Conquer Club

super annoying pixel error

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

super annoying pixel error

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:36 am

yes this is a real nerd suggestion, but there is no reason to let stuff badly done for years just because it's a few pixels... as it's a very easy fix I suppose.

Basically, on our wall page, there has always been this pixel error on the medal display.
There are 4 type of medals (super, game, community and contribution)
The first line of each medal type are all aligned vertically; but then, if you have a second line on any of these, they are not aligned, and they are a few pixels backwards. It just doesn't look good. It's been bothering me for years aesthetically each time i land on my wall page... any chance you guys can align it all vertically (it's aligned vertically when we post for example..)
Major betiko

Re: super annoying pixel error

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 am

Do you mean it's not aligned horizontally? If so, I can see that.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby IcePack on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 am

Hes saying the vertical columns are broken up and need to be moved horizontally to fix the columns.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby EBConquer on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am

Vertically is the correct nomenclature.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:15 am

EBConquer wrote:Vertically is the correct nomenclature.

Vertical alignment (as in CSS) is a specific term meaning alignment up or down. But based on looking at the wall page, the issue I see is that the latter rows are offset to the left (i.e. horizontally). Anyway I don't care about the terminology, I just want to make sure I understand what is being discussed.

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

Vertical alignment (as in CSS) is a specific term meaning alignment up or down. But based on looking at the wall page, the issue I see is that the latter rows are offset to the left (i.e. horizontally). Anyway I don't care about the terminology, I just want to make sure I understand what is being discussed.

I still don t understand your logic... horizontally everything is perfectly fine, it's vertically that it's not aligned.
Whatever this CSS logic is... it s wrong. Basically, if you prefer, there is an alignment problem with the columns, not the rows
Major betiko

Postby riskllama on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I think more medals would solve this problem.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:35 pm

betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I still don t understand your logic... horizontally everything is perfectly fine, it's vertically that it's not aligned.
Whatever this CSS logic is... it s wrong. Basically, if you prefer, there is an alignment problem with the columns, not the rows

The way you're describing it is the reverse of what the issue actually is. The problem is that the rows after the first are all offset horizontally to the left compared to the first row, not that the later entries in each column are offset to the left relative to the first entry in the same column. From a visual perspective they are two ways of describing the same thing, but it makes a difference from a technical perspective.

It probably could be fixed straightforwardly by inserting some padding after each line break.

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:42 pm

I prefer the informal elegance of the offset top row. Don't change anything.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby InnyaFacce on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:51 pm

The easy fix ...
Row 408 of the coding
Remove the [ & nbsp ; ] at the start of the coding on that line
It will move everything over to the left and the alignment will be the same for every row
DAS SCHLOƟ āœŖ DOUBLES āœŖ F/S āœŖ 222 FROM 225 [99%] BEST WINNING STREAK āœŖ 92-0
Brigadier InnyaFacce

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

riskllama wrote:I think more medals would solve this problem.

Agreed
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

The way you're describing it is the reverse of what the issue actually is. The problem is that the rows after the first are all offset horizontally to the left compared to the first row, not that the later entries in each column are offset to the left relative to the first entry in the same column. From a visual perspective they are two ways of describing the same thing, but it makes a difference from a technical perspective.

It probably could be fixed straightforwardly by inserting some padding after each line break.

Shit you are one pain in the ass when you start being like that..
In terms of coding it s obviously written in lines not in columns like some kanji, but the result of this horizontal imperfection is a vertical imperfection. Ffs, let it go man
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

InnyaFacce wrote:The easy fix ...
Row 408 of the coding
Remove the [ & nbsp ; ] at the start of the coding on that line
It will move everything over to the left and the alignment will be the same for every row

And thanks. I have no idea if it needs to be done 4 times though?
Very few players have over one line per medal category, as a result, it looks like it's just for the gameplay medals were most users have several lines of medals that there is a problem.. but no. Look at josko s page for example, you can see how this issue happens for each category of medals
Major betiko

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm

betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

In terms of coding it s obviously written in lines not in columns like some kanji, but the result of this horizontal imperfection is a vertical imperfection. Ffs, let it go man

OK, I will let it go, along with any motivation to get this fixed.

