Conquer Club

Limiting how many games of same type opponent can join

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Limiting how many games of same type opponent can join

Postby IcePack on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Concise description: When you have open public games, this would limit the number of times a single player can join the same identical game type and settings.

Specifics/Details:
Example: If you have 10 Antarctica Auto Seq ESC CH FOG No Trench No Round Limit Poly games and are looking to get unique kills....this would prevent the same player from joining either a predetermined number of games via your control panel, or something that each person can customize for themselves.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

There are times when I don't mind that a player joins any of my open games. However, when medal hunting and you have 25-50 of the same games so that you can get some unique kills, I would love to be able to check a box and limit it to a certain extent (i dont mind 2-3 games, for example) but having had several people join 5-10 games of the exact same type it becomes increasing frustrating to play the same players over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again (yes, im sure that was annoying to read, now imagine playing that number of games with someone the same times, maps, settings, and play styles!)

This suggestion would allow for either customization or predetermined amount (I'll propose to start, 3) games maximum on your games that are active or in waiting games.
I dont want to keep having to foe people because they choose to join so many games. Some do it on purpose, others dont know any better. But it creates a very frustrating experience for those who are seeking some of the newer medals (or even some older ones, when you're up to the gold or platnium range and are having a harder and harder time finding uniques)

THanks,
IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: Limiting how many games of same type opponent can join

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:23 pm

I know it sucks... but I do not think this will work. I too get frustrated sometimes, but we just gotta play on.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 pm

create three at a time; if the same person joins them all, foe them. Repeat as necessary.

A lot of times, I'll create a variety of maps to work on my medals; your suggestion would do nothing for me as you are suggesting all settings should be the same to restrict it.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby IcePack on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:create three at a time; if the same person joins them all, foe them. Repeat as necessary.

A lot of times, I'll create a variety of maps to work on my medals; your suggestion would do nothing for me as you are suggesting all settings should be the same to restrict it.

Well I'm wanting to start a convo about it. Creating 3 @ a time is a long process.
I did suggest that something that might be customizable

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm

- All tournament games should be discluded from this count.
- I think the easiest is to limit the number of total games you can have with any person but be able to exclude people from that list.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Artimis on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 am

patrickaa317 wrote:create three at a time; if the same person joins them all, foe them. Repeat as necessary.

A bad idea with the wrong motivation. The foe list is intended to protect you from really bad and/or unpleasant players, using the foe list to hunt medals..... It's almost cheating.

TO: IcePack

I like medals as well, they're nice and shiny and they look great on my wall! :)

However I think there is a better solution to your issue than site modification. Are the medals you're trying to gain linked to game settings or maps?

[1]If game settings are key, then I would suggest playing a variety of maps with the desired setting to avoid mass multiple joins by the same player. Maybe they just really like the map.

[2]If it's map related as with the Beta-Maps medal, you still have some variety, even if it's not as much as you would like. Vary the settings to avoid multiple mass joins by the same player. It could be that they really like those settings.

[3]Ultimately, just increase the number of slots for players to join, the more players that join, the more unique kills you're get should you win. The same player can't join the same game twice. So this is probably the best option of all three. :D

Lets think about this, do you really want to stop other players from playing games that they enjoy(foe list not withstanding)? It's in CC's best interests to encourage players to play more games.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby IcePack on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:42 am

Artimis wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:A bad idea with the wrong motivation. The foe list is intended to protect you from really bad and/or unpleasant players, using the foe list to hunt medals..... It's almost cheating.

TO: IcePack
I like medals as well, they're nice and shiny and they look great on my wall! :)

However I think there is a better solution to your issue than site modification. Are the medals you're trying to gain linked to game settings or maps?

[1]If game settings are key, then I would suggest playing a variety of maps with the desired setting to avoid mass multiple joins by the same player. Maybe they just really like the map.

[2]If it's map related as with the Beta-Maps medal, you still have some variety, even if it's not as much as you would like. Vary the settings to avoid multiple mass joins by the same player. It could be that they really like those settings.

[3]Ultimately, just increase the number of slots for players to join, the more players that join, the more unique kills you're get should you win. The same player can't join the same game twice. So this is probably the best option of all three. :D

Lets think about this, do you really want to stop other players from playing games that they enjoy(foe list not withstanding)? It's in CC's best interests to encourage players to play more games.

Lots of people use the foe list, because of exactly what I'm saying and creating 3 @ a time is a big hassle. I'd rather not put on foe for medals so I'm proposing something to help.

1) I play what I enjoy, which varies from time to time. But I'd rather not make my own playing experience less enjoyable if I want to play on map A with xyz settings if that's what I really want to play
2) same here. Beta I have to anyway in order to get enough wins but outside of that the same as #1 applies.
3) this solution doesn't help other new items (like poly) where I'm restricted to one opponent.

Rheotorical question / answer: Yes, if they're joining many of the same one against a player at the same time. Otherwise my only other solution is to foe them, which I'd rather not do.
It maybe in CC best interest to play more games, while making sure that experience isn't frustrating as hell for the user. I don't want to have to bulk up my games to 100 when I could play 75 just because 5 players join up 5-10 games instead of 1-3.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Artimis on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:51 am

IcePack wrote:3) this solution doesn't help other new items (like poly) where I'm restricted to one opponent.

Polymorphic is a new setting to me, I've not tried it yet. Perhaps you could password protect your games and invite challengers from the forum or even your friends list or user groups? At least it's easier than asking for code changes on the website that could have unintended consequences.

Back in 2008 - 2010 when I used to play a lot, Mightor would play almost exclusively on password protected games, this allowed him to screen players in advance before they could join his games. It's quite an effective method.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Return to Suggestions