Conquer Club

[SCBD] "Retired" Player Scoreboard

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: "Retired" Player Scoreboard

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:56 pm

I like the idea.
Permanently guested players shouldn't appear on it though, imo. It's a different story if their banning was temporary, but for the duration of their ban, they should be off all scoreboards. It's only fair given that some were banned for gross abuse of the system.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby agentcom on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:44 am

Dukasaur wrote:
agentcom wrote:I think the original idea is a good idea--the one that said a small scoreboard. But I would say that it should be an "All-time" scoreboard, so that active players could be on it. All-time 100 top points achieved, games played, medals won, and maybe some others.

I would also exclude anyone who has been guested in one way or another.

While allowing active players in a Hall of Fame isn't common in sports (at least the American ones with which I am familiar), since players can come and go, I think it's necessary. Also, you wouldn't want to discourage someone from coming back because it will mean their name will leave the hall of fame (or incentivize a multi for the same reason). But disallowing people who broke the rules from entering a Hall of Fame is common and probably fitting here.

It may be common, but it makes a mockery of the whole thing. Fame is defined as "the state of being known by many people" in its most fundamental sense. When someone like Pete Rose, who is known to pretty much every baseball fan on the planet, is excluded from the Hall of Fame, it isn't Pete Rose who suffers. It is the Hall of Fame itself which loses relevance. Slowly but surely the Baseball Hall of Fame has changed from an "Oh my God I gotta go there!" to a "Yeah maybe we'll stop there if we have extra time on the way back."

Real fame comes just as much as from evil deeds as from good deeds. Well, perhaps more so. A scoreboard that tries to play Jiminy Cricket is not going to command any respect. Would you visit a World War II museum that tried to pretend the Nazis didn't exist?

I was afraid that my post would lead to a Pete Rose discussion, but since we're here ...

Allowing Pete Rose into the Hall would be like lifting his permaban. (I can't believe I just typed that sentence.) So we can keep going with the analogy, and I can still agree with both you and me :) . I agree with you that Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame and I agree with me that permabans should remain off the scoreboard. I suppose we could extend the analogy further and say that only people who achieved high rank by cheating should be taken off the HOF, but those whose indiscretions were unrelated to the game (forum bans) could be allowed on. Regardless, I think that this one issue isn't what would hold up this suggestion, and I note that you're in favor of it in some form, this point on how it should be implemented notwithstanding.

More problematic is Mets point. However, it could still be implemented from here forward (like many sports records that are disclaimed by wording such as "since the [NFL] merger" or "in the modern era [of baseball]"). Sufficient records exist to record games played, medals won, and a host of other categories for all players. But for points, you could track them from a short time ago and forward with accuracy. You could probably reach back farther than that with some work. And you could go all the way to the beginning of CC with a little bit more work and an asterisk denoting any estimations/assumptions.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 am

i must say that i dont know who are this Pete Rose(but this sport are quite minor in Europe) and i dont know what he have with CC?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:51 am

For those that where great, the players here will always remember them. But when they leave, all we are left with is a bunch of names that no one will ever know or even care about.

Would much rather see one of the many other scoreboard suggestions implemented instead.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby macbone on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 am

I'd rather see a Hall of Fame implemented rather than a retired player scoreboard.
Colonel macbone

Postby Qwert on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

well i dont understand why dont add informacions to this page:

memberlist.php

you all ready have rank column,, just need to add points, medals, games played, and everything are ok.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm

macbone wrote:I'd rather see a Hall of Fame implemented rather than a retired player scoreboard.

Can you be more specific?

Fame based on what? Score, medals, a vote of their peers, total games won, some composite of the above?

Without specifics it's just a name.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't reasons to add a minimum to this. Just list the all time scores. It doesn't matter whether it is currently on the scoreboard or someone who hasn't played in 5 years. Everyone wants to see where they stack up against everyone all time.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:46 pm

agentcom wrote:*insert bunch of quotes*

I am completely in agreement with you.

Actually an all time scoreboard would be extremely easy to implement, currently banned members staying off it, just as easy. Everyone who is guested is in a "guest" usergroup, therefore, the guest usergroup would just stay off the scoreboard while all registered members would appear on it.

Just as simply forum banned "guests" and site banned "guests" would be in two separate groups anyway, so just a matter of not allowing site banned guests to appear up there.

Putting site banned members who cheated their way to the top back on the scoreboard would be like unbanning them and I don't think it should happen unless they appeal and their accounts are unbanned.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JamesKer1 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:08 am

Seeing as highest all time score on profile was submitted, why not this?

Info could be pulled from the profile, and this suggestion might even be treated as an extension of that.

EDIT: Saw it had some issues with it. Not sure if they should still go together or not.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Previous

Return to Suggestions