagine never knowing where a esentially neutral raid may come in on you in a game as being a factor on how you attack and defend. People would instead of just using neutral armies as a buffer have to worry how they may compromise their battle plan. I mean you could even call it Something like Chaotic Neutrals as they may or may not attack at any time and they would have a equal starting position as a player. Hsving a player noone can talk sense to already occurs in a lot of games and at least this way we can be sure that sensless players is not just a multi helping its main account. Again just a idea on how a another potential new dynamic that could be gleaned from existing features with minor tweaking.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Fazeem wrote:
I see what you are saying but still digress in that I have seen players acting far more random then the bots in most of my games. You never know what may or may not set someone off and that seems far more random and annoying to me lol. Seriously speaking though that deliberate randomness may be enough to offset the other deliberate randomness of the dice which would definitely change approaches in game play. Imagine never knowing where a esentially neutral raid may come in on you in a game as being a factor on how you attack and defend. People would instead of just using neutral armies as a buffer have to worry how they may compromise their battle plan. I mean you could even call it Something like Chaotic Neutrals as they may or may not attack at any time and they would have a equal starting position as a player. Hsving a player noone can talk sense to already occurs in a lot of games and at least this way we can be sure that sensless players is not just a multi helping its main account. Again just a idea on how a another potential new dynamic that could be gleaned from existing features with minor tweaking.

but you are a striper. you are far more like to play someone of the Bot's ability than the higher ranks who avoid games with players on 800 or 1000 points as though they'll catch the plague.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:37 am

greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:

but you are a striper. you are far more like to play someone of the Bot's ability than the higher ranks who avoid games with players on 800 or 1000 points as though they'll catch the plague.

What does Striper mean? IF it is in reference to my current rank I have made captain on a number of occasions but I tend to welcome all challengers so I take some severe losses when I am on a down streak of luck. THe ranks of some of those making chaotic, random and or spiteful moves varies I have seen a number of majors do so and even more higher ranks than I with considerably lower win loss % then I. That said I am not sure what you mean by the post in general?
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:12 am

Fazeem wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:

What does Striper mean? IF it is in reference to my current rank I have made captain on a number of occasions but I tend to welcome all challengers so I take some severe losses when I am on a down streak of luck. THe ranks of some of those making chaotic, random and or spiteful moves varies I have seen a number of majors do so and even more higher ranks than I with considerably lower win loss % then I. That said I am not sure what you mean by the post in general?

those of us with stripe ranks are more likely to play any game, any setting and see a lot of bad players/moves/tactics as a result. the higher ranks stick to their specialty. they have an idea of how a player should play and anyone who does not conform to their idea of the correct 'style' of play is shunned. bots are erratic and would fail to conform to this ideal.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 am

greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:

those of us with stripe ranks are more likely to play any game, any setting and see a lot of bad players/moves/tactics as a result. the higher ranks stick to their specialty. they have an idea of how a player should play and anyone who does not conform to their idea of the correct 'style' of play is shunned. bots are erratic and would fail to conform to this ideal.

ok gotxha hat makes sense, but does not take away from this being a awesome idea.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby Agent 86 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

I truly hope Dakasaur is correct on this.

Dukasaur wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:Not a chance, left Land Grab because of Bots fucking up a good game. I can't believe CC would put this in place against so many other good ideas. Fail as there are so many maps with varieties of play, no bot can be programmed to be competitive on such a diverse playing field. Will not have any bot in my games ruining real games.

Don't worry, the bots can't join games of their own accord, and they can't be invited to games. They are strictly a 1v1 thing that you play if and only if you choose to.

CC put in the bots for a very good reason. Our Number 1 problem has always been new user retention. People hear about the site, they come and check it out, sign up for a few games, and nothing happens. The game they joined doesn't start until maybe days later, and meanwhile they've moved an and are playing some other game on some other site. Even if the game does start, their turn doesn't come up right away, and if it does, it's probably because they are playing some farmer who has been waiting to ambush them.

We've tried various strategies to improve new player retention, but without much success. The most recent major push was to have some free speed games for new members. That did more harm then good. It increased the creation of multies, it increased farming, and it didn't do much to improve the retention rate.

This is a new attempt to achieve that goal. New players can come, get some instant gratification by having a few games that begin right away. The bots aren't very good as players, but they are just good enough to give a new player a bit of a challenge, as well as an introduction to how the game plays out and the basic mechanics. With a bit of luck, the new player will develop a taste for the game and be much more likely to stick around.

A lot of veterans have tried some games against the bots now, mainly out of curiosity. There is even a nice official tournament involving those games. However, you and I are not the target audience, and the bots are not intended to be serious competition for a veteran. They are a new player hook, we hope, and that is all they are meant to be.
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Fazeem on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

Agent 86 wrote:I truly hope Dakasaur is correct on this.

Dukasaur wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:Not a chance, left Land Grab because of Bots fucking up a good game. I can't believe CC would put this in place against so many other good ideas. Fail as there are so many maps with varieties of play, no bot can be programmed to be competitive on such a diverse playing field. Will not have any bot in my games ruining real games.

Don't worry, the bots can't join games of their own accord, and they can't be invited to games. They are strictly a 1v1 thing that you play if and only if you choose to.

CC put in the bots for a very good reason. Our Number 1 problem has always been new user retention. People hear about the site, they come and check it out, sign up for a few games, and nothing happens. The game they joined doesn't start until maybe days later, and meanwhile they've moved an and are playing some other game on some other site. Even if the game does start, their turn doesn't come up right away, and if it does, it's probably because they are playing some farmer who has been waiting to ambush them.

We've tried various strategies to improve new player retention, but without much success. The most recent major push was to have some free speed games for new members. That did more harm then good. It increased the creation of multies, it increased farming, and it didn't do much to improve the retention rate.

This is a new attempt to achieve that goal. New players can come, get some instant gratification by having a few games that begin right away. The bots aren't very good as players, but they are just good enough to give a new player a bit of a challenge, as well as an introduction to how the game plays out and the basic mechanics. With a bit of luck, the new player will develop a taste for the game and be much more likely to stick around.

A lot of veterans have tried some games against the bots now, mainly out of curiosity. There is even a nice official tournament involving those games. However, you and I are not the target audience, and the bots are not intended to be serious competition for a veteran. They are a new player hook, we hope, and that is all they are meant to be.

this is a suggestion for a option not a all games must include feature so if you know you would not join that type of game this should have no impact on your CC life.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby patrickaa317 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 pm

No. Bots should not be included in games. Horrible idea. The only way I could see this is if you were the sole human against a pile of bots.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby macbone on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 am

A human team vs. bots team would be an interesting idea.
Colonel macbone

Return to Suggestions