Conquer Club

Restrict new recruits to 1v1's for their 1st 10 games.

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Restrict new recruits to 1v1's for their 1st 10 games.

Postby Keefie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:26 am

Concise description:

New recruits should only be able to join 1v1 games until they have 10 completed games.

Specifics/Details:

As above

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

Player retention will be improved as new recruits should see immediate action in their 1v1 games. No more giving up and moving to other sites because they can't be bothered to wait for team games to begin.

Ranked members games won't get delayed due to new recruits dead beating.
Colonel Keefie

Re: Restrict new recruits to 1v1's for their 1st 10 games.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 am

Who is to say that a 1v1 game is played real time? Real time action is now taken care of with bot games. If a new recruit wants to play 1v1, they can, if they want a four man game, they can. This would end up losing more players than it would ever hope to keep as not everyone wants 1v1 games.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby clangfield on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 am

10 is too many. I've suggested before that the first 5 should be restricted to a subset, to highlight farming and diminish the effects of deadbeating, but just to one game type will put more off than it attracts. I found it useful to see what multiple other players did when I first joined.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby Keefie on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 am

koontz1973 wrote:Who is to say that a 1v1 game is played real time? Real time action is now taken care of with bot games. If a new recruit wants to play 1v1, they can, if they want a four man game, they can. This would end up losing more players than it would ever hope to keep as not everyone wants 1v1 games.

Absolute rubbish :( It will stop new recruits drifting away, if the games they join start pretty much straight away. Currently, a guy can come on the site and join 4 team games that don't start for days, bye bye new recruit.
Colonel Keefie

Postby VioIet on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

Personally, I disagree with this suggestion. I do not like 1v1. Never have and probably never will.

I happened to come to this site from another website, called Risk Attack. We had a very nice population over there. A group of people left that website to come here to CC and I came along with many of them. Right from the start, we wanted to play multi-player games with each other. We gradually learned about the other settings over time.

There was also no such thing as 1v1 at Risk Attack. A game could only start once at least three people had joined, but everyone preferred 6-8 players.

If we had been restricted to 1v1, then I, and I'm sure many others would not have stuck around. And that would be quite tragic indeed, as we've now been here for 3-4 years and have all contributed to the CC community and the clan community.

Also, I bought premium the first day I joined, so I was not the "typical" new recruit. I would have been quite angry to have spent $25, and find out that I couldn't play any games with my friends, when that was the whole purpose of me joining in the first place.

Remember not all new recruits are alike. Likewise, no one rule fits all. I think people should be free to play whatever they like.
Bruceswar: I have big news coming out soonish
Violet: oh, what big news?
Bruceswar: I am leaving KORT to go to RA

Private 1st Class VioIet

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 am

Keefie wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Who is to say that a 1v1 game is played real time? Real time action is now taken care of with bot games. If a new recruit wants to play 1v1, they can, if they want a four man game, they can. This would end up losing more players than it would ever hope to keep as not everyone wants 1v1 games.

Absolute rubbish :( It will stop new recruits drifting away, if the games they join start pretty much straight away. Currently, a guy can come on the site and join 4 team games that don't start for days, bye bye new recruit.

Not rubbish at all. Who is to say that if I set up a game now, a new recruit joins it, I may not take my first turn till the next day. Sometimes I play 1v1 but can only log on once a day.

As for players joining 4 player games that do not start for days, well that is maybe more of an issue to do with the games they choose. Most 4 player classic games start pretty quick, but a 4 player trench on Das Schloss may take a month to start. Thank goodness we stop them playing that map and setting all ready.

New recruits are restricted enough as it is. Forcing them to play a single type of game would force more away that help retain.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Before I came to this site, I hated 1v1 RISK. Do you remember all the times you and 1 friend battle over and over again on the same map or do you remember the epic family games with broken alliances and grandpa flipping the table?

Major turn-off potential.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I agree with the guys on this one. My very first game on CC was a 4 player game on the Ireland map. We were chatting on Skype voice call and chose CC. The boys picked Ireland so they could kick my butt. 3 of us signed up that day to play with someone who was already a member. I never played risk before, liked it and stuck around. I am sure there are many people like me that signed up to play with specific people. Restricting to 1v1 would have prevented us from ever signing up :P
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I would not have been introduced to this site by friends were it not for getting into a game larger than 1v1.
Major Bones2484

Postby patrickaa317 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 pm

I agree with allowing more than 1v1 but I also get the intention behind the suggestion. Perhaps the solution is to allow them to have n number of speeders off the start to test out the site, which might get them hooked on speeders and pony up for premium.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:23 am

patrickaa317 wrote:I agree with allowing more than 1v1 but I also get the intention behind the suggestion. Perhaps the solution is to allow them to have n number of speeders off the start to test out the site, which might get them hooked on speeders and pony up for premium.

Speeders where tried and pulled. For some reason, the speeder idea did not work as intended. But maybe a new recruit bot training session should be set up. No points, easy to beat and allows a very quick 1v1 game upon sign up. This could be allowed on top of the normal 4.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby macbone on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:35 am

I support the idea of an additional bot 1v1 game for new recruits to go along with the allotted 4 games, but being locked into playing 10 1v1 games would be a major turn-off for me if I were a new player. Larger numbers of players makes for a more interesting game, and I never liked playing 1v1 Risk on the board. I like 1v1 now, but if this site had made 10 1v1s mandatory when I signed up, I don't know if I'd have stuck around.
Colonel macbone

Postby OliverFA on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I think this suggestion would alienate more players than the ones that were retained. It's ok to forbid 12 player games for new recruits as they take forever to fill, but limiting that to just 1v1 is too much.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Return to Suggestions