Postby EBConquer on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 am

riskllama wrote:I think more medals would solve this problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P Good one.

Thought about this a bit. I agree w/ both sides on this. Mets definition makes total sense and completely what you would think is how it is. Especially w/ code yada. I have some real world experience w/ pixels in images, moving images,etc. We've always referred to a "justify left" or "right justification" with a mention of vertical. Not sure why but i believe it has something to do w/ the tools available in those programs. whether is dragging a guide (that's vertical) off the ruler or setting a guide in which you would check the 'vertical' button to then align things on the horizontal plane.

I don't think anybody here is wrong or right, it's just what industry you're in. But in terms of graphic design and vfx.... i'll stick w/ vertical. been that way w/ my peeps for 15+ years.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:17 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
betiko wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

OK, I will let it go, along with any motivation to get this fixed.

Volunteer of the month =D> =D> =D>

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:12 pm

IcePack wrote:Volunteer of the month =D> =D> =D>

You are welcome to do something about this if you desire.

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

Isn't that you know....the sole purpose of why you are here?

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Horizontal adjustment leads to vertical alignment.

HOWEVER, what I'd like to see is player-selected medal display options.

Personally, I want all my medals displayed in a three dimensional sphere and animated with Brownian motion.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby betiko on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:27 pm

IcePack wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Sorry but what suggestion got implemented or what error got fixed by mets? There probably are some stuff, but what i mostly see is that he's always discussing about the rhetorics.
In this case, it wasn't about understanding the problem I was adressing, it was just about being a smart ass.

Innyafacce goes straight to the point, finds the problem and the solution in one post..

How about you just retire mets? You're just a waste of aqua green pixels.
Major betiko

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Is that what his mint green name colour means? I just thought he was diseased.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm

IcePack wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I am here to recommend things that I think are actually worthy of the webmaster's time. "Super annoying pixel errors" don't usually cut it.

betiko wrote:Sorry but what suggestion got implemented or what error got fixed by mets? There probably are some stuff, but what i mostly see is that he's always discussing about the rhetorics.
In this case, it wasn't about understanding the problem I was adressing, it was just about being a smart ass.

Innyafacce goes straight to the point, finds the problem and the solution in one post..

No, my posts were about understanding the problem you were addressing, with the goal of trying to solve it. I merely wanted to make sure that I understood exactly what you wanted before I considered recommending something to the webmaster. Once I understood, I described how to solve it (and Inyafacce's solution is incorrect), not that it really matters. I don't understand why you don't value my clarification of a technical issue that you want a technical fix for. If you wish to persist in calling me an ass and saying I should retire you are welcome to, but don't expect any help from me in getting this fixed.

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

And why are you here? To join threads for the sole purpose of sniping at people?

betiko wrote:Sorry but what suggestion got implemented or what error got fixed by mets? There probably are some stuff, but what i mostly see is that he's always discussing about the rhetorics.

No, my posts were about understanding the problem you were addressing, with the goal of trying to solve it. I already described how to solve it. But yeah, call me an ass, see how far that gets you.

This isn't my volunteer section, so why I'm here is up to me. But nice deflection without answering the question.

I'm not "sniping" at people, I provided valid feedback to this topic and other suggestions. My question came when you let your personal feelings get in the way of your mod duties and took your ball and went home.

Telling me to do your job because you don't like something someone said is equally as stupid as your original comment to him.

But way to derail your own section as this still really has nothing to do with the suggestion or getting it implimented / fixed.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Mod tussle!!!
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby GoranZ on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm

@betiko
There are multiple locations with same/similar bugs. Are you talking about these 4 rows marked with red arrows? I think that the problem are the 3 rows(atm there are 3 for you) that are marked with green arrow. They are divided by <br\> element which is making problems for the layout.

IcePack wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Ice we will try to push UI change(or at least document the bug) as we already had done something similar in the past ;)

P.S. If someone is frontend expert please propose a fix for this bug(here or with private message to me or Metsfanmax), I don't have enough time atm and I'm not frontend expert.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Next

Return to Suggestions